Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 01-10-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
Five Rules for Working Males:

1) Don't talk about sex with women at work
2) Don't joke with women about sex at work
3) Minimum 4 ft. clearance with all women at all times
4) Don't touch, hug, etc.
5) If fantasizing is a must, imagine all female coworkers have leprosy or syphilis or both
Or you could just not be a pig and treat women with respect?
Old 01-10-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

5) If fantasizing is a must, imagine all female coworkers have leprosy or syphilis or both
The way you talk about women and men in the workplace, it makes me think you were accused (correctly or incorrectly, I don't know) of something inappropriate. Just don't be a disphit around ANYONE and you'll be fine.
Old 01-10-19, 11:02 PM

Is it necessary to talk and joke about sex at work? Out of all the the topics on the Co-worker Conversation Menu, what's wrong with leaving Sex off the list?

Unless you know them outside of work, why is physical closeness and hugging needed? And If you do know them outside of work, why do you have to hug them AT work?

No one cares what you think. Fantasize away. Just don't verbalize that shit.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 01-10-19 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Self control and proper judgment seem like an uphill battle for some...
Old 01-11-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, there is a whole lot of grey area here. I need some clarification.

You said "Don't talk about sex with women at work." Is it OK to talk about sex with men at work? While at work, can I talk about sex with women in other places (just not sex at work)?

You said "Don't joke with women about sex at work." What if I'm not joking? Does the other locations exception still apply?

I'll skip 3 and 4 for now ... but number 5 ... Are we talking about sexy leprosy, or just plain leprosy?
Old 01-11-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Disney and Pixar Employees Detail Life with John Lasseter: Strip Clubs, Close Hugs, and “Boxers or Briefs?”
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ve-allegations
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
John Lasseter Contract at Skydance Contains Ironclad Legal Protections (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...nt-1203104128/

John Lasseter’s Skydance Hire Sends Hollywood Executives, Animation Insiders Reeling
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...re-1203104219/

Time’s Up, Women in Film Slam Skydance for Hiring John Lasseter: It ‘Endorses and Perpetuates a Broken System’
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/t...ce-1203103941/
I think this will be an interesting case for a few reasons. One is that I find it interesting that Skydance did their "due diligence" in doing an extensive background check on all the allegations leveled at Lasseter. It's interesting that there were no settlements on either Disney or Lasseter's part. So it seems that what has come out is the extent of what he did. Mainly groping, kissing and other inappropriate behavior. While inexcusable and wrong at least for the time being it wasn't to the level of a Les Moonves or Weinstein or Spacey. Meaning that he could be "reformed" and potentially learn from his mistakes and behave better. However, I do find his hiring at Skydance as an executive troubling because it does look like he doesn't have to live with any consequences of his actions. Maybe if he was "demoted" and worked his way up to management that would be better. But I also understand the practical aspects of wanting him in the driver's seat. He is a genius at animation. I do like the last article and the quotes from the Women in Film, WIF, organization. They seem to be very level headed when it comes to this:"People often ask when a man who has abused his power “gets” to “come back.” There is no simple answer. But here are a few first steps: 1) Demonstrate true remorse.

2) Work deeply to reform your behavior.

3) Deliver restitution to those you harmed.

That’s the bare minimum.
Hiring decisions have consequences. And offering a high-profile position to an abuser who has yet to do any of those things is condoning abuse.”

I think that is very reasonable and shows they aren't going to extremes. They simply want women to feel safe working in the film industry.

Either way why couldn't Lasseter have just kept his damn hands and mouth to himself. I really looked up to the guy and loved the movies that were produced under his tenure. He did so much to shape animation at Disney.
Old 01-11-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

You said "Don't talk about sex with women at work." Is it OK to talk about sex with men at work? While at work, can I talk about sex with women in other places (just not sex at work)?

You said "Don't joke with women about sex at work." What if I'm not joking? Does the other locations exception still apply?

