Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 06-18-19, 11:18 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Decker
Am I supposed to know who Max Landis is, besides being the son of John Landis? He's a screenwriter for Netflix movies? That's as close to a nobody as you can get in Hollywood.
I would consider Chronicle, American Ultra, and Victor Frankenstein as A-list films
Old 06-18-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I would consider Chronicle, American Ultra, and Victor Frankenstein as A-list films
Chronicle, maybe. How are American Ultra (which only made $14M domestically) and Victor Frankenstein ($5.8M) A-list films? And I don't think either, VF especially, could be argued have some sort of cult following.
Old 06-18-19, 11:33 AM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts

If you never heard of him before, consider yourself lucky.
Old 06-18-19, 12:02 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Chronicle, maybe. How are American Ultra (which only made $14M domestically) and Victor Frankenstein ($5.8M) A-list films? And I don't think either, VF especially, could be argued have some sort of cult following.
I guess I don't want to argue my definition of A-list (box office wouldn't be my first criteria), but mainly something like American Ultra stars a very famous Kristen Stewart who was in the midst of a series of movies that were earning several hundreds of millions of dollars, and with the box office bomb Victor Frankenstein, Daniel Radcliffe (recently the highest paid actor in movies) and James McAvoy have name recognition to say the least.
Old 06-18-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD
I guess I don't want to argue my definition of A-list (box office wouldn't be my first criteria), but mainly something like American Ultra stars a very famous Kristen Stewart who was in the midst of a series of movies that were earning several hundreds of millions of dollars, and with the box office bomb Victor Frankenstein, Daniel Radcliffe (recently the highest paid actor in movies) and James McAvoy have name recognition to say the least.
Off-topic for this thread. Name recognition doesn't mean much especially for actors who are only known for franchises (like Kristen Stewart and Daniel Radcliffe, even James McAvoy), which is why someone like Chris Hemsworth will have a hard time finding success outside of Thor, same for the likes of Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, etc.

Anyway, as for Landis, always came across as quirky and awkward but figured that was a Hollywood thing. Apparently the guy is more than just a creep.
Old 06-18-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 903 Likes on 667 Posts

Off-topic for this thread. Name recognition doesn't mean much especially for actors who are only known for franchises (like Kristen Stewart and Daniel Radcliffe, even James McAvoy), which is why someone like Chris Hemsworth will have a hard time finding success outside of Thor, same for the likes of Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, etc.
LOL, wut?
Old 06-18-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
LOL, wut?
What's so difficult to understand? Outside of franchise films, Hemsworth, Cavill and Gadot will have hard time finding success. Just look at their box office results. Gadot's biggest movies were two Fast and Furious films, BvS, WW and JL and Cavill was MOS, BvS and M:I. I'd argue, while they were great their roles, those movies would've been successful with someone else in those roles. In fact, I'll add Momoa in there as well.

They'll get roles because of it, but I see the box office returns to be on the disappointing side if not outright failure and when studios don't think they'll get a return on investment, roles will dry up.

Didn't realize this would be such a hot take.
Old 06-18-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I think it's kind of a hard comparison to make when you play a character that's a household name and expect that to translate to the actor or actress instantly doing well in any other film because of it. Often the characters are what really sell the films. The people starring will still have moderate success in other things more than likely, but not every film is going to crush the box office because it stars a Hemsworth or Gadot.
Old 06-18-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 903 Likes on 667 Posts

It's not a hot take; it's just incorrect.
Old 06-18-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
It's not a hot take; it's just incorrect.
But it’s really not, though. Here’s Hemsworth’s highest grossing films.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people...er=DESC&p=.htm

Outside of Marvel, there was Star Trek, a small part when he was still an unknown, followed by Snow White & The Huntsman and Ghostbusters.

Beyond that there’s nothing over $100 million. People will pay to see Hemsworth as Thor and not much else. This was just demonstrated fairly well just last weekend.

But since he doesn’t seem to be harassing women, this is a silly place to keep discussing this.
Old 06-18-19, 04:27 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

What's so difficult to understand? Outside of franchise films, Hemsworth, Cavill and Gadot will have hard time finding success. Just look at their box office results. Gadot's biggest movies were two Fast and Furious films, BvS, WW and JL and Cavill was MOS, BvS and M:I. I'd argue, while they were great their roles, those movies would've been successful with someone else in those roles. In fact, I'll add Momoa in there as well.

They'll get roles because of it, but I see the box office returns to be on the disappointing side if not outright failure and when studios don't think they'll get a return on investment, roles will dry up.

It’s called the Mark Hamill Effect.
Old 06-18-19, 08:25 PM

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-18-19, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I only know Max Landis' name because he was on Movie Fights a few times. Always seemed like a weird guy.
Old 06-18-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I get what you mean. I call that a "franchise star" - someone who is vital to a franchise and will be highly paid for playing that role, but not necessarily for other roles. Take Robert Downey Jr. for instance - if he's not playing Iron Man or Sherlock Holmes, he's not a big draw.
Old 06-18-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
I get what you mean. I call that a "franchise star" - someone who is vital to a franchise and will be highly paid for playing that role, but not necessarily for other roles. Take Robert Downey Jr. for instance - if he's not playing Iron Man or Sherlock Holmes, he's not a big draw.
Bingo.

Anyway, sorry to take it off-topic.
Old 06-19-19, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Who is a big draw on name alone in 2019 though? Even guys like Tom Cruise and The Rock stick mostly to franchise stuff these days. Saying Chris Hemsworth can only open a big tentpole movie when its a franchise, doesn't really say a whole lot.
Old 06-19-19, 05:44 AM

If you want to continue that discussion, start a new thread. It is off topic. Any more further will be deleted.

