Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 01:43 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

Originally Posted by Dan
Why do you think she's "seeking attention" and not just sharing her experiences like everyone else?
Hers to me just kind of seems like a non story. "Nothing happened. I avoided him 5 times".

I know what I'm saying is probably coming off badly and it isn't my intent to diminish.
Old 10-12-17, 01:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

^ I get what you mean. I think, if anything, it just helps to solidify that this is something he was doing with practically every woman he could try. I always liked Forlani, though, and wondered why she didn't do much after Mallrats or The Rock (I could be wrong and maybe she was in a lot of stuff... gotta check IMDB later...)

edit: I guess she was doing more movies than I thought... about 2 a year or so. Good for her.
Old 10-12-17, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
So basically he produced a ton of movies that not very often grossed more than 100 million and maybe never $200 that were mostly crap and not many people have seen. I think we all discussed this in another thread, but "Best Picture" are usually just what a select group of people that have very little in common with the general movie audience think is a great movie. Often what is chosen is a box office failure or at least one that didn't gross very much. If a lot of people don't want to see a movie, it usually isn't very good. Granted some high grossing movies are crap too, but something that is chosen as "best picture" should have had some success at the box office.
First of all, go do some research and then start a thread about your feelings on Oscars and blockbusters. You literally sound proud of yourself for being ignorant and having bad taste.

Why would grossing over $200 million be indicative of quality?

Lastly, you don't like Pulp Fiction?
Old 10-12-17, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Noonan
OK...not to discredit anything but it almost seems like people just want attention now. Why did Del Toro have to speak up? Did Harvey ask him to watch him finish off into a potted plant? I'm guessing no. But here's my comment to get my name in the news again! Look everyone, I also don't like this guy!!
He's literally the most hated man in Hollywood. He fucked almost everyone he ever dealt with. Everybody has the knives out.
Old 10-12-17, 01:47 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
^ I get what you mean. I think, if anything, it just helps to solidify that this is something he was doing with practically every woman he could try. I always liked Forlani, though, and wondered why she didn't do much after Mallrats or The Rock (I could be wrong and maybe she was in a lot of stuff... gotta check IMDB later...)
You're right. It is more of a stand together in unity thing.

I do believe that everyone in Hollywood has a story about him whether they want to admit it or not.
Old 10-12-17, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
He's literally the most hated man in Hollywood. He fucked almost everyone he ever dealt with. Everybody has the knives out.
That's all fine. But why not years ago? I doubt someone like Del Toro was ever worried that Harvey may ruin his career. Why not call him out for what he was back when he was dealing with it?
Old 10-12-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,466 Likes on 932 Posts

So basically he produced a ton of movies that not very often grossed more than 100 million and maybe never $200 that were mostly crap and not many people have seen. I think we all discussed this in another thread, but "Best Picture" are usually just what a select group of people that have very little in common with the general movie audience think is a great movie. Often what is chosen is a box office failure or at least one that didn't gross very much. If a lot of people don't want to see a movie, it usually isn't very good. Granted some high grossing movies are crap too, but something that is chosen as "best picture" should have had some success at the box office.
On the off chance that you aren't just arguing for its own sake . . . Why should the best picture have success at the box office?

When I was working in bookstores, the bestselling books were Harlequin Romances. They weren't on the bestseller lists because the lists had rules to exclude them, but if it hadn't been for those rules they would have dominated the lists. Yet the Pulitzer prize for best novel never went to one of them, but to authors like John Updike. Huh! And you know, although he didn't sell nearly as many copies, Updike was a better writer. Also, Rabbit, Run is still in print all these years later, and those Harlequin Romances are forgotten.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 10-12-17 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 02:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What the fuck does this have to do with the thread at hand? Go start a new thread for this discussion.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-12-17 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That's all fine. But why not years ago? I doubt someone like Del Toro was ever worried that Harvey may ruin his career. Why not call him out for what he was back when he was dealing with it?

He probably never did it before because 1) no one asked him, and 2) it would be unprofessional to bad mouth an executive producer to the press. Other executives would be wary of working with someone like that in the future.
Old 10-12-17, 02:28 PM
Banned

People have been registering complaints about the man for years. Even right here on this site. Mostly bitching about unscrupulous business practices and decisions that undermined artists, but there were also reports of the sex stuff. These reports have been noted right here in this thread. Peter Biskin's Down and Dirty Pictures expose, the joke at the Oscar nominations ceremony, etc.
Old 10-12-17, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
He probably never did it before because 1) no one asked him, and 2) it would be unprofessional to bad mouth an executive producer to the press. Other executives would be wary of working with someone like that in the future.
Do you people have amnesia or something? Del Toro has been vocal for years about the film Mimic and how he feels the Weinsteins fucked up his film. Terry Gilliam was critical about the Weinsteins during the making of The Brothers Grimm.

People have bad mouthed him for years!

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-12-17 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Correct. But I do agree with your saying about some seeking attention. Like this piece from Claire Forlani: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-times-1048143
she mentions "Thandie Newton" and how she had a bad experience with a director who filmed under her skirt and then would share that video with his friends every time he played cards.
Old 10-12-17, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

More than a few folks out there are throwing around the fact that he hasn't had a huge hit or OSCAR worthy film lately so he has been more or less hung out to dry. Make Money/Produce OSCAR worthy films, We'll turn our heads...but if you don't do these things FUCK YOU, you're on your own...