I'll skip 3 and 4 for now ... but number 5 ... Are we talking about sexy leprosy, or just plain leprosy?

Sexy Leprosy
Old 01-11-19, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post

Sexy Leprosy
Is there any other kind?
Old 01-11-19, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Or you could just not be a pig and treat women with respect?
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
The way you talk about women and men in the workplace, it makes me think you were accused (correctly or incorrectly, I don't know) of something inappropriate. Just don't be a disphit around ANYONE and you'll be fine.
Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Is it necessary to talk and joke about sex at work? Out of all the the topics on the Co-worker Conversation Menu, what's wrong with leaving Sex off the list?

Unless you know them outside of work, why is physical closeness and hugging needed? And If you do know them outside of work, why do you have to hug them AT work?

No one cares what you think. Fantasize away. Just don't verbalize that shit.
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

My wife wrote the first 4 rules and I added #5.
Old 01-11-19, 08:33 AM
Cool New Member

Should we say harassment is common in such industries or should take a stand against them? I know there could be some fake allegations but we should take every case seriously.
Old 01-11-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sorry but at 60 year old, i find it extremely hard to believe Lesseter can "grow" from his mistakes. He is who he is and will most likely stay the pig he is.
Also he was able and got confident doing all these things because he was the boss. Something he is going back to being. So fuck Skydance for putting that pig back on top
I love his work as much as the next guy But I can certainly live without new Lesseter films, there are amazing creators and animators that can and should rise now. Why couldn't Skydance promote someone from within the company?
This should have been the wake up call for Lesseter to lower himself, reflect on his many achievements and mistakes and just let the new generation do their thing. But no the pig wants to still be the top dog. This tells me he hasn't changed and will never do so
Old 01-11-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
But I can certainly live without new Lesseter films, there are amazing creators and animators that can and should rise now. Why couldn't Skydance promote someone from within the company?
This should have been the wake up call for Lesseter to lower himself, reflect on his many achievements and mistakes and just let the new generation do their thing. But no the pig wants to still be the top dog. This tells me he hasn't changed and will never do so
Exactly. He could've just slipped into an early (and extremely comfortable) retirement, perhaps taking some (very) low-profile consulting work or, as WIF suggested, do something, anything that privately and publicly demonstrates concession, remorse and rehabilitation beyond just some expedient statements of humility, even if it means spending some of the fortune he earned oppressing women and others to make similar workplaces safer from behaviour like his own. As others have noted, Lasseter couldn't compete with Weinstein or Moonves and others, so in theory he could've taken a long road back to a smaller spotlight, but nope, gotta be the Big Cheese or nothing. Skeevy.

And I HUGELY agree that there are plenty of creators and animators out there now whose "genius" rivals Lasseter's, but opportunities for them are harder to come by than they were for him. He was just fortunate to be born when he was and enter a much smaller industry at a time when its fortunes were dire. That doesn't happen so much nowadays in an over-saturated media marketplace, but giving him a "top dog" job like this instantly discourages countless equally talented young men and women from even aiming for such a position.

Meanwhile, in related news . . .

Skydance Animators Grill CEO David Ellison on John Lasseter Hire
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/john-lasseter-pixar-skydance-townhall-1203104776/

Last edited by Brian T; 01-11-19 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-11-19, 11:26 AM

Good news for other animation houses as the top animators will probably jump ship for a place where the executives aren't playing grab ass.
Old 01-11-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Skydance Consulted Time’s Up Before John Lasseter Hire (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...up-1203104966/
Old 01-11-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cuomo made a poor joke regarding the MeToo movement. For as much as I hate the guy, the backlash he is facing is bullshit. Lighten up people. Gov Cuomo you really shouldn't try joking you don't have the charisma to pull it off but the criticism is misdirected.

