Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 01-13-18, 03:50 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 855 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Coral
Yea, I don't have a problem with these women coming out with their past abuses, but I hate the cases of actors/actresses who didn't seem to have a problem benefiting/profiting off of the already known abuses of others - but decide to take a stand now.
I get what you're saying. I think it's a bit more complicated than that, though.
Old 01-13-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Eliza Dushku’s post is the kind of statement I can get behind. Call these fuckers out by name!
Old 01-13-18, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Yea, I don't have a problem with these women coming out with their past abuses, but I hate the cases of actors/actresses who didn't seem to have a problem benefiting/profiting off of the already known abuses of others - but decide to take a stand now.
Better now then never
Old 01-13-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Is this sarcasm or are you being sincere? I can't tell because I've never heard anything about Van Damme's personal life to support either opinion.
Sincere. Van Damme has shared his personal life many times through media. Divorces, women etc

I remember Rosie Perez saying nice things about him except his accent.

With 5 divorces who got time to grab some pussy.
Old 01-13-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I remember Rosie Perez saying nice things about him except his accent.
What?! One thing Rosie Perez has no business criticizing is the way some else sounds when they talk.
Old 01-13-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
What?! One thing Rosie Perez has no business criticizing is the way some else sounds when they talk.
So true
Old 01-13-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

To provide a little historical perspective on this issue...

I was researching an actress named Virginia Field, who was active in the 1930s to '60s and came across this tidbit on IMDB:

Although Virginia certainly had the talent to become a top film star, it is believed that her actions and candid opinions about others stars did her in. When David O. Selznick made a pass at her, she clubbed him over the head with a decanter. Disparaging remarks about actress Loretta Young ("phony" and "two-faced") and Betty Hutton ("moody") hurt her reputation.
Decanters ain't light. Selznick, of course, produced GONE WITH THE WIND. I can't imagine that that didn't derail her career in some way. She continued to work, but never got beyond second- and third-tier status.

Would that someone had clobbered Weinstein like that.
Old 01-14-18, 10:13 AM

Received 4,690 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Looks like Aziz Ansari is the next up for having a story against him:

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355
Old 01-14-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Looks like Aziz Ansari is the next up for having a story against him:

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355
So she flirted with him, gave him her info, went on a date, came back to his place, gave him oral and did other stuff but .. it's sexual assault? Sounds like he was aggressive and she wasn't totally into it but this is getting pretty stupid.
Old 01-14-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
So she flirted with him, gave him her info, went on a date, came back to his place, gave him oral and did other stuff but .. it's sexual assault? Sounds like he was aggressive and she wasn't totally into it but this is getting pretty stupid.
She unambiguously said "no" and he kept at it. Even before that, repeatedly pushing someone away, moving away from them and/or moving their hand away is more than enough non-verbal queues for him to know to stop.
It's still a form of assault.

And where there's smoke, there's usually fire...

Old 01-14-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 614 Posts

I guess he got carried away because he was tired of being a Master of One
Old 01-14-18, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True Lies is a pretty big production. How did Cameron, Arnold, and Curtis not know this was going on? I've never been on a set so I have no idea.
Old 01-14-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
She unambiguously said "no" and he kept at it.
I must've missed that part. Just strange that she didn't just use her legs and walk right the fuck out of there if she was so uncomfortable. Instead she sucked his dick.

"Ansari instructed her to turn around. “He sat back and pointed to his penis and motioned for me to go down on him. And I did. I think I just felt really pressured.""

So basically regret = sexual assault now.

Now having said that, he comes across like an idiot and it wouldn't surprise me if there were indeed more/worse cases so .. fuck that guy.
Old 01-14-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Hype
True Lies is a pretty big production. How did Cameron, Arnold, and Curtis not know this was going on? I've never been on a set so I have no idea.
I work for a TV show with a vastly smaller crew than a huge Hollywood film and I have no idea what the production staff do when we aren't actually doing the show as I'm off doing other tasks and so are they.

So the answer is - easily.
Old 01-14-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
Now having said that, he comes across like an idiot and it wouldn't surprise me if there were indeed more/worse cases so .. fuck that guy.
I've been saying that the whole time.

Maybe we should just make sure to not lump in Aziz's encounter with Weinstein or the guy diddling Eliza Dushku (possibly the most heartbreaking story yet, due to her age). They're not the same thing.
Old 01-14-18, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't think any one here, or elsewhere, is "lumping" these vastly different forms of assault together and saying they're the same thing.

Though they all need to be held accountable.
Old 01-14-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew

If you wanna put your tinfoil hat on and speculate why someone might want to discredit and disparage Spielberg you might poke around and read the epic-in-length blind item about the ugly parting of ways between Spielberg and Tom Cruise.
Just noticed there is another blind item posted that seems to be about Spielberg actively molesting one of his young stars.
It's posted by Enty (Entertainment Lawyer) himself.

