DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Babysitter (2017, D: McG) S: Weaving, Amell, Thorne -- Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/641696-babysitter-2017-d-mcg-s-weaving-amell-thorne-netflix.html)

dex14 10-08-17 09:16 AM

The Babysitter (2017, D: McG) S: Weaving, Amell, Thorne -- Netflix

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,1000_AL_.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6qCqrODw1nM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Babysitter, directed by McG, follows Cole (Judah Lewis), who is madly in love with his babysitter Bee (Samara Weaving). She's cool and awesome in all the ways Cole is not. One evening while Bee is babysitting, Cole witnesses the unthinkable. Now he must survive a night full of first kisses, first broken hearts, and first encounters with homicidal maniacs (played by Bella Thorne, Andrew Bachelor, Robbie Amell, and Hana Mae Lee).

Why So Blu? 10-08-17 09:45 AM

re: The Babysitter (2017, D: McG) S: Weaving, Amell, Thorne -- Netflix

Saw the trailer a few days ago. It's McG doing horror/grindhouse. I did like the trailer. The blonde is hot as hell.

OldBoy 10-08-17 12:32 PM

that looked so fun...

dex14 10-08-17 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13175952)
Saw the trailer a few days ago. It's McG doing horror/grindhouse. I did like the trailer. The blonde is hot as hell.

Hugo’s niece.

She’s was good in The Fappening.

Why So Blu? 10-08-17 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13176105)
Hugo’s niece.

She’s was good in The Fappening.

I knew there was a relation there -- she was in Mystery Road.

Dr. DVD 10-08-17 04:13 PM

Poster alone makes this worth a viewing IMO.

Dr. DVD 10-08-17 06:47 PM

Okay, just had a chance to watch the trailer and my first observation is that the kid is too old to still be having a babysitter. Maybe they'll make that a plot point. I was on my own when my parents went out for a night not long after turning 12, he's clearly past that stage.

TomOpus 10-08-17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13176434)
Okay, just had a chance to watch the trailer and my first observation is that the kid is too old to still be having a babysitter. Maybe they'll make that a plot point. I was on my own when my parents went out for a night not long after turning 12, he's clearly past that stage.

It's a movie about a hot babysitter. Who fucking cares about the age of the kid?

dex14 10-13-17 06:14 PM

Watched this this afternoon. Entertaining enough. Some good laughs and gore. Easy watch at essentially 80 mins.

astrochimp 10-15-17 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13181270)
Watched this this afternoon. Entertaining enough. Some good laughs and gore. Easy watch at essentially 80 mins.

Same review for me.

Funny because I didn't realize it was a movie at first. I thought it was a new Netflix show and was wondering why they were moving the plot ahead so fast :lol:

RichC2 10-17-17 10:30 PM

This was just a really odd little movie to me, relatable in some regards though haha

islandclaws 10-18-17 01:58 PM

I wasn't nuts about this one.

Tried too hard to be clever. Characters felt more like caricatures. Weird tonal shifts and some forced comedy kept taking me out of the movie. Needed more mythology; not an exposition bath but a bit more insight might've been nice.

I did dig the color palette and production design, though.

Also funny, they shot this entire thing at WB Ranch. You can see the houses from Lethal Weapon and National Lampoon in the background. The pool scene was shot right next to the famous fountain from Friends.

Why So Blu? 10-20-17 01:53 AM

Finally got around to watching this today and it was tons of fun. Samara Weaving is hot as hell. The gore was hilarious -- it reminded me of Grindhouse and the Kill Bill movies. It's destined to be a cult hit, and here's hoping
Spoiler:
they make a sequel, because Bee isn't really dead, if you watched the mid-credit sequence

The film is like 80 minutes without credits, so one can knock it out in no time.

Traxan 10-28-17 07:13 PM

Saw it yesterday. It's actually not bad despite being the modern equivalent of a direct to video release. It's a major send-up of 80s horror movies with Home Alone thrown in. It stretches things that a bullied 12yo kid can stand up to college-age adults, not to mention how no one in the neighborhood notices the random explosions, screaming and gunfire.

I watched it out of interest in Bella Thorne and it turned out Samara Weaving totally owned the movie. The bit where Thorne takes a bullet to the boob has some hilarious dialogue.

It's not an in your face parody but it does send up 80s horror movie conventions nicely, like how the guy in the group spends the whole movie shirtless. A good rental if there's nothing else on Netflix that strikes your interest.

There was one bit of sloppiness, or hanging thread.

Spoiler:
They teased Cole's parents were bordering on divorce. THere was no resolution to that issue.

d2cheer 10-30-17 03:05 PM

Saw this over the weekend and liked it quite a bit. I loved when the kid
Spoiler:
wakes up and sees the guy shirtless and asks why he doesn't have a shirt on. She goes really that is your first question?
Busted out laughing at that.

