Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by windom
Now Tavis Smiley has had his show suspended by PBS. PBS really taking a hit with their talk show hosts.
http://deadline.com/2017/12/tavis-sm...de-1202226635/
Crap. I liked both him and Charlie Rose.
Old 12-13-17, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
All the shit he did was so cliched and lame as fuck. The whole "not sexy enough" shit is RIDICULOUS. NO ONE was going to see "Frida" to jack off.
and to think too that Harvey was hoping that test screening audiences would say Frida was bad & an excuse to dump it direct to video only to backfire. and it wound up w several oscar nods
Old 12-13-17, 09:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Awhile back, I said that the real turning tide would be when a man comes out ahead of any accusers, saying he's part of the problem, etc.

Well, documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock did just that.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...edium=referral
Morgan Spurlock, the documentary filmmaker best known for food industry doc Super Size Me and its sequel, said he believes he is "part of the problem" amid the sexual misconduct accusations surrounding Hollywood and beyond.

In a lengthy Twitter post, Spurlock explained that while he watches "hero after hero, man after man, fall at the realization of their past indiscretions, I don’t sit by and wonder 'who will be next?' I wonder, 'when will they come for me?'"
Interesting. I wonder if anyone else will do the same. I think someone else mentioned an actor who also did that. Can't remember who.
Old 12-13-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn. Now they are just coming forward. Must be a guilty conscious to open yourself up to lawsuits like that, or he was getting ahead of something that was already in motion.
Old 12-13-17, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alec Baldwin threw himself under the bus awhile back too. He wasn't as upfront as Spurlock was though.
Old 12-13-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I’m sure he or his agent got a call for comment on an upcoming article and he just jumped in front of it.
Old 12-14-17, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 610 Likes on 448 Posts

Harvey defends himself against Selma Hayek and does himself few favours:
https://www.thewrap.com/harvey-weins...riction-frida/

Meanwhile, on TV...
ABC Pulls ‘Great American Baking Show’ Off Schedule in Wake of Johnny Iuzzini Sexual Misconduct Allegations
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/john...nt-1202640348/
Old 12-14-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Tavis Smiley is pushing back vehemently.

On the eve of the 15th season and 3,000th episode of my nightly talk show, I was as shocked as anyone else by PBS’ announcement today. Variety knew before I did.

I have the utmost respect for women and celebrate the courage of those who have come forth to tell their truth. To be clear, I have never groped, coerced, or exposed myself inappropriately to any workplace colleague in my entire broadcast career, covering 6 networks over 30 years.

Never. Ever. Never.

PBS launched a so-called investigation of me without ever informing me. I learned of the investigation when former staffers started contacting me to share the uncomfortable experience of receiving a phone call from a stranger asking whether, I had ever done anything to make them uncomfortable, and if they could provide other names of persons to call. After 14 seasons, that’s how I learned of this inquiry, from the streets.

Only after being threatened with a lawsuit, did PBS investigators reluctantly agree to interview me for three hours.

If having a consensual relationship with a colleague years ago is the stuff that leads to this kind of public humiliation and personal destruction, heaven help us. The PBS investigators refused to review any of my personal documentation, refused to provide me the names of any accusers, refused to speak to my current staff, and refused to provide me any semblance of due process to defend myself against allegations from unknown sources. Their mind was made up. Almost immediately following the meeting, this story broke in Variety as an “exclusive.” Indeed, I learned more about these allegations reading the Variety story than the PBS investigator shared with me, the accused, in our 3 hour face to face meeting.

My attorneys were sent a formal letter invoking a contractual provision to not distribute my programming, and that was it.

Put simply, PBS overreacted and conducted a biased and sloppy investigation, which led to a rush to judgment, and trampling on a reputation that I have spent an entire lifetime trying to establish.

This has gone too far. And, I, for one, intend to fight back.

