Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
12.66%
35.44%
29.11%
16.46%
5.06%
1.27%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 11-05-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by rennervision
Surprised by how many people felt the humor in GOTG2 was forced, when here you have Willy Wonka music followed by Thor screaming like a girlie man. That scene would've worked better in Guardians and felt rather out of place in a Thor movie. (Among other bits.)
Yeah, glad to know I wasn't the only one bothered by Thor and that childish scream. There was another scene or two in which he had an extremely out-of-character reaction, can't recall what they were. But the scream was more Kevin Hart or Jack Black than Thor.
Old 11-05-17, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
By the way, anyone who criticizes a DC trailer for "using a classic rock song" needs a giant H branded right on their forehead.
But has any song used in a DC trailer be more on the nose than Immigrant Song? I mean, "hammer of the gods" - it's too perfect.
Old 11-05-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

I took my kids and my dad to see it this afternoon, and we enjoyed the hell out of it.

Cate was excellent, as were Tessa and Goldblum.

I really dug Mothersbaugh’s score.
Old 11-05-17, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8025806.html

Jaimie Alexander confirmed that she was asked to be part of this movie, but a scheduling conflict with her TV show prevented her for working on it.
Old 11-05-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
But the scream was more Kevin Hart or Jack Black than Thor.
I agree that it was goofy, but he was clearly imitating Gene Wilder's scream from the psychedelic boat trip. I probably laughed harder at that unexpected homage than anything else in the movie.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dsu-gtEoUMU" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-05-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
I took my kids and my dad to see it this afternoon, and we enjoyed the hell out of it.

Cate was excellent, as were Tessa and Goldblum.

I really dug Mothersbaugh’s score.
Yeah...I finally understand why people gripe about many of the scores for Marvel Universe films being bland as this one had a score that made me feel something as the music played and the action roared on the screen. Future Marvel film directors can take a cue from Thor Ragnarok on how a score can be something other than instantly forgettable after you leave the theater.
Old 11-05-17, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Apparently Karen O. from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs did the the vocals for this version of Immigrant Song.
Old 11-05-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

I went to see this at an 11:10 AM showing, got there 45 minutes early, and it was sold out.

First time that has ever happened to me at that theater - and I've seen a ton of movies there including Star Wars The Force Awakens and the first Avengers movie. It was crazy crowded - we ended up going to the 12:50 showing, got there at 11:55 an the theater was already half full.

And when it was all over my family and I were all VERY glad we waited until the later show rather than waiting another week - it was a FUN movie.

It was outrageously over the top, and the humor was a little over the top (there were a couple scenes where the jokes did seem just a tad forced), but it was one of the wildest rides we've had in a theater in a long, long time.

I laughed, I had fun, and I was thoroughly entertained. Definitely my favorite Marvel movie this year.
Old 11-06-17, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

There was one thing I forgot to bring up ...

When Hulk is fighting the giant wolf and is underwater, they make a point of showing the wolf drawing blood from Hulk and the blood mixing in the water ... I thought there was going to be some payoff for that, but I suppose the point is moot since Asgard was vaporized.
Old 11-06-17, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

What was the song used in the area?

I loved every second of it.

I can't believe I missed the play cameos. Anyone have screenshots? Haven't been able to find them anywhere.
Old 11-06-17, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I don't really like many of the MCU films. I've enjoyed maybe 3 or 4 of the 20 +. I get to see them free, so I usually do. But after the lackluster GotG 2 and the hot pile of garbage that was Spiderman Homecoming even free was becoming too high a price. But the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok floored me. I was stoked for the film and it didn't disappoint. For me this is easily the best of all the MCU films. It was just so much fun. The HUMOR, the great fight & action scenes, the production design, the score, the chemistry between the actors, The Doctor Strange surprise. The Damon, Hemsworth and Neill cameo's. Jeff Goldblum! The amazing use of Led Zeppelin. The not having to sit through tedious Captain America or Iron Man appearences. I thought everything worked very well. It was fun from beginning to end. It's a shame the characters in this have to go back and get bogged down in another Avengers movie. I'd like to see a direct follow up to this film.

