Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Look, I don't care how squeaky clean and upstanding Dvdtalk males claim they are. WE ALL have at least one story in our past that may or may not have been about being a Malicious Power Hungry Sex Fiend oppressing/raping/molesting Women, but if viewed in today's climate...still might get us some 'heat'...
You rang?
Old 12-14-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
The climate has changed. I am with Giantrobo on this, I bet every single member here has done something that could be characterized as harassment to someone male or female.

Intentional or not.
These people are not getting taken down because they complimented a co-worker who didn't appreciate it.

We're talking about taking your dick out and wagging it at a subordinate or using your specially-installed button to lock a women into your office with you.

Anyone who says "you can't do ANYTHING anymore!" is missing the point. And women have been putting up with this shit for a lot longer than any inconvenience that men now feel because they can't tell Cindy from Accounting that she has a great ass and she should sit on their face for a bit anymore.
Old 12-14-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I mean who hasn't called a beautiful actress "ugly" because they wouldn't sleep with you, then force her to put herself in a lesbian sex scene just to get the film made? Who hasn't put a button that can remotely lock their office door from the inside on their desk? Who hasn't intimidated or drugged and coerced women into having sex?

I'm not saying that people here aren't incapable of it (I have my suspicions), but most here wouldn't even be in a position to do any of that in the first place, and certainly are not high enough to be protected from consequences. And if they are what are they doing posting here?

Now if you said everyone has had thoughts (or internet posts) that would be considered harassment, sure, we have threads full of that here.
Old 12-14-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
These people are not getting taken down because they complimented a co-worker who didn't appreciate it.

We're talking about taking your dick out and wagging it at a subordinate or using your specially-installed button to lock a women into your office with you.

Anyone who says "you can't do ANYTHING anymore!" is missing the point. And women have been putting up with this shit for a lot longer than any inconvenience that men now feel because they can't tell Cindy from Accounting that she has a great ass and she should sit on their face for a bit anymore.
It's easy to use the extreme cases to blow off what I said. But it's deeper than that.
Old 12-14-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Exactly
Old 12-14-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It's easy to use the extreme cases to blow off what I said. But it's deeper than that.
When I was younger, I probably said some things that were not quite kosher, but that's because I was and am so monumentally awkward around women (teen girls at the time). That's not an excuse, nor is it one to say that the times were different.

For example: In my teens, early-to-mid-'90s, I flipped burgers at McD's. We lads in the back could be a lascivious, crude bunch. One day we played a cruel trick on one of the cashiers. The old "Mike Hunt" joke. I was not the instigator, but I was involved, as was the manager if memory serves.
We told her there was a phone call and that she should go out into the restaurant area and ask seated customers, "Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?" The poor girl was very naive and gullible, and proceeded to do as instructed. Finally, mercifully, a customer clued her in to what was going on. She laughed it off, but I always felt bad because she really was a nice girl. These days that shit would just not fly.
Old 12-14-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

That fat ginger who wears crocs, was fired from 'The Chew'
Old 12-14-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As an aside, what's with the annoying trend that has so many shows called "The _____"?
Old 12-14-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
As an aside, what's with the annoying trend that has so many shows called "The _____"?
Talk shows are following the format popularized by The View. The Chew happens to be a cooking/talk show.
Old 12-15-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

That is the thing the more serious vs. the BS stuff. All of it is making headlines. Like I said before a story stated misogynistic comments. WTF is that BS?

If you try to get to second base on a gal and she moves your hand away while her tongue is still trying to tickle your tonsils: did you just commit sexual assault? She clearly didn't want you to touch them.