Last edited by dex14; 06-20-19 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Not really Hollywood, but self-help guru Tony Robbins is the focus of a lot of sexual harassment stories.

The woman making the new sworn statement to BuzzFeed News, a former executive assistant, said that she often had to deal with the fallout from Robbins’ inappropriate behavior during her employment. The experience began when Robbins placed his hand on her knee during a job interview in the late 1990s, she said. “I felt uncomfortable and that it was not professional,” she said. Robbins apologized after she shoved his hand away, she said, and she went on to accept the job. The self-help coach never touched her inappropriately again and was “good” to her during her employment, she said, but she eventually quit after receiving a stream of phone calls from other women saying Robbins had groped them.

“Rarely was there a day when our team didn’t get calls from women saying that Robbins had touched them inappropriately,” she said. “After events across the world, the phone calls would pour in.”

Three other women who have worked as assistants for Robbins have previously told BuzzFeed News that he exposed himself to them. A fourth said that Robbins asked how she felt about nudity during an interview for a personal assistant job, which felt “sexually inappropriate, almost predatory.” And two former bodyguards told BuzzFeed News they were sent out to trawl audiences for attractive women on Robbins’ behalf.
There's lots more at the other end of the link. Buzzfeed has done a five-article series on different creepy behaviors by Tony Robbins. Sexual misconduct is the subject of articles number 2 and 5.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ting-followers

Last edited by Nick Danger; 06-20-19 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

"What the hell are you doing, banana hands?"

Not that I find this situation funny, but that scene popped into my head when I read his name.
Old 06-20-19, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by andicus
"What the hell are you doing, banana hands?"

Not that I find this situation funny, but that scene popped into my head when I read his name.
Old 06-20-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I thought of this...

Old 06-21-19, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like that ********** who ruined Allison Mack got his comeuppance:
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/73411...-sex-cult-case
Old 07-05-19, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Before Hollywood existed, this guy was a celebrity in his own way. We've all heard of him when we in school. And now they're going after him for something that happened a very, very, very long time ago.

I think this move by the ALA is ridiculous. No matter what bad things he did in his personal life, it still doesn't negate the good things that he did in the field of library science.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...top-honor.html

ALA 2019: ALA Votes to Strip Melvil Dewey’s Name From Its Top Honor

Jun 24, 2019

Citing a history of racism, anti-Semitism, and sexual harassment, the council of the American Library Association on June 23 voted to strip Melvil Dewey’s name from the association’s top professional honor, the Melvil Dewey Medal. The ALA Council approved the measure after a resolution was successfully advanced at the ALA membership meeting, during the 2019 ALA Annual Conference in Washington DC. The resolution states:

Whereas the American Library Association awards the Melvil Dewey Medal to recognize librarians for achievement for recent creative leadership of high order;
Whereas Melvil Dewey did not permit Jewish people, African Americans, or other minorities admittance to the resort owned by Dewey and his wife;
Whereas he was censured by the New York State Board of Regents for his refusal to admit Jews to his resort, whereupon he resigned as New York State Librarian;
Whereas Dewey made numerous inappropriate physical advances toward women he worked with and wielded professional power over;
Whereas during the 1906 ALA conference there was a movement to censure Dewey after four women came forward to accuse him of sexual impropriety, and he was ostracized from the organization for decades;
Whereas the behavior demonstrated for decades by Dewey does not represent the stated fundamental values of ALA in equity, diversity, and inclusion;
Now therefore be it resolved, that the American Library Association (ALA), on behalf of its members, rename the Melvil Dewey Medal to remove Melvil Dewey's association with the award.
Best known by the public for creating the Dewey Decimal Classification System, Dewey was one of the founders of the American Library Association in 1876, and has long been revered as the “father of the modern library,” despite being ostracized from the ALA in 1906 because of his offensive personal behavior.

In an article last June in American Libraries, Anne Ford questioned why the ALA and the library profession still associates its highest honor with a man whose legacy does not align with the profession’s core values. This week, some 88 years after his death, Dewey’s #TimesUp moment appears to have finally come.

The move comes a year after the ALA Council made headlines at the 2018 ALA Annual Council for voting to rename the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, a prestigious honor that recognizes an author or illustrator whose books have made “a significant and lasting contribution to children's literature." The award is now called the Children’s Literature Legacy Award.

But while both moves reflect the ALA’s desire to better align the organization's honors with its core values, the moves differ in at least one crucial way. The Wilder decision came months after an ALA task force delivered a detailed report on the scholarly debate surrounding Wilder’s work, with ALA officials acknowledging that “Wilder’s legacy is complex.” Dewey’s legacy is not so complex—despite his professional achievements, his personal behavior was recognized to be abhorrent during his lifetime.

The council vote to strip Dewey's name from the ALA award was reportedly approved "overwhelmingly" and with no debate.

At press time, it was unclear what the next steps will be in terms of renaming the Melvil Dewey Medal, and ALA officials had yet to comment.

UPDATE: American Library Association officials told PW on June 25 that the resolution to rename the Dewey Award, which was approved by Council, will "now be referred to the ALA Award Committee for next steps, including discussion with the award’s sponsor. When there is a new name to announce, we will share that news with you at that time."
Old 07-05-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Just realized this post was more suitable for this thread:

Originally Posted by andicus
The civil suit against Kevin Spacey has been dropped. No indication as to why. The obvious answer is a settlement, but the cell phone request (and apparent loss of?) makes me wonder if it has a role.

The criminal case will proceed, but one would think this would affect that case, as well.

https://ca.yahoo.com/style/kevin-spa...130815060.html
​​​​​​​
Old 07-05-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.