Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 06-19-18, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Not to mention that Kazinsky is her current boyfriend. Not quite an impartial opinion.
Old 06-19-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Also not to mention he's been part of scandals himself.
Old 06-19-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

"Powerful man blacklisting his ex girlfriend from the industry"

This is fucking Chris Hardwick dude. Not Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks or James Cameron.
Old 06-19-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey man...she may never get to be on those 12:30am Comedy Central shows now!!! Career destroyed...
Old 06-19-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-19-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is he confirming they are taking legal action?
Old 06-19-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

this is starting to get muddy
Old 06-19-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was muddy from the get with the vague, almost hidden reveal which didn't name anyone.
Old 06-19-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
"Powerful man blacklisting his ex girlfriend from the industry"

This is fucking Chris Hardwick dude. Not Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks or James Cameron.
Hardwick probably has some pull in nerdland.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult for someone of his status to poison someone's reputation in the podcasting/cosplay/website sphere.

I don't know any of these people, but I'm leaning toward this being a toxic relationship where both parties bring out the worst in each other. I've seen enough of this IRL to know it's not exactly uncommon.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-20-18 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-19-18, 03:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Hardwick probably has some pull in nerdland.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult for someone of his status to poison someone's reputation in podcasting/cosplay/website sphere.
Anyone downplaying Hardwick's pull in this particular sphere of entertainment for nerds is delusional.

I don't know any of these people, but I'm leaning toward this being a toxic relationship where both parties bring out the worst in each other. I've seen enough of this IRL to know it's not exactly uncommon.
Probably true. That won't stop the fan bros from making up their minds about this woman while giving Hardwick a pass. The reactions in this thread are exactly what was predicted months ago.
Old 06-19-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why wouldn't we give Hardwick a pass (for now)? She hasn't even named him as the person she wrote about and is now letting her BF talk for her. Are people no longer innocent until proven guilty?
Old 06-19-18, 03:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

That's not what I'm talking about. This piece is more about when a story that's provably false comes up, but:
http://theweek.com/articles/734903/s...es-how-respond

So rare is it for victims to see justice that it's genuinely destabilizing when it happens.

But it will not last. That's not how these things go. Our conversations about sexuality and consent progress along a kind of saltatory conduction that erupts to the surface every few years and then dives back underground, suitably insulated and naturalized.

It's an understudied phenomenon, this collective process, but it's as regular as the tides. With every news story there comes a moment of satiety so absolute that the weight of it trumps any story's actual merits. After everyone reads one too many descriptions of the same incident — whether it's allegations about Russian electoral interference or sexual harassment or rape — a reactionary mood sets in. It's the urge everyone gets as a news cycle crests: "That's all very well and good, but come on." Time for the takedown, the pushback, the cooler heads that will reason the volume of the tide away.

The coming backlash is built in, it's waiting in the wings, and the people who eventually espouse it will be convinced they're seeing through the news rather than participating in the rhythms this particularly dysfunctional media landscape confuses with the truth.
edit: separately, it's quite interesting how quick people are to say things like "Why didn't she just leave??" or "When he broke up with her, why did she beg him to stay?" as if all victims of sexual/physical/verbal abuse act in completely rational ways when they have a chance to move on. None of these accusers will ever be the perfect victim, and thus, there will always be Men Online who call them liars. I'm NOT saying this woman (Chloe?) isn't a liar. But the assumption is that she is, because she did something irrational, is what I'm saying. edit2: one last thing: I'm not defending her, either. She cheated on him (presumably). That's indefensible. But the complexities as to WHY, which very well could include the abuse she described, are relevant. By switching the focus to the cheating, instead of the exact accusations, suggests that Hardwick is hiding ugly shit, too.

Last edited by Dan; 06-19-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 03:55 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
That's not what I'm talking about. This piece is more about when a story that's provably false comes up, but:
http://theweek.com/articles/734903/s...es-how-respond

edit: separately, it's quite interesting how quick people are to say things like "Why didn't she just leave??" or "When he broke up with her, why did she beg him to stay?" as if all victims of sexual/physical/verbal abuse act in completely rational ways when they have a chance to move on. None of these accusers will ever be the perfect victim, and thus, there will always be Men Online who call them liars.

Here's the problem, this girl's story is so full of holes and she constantly contradicts herself, that with every new thing that comes out, it makes it harder and harder to believe her.

When her first post on Medium came out, it appeared the entire Internet said, "I KNEW IT!!! HARDWICK IS AN ASSHOLE." This despite if you read her post, a lot of the things she posted could be manipulated into a context that makes him look like the bad guy.

1. He wouldn't let her drink around him. He's a recovering alcoholic... doesn't seem like an absurd thing to ask for and if she was that in love with him it shouldn't of been that hard of a request to grant.