3.5/5
Old 11-06-17, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Apparently Karen O. from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs did the the vocals for this version of Immigrant Song.
Is it the Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo version or just the original instrumental with her voice?
Old 11-06-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I don't really like many of the MCU films. I've enjoyed maybe 3 or 4 of the 20 +. I get to see them free, so I usually do. But after the lackluster GotG 2 and the hot pile of garbage that was Spiderman Homecoming even free was becoming too high a price. But the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok floored me. I was stoked for the film and it didn't disappoint. For me this is easily the best of all the MCU films. It was just so much fun. The HUMOR, the great fight & action scenes, the production design, the score, the chemistry between the actors, The Doctor Strange surprise. The Damon, Hemsworth and Neill cameo's. Jeff Goldblum! The amazing use of Led Zeppelin. The not having to sit through tedious Captain America or Iron Man appearences. I thought everything worked very well. It was fun from beginning to end. It's a shame the characters in this have to go back and get bogged down in another Avengers movie. I'd like to see a direct follow up to this film.

3.5/5
All that, and you still only gave it a B? Tough critic.
Old 11-06-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

A bit of a let down for me. It was fun, but the humor was just too hit or miss for me, with far too much of it. And because there was so much of it, I thought it kind of overshadowed a fairly weak and basic plot. Hela was underwhelming, and her appearence and Odin's backstory reveal didn't nearly have the impact that it should have. I also thought the entire Raganrok thing never felt as ominous as it should have. Luckily, Thor, Hulk, and Loki are strong enough to carry the entire movie. I thought Guardians 2 and Spider-Man were much better as far as MCU movies this year.
Old 11-06-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Is it the Girl w/ Dragon Tattoo version or just the original instrumental with her voice?

Original instrumental with her voice.
Old 11-06-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

I was glad to see that Tessa was 'a' Valkyrie and not 'the' Valkyrie. Made sense in that respect.

The play cameos were hilarious as were most of the one liners throughout.
Old 11-06-17, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo

The play cameos were hilarious as were most of the one liners throughout.
They should have used Liam Hemsworth, I had not idea there was another brother.

I really liked the Thor/Banner stuff, everything else was meh. I was expecting it to be laugh out loud funny, it just wasn't for me. And it all seemed disjointed, like they put together the flimsiest of plots to connect the jokes together. It should be the other way around.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 11-06-17 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it. Saw it with my kids and my sister and her one-line review upon leaving the movie was "I could walk right back in and watch it again!"

I thought the humour hit every time. Our theatre had some big pops for Hulk in the arena and for the Immigrant Song fight on the bridge.

I'll admit I didn't recognize Matt Damon in the play - I knew it was someone famous as the crowd went "Ooooh!" but I only recognized Hemsworth and Sam Neill. Damon just had this weird "fat face" thing going on where I thought he looked familiar but couldn't place who he was.

A question for those who would know more than me - is there a connection between the Grandmaster and the Collector? They both had that little blue line on their bottom lip and chin.
Old 11-06-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Fanboy
Saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it. Saw it with my kids and my sister and her one-line review upon leaving the movie was "I could walk right back in and watch it again!"

I thought the humour hit every time. Our theatre had some big pops for Hulk in the arena and for the Immigrant Song fight on the bridge.

I'll admit I didn't recognize Matt Damon in the play - I knew it was someone famous as the crowd went "Ooooh!" but I only recognized Hemsworth and Sam Neill. Damon just had this weird "fat face" thing going on where I thought he looked familiar but couldn't place who he was.

A question for those who would know more than me - is there a connection between the Grandmaster and the Collector? They both had that little blue line on their bottom lip and chin.

They're brothers and cosmic beings. They cannot die and have vast powers.
Old 11-06-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Anyone else like Tessa performance? She really owned that roll.
Old 11-06-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by csant

Love her.
Old 11-06-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Old 11-06-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

She has that Michelle Rodriguez bitchy vibe.
Old 11-06-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I can't answer if it was a last minute change but a lot of stuff shown at SDCC is unfinished footage.

I guess the same could be said about the original teaser. That whole alley scene (where Hela destroys Mjolnir) was completely changed in the film.
Old 11-06-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

The scene where Hulk, Thor, Valkyrie, and Loki are all standing side by side on the bridge to confront Hela which was all over the trailers is also nowhere to be found in the finished film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.