Interesting to note that another blind item the same day has to do with Cruise- though Cruise is not the maligned subject- he's cast as the potentially offended bystander (presumably because of his otherwise noble virtue?).
Old 01-15-18, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I work for a TV show with a vastly smaller crew than a huge Hollywood film and I have no idea what the production staff do when we aren't actually doing the show as I'm off doing other tasks and so are they.

So the answer is - easily.
The only thing that makes me think that so many people looked the other way is Dusku said the guy called her 'Jailbait' during the movie production. If I saw someone at work call a 12 year old girl that, my radar would go up on what that guy was up to.

I honestly think all of these people knew about this guy, Weinstein, Louis CK, etc, but everyone looked the other way because they didn't want to rock the boat and lose their career. That's understandable and yet sad, because it shows that power anything in the workplace.

That's what some people are just not understanding about any of these allegations, it's all about power (the Same with the Sandusky/Paterno, The Catholic Church, Bill Cosby) as people don't want to come out because they are worried the powers will be will crush their career and their ruin their integrity. I say this as a person who runs a family business and I was brought up that you just don't get involved with employees because I am in a position of power. I keep hearing people in the media complain that you can't flirt at work now, etc and again they are missing the point. If you are 2 people working at the same type of job and neither are a superior, then it is OK to possibly ask someone out. But if you are a superior, it is off limits, because there are risks if you go down that road. Don't shit where you eat!

Last edited by mcnabb; 01-15-18 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eliza Dushku’s post is the kind of statement I can get behind. Call these fuckers out by name!
When I saw that story I assumed it was going to be some story of him copping a feel while they were working on scenes. Then I read what was basically him humping her like dog. Maybe it's a different environment, but I don't see us letting our daughter go off with someone like that in the first place.

If I did and heard that happened you'd be visiting me in prison.
Old 01-15-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Yeah, I admire that she called out the guy by name and didn't pull any punches about her experience, and didn't just drop a vague somebody did something bad to me.

More:

Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Legal Guardian Backs Actress’ Sexual Assault Claims

Eliza Dushku’s Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On ‘True Lies’ Set: “Nobody Really Did Anything”

I'm am surprised that this isn't all over the media. This is some really explosive stuff. Eliza Dushku, a well-known actress, claims she was molested while filming a James Cameron/Arnold Schwarzenegger blockbuster when she was twelve years old, the people around her (family, guardian, agent, god knows who else) knew something was going on, and nothing was done.

Unlike Corey Feldman, Dushku has the balls to name her abuser and say what happened, and she has three people who were there backing her up.

Why the hell isn't this all over the news? They're still on Marky Mark and Michelle Williams.
Old 01-15-18, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I admire that she called out the guy by name and didn't pull any punches about her experience, and didn't just drop a vague somebody did something bad to me.

More:

Eliza Dushku’s Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On ‘True Lies’ Set: “Nobody Really Did Anything”

I'm am surprised that this isn't all over the media. This is some really explosive stuff. Eliza Dushku, a well-known actress, claims she was molested while filming a James Cameron/Arnold Schwarzenegger blockbuster when she was twelve years old, the people around her (family, guardian, agent, god knows who else) knew something was going on, and nothing was done.

Unlike Corey Feldman, Dushku has the balls to name her abuser and say what happened, and she has three people who were there backing her up.

Why the hell isn't this all over the news? They're still on Marky Mark and Michelle Williams.
Not to mention the accused was responsible for injuries sustained to a minor during a stunt.
Old 01-15-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Maybe I'm cynical, but the upside (if there is any) to this is that this seemingly didn't happen the rest of her career, or she would have called all of it out. Unless, of course, that guy got on the wrong side of Scientology or something. But I would have assumed casting couch stuff (and to be clear, Dushku's case was not just casting couch stuff) was much more widespread than even what's coming out now.

The shocking thing is that her legal guardian alleges that she reported inappropriate behavior (though not necessarily this incident) and was just shrugged off. I have no idea how she allowed Dushku to go alone with him to his bedroom if she was trying to protect her, though, I mean her primary role on the set was to be her guardian.
Old 01-15-18, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T
First big perp of the new year?

Women accuse Canadian director Paul Haggis of sexual assault, rape
https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ault-rape.html
Originally Posted by dex14
Some think that it is a conspiracy paid by the church of Scientology because he is vocal about leaving.
Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Scientology is the ultimate gamechanger with these allegations. We’ve seen them cover for Masterson so there should be no doubt that they’d be willing to orchestrate false accusations against their many vocal critics.
Originally Posted by Brian T
Should be fascinating to watch . . .
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Agreed.

Scientology Series Co-Hosts Leah Remini, Mike Rinder Defend Paul Haggis Amid Sexual Misconduct Claims
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...claims-1074709
Old 01-15-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't think any one here, or elsewhere, is "lumping" these vastly different forms of assault together and saying they're the same thing.
People in this thread might not be saying they're the same thing, but the average internet user is going to do just that when they read the headline and will now equate Aziz Ansari with date rape from now on. The court of public opinion is now in session.
Old 01-15-18, 01:01 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

More:

If you love action movies definitely don’t check out the filmography of the stunt-man/abuser. He’s worked on every great action film of the last 40 years. Kind of a bummer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.