Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
12.66%
35.44%
29.11%
16.46%
5.06%
1.27%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

It’s only three months until Black Panther comes out.
Old 11-03-17, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wish they would have added a few more minutes to build supporting characters on the planet hulk side of things. You get introduced to meek for a brief second, see him with knives and then at the end of the film you're suppose to care for him fighting the dead soldiers and brought up as dead at the end? Eh, if you wanted me to care or even remember why these are thor's... well, anything, then why not build up something.

Other than feeling like a solid 10-15 minutes could be added to the film to flesh out these things between slapstick comedy bit, it was solid.
Old 11-03-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Best Thor movie and non-Captain America Marvel movie for me to date.

Loved the humor. The theater I was in had the audience rolling laughing their asses off. Hemsworth was terrific with the comedy. I also loved Loki. Amazing how he’s changed from diabolical villain to Thor’s sorta sidekick. The Dr. Strange cameo was awesome, but they did kind of tease their interaction at the end of his movie.

Also loved the Comradery between Thor and Hulk.

Can’t wait too see what happens when the people of Asgard along with Thor and Hulk finally get to earth.

The 6 more months left until the next movie are going to fly by.

It was a little weird that Sif wasn’t around or even mentioned considering how big she was in the first 2 movies. But it’s understandable considering Alexander has Blindspot and there was no way she could work on this.

One could assume (possible IW spoiler)
Spoiler:
they all get blown to hell since you see Thor floating in space among some wreakage in the leaked Infinity War footage or Loki may transport them somewhere using the Tesseract
Old 11-03-17, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was a little weird that Sif wasn’t around or even mentioned considering how big she was in the first 2 movies. But it’s understandable considering Alexander has Blindspot and there was no way she could work on this.
But with how little screen time Volstagg, Hogun and Fandrall got I'm still surprised she couldn't fly out for a day, do the shoot and fly back. Figured they would at least mention her since she was in the play.
Old 11-04-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I didn't care for them using the Led Zeppelin track -- twice, I think. It was cliched, because the Destiny video game promotions did first a couple of years ago. They should have gotten different tracks. IMO.
Old 11-04-17, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I liked it quite a bit. All the new characters were good and Hemsworth and Hiddleston seemed at the top of their game playing their respective characters. I also hadn’t read too much about the film before seeing it so Doctor Strange showing up was a welcome surprise. Though given the post credit scene in Doctor Strange it really shouldn’t have been a surprise but I sort of forgot about it. Of course it was also great seeing Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk. I liked how the humor between him and Thor played out. Jeff Goldblum was odd as the Grandmaster but that’s just the character and it worked.

I’m a bit surprised at the changes Thor went through in this film. I mean not only losing Mjolnir and having his hair cut but I couldn’t believe that he loses an eye. I know it happened in an old comic arc too but changing up the character’s look that much and so permanently was unexpected. Overall I liked the film. It had a good balance of humor along with a good story and character arcs.

I think if I’m rating the MCU films from this year I’d go:

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

All are good but I liked Spider-Man: Homecoming just slightly more. Also among the Thor films I’d probably say this is the best, followed by the original (which I’ve always felt is somewhat underrated), and The Dark World.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-04-17 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-04-17, 02:54 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I didn't care for them using the Led Zeppelin track -- twice, I think. It was cliched, because the Destiny video game promotions did first a couple of years ago. They should have gotten different tracks. IMO.
Disagree completely. The song fits perfectly in terms of effectiveness, plot, and out right zaniness of the film. But to each their own. Who cares about what a game like Destiny uses for their promos? (which I don’t even remember, and I followed and played the game quite a bit upon release and was never good enough to justify the use of this song, and I have no interest in 2)
Old 11-04-17, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Really enjoyed this one. The film started strong and never let up.
Old 11-04-17, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I thought it was great they used a song that was actually in the trailer.

And I've never played Destiny...
Old 11-04-17, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I liked it quite a bit. All the new characters were good and Hemsworth and Hiddleston seemed at the top of their game playing their respective characters. I also hadn’t read too much about the film before seeing it so Doctor Strange showing up was a welcome surprise. Though given the post credit scene in Doctor Strange it really shouldn’t have been a surprise but I sort of forgot about it. Of course it was also great seeing Ruffalo as Banner/Hulk. I liked how the humor between him and Thor played out. Jeff Goldblum was odd as the Grandmaster but that’s just the character and it worked.

I’m a bit surprised at the changes Thor went through in this film. I mean not only losing Mjolnir and having his hair cut but I couldn’t believe that he loses an eye. I know it happened in an old comic arc too but changing up the character’s look that much and so permanently was unexpected. Overall I liked the film. It had a good balance of humor along with a good story and character arcs.

I think if I’m rating the MCU films from this year I’d go:

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

All are good but I liked Spider-Man: Homecoming just slightly more. Also among the Thor films I’d probably say this is the best, followed by the original (which I’ve always felt is somewhat underrated), and The Dark World.
Same with all of this except for the rating. For me:

Thor
GotG2
Spiderman

I was entertained by the movie Spider-Man. Keaton and Holland's interactions were top notch. But I thought they went too techy with the suit. Plus Tom Holland's voice is a tad squeaky for a 2 hour movie.
Old 11-04-17, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm wondering if that was a last minute change because you don't see that in any of the trailers//tv spots and (possible IW spoiler)
Spoiler:
it's definitely not present in the Infinity War leaked footage from SDCC.
Old 11-04-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I'm wondering if that was a last minute change because you don't see that in any of the trailers//tv spots and (possible IW spoiler)
Spoiler:
I can't answer if it was a last minute change but a lot of stuff shown at SDCC is unfinished footage.
Old 11-04-17, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife and I loved it, so much so that we debated if it was better than Guardians1. The first Thor was meh, and we didn't even see the second. This movie FELT like a Thor movie.

