Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 01:08 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by funkyryno
People in this thread might not be saying they're the same thing, but the average internet user is going to do just that when they read the headline and will now equate Aziz Ansari with date rape from now on. The court of public opinion is now in session.
Louis CK was most definitely lumped into the likes of Weinstein and Spacey.
Old 01-15-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
If you love action movies definitely don’t check out the filmography of the stunt-man/abuser. He’s worked on every great action film of the last 40 years. Kind of a bummer.
Not Mad Max Fury Road, further cementing its status as the genre film of the decade.

Also, Entertainment Lawyer is going full psycho and suggesting David Geffen wiped out an entire town or village with a plague discovered by one of his charitable foundations so his Mormon church could swoop in and snatch up all the newly-orphaned kids for some diddlin’
Old 01-15-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Not to mention the accused was responsible for injuries sustained to a minor during a stunt.
As I read it, the timeline is this:

Dushku told an older actress what happened.
The actress confronted the stunt coordinator.
Later that same day a stunt "went wrong" and Dushku's ribs were broken.

That's about a straightforward story as can be explaining why victims of abuse don't talk.
Old 01-15-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

The guy who messed with Dushku deserves a serious beating before any consequences are dealt out.

If that were my daughter I would end up in jail over the beating I'd give that guy!
Old 01-15-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

That's about a straightforward story as can be explaining why victims of abuse don't talk.
Or it could've been an honest accident.

It's hard to sort out the timeline and stuff in the stories, but if Dushku told someone about the incident (parents, legal guardian, etc) - it was their job to report it to the police if no one on the set would do anything. No excuses.
Old 01-15-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
If you love action movies definitely don’t check out the filmography of the stunt-man/abuser. He’s worked on every great action film of the last 40 years. Kind of a bummer.
He was the stunt coordinator for Kindergarten Cop. That’s a terrifying thought.

I don’t know how much any of those kids were involved in the stunts though. Sick fuck was still hanging around the set, either way.
Old 01-15-18, 03:39 PM

More allegations against Kramer:
http://deadline.com/2018/01/joel-kra...ku-1202243343/
Old 01-15-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Wow, he admits the 16 year old one, but 16 was the age of consent and so he never got prosecuted. But same MO with the swimming pool thing. Ugh.
Old 01-16-18, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Looks like Aziz Ansari is the next up for having a story against him:

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355
I agree with this take on it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/o...arassment.html

Yes, he was a boor. But, Jesus Christ, don't sit there in his apartment naked for an hour, allow him to go down on you, blow him twice, and then say he wasn't reading your non-verbal cues correctly. Put on your clothes and walk out the door. She was frozen because his real-life persona wasn't what she expected? You don't even know the guy!
Old 01-16-18, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Yes, he was a boor. But, Jesus Christ, don't sit there in his apartment naked for an hour, allow him to go down on you, blow him twice, and then say he wasn't reading your non-verbal cues correctly. Put on your clothes and walk out the door.
I hate to say this, but it seems like such a "woman thing" to be pissed off at a guy for not picking up non-verbal cues that she's uncomfortable while she's sucking his dick.
Old 01-16-18, 07:06 AM

Yes, he was a boor. But, Jesus Christ, don't sit there in his apartment naked for an hour, allow him to go down on you, blow him twice, and then say he wasn't reading your non-verbal cues correctly. Put on your clothes and walk out the door. She was frozen because his real-life persona wasn't what she expected? You don't even know the guy!
Howard Stern talked about this article this morning too. I agree.
Old 01-16-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