Conspiracy Theory or Ruthless Hollywood Eating one of its own...
Old 10-12-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
On the off chance that you aren't just arguing for its own sake . . . Why should the best picture have success at the box office?

When I was working in bookstores, the bestselling books were Harlequin Romances. They weren't on the bestseller lists because the lists had rules to exclude them, but if it hadn't been for those rules they would have dominated the lists. Yet the Pulitzer prize for best novel never went to one of them, but to authors like John Updike. Huh! And you know, although he didn't sell nearly as many copies, Updike was a better writer. Also, Rabbit, Run is still in print all these years later, and those Harlequin Romances are forgotten.
It depends on how one wants to define "best picture" A best picture to should among other things be a movie that a large amount of people want to see. If very few people went to see a movie that was marketed and advertised correctly, than it probably wasn't very good to beging with.

If a movie is good, it should spread by word of mouth and people will go see it in the theater and will do better at the box office. There are movies that do well at the box office that aren't very good. They are usually front loaded movies that people go and see before they hear how bad it is or it is just a must see movie like a Star Wars sequel.

There are of course exceptions.shawshank didn't do well in the theaters but many would agree that it was a great movie. It likely wasn't market well though.
Old 10-12-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I a dick for saying that I find it deplorable that a lot of these woman are saying things like "I'm ashamed I didn't speak up" when the reality is they didn't speak up because they either got paid not to or were too worried about their own careers to help other actresses not go through the same thing?
Old 10-12-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Am I a dick for saying that I find it deplorable that a lot of these woman are saying things like "I'm ashamed I didn't speak up" when the reality is they didn't speak up because they either got paid not to or were too worried about their own careers to help other actresses not go through the same thing?
Yes.

You clearly don't understand the power this man had over people's careers and the influence he wielded over Big Media. The New York Times squashed a critical report on him several years ago after he put some pressure on them. The New York Fucking Times! What chance would a working actress have going up against him? Read Ronan Farrow's New Yorker article to understand this. He gives specific examples of star actresses whose careers suffered because they said no or because they told someone about his behavior and it got back to him. He also used his influence in the media to spread negative stories about anyone who stood up to him. He was scary and intimidating and he had a high-powered legal team backing him up as well as numerous publicists and journalists. He was a monster. As far as I can determine, the only powerful male in Hollywood to stand up to him was Brad Pitt who warned him to keep his hands off Gwyneth Paltrow, whom Pitt was dating at the time, after Paltrow's uncomfortable encounter with Weinstein.
Old 10-12-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But now that they're stars, they're saying that they're ashamed. They put their careers over the safety of other women/girls. And now that they're rich & famous, they're suddenly ashamed by their actions and wish they said something sooner. I call BS. They put their bank account over making this predator stop.

What they should say is "I'm sorry; I had the opportunity to tell my story many years ago, however I was too concerned I may lose a job and decided to not help the women who came after me". I'd be OK with that...
Old 10-12-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

But now that they're stars, they're saying that they're ashamed. They put their careers over the safety of other women/girls. And now that they're rich & famous, they're suddenly ashamed by their actions and wish they said something sooner. I call BS. They put their bank account over making this predator stop.

What they should say is "I'm sorry; I had the opportunity to tell my story many years ago, however I was too concerned I may lose a job and decided to not help the women who came after me". I'd be OK with that...
It's easy to judge others when you haven't been in their shoes.
Old 10-12-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It's easy to judge others when you haven't been in their shoes.
I get it. My issue is with their comments now; not the fact that they didn't do anything back then. They're acting like it wasn't all about the money. Just tell us the truth.
Old 10-12-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes...but NO. It's complicated...

It's true that many put career over what was right; that being exposing HW for the abuser he was/is at the risk of blowing their careers/potential careers, just like some of the women in the Cosby case.

HW's POWER is what made that oppressive fear possible. So, it's hard to blame them since they were in fact VICTIMS of a powerful man.
Old 10-12-17, 03:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
However, it's hard to blame them since they were in fact VICTIMS of a powerful man.
Based on some of the comments here and elsewhere, some folks have no difficultly blaming them.
Old 10-12-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not throwing any blame to anyone but the asshole himself. Again, I just don't like all these comments which are coming out now from big stars talking about how they wish they did something or feel bad they didn't help...
Old 10-12-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not throwing any blame to anyone but the asshole himself. Again, I just don't like all these comments which are coming out now from big stars talking about how they wish they did something or feel bad they didn't help...
Yeah ultimately, HW himself is responsible for HIS ACTIONS. The side stories of actresses who stayed silent is a whole 'nuther discussion.
Old 10-12-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah ultimately, HW himself is responsible for HIS ACTIONS. The side stories of actresses who stayed silent is a whole 'nuther discussion.
That's what I'm saying.

Don't take my comments as blaming the victims. This guy is a creep and needs to go away. I just find all these out of the wood-works comments from stars to be off. Jane Fonda has been as powerful of HW for many years. Why not speak up back then when the fear of losing a role was long past?
Old 10-12-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think there's just a whole world and sleezy side to Hollywood that we've all kind of seen alluded to in various stories, shows, or movies that's being revealed more lately, whether it be the Bryan Singer stuff or Weinstein. It's easy to think about what you might do in these situations in your regular day to day life, but the combination of wanting fame/stardom with a small number of high powered executives that can make it happen results in this kind of stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.