Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

12 Strong (2018) S: Chris Hemsworth, Michael Shannon, Michael Peña, Trevante Rhodes

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

12 Strong (2018) S: Chris Hemsworth, Michael Shannon, Michael Peña, Trevante Rhodes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 09:52 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZbaxB1oTjQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris Hemsworth and Oscar nominee, Michael Shannon, star in 12 STRONG, a powerful new war drama from Alcon Entertainment, Black Label Media and Jerry Bruckheimer Films.

Set in the harrowing days following 9/11, a U.S. Special Forces team, led by their new Captain, Mitch Nelson (Chris Hemsworth), is chosen to be the first U.S. troops sent into Afghanistan for an extremely dangerous mission. There, in the rugged mountains, they must convince Northern Alliance General Dostum (Navid Negahban) to join forces with them to fight their common adversary: the Taliban and their Al Qaeda allies. In addition to overcoming mutual distrust and a vast cultural divide, the Americans—accustomed to state-of-the-art warfare—must adopt the rudimentary tactics of the Afghani horse soldiers. But despite their uneasy bond, the new allies face overwhelming odds: outnumbered and outgunned by a ruthless enemy that does not take prisoners.

Directed by Nicolai Fuglsig and based on the acclaimed “Horse Soldiers” book by best-selling author Doug Stanton, 12 STRONG also stars Michael Peña, Navid Negahban, Trevante Rhodes, Geoff Stults, Thad Luckinbill, Austin Stowell, Ben O’Toole, Austin Hebert, Kenneth Miller, Kenny Sheard, Jack Kesy, Laith Nakli, Fahim Fazli, Yousuf Azami, Said Taghmaoui, Elsa Pataky, William Fichtner, and Rob Riggle.
Old 10-20-17, 10:35 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: 12 Strong (2018) S: Chris Hemsworth, Michael Shannon, Michael Peña, Trevante Rhodes

Where was this filmed?

Saw the trailer in front of Blade Runner. Looks pretty bad, but I will say that there is a shot in the trailer, near the end, when a horse lurches to its feet while a soldier on foot fires his weapon, and it is just a beautiful shot.
Old 01-15-18, 07:38 AM

Re: 12 Strong (2018) S: Chris Hemsworth, Michael Shannon, Michael Peña, Trevante Rhod

Opens this week.
Old 01-15-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 12 Strong (2018) S: Chris Hemsworth, Michael Shannon, Michael Peña, Trevante Rhod

I forsee another Chris Hemsworth bomb. He sure is lucky to have Thor.
Old 01-15-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ This. I kind of feel bad for Hemsworth as he is a good actor outside of the Thor franchise as well, but this is not the kind of movie that shows of those skills. If Shape of Water has not expanded to my area next weekend, then I may use MoviePass on this one.
Old 01-15-18, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ This. I kind of feel bad for Hemsworth as he is a good actor outside of the Thor franchise as well, but this is not the kind of movie that shows of those skills. If Shape of Water has not expanded to my area next weekend, then I may use MoviePass on this one.
I wonder why he doesn't do the indie route? At this point in his career, money is no longer an issue and the financial freedom he gets from being in the MCU should let him explore more artistic projects. Imagine if he was in Call Me By Your Name in Armie Hammer's role or something like that. When you're in indies, the pressure to have the movie be a big hit is greatly reduced and it can get you a lot of cred.
Old 01-15-18, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to laugh a little at the tagline. "On September 12, 2001, they volunteered to fight." Yeah, them and every other meat-eating American service member at the time.

You can volunteer to fight but you only get to do what Uncle Sam actually orders you to do. Those guys were from 5th Group which operates in the CENTCOM arena so they stood a good chance of going.

I am getting tired of war films set in the middle east using the same damn "MIDDLE EASTERN" set west of Simi Valley in southern California though. You can see right through it, the exact same terrain and cluster of village buildings.

At least in 'Lone Survivor' they filmed it in New Mexico and opened up the breadth of "Afghanistan" on film to show they have actual mountains and forests that aren't what you can find in southern California. Enough of the same set Hollywood!
Old 01-16-18, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Seeing Michael Shannon on that poster has me sold. I'll check it out.
Old 01-17-18, 09:27 AM

Reviews starting to come in:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/12_strong
Old 01-17-18, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hollywood Reporter gave it a strong review, called it a feel-good war movie that felt like a John Wayne Western. The bride has decided she wants to go see it for date night.
Old 01-17-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

feel-good war movie that felt like a John Wayne Western
'Murica, fuck yeah? I'll wait for the BD.
Old 01-17-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
I've got to laugh a little at the tagline. "On September 12, 2001, they volunteered to fight." Yeah, them and every other meat-eating American service member at the time.

You can volunteer to fight but you only get to do what Uncle Sam actually orders you to do. Those guys were from 5th Group which operates in the CENTCOM arena so they stood a good chance of going.

I am getting tired of war films set in the middle east using the same damn "MIDDLE EASTERN" set west of Simi Valley in southern California though. You can see right through it, the exact same terrain and cluster of village buildings.

