Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Give me a break. Violin playing for the bleeding hearts that compare jokes to rape ....
Who compared Jokes to rape? While i wait for that...I'll tune my violin for a solo. .
Old 09-14-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Speak for yourself. Not everyone heaps praise on any celebrity from Johnny-football-hero to the guy who played Ernest. Some of us have healthy relationships with the media we consume, and don't confuse our adoration with a movie or videogame with somehow meaning the creators are Gods.

It's why some people can enjoy Chinatown despite Roman Polanski being a pathetic, disgusting, criminal. I don't love him. I love the movie.

Any "power" Master of None had over this woman, is power she gave to him.
Pffft, who said everyone? Take you own advice and speak for YOURself...
Old 09-14-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I ran into two celebs down in Miami a few weeks ago. Kanye and Kim K. You know what I did? I walked in the other direction and ignored them.

Wanna cookie?
Old 09-14-18, 07:34 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think many need to figure out what constitutes a MeToo. These Women aren't just fighting for women raped and/or job blocked on a "Harvey W level". It's a whole culture of Male Entitlement that puts women in these situations.

Official MeToo:
A, B, and C,

The other Version of MeToo that seems to be popular with some here:
Just A. Anything else is "just boys being boys" and she should just chalk it up to life experience...
Male entitlement? All a woman has to do nowadays is say a man "assaulted" her or "harrassed" her (even if it's a lie), and the guy's life can pretty much be ruined. What happens if a man makes the same claims? "Man up." 'Hs must have wanted it."

Who exactly is entitled?
Old 09-14-18, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So does the metoo movement mean that women are now supposed to ask men out on dates the majority of the time? We don’t want all these damn powerful, entitled men forcing women to say yes to a date.

I mean, where are we going to draw the line here?
Man, just roll with the changes. It's not that hard to NOT force or badger women into fucked up situations just to get your dick sucked. Not sure why so many men are missing this easy point....
Old 09-14-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Male entitlement? All a woman has to do nowadays is say a man "assaulted" her or "harrassed" her (even if it's a lie), and the guy's life can pretty much be ruined. What happens if a man makes the same claims? "Man up." 'Hs must have wanted it."

Who exactly is entitled?

For every "he assaulted me!" lie there are thousands of women who won't get justice for what men have done to them because they aren't celebs in the MeToo spotlight.

I mean really? This shit again? Forcing a women into sexual situations isn't male entitlement? Harassing a woman even after she says no as if she OWES HIM isn't male entitlement? Mind you, MEN can be forced too but since dvdtalk is a sausage fest we'll talk in terms of women as victims.
Old 09-14-18, 07:47 PM
RIP

Huh? This shit again? Forcing a women into sexual situations isn't male entitlement? Harassing a woman even after she says no as if she OWES HIM isn't male entitlement? Mind you, MEN can be forced too but since dvdtalk is a sausage fest we'll talk in terms of women as victims.
Yes, this shit again. But if you prefer to stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la," that's fine too.
Old 09-14-18, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
This ones a bit of a bummer. Big fan of the guy and the series.
I wonder what evidence they have after 40+ years
Yeah, me too, or should I say "I am, as well?" Not to confuse things in the context of this thread.

I was really looking forward to the next season. Season 2 was to debut in the US in October. I've already seen that, so thought maybe it was season 3. Googling, I found out about the charges.

And, yeah, I wonder about the evidence, too. Considering they've actually charged him, I would think it has to be more substantial than one person's word. Or perhaps the claim is enough if the circumstances would've allowed the alleged crime. I.e. they were living in the same house, at the same time.
Old 09-14-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Man, just roll with the changes. It's not that hard to NOT force or badger women into fucked up situations just to get your dick sucked. Not sure why so many men are missing this easy point....
I agree with you for the most part but I don’t think it is quite as easy a point as you’re making it sound. Of course there are the black and white instances of sexual assault and sexual harassment from men like Harvey Weinstein and the obviously wrong situations when men in a true position of power use that power to coerce women into doing things they may not want to. But then there are the not-so-black-and-white instances like Ansari whose position of power was that he was simply more successful than she was.

That’s where I ask the question: where is the line? What constitutes a position of power? Beyond the obvious Kevin Spaceys and Matt Lauers of the world, does the metoo movement take issue with any man who makes the first move? Any man in a relationship who tries to initiate sex? Any man who makes more money than a woman he asks out on a date?