It’s time for a real conversation in America, so men and women know how to engage in the workplace. I look forward to actively participating in that conversation.
Old 12-14-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Why Anakin Skywalker should’ve been removed from the Jedi Order for sexual harassment

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ent/924410001/

Oh for fucks sake...
Old 12-14-17, 11:08 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

A recent blind item states Singer is on the verge of killing himself... hmm...
Old 12-14-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Why Anakin Skywalker should’ve been removed from the Jedi Order for sexual harassment
Hopefully they brought up his white male privilege also.
Old 12-14-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ent/924410001/

Oh for fucks sake...
He could have gone right back and sued the Order. I mean they pretty much forced celibacy on him when they indoctrinated him, and they freely admitted it was probably a mistake to bring him in at such a late stage in life, which was after he already had an unhealthy attraction to the girl in question (who, it might be said, also may have used her position to seduce an underaged boy, so there's fault all around). And the biggest crime, their acting... ugh.

In the end, he lost custody of his kids and was only able to reconcile with one of them on his deathbed.
Old 12-14-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
and to think too that Harvey was hoping that test screening audiences would say Frida was bad & an excuse to dump it direct to video only to backfire. and it wound up w several oscar nods
Right! I get that his difficult demands "post giving up on trying to get her to fuck him" were about putting obstacles in her way. He thought she would never get them completed and he could get the film killed. But she got past all his roadblocks and STILL came out on top.
Old 12-14-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dan
Awhile back, I said that the real turning tide would be when a man comes out ahead of any accusers, saying he's part of the problem, etc.

Interesting. I wonder if anyone else will do the same. I think someone else mentioned an actor who also did that. Can't remember who.

Wasn't that Alec Baldwin?

Look, I don't care how squeaky clean and upstanding Dvdtalk males claim they are. WE ALL have at least one story in our past that may or may not have been about being a Malicious Power Hungry Sex Fiend oppressing/raping/molesting Women, but if viewed in today's climate...still might get us some 'heat'...
Old 12-14-17, 11:50 AM

Wasn't that Alec Baldwin?

Look, I don't care how squeaky clean and upstanding Dvdtalk males claim they are. WE ALL have at least one story in our past that may or may not have been about being a Malicious Power Hungry Sex Fiend oppressing/raping/molesting Women, but if viewed in today's climate...still might get us some 'heat'...
Speak for yourself.
Old 12-14-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

#NotMe
Old 12-14-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
Speak for yourself.
Originally Posted by wishbone
#NotMe
^Expected answers.
Old 12-14-17, 11:55 AM

^Expected answers.
Well how else would someone react to a statement like that?
Old 12-14-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The climate has changed. I am with Giantrobo on this, I bet every single member here has done something that could be characterized as harassment to someone male or female.

Intentional or not.
Old 12-14-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
Well how else would someone react to a statement like that?
I'm not saying the answers were bad. Just expected. As i said, I'm not saying anyone here is a rapist. Just saying in this current climate, almost ANYTHING can be taken as sexual misconduct. I'm sure Spurlock didn't think he was raping that girl but hearing that story today I'm sure lots of folks now consider him a rapist.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-14-17 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-14-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan

I see Spurlock made sure he put in all the probable excuses for his bad behavior in there.
Old 12-14-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I'm not saying the answers were bad. Just expected. As i said, I'm not saying anyone here is a rapist. Just saying in this current climate, almost ANYTHING can be taken at sexual misconduct. I'm sure Spurlock didn't think he was raping that girl but hearing that story today I'm sure lots of folks now consider him a rapist.
This is a forum full of enthusiasts for a dying physical media platform, most of whom have collected hundreds if not thousands of films, most of which are still in the shrink wrap. Plus everyone here is apparently above average you know where. I believe 'em.
Old 12-14-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is a forum full of enthusiasts for a dying physical media platform, most of whom have collected hundreds if not thousands of films, most of which are still in the shrink wrap. Plus everyone here is apparently above average you know where. I believe 'em.
Hey now,

I can't speak for everyone else but I only keep my extra copies with different slipcovers in shrinkwrap.
Old 12-14-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
#IbelieveDVDTalkers
Old 12-14-17, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened to the Coz? Have we just forgotten about his 50+ accusers?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.