Here is the problem some of these stories are reaching that type of level and taking away from the serious ones.
Old 12-15-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Talk shows are following the format popularized by The View. The Chew happens to be a cooking/talk show.
Yeah, The View began many years ago, but in the last year or two there has been a proliferation of talk shows affectedly titled The _____. (Chew, Talk, Social, Annoying Assholes Chatting)
Old 12-15-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rotten Apples website tracks Hollywood figures facing sexual misconduct allegations

https://therottenappl.es/
Old 12-15-17, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Yeah, The View began many years ago, but in the last year or two there has been a proliferation of talk shows affectedly titled The _____. (Chew, Talk, Social, Annoying Assholes Chatting)
Don't forget The Real.
Old 12-15-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That is the thing the more serious vs. the BS stuff. All of it is making headlines. Like I said before a story stated misogynistic comments. WTF is that BS?

If you try to get to second base on a gal and she moves your hand away while her tongue is still trying to tickle your tonsils: did you just commit sexual assault? She clearly didn't want you to touch them.

Here is the problem some of these stories are reaching that type of level and taking away from the serious ones.
Maybe I'm just super naive, but if you tried and she moved your hand away and then you persisted, I think that's clearly wrong. If she's underaged, it's wrong. If you hold some kind of position of power over her and she feels threatened, that's probably wrong and violates some HR rules. I don't think any of the cases we've seen so far have been any less than that (at least what was alleged).
Old 12-15-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Peter Jackson just revealed that Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino might have starred in "The Lord of the Rings," but he was warned by Harvey Weinstein that they were both "a nightmare" and to "avoid them at all costs."

In the late '90s, Jackson was pitching "The Lord of the Rings" films to Miramax, the company Weinstein founded with his brother Bob. "I recall Miramax telling us [Judd and Sorvino] were a nightmare to work with and we should avoid them at all costs. This was probably in 1998," Jackson told New Zealand site Stuff.

"At the time, we had no reason to question what these guys were telling us, but in hindsight, I realize that this was very likely the Miramax smear campaign in full swing," Jackson said. "I now suspect we were fed false information about both of these talented women, and as a direct result their names were removed from our casting list."

Jackson said that the Weinsteins were the real nightmares. "My experience, when Miramax controlled the 'Lord of the Rings' (before New Line took over production), was of Weinstein and his brother behaving like second-rate Mafia bullies. They weren't the type of guys I wanted to work with, so I haven't," he said.

Judd responded to the story with a tweet saying, "I remember this well."
Old 12-16-17, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Who would Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino have played in LORD OF THE RINGS?
Old 12-16-17, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Starting to see more and more references implying Spielberg has some seriously troubling associations and questionable methods.

After learning what a monster David Geffen is supposed to be, and has been for decades, it really made me wonder how someone ostensibly "good" like SS could get in business with him like he did with Dreamworks.
It would unfortunately make a lot more sense if what I'm reading turns out to be true.
Old 12-16-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Considering when the first movie was made, it would make sense for both of them to be considered for Arwen, Galadriel, or Eowen. Who knows if they would have actually been cast though - they never even got a casting call because of Weinstein.
Old 12-16-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I seem to remember it being widely rumored that Sorvino was hard to work with, so that defamation probably affected her career even beyond whoever Weinstein directly influenced.

The other side of this is that unfortunately and unfairly it makes one wonder about the actresses who did get the parts...
Old 12-16-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Starting to see more and more references implying Spielberg has some seriously troubling associations and questionable methods.

After learning what a monster David Geffen is supposed to be, and has been for decades, it really made me wonder how someone ostensibly "good" like SS could get in business with him like he did with Dreamworks.
It would unfortunately make a lot more sense if what I'm reading turns out to be true.
Full disclosure: I’m a huge Spielberg fan. I won’t even try to downplay that. I’m also the guy who introduced this blind item repository into this thread. Ok, so here goes:

The 3 Spielberg recent blinds from CDAN are out-of-step with how Spielberg has been portrayed by blind items in the past and, while “corroborated” by accurate timelines and filmographies, seemingly correctly “solved” for the most part on the agcwebpages website.