Hel was generic, and her henchman needed a little more depth. The gladiators seemed a like a tack-on.

But the relationship with his brother is great. Thor & Hulk teaming up is great; I wasn't in to either but they always kind of seemed like they fit together, like a dumb buddy movie. The comedy works for me, in a dumb buddy movie/comic book kind of way. Adding a valkyrie was a great way to get a woman in to the movie in a way that didn't seem forced and fit.

But ... I think this wasn't a comic book movie. This is a Heavy Metal movie. All of the visuals and the sound seemed like it came out of a 70's Heavy Metal issue. And Immigrant Song was PERFECT, like the song and movie scenes were the perfect match up. Devo for the win!
Old 11-04-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Surprised by how many people felt the humor in GOTG2 was forced, when here you have Willy Wonka music followed by Thor screaming like a girlie man. That scene would've worked better in Guardians and felt rather out of place in a Thor movie. (Among other bits.)
Old 11-04-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I shouldn't read reviews. I was all hyped for this but it let me down. Not to say this wasn't a great movie, because it was, just not as good as I thought it was going to be. I enjoyed the humor and appreciated it. Did anyone else think Hulk's voice sounded weird? Sounded very processed and robotic in my showing. Anyone care to spoiler list the cameos? I know the two obvious ones..

Spoiler:
Stan Lee and Matt Damon

What other ones were there?

Last edited by Deftones; 11-04-17 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-04-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I shouldn't read reviews. I was all hyped for this but it let me down. Not to say this wasn't a great movie, because it was, just not as good as I thought it was going to be. Anyone care to spoiler list the cameos? I know the two obvious ones..

Spoiler:
Stan Lee and Matt Damon

What other ones were there?

Spoiler:
Sam Neill as Odin

Luke Hemsworth as Thor
Old 11-04-17, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The play scene was fucking gold.
Old 11-04-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoyed this. It wasn't really a Thor movie though, and had more in common with Flash Gordon then a superhero movie. It's probably the Marvel movie I've enjoyed the most since the first Guardians. Not much more to say about it honestly as it was entertaining but very unremarkable. Hulk was a great addition. Not really a fan of Thor without a hammer though.

Much like Guardians 2, I thought the humor in this was way too forced and it almost bordered on being a comedy. Kind of funny almost 20 years after the death of the comic book movie for being too campy and corny that the Marvel movies ratchet up the campiness and corniness and people are flocking to it.

Overall I would give it a 4/5.
Old 11-04-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Spoiler:
Sam Neill as Odin

Luke Hemsworth as Thor
Oh ok. I got the 1st one. I sort of recognized the 2nd but couldn't place him. Thanks
Old 11-04-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There’s a difference between campy comedy that’s cringeworthy and didn’t work at the time (I’m looking at Batman & Robin as the obvious example) versus comedy that’s well written to the characters. It also helps when you have a director who’s more well versed in comedy.

I also don’t think I’d label Marvel’s brand of comedy as campy or corny. It’s often self aware and in this film it comes close to parody a few times more than anything. I think it works for the most part. There are some instances where they maybe go too much in that direction but I think they’ve managed to find a good balance in most of their films.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-04-17 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-04-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There’s a difference between campy comedy that’s cringeworthy and didn’t work at the time (I’m looking at Batman & Robin as the obvious example) versus comedy that’s well written to the characters. It also helps when you have a director who’s well versed in comedy.
Is it really though? Thor was basically written as a buffoon and Loki is becoming comic relief more and more. That's not counting everyone in Spider-Man being comic relief and everyone in Guardians 2 having one liners.
Old 11-04-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Is it really though? Thor was basically written as a buffoon and Loki is becoming comic relief more and more. That's not counting everyone in Spider-Man being comic relief and everyone in Guardians 2 having one liners.
The comedy in this wasn’t campy though. A film like Batman & Robin was campy at the time and never worked. Thor has been somewhat of a buffoon before (particularly in the first solo film). The comedic aspects were ramped up more but hey people also liked it more than the other Thor films so if it works it works.
Old 11-04-17, 12:37 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Spoiler:
It will be in IW:
http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/04/thor...tainmentweekly
Old 11-04-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Saw it this morning and this movie is pure confection. I think it's the first in the MCU to really embrace the absurdity of comic books and just let it all hang out. I would be interested in seeing them try that and not feel the need to subvert the entire exercise by playing it as comedy, but this is fun for what it is. There's only the barest threads of a script, but in this case it mostly works. I did think the Strange cameo was completely pointless (wouldn't be the MCU without a lot of unnecessary world building) and the movie kind of stops dead in its tracks for a bit after the Thor/Hulk fight (Why wasn't Thor squished dead by Hulk? Why were they just hanging out in Hulk's apartment by the tub with no supervision except for maybe Valkyrie?), but once it gets going again, it's all good. Hela was awesome, but I wish she had more to do. She at least made enough of an impression that I won't completely forget her within 48 hours like so many of the other Marvel villains. I don't think it's the best MCU film, but it's probably the most fun. Guardians is the one that it will likely be compared to the most, but I think I preferred Ragnarok just for the sheer spectacle of it all.
Old 11-04-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I enjoyed the movie overall, but one of my least favorites of the MCU. Didn’t mind the comedy, but terrible writing. The entire middle hour does nothing to further the plot. Basically, the Asgard story just sits on hold while Thor is stuck on a planet. An hour long diversion to fill time and make jokes.

And gee, what a coincidence that Thor happens to land on the planet where the Hulk happens to be, as well as the last surviving Valkyrie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.