Godamn

Yeah I agree with this too, that one is a big stretch
Old 01-16-18, 11:00 AM

Selma Blair Reveals James Toback Threatened to "Gouge" Her Eyes Out

<iframe width="688" height="387" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m520XJ1u3qA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-16-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I forget who was talking about the #MeToo movement but he said this was an example of something that would hurt the movement. His point was that there are degrees of assault which we should take very seriously (Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, etc). Then there are instances of men using their power in the workplace that should be taken seriously (Matt Laurer, Charlie Rose, Bill O'Reilly). Then there are guys like Ansari who are just D-Bags when they go out with a girl whose only crime is they are trying to get laid and their methods are just obnoxious. But he should not be lumped in with the Harvey Weinsteins of the world, he is just a bad date.
Old 01-16-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I forget who was talking about the #MeToo movement but he said this was an example of something that would hurt the movement. His point was that there are degrees of assault which we should take very seriously (Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, etc). Then there are instances of men using their power in the workplace that should be taken seriously (Matt Laurer, Charlie Rose, Bill O'Reilly). Then there are guys like Ansari who are just D-Bags when they go out with a girl whose only crime is they are trying to get laid and their methods are just obnoxious. But he should not be lumped in with the Harvey Weinsteins of the world, he is just a bad date.
guys or gals need to have men sign a document before engaging in any activity.
Old 01-16-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Wife and I were watching Madam Secretary last night. In a scene, the Pres told her she looked dashing (or some other similar complement on her looks). I instantly pointed out that he can't do that anymore. My wife looked at me like I was nuts but I don't think she's been keeping up with all of this. In this world, a boss can't tell a subordinate they look good. It is what it is.

Funny because the episode ended up with a story that the Pres wasn't in the right mind due to a tumor. At the end he pointed out the comment and how he shouldn't have said it. Gave my wife a wink at that point.

And mcnabb, that article was actually written by a woman. Makes it more meaningful.
Old 01-16-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
guys or gals need to have men sign a document before engaging in any activity.

"Come on! Surf 'n Turf‽ That's like forty BUCKS, man!"
Old 01-16-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm glad there's some pushback against the Ansari hit piece. The 'editors' of that website should have never published the story, or at least never named Ansari.

Saw this at The Atlantic:

The Humiliation of Aziz Ansari

Allegations against the comedian are proof that women are angry, temporarily powerful—and very, very dangerous.

Read more ...
Old 01-16-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this story really added a layer of ice to the slope. She never said no, agreed to go to his place, did everything willingly but apparently not enjoying yourself means you're being assaulted. According to the story, when she did say no to something he said fine and suggested they both get dressed. We're getting to a point where bad sex=assault. And "cry wolf" scenarios like this is one of the many reasons why women who are assaulted have trouble speaking up.
Old 01-16-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I'm sure this was posted before in this thread, but Chapelle tackled this like over a decade ago:

Old 01-16-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Another take on Aziz Ansari:

<iframe width="416" height="234" src="//fave.api.cnn.io/v1/fav/?video=us/2018/01/16/open-letter-to-aziz-ansari-sexual-assault-accuser-banfield.hln&customer=cnn&edition=domestic&env=prod" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 01-16-18, 11:55 AM

Another take on Aziz Ansari:

<iframe width="416" height="234" src="//fave.api.cnn.io/v1/fav/?video=us/2018/01/16/open-letter-to-aziz-ansari-sexual-assault-accuser-banfield.hln&customer=cnn&edition=domestic&env=prod" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Wow.
Old 01-16-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm sure this was posted before in this thread, but Chapelle tackled this like over a decade ago:

https://vimeo.com/183089808
Yep.
Old 01-16-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Wife and I were watching Madam Secretary last night. In a scene, the Pres told her she looked dashing (or some other similar complement on her looks). I instantly pointed out that he can't do that anymore. My wife looked at me like I was nuts but I don't think she's been keeping up with all of this. In this world, a boss can't tell a subordinate they look good. It is what it is.

I have been in a family business my whole life and I have never once told a female employee she looked 'insert adjective' to compliment her. That stuff was just ALWAYS off limits because you don't know how they will take it so you just avoid it like a zero sum policy. I have been very careful my whole life at work as there is a responsibility being a Superior, even to all your employees.

I have stated this in other threads, but I still believe the workplace stuff is a generational thing as the older generations got away with this crap for a long time, so it was second nature to act like that around a women. Starting with Generation X, we grew up in a PC society where I just don't see it that much among guys from my generation.
Old 01-16-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I have been in a family business my whole life and I have never once told a female employee she looked 'insert adjective' to compliment her. That stuff was just ALWAYS off limits because you don't know how they will take it so you just avoid it like a zero sum policy. I have been very careful my whole life at work as there is a responsibility being a Superior, even to all your employees.

I have stated this in other threads, but I still believe the workplace stuff is a generational thing as the older generations got away with this crap for a long time, so it was second nature to act like that around a women. Starting with Generation X, we grew up in a PC society where I just don't see it that much among guys from my generation.
While I agree completely, I'll add the context that in the show he gave the complement while they were both at a nighttime event, all dressed up. Not in the office.

Got a good laugh at the end when he mentioned it and how he shouldn't have said it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.