The first one is the horrible Heather O’Rourke one. This one is years after her association with Spielberg ended, and it does have some vague references to a producer that abused her in the past. Taken on its own I felt a bigger deal would have been made out of the abuse if it was by Spielberg’s hand but the subsequent blinds seem pretty squarely aimed at him.

The second one is the trip to a ranch, possibly Neverland, where a busload of kids were taken to meet with actors and acting coaches. Now this is the one of the 3 that doesn’t seem to be correctly guessed, one bit of the story is that all the kids got DVD players to take home which threw everyone off timeline-wise but if you swap DVD for laserdisc this blind is clearly about the production of Hook right down to the female child lead retroactively realizing that being given molestation as an acting motivation doesn’t fit with the story of the movie. The movie includes a detached and uninterested father.

Now this blind is full of suggestion and innuendo. The most damning thing in it is that one of the actors was sweating which is given as proof that he was molesting or masturbating. Probably the second most damning thing involves the male child lead (presumably Charlie Korsmo) going off to do one activity while the female lead did another. It’s a huge paragraph of text where nothing really happens but every single bit of detail is twisted around to make it look as bad as it could possibly look. Even when this Hook actress is said to have been given a father-molestation backstory they don’t actually say that she was molested.

Now in the last couple of days this Judith Barsi one has come up, and it has seemingly been “correctly” guessed, but it doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. First thing I’ll say is that it has a nasty little bit of victim-shaming at the end where it frames the murder of Barsi and her mother as a response to them allowing the molestation to occur and subsequently shaming the murderer father. So fuck CDAN right there, that’s some vile and disgusting shit.

Secondly, the whole Barsi/Spielberg molestation history laid out is based on her appearance in projects that seem Spielberg-related but aren’t. They make the case that her appearance in an 80s Twilight Zone episode came from an unofficial consultation from Spielberg due to his involvement in the Twilight Zone movie, and that he similarly influenced her casting in Jaws: The Revenge. Obviously anyone on this forum could tell you Spielberg was entirely uninvolved with the Jaws sequels and has never endorsed them or given them his blessing in even the slightest way. To round these projects out with The Land Before Time, the one Barsi acting gig that did have Spielberg’s involvement and you have a voiceover session in a recording studio.

So basically you have TV producers turning to Spielberg as a consultant (when he had his own competing supernatural anthology show!) due to his experience on a disastrous movie where people died and he got sued and his particular segment was seen as out-of-step with the rest of the segments. You have Spielberg pulling the strings of a horrible Jaws sequel he didn’t even work on and you have voiceover work which is almost certainly the last setting where an unannounced Spielberg appearance would make any sense. All for ease of access to Judith Barsi I guess?

I brought this up earlier and I’ll say it again: you could spend 5 minutes on IMDB and come up with a pretty convincing story if you wanted to.

If you wanna put your tinfoil hat on and speculate why someone might want to discredit and disparage Spielberg you might poke around and read the epic-in-length blind item about the ugly parting of ways between Spielberg and Tom Cruise.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 12-16-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-16-17, 11:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Considering when the first movie was made, it would make sense for both of them to be considered for Arwen, Galadriel, or Eowen. Who knows if they would have actually been cast though - they never even got a casting call because of Weinstein.
Hey kefrank, just sent you a PM.
Old 12-16-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Yea, keep in mind the films were shot at once, and then they did reshoots as needed. That means they casted all three movies before any filming.
Old 12-16-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Galadriel, Arwen, or Eowyn, etc.
Old 12-16-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

If you wanna put your tinfoil hat on and speculate why someone might want to discredit and disparage Spielberg you might poke around and read the epic-in-length blind item about the ugly parting of ways between Spielberg and Tom Cruise.
I'm not going to sift through tons of BS -- post the link.
Old 12-16-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm not going to sift through tons of BS -- post the link.
http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/bli...ent-wrong.html

Edit: just click this link:

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=24589

If you scroll down a bit there’s a version with the names plugged in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.