I’m all for stopping the bullshit sexual harassment/assault/abuse that happens in this country but how far does the metoo movement want to go with this?
Old 09-14-18, 09:18 PM
RIP

It's only unwanted advances if the guy is ugly.
Old 09-14-18, 10:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
And my question would be, how exactly is Aziz Ansari a celebrity? But then I haven't heard of half the people caught up in these scandals until I came to this thread. Like that podcast host married to the Hearst heiress. How is a podcast host a "celebrity"? Now Hearst was a celebrity and had genuine power over people. But that's another story from another era. He would have chewed up Harvey Weinstein and Les Moonves for breakfast and spit them out after lunch. He certainly helped derail Orson Welles' Hollywood career.

Now where were we? Oh yeah, Julie Chen's future dating plans...
This is a great post.
Old 09-14-18, 10:12 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

You said “we all” which implies everyone.
Old 09-14-18, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

It's only unwanted advances if the guy is ugly.
Yeah that’s only something guys who get rejected say.
Old 09-15-18, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

You did. And I did. Continue enjoying yourself.
Old 09-15-18, 07:39 AM
RIP

Originally Posted by Draven
Yeah that’s only something guys who get rejected say.
That's really stupid. I work with a lot of women, and this is straight from their mouths.
Old 09-15-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

That's really stupid. I work with a lot of women, and this is straight from their mouths.
Both genders are appallingly superficial and shallow. And *both* genders feed the beast of toxic masculinity in their own ways.
Old 09-15-18, 10:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.liveleak.com/e/c7afcdc8a78d" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-15-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I ask out plenty of women. Some say yes, some say no, some wants to bone, some don't, no one gets mad. Just don't be disgusting. It's really not that hard.
Old 09-15-18, 12:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Only in DVDTalk is somebody who stars in a top sitcom for all seven seasons NOT a celebrity.
Old 09-15-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
And my question would be, how exactly is Aziz Ansari a celebrity? But then I haven't heard of half the people caught up in these scandals until I came to this thread. Like that podcast host married to the Hearst heiress. How is a podcast host a "celebrity"? Now Hearst was a celebrity and had genuine power over people. But that's another story from another era. He would have chewed up Harvey Weinstein and Les Moonves for breakfast and spit them out after lunch. He certainly helped derail Orson Welles' Hollywood career.
And that Rudolph Valentino was a real cad!
Old 09-15-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
I ask out plenty of women. Some say yes, some say no, some wants to bone, some don't, no one gets mad. Just don't be disgusting. It's really not that hard.
Exactly. Do ugly guys think that acting like pigs gets them anywhere with women? Good looking guys on the other hand...
Old 09-15-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
But then there are the not-so-black-and-white instances like Ansari whose position of power was that he was simply more successful than she was.
A real travesty...the poor guy was called onto the carpet because his consenting sex partner thought he was a bad lay.
IMO, that's as mean-spirited as it gets (that doesn't involve a crime).
That’s where I ask the question: where is the line? What constitutes a position of power? Beyond the obvious Kevin Spaceys and Matt Lauers of the world, does the metoo movement take issue with any man who makes the first move? Any man in a relationship who tries to initiate sex? Any man who makes more money than a woman he asks out on a date?

I’m all for stopping the bullshit sexual harassment/assault/abuse that happens in this country but how far does the metoo movement want to go with this?
That is what I have been wondering about too....
Old 09-15-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Only in DVDTalk is somebody who stars in a top sitcom for all seven seasons NOT a celebrity.
Parks and Recreation is a sitcom? I thought that was his job! And that his next job was working at a food stand called Bob's Burgers. You're not gonna tell me that's a sitcom, too, are ya?

(Hey, it's not my fault that an actor's IMDB filmography these days reads like a working stiff's resume. )

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-16-18 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Apply this to Ansari and see how it's more complicated than that. She said yes, when she probably should've said no. She had consensual sex with him and seemed to believe he should've read her mind and stopped before she decided to stop it. I feel like the situation while not what either of them wanted ended maybe the best way possible that night. She didn't want to have sex, she stopped it and he didn't force her or assault her. A question I would raise is what do you do in their situation? As her or him.
Old 09-16-18, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, this shit again. But if you prefer to stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la," that's fine too.
Fingers in my ears? How so? Im engaging you. Im listening. You are wrong....but im listening

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.