At least in 'Lone Survivor' they filmed it in New Mexico and opened up the breadth of "Afghanistan" on film to show they have actual mountains and forests that aren't what you can find in southern California. Enough of the same set Hollywood!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1413492/...?ref_=tt_dt_dt

Says it was filmed in New Mexico, so I'm sure they used the Lone Survivor sets. Just one filming location in CA and it was Santa Clarita.
Old 01-17-18, 04:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanjules

What exactly are you referring to when you say “set west of Simi Valley”? Do you mean east?

12 Strong was filmed in New Mexico.

California’s Eastern Sierra actually looks a hell of a lot like Afghanistan, and was used well for that terrain in Iron Man.

Edit: I found the movie ranch you are talking about. It is worthy of another thread.

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-18-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-20-18, 09:39 PM

Saw this tonight with the wife.

Pretty straightforward telling of the “Horse Soldiers” mission in Afghanistan right after 9-11.

Decent war action, good acting. More upbeat than most of these types of films. Michael Pena brought a lot of humor.

3.5 out of 5.
Old 01-21-18, 01:00 PM

From my review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Mini-review - 12 Strong (R) - No-frills, straight-forward telling of the first U.S. military action against the Taliban in Afghanistan after 9-11

Just weeks after the 2001 terrorist attack that destroyed the World Trade Center, a dozen Army Special Forces soldiers must team up with an Afghan warlord and his men, and travel old-school through treacherous territory to reach a Taliban stronghold. And yes, they all must ride horses.

Starring Chris Hemsworth, Michael Shannon, and Michael Pena, 12 Strong is a pretty by-the-numbers action war movie that gets the job done. It is also the most overall upbeat story about the war in Afghanistan that I can recall. Very similar to the "troops on a mission" stories we've seen on film and TV in recent years that focuses on the camaraderie of our fighting men and women and their families. Also, there's a surprising amount of humor to offset some of the horrors of war.

Overall score: A solid 3.5 out of 5. It won't win any awards, but it just deepens the appreciation of the sacrifices made by those in uniform.

NOTES TO PARENTS: 12 Strong is rated R mostly for the constant use of the F-bomb, and for intense war-related violence. An Afghan woman is shot in the head for teaching young girls. Dozens of Afghan soldiers on both sides of the fight, are shot or blown up. After battles, bodies are shown strewn about the battlefields.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons
Old 01-26-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very action packed with engrossing,realistic battle scenes. Chris Helms finally had a good one outside of the Thor universe. I felt the dialogue had a few too many canned speech moments instead of conversation. Very good story based on the first group into Afghanistan after 9/11 who end up fighting on horseback in the rough terrain. Fighting an enemy with tons of Russian army ordinance around and a suicidal zeal, they'll pretend to surrender and blow themselves up. They'll kill woman who try to teach or learn. Robb Riggle who was a Marine and William Fichtner who is an upstate NY boy co-star. Michael Shannon and Michael Pena who played key roles in World Trade Center are also among the 12 soldiers. I give it a 3.5/5

If you disliked any of the other recent war genre movies like 13 Hours, American Sniper, or Zero Dark Thirty this won't change your mind. Soldiers talk and act a certain way in these movies and this one is no different.
Old 01-29-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I saw a matinee of 12 Strong today and IMO it was decent. An interesting story, but overall a fairly generic war biopic.

I would say the set designs and battle scene are very well directed and executed. There was some pretty good shootout sequences. And I agree this is probably Chris Hemsworth's best movie outside of the Thor films. I mean it was fine. A very well made movie, but nothing I thought was very unique in this genre. I personally preferred 13 Hours from last year. I thought that was a much more intense, high stakes movie.

I did think Rob Riggle was miscast playing one of his commanding officers. A good one-time watch, but nothing I think I need to re-visit again.

Overall a B-
Old 01-30-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw a matinee of 12 Strong today and IMO it was decent. An interesting story, but overall a fairly generic war biopic.

I would say the set designs and battle scene are very well directed and executed. There was some pretty good shootout sequences. And I agree this is probably Chris Hemsworth's best movie outside of the Thor films. I mean it was fine. A very well made movie, but nothing I thought was very unique in this genre. I personally preferred 13 Hours from last year. I thought that was a much more intense, high stakes movie.

I did think Rob Riggle was miscast playing one of his commanding officers. A good one-time watch, but nothing I think I need to re-visit again.

Overall a B-
Saw this last Saturday. This sums it up perfectly.
Old 02-11-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Overall a B-
These are pretty much my sentiments as well. I enjoyed it for the most part and thought Hemsworth, Shannon, and Peña were all very good but outside those three (and maybe a little of a fourth) the rest of the 12 man squad went relatively unnoticed.

After it was over I couldn’t help but think that a more competent director probably could have made this a much more memorable movie. I did enjoy some of the shootouts and appreciated that they didn’t overly dramatize certain aspects
Spoiler:
Hemsworth’s first kill was done so matter of factly that you may miss it
but overall I think I slightly lacked the emotional depth that it needed. Some of that may have been helped by a better score as well.

In recent war movies I’d place it ahead of American Sniper but behind 13 Hours and Lone Survivor.