2. He wouldn't allow pictures of them! Look at her Instagram, that time period is filled with nothing but pictures of A.) Her and Hardwick together or B.) He is some pretty revealing outfits looking like a party girl

I could go on... but you get the point.

There's also YouTube videos she's posted, specifically her in the hospital after her surgery saying that Chris is the most wonderful person and she couldn't ask for a better boyfriend.

Now with all fo this, she's basically letting her current BF (robert) speak for her and he is now saying he can't release the evidence they threatened they would release?

Of course we should take abuse allegations seriously, but we also need to seriously consider this broad is just mentally not all there and this is all a vindictive ploy to serve the bitterness she feels that her ex boyfriend has done nothing but grow in popularity with regards to his career and she's tanking in hers.
Old 06-19-18, 04:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ You've missed the point I was making entirely.
Old 06-19-18, 04:02 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
^ You've missed the point I was making entirely.
And kind of becomes null when ending with “this broad”.
Old 06-19-18, 04:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
And kind of becomes null when ending with “this broad”.
That, along with going after her mental health. A+ bro defense force.
Old 06-19-18, 04:19 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
That, along with going after her mental health. A+ bro defense force.
While I didn't say she was mentally ill, I did say it's something to be considered. This sounds very much like bipolar disorder.

EDIT: And that's not to say I think Hardwick was this saint of a boyfriend. The dude sounds very high maintenance, putting work before home life, very controlling with his life and the different aspects of it... but that doesn't mean he deserves to have everything he's worked for be thrown away over a social media post.
Old 06-19-18, 04:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Why wouldn't we give Hardwick a pass (for now)? She hasn't even named him as the person she wrote about and is now letting her BF talk for her. Are people no longer innocent until proven guilty?
To be fair, public opinion is not the same as a court of law.
Old 06-19-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Has he been arrested? What is this "due process" you speak of?
Chris Hardwick lost his show and is already considered guilty in the court of public opinion based ONLY on unsubstantiated allegations. No defense or other side of the story even considered - once accused, already guilty.
Old 06-19-18, 04:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

When someone online says, "we also need to seriously consider this broad is just mentally not all there," yes, he's practically suggesting she's mentally ill without literally saying it.

Originally Posted by Matto1020
While I didn't say she was mentally ill, I did say it's something to be considered. This sounds very much like bipolar disorder.
Maybe just don't mentally diagnose folks you've never met? Nah, it's easier to say this "broad" is vindictive and bitter at a man's success, because she may be, but we're definitely not suggesting she is, mentally ill. *wink* *nudge*

As I was saying, I don't even care about this specific case. But more and more guys that people like because they're Good Geeks Like Us are going to be exposed as the scum that they are (along with a few that will be wrongfully accused, of course), and one or two more random internet bros will come to their defense because that's just how these kinds of cycles go. As the most relevant part of the article I linked says: "the people who eventually espouse (the backlash) will be convinced they're seeing through the news rather than participating in the rhythms this particularly dysfunctional media landscape confuses with the truth."
Old 06-19-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Chris Hardwick lost his show and is already considered guilty in the court of public opinion based ONLY on unsubstantiated allegations. No defense or other side of the story even considered - once accused, already guilty.
Again, he lives in the public eye, that's what a celebrity is, so anything that damages his brand and his ability to get viewers is going to get him fired, if only for optics. I doubt there's any recourse there either for wrongful termination.
Old 06-19-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Again, he lives in the public eye, that's what a celebrity is, so anything that damages his brand and his ability to get viewers is going to get him fired, if only for optics. I doubt there's any recourse there either for wrongful termination.
You are probably correct that there's no recourse with his employer, but if he did not do the things that were stated, he can sue his accuser for defamation and claim damages from lost employment. The only way he really has a leg to stand on in claiming innocence is if he is willing to back it up in court by pursuing that kind of litigation.
Old 06-19-18, 05:04 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
But who has lost out on anything that hasn't been guilty? The only real story that stands out to me is the Aziz one. Morgan Freeman probably could've been handled differently too.

I agree that the court of public opinion is ridiculous and the fact we live in a society where people's careers are gone in an instant is insane. But if people are choosing to cut ties with someone, I'm going to assume that they have atleast some knowledge of the accusation being factual. AMC says they had a great relationship with Hardwick, so why wouldn't they stand by him? The money I guess is the only answer. If anything, they could've said Chris has agreed to step aside, to make put him in a better light. And he hasn't been fired. They've just said they will not air it until they investigate further.
Old 06-19-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, so far, pretty much everyone's been guilty of all the accusations, and then some.
Old 06-19-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

“Everyone else was guilty so you are too!” Is like adding dump trucks full of dirt to already muddy waters.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.