Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 12-12-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 614 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ive-ex-players

Well, to probably no one's surprise, it's now hit the sports world.

Several employees from NFL Network suspended for sexual harassment. Some former employees named in lawsuit as well.
It started at least 2 weeks ago:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13217336-post1529.html
Old 12-12-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
On whom?

Oh great, now I have harassed Guy Fieri. Or did I harass Dex? I can’t keep up anymore ... I may have harassed Natalie Portman since she has a few of the same letters in her name. Or maybe the two “o”s I my post look like balls, in which case I was probably harassed by Kevin Spacey. I’m so confused ...
Ugh...no kidding.

I read an article the other day that the accuser was stating the person had said misogynistic comments. WTF

Serious question. If my buddy says he want to fuck some gal and she overhears it...is that harassment? EVEN if it was not intended for her to hear.

He would have been in a lot of trouble in the 80's.
Old 12-12-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Ugh...no kidding.

I read an article the other day that the accuser was stating the person had said misogynistic comments. WTF

Serious question. If my buddy says he want to fuck some gal and she overhears it...is that harassment? EVEN if it was not intended for her to hear.

Seems to be getting to that point.
Old 12-12-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Ugh...no kidding.

In the workplace? I think it is. If you're saying it on the street and she happens to be nearby, it's creepy but probably not.
Old 12-12-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Ugh...no kidding.

Yeah, I think it it potentially becomes a "hostile workplace" thing right? Would a reasonable person feel uncomfortable being around a guy who said that?
Old 12-12-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Eszterhas has some unsavoury skeletons in his closet.
Old 12-12-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Or Joe Estevez.
Old 12-13-17, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 437 Likes on 317 Posts

Matt Lauer may have fathered two more children from cheating on his current wive.
http://hollywoodlife.com/2017/12/07/...ids-mistresses
Old 12-13-17, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Matt Lauer may have fathered two more children from cheating on his current wive.
Old 12-13-17, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Old 12-13-17, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

The first person I actually like to get caught up in these scandals is Hong Kong film expert Bey Logan, who apparently worked for Weinstein for much of the 21st century, a fact I was unaware of. Weinstein apparently served as the wrong kind of role model for him. Logan wrote the seminal Hong Kong Action Cinema and has done audio commentaries for tons of HK classics.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...report-1066921
Old 12-13-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 651 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The first person I actually like to get caught up in these scandals is Hong Kong film expert Bey Logan, who apparently worked for Weinstein for much of the 21st century, a fact I was unaware of. Weinstein apparently served as the wrong kind of role model for him. Logan wrote the seminal Hong Kong Action Cinema and has done audio commentaries for tons of HK classics.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...report-1066921
Knew this would happen eventually, and figured Logan's "muse" Sable Yu might be attached in some way. There have been rumblings and rumors about the noxious underside of Bey Logan from a small number of Hong Kong movie fans (myself included, even on these forums back when people actually discussed Hong Kong cinema) and HK industry professionals for a looooong time (barely disguised in Facebook discussions, mainly), and suspicions dating back even further. Nothing against his fans -- they didn't know better or didn't look beyond his (admittedly influential) book and his (far less useful than you'd think) commentaries, but I used to get so sick of people here and elsewhere defending him to the gills on the basis of those two things alone, especially when so many other real experts on Hong Kong cinema and society never got the chance to participate in disc commentaries and supplements because hey Bey Logan! By being so good at one thing above all others -- positioning Himself® as the preeminent "Hong Kong Cinema Expert" when he was, at best, a "Kung Fu Movie Expert, Maybe" -- he did more harm than good to the perception of Hong Kong movies in the west as anything other than "chopsocky" and the Hong Kong industry itself as the makers of nothing more than action pictures, and that goes beyond the edited prints and inane retitlings that only reinforced old colonialist thinking that this stuff was second-tier product to be messed with at will. Now that his skeevy extra-curriculars are out of the bag, maybe more people will re-examine all the "good work" he did on behalf of the industry.

Oh I could go on . . .

Frankly, I'm so glad Selina Cheng is tackling this and I hope others in the Hong Kong media are working the story as well. Logan is just the tip of the iceberg, and an easy (first?) target as a gwailo with orientalist tendencies, but the industry itself -- undoubtedly reinforced by ingrained cultural thinking -- has long been the subject of salacious scandals that regularly fueled the local gossip rags but never really got the mainstream media attention it should have, until now.

Variety (I think?) recently ran an article -- trying to find it -- about how the Asian industries might never have their own Weinstein-grade scandals made public because of the hierarchical or patriarchal nature of Asian societies or inborn attitudes about women or whatever, and it was so disappointing because this behaviour is NOT limited to the U.S. and North America, and the Hong Kong industry in particular has some serious skeletons in its closet. But it looks like that's all about to change . . . finally.

Last edited by Brian T; 12-13-17 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-13-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In related news, it should surprise absolutely no one that the mentor Bey Logan never noticed doing anything wrong in Hong Kong has now been accused of doing something wrong in Hong Kong. Even less surprise at who the "procurer" was . . .

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...report-1066973

The TV personality, who wished to stay anonymous but agreed to an on-camera but masked interview with HK01, said that she met Weinstein in 2009, when the producer was attempting to break into the fast-growing Chinese film and TV market. The woman says she met Weinstein via Bey Logan, a former Asia vp of The Weinstein Co. and who is also subject of an HK01 report alleging sexual misconduct.