Old 01-11-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MeridithHartt View Post
Should we say harassment is common in such industries or should take a stand against them? I know there could be some fake allegations but we should take every case seriously.
While I tell bad jokes, I don't disagree with Meridith. One problem is we are too quick to jump on one side (GUILTY, FRY THE PERVERTED PIG FUCKER!) or the other (LYING WHORE LOOKING FOR A PAYDAY!) without allowing time for the allegations to be investigated. We want to make the decisions in the court of public opinion.

On the flip side, it is hard for the public to trust companies to perform investigations when they cover up reports and allegations (founded or unfounded) or just jump to knee-jerk reactions. In those cases, the same fate should be imposed on the board members/executives/managers as the perpetrator.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 01-12-19 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I'm sorry but at 60 year old, i find it extremely hard to believe Lesseter can "grow" from his mistakes. He is who he is and will most likely stay the pig he is.
Also he was able and got confident doing all these things because he was the boss. Something he is going back to being. So fuck Skydance for putting that pig back on top
I love his work as much as the next guy But I can certainly live without new Lesseter films, there are amazing creators and animators that can and should rise now. Why couldn't Skydance promote someone from within the company?
You're probably right about that.
Sexual stuff comes from the primitive part of the brain and it is very hard for the rational part of our gray matter to modify it.
Old 01-16-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some people here are not happy Louis C.K. is doing a show at the San Jose Improv

Ahead of Saturday’s Women’s March in San Jose, activists will stage a protest Wednesday outside the San Jose Improv, where disgraced comedian Louis C.K. is scheduled to perform that night and Thursday.
Organizers of the San Jose Women’s March and the Enough is Enough Voter Project, a national political action committee aimed at targeting politicians who condone violence against women, will demonstrate outside venue starting at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

They have denounced the San Jose Improv for booking the 51-year-old comedian, given his admission in November 2017 that he sexually harassed multiple women by masturbating in front of them. C.K. was responding to allegations in the New York Times made by five women who worked with him.

More recently, C.K. made jokes at a standup performance that mocked teen survivors of the Parkland, Fla., mass shooting, as well as young people who identify as transgender.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01/15/will-louis-c-k-joke-about-parkland-students-in-san-jose-shows-this-week/

Old 01-17-19, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's finding out it's tough all over....
Old 01-17-19, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel like I'm alone on this one, but I never thought C.K was the great comedian everyone made him out to be. I can name a dozen of his peers who are better but were never as successful.
Old 01-17-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I feel like I'm alone on this one, but I never thought C.K was the great comedian everyone made him out to be. I can name a dozen of his peers who are better but were never as successful.
Same.
Old 01-17-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All I know about Louis C.K. is what I've read in press accounts about his #MeToo problems.

I'm completely out of the loop on current comedy. I recently found out I can watch Showtime comedy specials on demand for free on my cable. Most of them feature comedians I've never heard of. The only one I watched was Tiffany Haddish, because I've read about her and was curious. Her special wasn't bad at all. It was pretty amusing, esp. when she talks about hanging out with Jada Pinkett and Will Smith and the class divide between her and them. When Pinkett invites her to join her and her entourage on a private plane for a weekend trip away from the location (New Orleans) to L.A. for a shopping trip, a stunned Haddish responds, "Is this what rich people do?" How often is that kind of divide between A-list black celebs and struggling newcomers like Haddish ever even talked about?

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-17-19 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-17-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found him to be funny in standup, but I thought "Louie" was excellent and I'm disappointed that we won't get any more.

Having said that, I don't condone his actions and his Parkland 'bit' is pretty sad.
Old 01-17-19, 11:24 AM

I saw him live a couple years ago and he was great. But now he's just acting like an entitled prick and lashing out at his former audience.
Old 01-17-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Same. And you can search my post history as evidence. He was so proud, and his fans were so proud, of his “one man show” abilities. “He writes, performs, and even edits his own tv specials.” His editing was TERIBLE. It fucked up his own jokes. I said as much here and all his fans told me he was a genius.

He sucked.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.