The spin the bottle scene was priceless. I too was taken out of it a bit how no one in the neighborhood notices the random explosions, screaming and gunfire. That would be my minor negative on it. The movie was pretty solid.

Obey The D 10-30-17 04:42 PM

Watched this one a few days ago, and I though it was a lot of fun. I definitely enjoyed this more than Better Watch Out, which I had watched several days earlier.

Why So Blu? 10-30-17 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Traxan (Post 13192814)
Saw it yesterday. It's actually not bad despite being the modern equivalent of a direct to video release. It's a major send-up of 80s horror movies with Home Alone thrown in. It stretches things that a bullied 12yo kid can stand up to college-age adults, not to mention how no one in the neighborhood notices the random explosions, screaming and gunfire.

I watched it out of interest in Bella Thorne and it turned out Samara Weaving totally owned the movie. The bit where Thorne takes a bullet to the boob has some hilarious dialogue.

It's not an in your face parody but it does send up 80s horror movie conventions nicely, like how the guy in the group spends the whole movie shirtless. A good rental if there's nothing else on Netflix that strikes your interest.

There was one bit of sloppiness, or hanging thread.

Spoiler:
They teased Cole's parents were bordering on divorce. THere was no resolution to that issue.

Sure there was.

Spoiler:
The mom was giving the dad a hand job.

Traxan 10-30-17 05:27 PM

Yeah and couldn't have looked less enthused by it.

Why So Blu? 10-30-17 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Traxan (Post 13194306)
Yeah and couldn't have looked less enthused by it.

Spoiler:
So that means a divorce is looming?

Traxan 10-30-17 10:19 PM

That's my point. It was unanswered.

d2cheer 10-31-17 11:14 AM

That is your concern??? :lol: Never gave it a thought.

Maxflier 11-12-17 07:08 PM

I thought it was pretty good, enjoyed it quite a bit.
My God is Bella Thorne hot. And Weaving ain’t too shabby either.

Yeti4623 11-14-17 11:03 AM

This movie is OTT and obnoxious, but there's so much energy and fun performances that it's hard not to enjoy. It throws in everything, practically.

Defiant1 11-14-17 02:46 PM

I recently saw this and loved it! Samara Weaving is a real find. Not only is she smoking hot, her comedic timing and overall acting is fantastic.

The movie itself was a hoot. Particularly loved the use of on-screen graphics. Some fun kills and gore and lots of great one-liners. Robbie Amell must have a very high tolerance for being exploited, although I guess I wouldn't mind doffing my shirt if I looked like him too.

Rob V 11-14-17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Traxan (Post 13194576)
That's my point. It was unanswered.

If her enthusiasm is the barometer, I think I might be getting a divorce too.

d2cheer 11-14-17 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 13205953)
I recently saw this and loved it! Samara Weaving is a real find. Not only is she smoking hot, her comedic timing and overall acting is fantastic.

The movie itself was a hoot. Particularly loved the use of on-screen graphics. Some fun kills and gore and lots of great one-liners. Robbie Amell must have a very high tolerance for being exploited, although I guess I wouldn't mind doffing my shirt if I looked like him too.

You need to check out Mayhem with her as well. The movie is in the same type of vein so to speak...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4348012/

Abob Teff 11-26-17 01:29 AM

Just got done watching this and I would highly recommend it IF you enjoy things like Dale and Tucker vs. Evil. Very cornball dark comedy with some great performances.

Oh, and add Leslie Bibb as a redhead to the eye candy list!

OldBoy 01-03-18 08:27 PM

The Babysitter...this was bat shit insane and I loved every fucking minute of it! After seeing Mayhem with Weaving, I am so in love. She plays bad ass so well. This movie was simple, mindless and pure fun enjoyment. This and Mayhem are knock it out of the park winners. G-damn I had a blast.

Defiant1 01-03-18 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13205984)
You need to check out Mayhem with her as well. The movie is in the same type of vein so to speak...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4348012/

I saw it, and Weaver was great in it, as was Steven Yeung. Very similar to The Belko Experiment though.

Zodiac 01-04-18 10:31 AM

I really enjoy The Babysitter.

I wanted to check it out because I like Bella Thorne, but Weaving was excellent. Looking forward to seeing her in Mayhem.

OldBoy 01-04-18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zodiac (Post 13238674)
I really enjoy The Babysitter.

I wanted to check it out because I like Bella Thorne, but Weaving was excellent. Looking forward to seeing her in Mayhem.

See Mayhem. Same vein and Weaving is awesome in it. Plays similar kick ass character. Loved it.

Crankitup86 07-28-19 09:14 PM

It's a great movie.
and i would of loved to purchased the DVD But I don't think they officially released this movie to dvd..
which is a real shame.😔