Last edited by Brian T; 12-13-17 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-13-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was common knowledge that the music and film industries in Asia were rife with this, from the kpop and jpop idol groups to the whole scandal with HK actresses and leaked tapes.
Old 12-13-17, 01:21 PM

Received 4,690 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Harvey Weinstein Is My Monster Too by Selma Hayek
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...weinstein.html
Old 12-13-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I thought it was common knowledge that the music and film industries in Asia were rife with this, from the kpop and jpop idol groups to the whole scandal with HK actresses and leaked tapes.
It is to people who follow those industries. Others probably have little to no idea, or think that it's a Hollywood phenomenon. Frankly, it should go without saying for just about any entertainment industry in the world (and politics, and sports, and academia and practically everything else, really), and I'm sure there's much more sleaze to be exposed as women in these countries (especially the ones where entrenched patriarchy has kept them in place for centuries) finally start exercising their voices.

Last edited by Brian T; 12-13-17 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Yeah, this is disgusting. It's sad, because it's really her life's work, but I'm not sure I can watch Frida again without being grossed out.

The range of his persuasion tactics went from sweet-talking me to that one time when, in an attack of fury, he said the terrifying words, “I will kill you, don’t think I can’t.”

When he was finally convinced that I was not going to earn the movie the way he had expected, he told me he had offered my role and my script with my years of research to another actress.

In his eyes, I was not an artist. I wasn’t even a person. I was a thing: not a nobody, but a body.
The only thing he noticed was that I was not sexy in the movie. He made me doubt if I was any good as an actress, but he never succeeded in making me think that the film was not worth making.

He offered me one option to continue. He would let me finish the film if I agreed to do a sex scene with another woman. And he demanded full-frontal nudity.
And the "nononono" part right above that. Ugh.

Wasn't Hayek the one that accused Trump of hitting on her, getting debuffed, and making up rumors about her as well?

Last edited by fujishig; 12-13-17 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
All the shit he did was so cliched and lame as fuck. The whole "not sexy enough" shit is RIDICULOUS. NO ONE was going to see "Frida" to jack off.
Old 12-13-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Selma Hayek not sexy ...

She should have laughed in his fat face.
Old 12-13-17, 03:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It's a sad peek behind the curtain because you have this film about this great female artist and it's being directed by this great female director and great female star, and the d-bag with the money pretends to support women's rights, but he's really the walking embodiment of the worst thing that could happen to a woman.
Old 12-13-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

where is this asshole now anyways
Old 12-13-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Knew this would happen eventually, and figured Logan's "muse" Sable Yu might be attached in some way. There have been rumblings and rumors about the noxious underside of Bey Logan from a small number of Hong Kong movie fans (myself included, even on these forums back when people actually discussed Hong Kong cinema) and HK industry professionals for a looooong time (barely disguised in Facebook discussions, mainly), and suspicions dating back even further. Nothing against his fans -- they didn't know better or didn't look beyond his (admittedly influential) book and his (far less useful than you'd think) commentaries, but I used to get so sick of people here and elsewhere defending him to the gills on the basis of those two things alone, especially when so many other real experts on Hong Kong cinema and society never got the chance to participate in disc commentaries and supplements because hey Bey Logan! By being so good at one thing above all others -- positioning Himself® as the preeminent "Hong Kong Cinema Expert" when he was, at best, a "Kung Fu Movie Expert, Maybe" -- he did more harm than good to the perception of Hong Kong movies in the west as anything other than "chopsocky" and the Hong Kong industry itself as the makers of nothing more than action pictures, and that goes beyond the edited prints and inane retitlings that only reinforced old colonialist thinking that this stuff was second-tier product to be messed with at will. Now that his skeevy extra-curriculars are out of the bag, maybe more people will re-examine all the "good work" he did on behalf of the industry.
So does this mean Ric Meyers gets to do all the HK commentaries now? (There are skeletons in his closet, too, but nobody cares enough to open it.)
Old 12-13-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
So does this mean Ric Meyers gets to do all the HK commentaries now? (There are skeletons in his closet, too, but nobody cares enough to open it.)
Gawd forbid!

I'd just love to see "classic" Hong Kong Cinema shown the scholarly respect granted nearly all other world cinemas. It's a much more important piece of the global cinema puzzle than the likes of Logan and Meyers would have interested parties believe, despite what I'm sure are/were good intentions, here and there. But for me they cast something of a stigma around Hong Kong movies in the west (kung fu! action! kung fu!) that I'd love to see cast off in favour of something more, I don't know, rigorous and analytical? Hell, just hearing different voices with new readings of the material would be refreshing.

This could finally be an opportunity for the right distributor to start "reframing" these movies on disc with supplements and commentaries that do something more than just treat them as "cool" chopsocky fare and the industry that made them as capable of little more than martial arts action movies. Give them the kind of due automatically afforded to Japanese monster and samurai movies, for example. I see in the U.K., 88 Films has a seemingly successful line of Shaw movies on Blu-ray, but who have they generally turned to for supplemental input? You guessed it! They even added "acclaimed" to his job title!

Also, I'm not saying I haven't heard interesting nuggets on commentaries by both of these, umm, gents, but compared to what I've read about the films and the industry and culture that spawned them in the countless books on the subject lining my shelves, they just come up wanting, despite their rather rabid fanbases over here (well, Logan's anyway). At the same time, I'm not saying all of the authors/scholars on my shelves would be ideally suited to feature-length commentary tracks on action movies, but it's high time they were at least given consideration now that the gorilla's out of the room.

Last edited by Brian T; 12-13-17 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Not really that surprised about Logan. He does seem to hang with a large circle of female HK and China film stars and maybe a few didn't like him the way he was hoping.

He did work for Weinstein for a brief period of time when Dragon Dynasty was actually a business.
Old 12-13-17, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

Now Tavis Smiley has had his show suspended by PBS. PBS really taking a hit with their talk show hosts.
http://deadline.com/2017/12/tavis-sm...de-1202226635/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.