Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 04-19-23, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,729 Likes on 2,677 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Wow. Majors problems aren’t going away.

Old 04-19-23, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Looks like we're going to get a new Kang variant from the multiverse!
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (04-19-23)
Old 04-19-23, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Iím guessing Majorsí management knew/knows more DV allegations were coming down the pipeline.
IBJoel (04-20-23)
Old 04-21-23, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
https://ew.com/tv/f-murray-abraham-r...t-allegations/

F. Murray Abraham was reportedly fired from Mythic Quest due to sexual misconduct allegations
Abraham issued an apology/statement:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movi...ns-1234720602/
In a statement, Abraham said, ďThis is a sincere and deeply felt apology. Though never my intention to offend anyone, I told jokes, nothing more, that upset some of my colleagues, and as a result lost a great job with wonderful people. I have grown in my understanding from this experience, and I hope they will forgive me.Ē
Old 04-21-23, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts

If he was fired over jokes, there's no need to cancel him, but it sounds pretty stupid if you get warned and don't stop your behavior.
Old 04-21-23, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,121 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
If he was fired over jokes, there's no need to cancel him, but it sounds pretty stupid if you get warned and don't stop your behavior.
He's in his 80s and has been on sets for 50 years. I'm sure he was not doing/saying anything he has not been doing/saying for decades. What do you suppose the set of Scarface was like in terms of the profanity being thrown around? Snowflake adults need to get over themselves and let adults act like adults. We've established the precedent that you can be a pussy-grabber and get elected president. Let me know when some aging actor crosses that line before you talk to me about offensive behavior.
Old 04-21-23, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Looks like we're going to get a new Kang variant from the multiverse!
Yep, luckily it's something that could work with this character.
Old 04-21-23, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
He's in his 80s and has been on sets for 50 years. I'm sure he was not doing/saying anything he has not been doing/saying for decades. What do you suppose the set of Scarface was like in terms of the profanity being thrown around? Snowflake adults need to get over themselves and let adults act like adults. We've established the precedent that you can be a pussy-grabber and get elected president. Let me know when some aging actor crosses that line before you talk to me about offensive behavior.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think someone should get fired for making a joke, even if it's in poor taste. I would never find employment again otherwise, but if my employer tells me to cut it out, I'd cut it out, at least if I want to keep the job.
IBJoel (04-24-23)
Old 04-21-23, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Runaway
Don't get me wrong, I don't think someone should get fired for making a joke, even if it's in poor taste. I would never find employment again otherwise, but if my employer tells me to cut it out, I'd cut it out, at least if I want to keep the job.
I understand. And I would have to "cut it out" too. But I'm not a revered artist with an Oscar and a 50+ year career behind me of stage and screen work. These people are different animals. There "workplaces" are not like our workplaces.They are not just there to follow orders and do a job. They are there to be creative and express themselves. They exist in a system where they are stars and are put above everyone else. I don't know who the people are who complain about being on a set with F Murray Abraham and being offended by his vulgar jokes, but they need to find a different business to be in. Go work in an insurance office. It'll be plenty boring, but no one is going to "offend" you with off-color jokes.
Old 04-21-23, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Iíll need to hear the joke Abraham told Iím order to determine how outraged I should be.

A dumb blonde joke? Eh.

The nastiest, most vulgar version of The Aristocrats? Maybe.
Old 04-21-23, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 204 Posts

F Murray Abraham canít be creative unless he tells offensive jokes off screen and if you donít appreciate that you should choose a different profession sure is a take.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nesbit:
Rocketsfan (04-21-23), whotony (04-21-23)
Old 04-21-23, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are familiar with Curb Your Enthusiasm, you are likely familiar with the completely profane and offensive joke that Marty Funkhouser tells in the Seinfeld Reunion episode.

The story is that Marty Funkhouser was not supposed to appear in the episode, and Bob Einstein was just hanging around the set, where he told that joke to the assembled crew. Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David thought the joke, and Einstein's delivery of it, was so hilarious that they added Marty telling the joke on the show.

It has been my experience in life that the most creative individuals are not much for censoring themselves. Creative people like to express themselves freely; that's how they create. TV writers' rooms are in/famous for being hotbeds of offensive and profane exchanges because ideas are generated by people that feel free to say whatever pops into their minds.

Are people posting in a Movie Talk forum really unaware that "theater folk" are mostly bawdy and provocative by nature?
Old 04-22-23, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 204 Posts

As if there arenít people in every other profession who would enjoy work a lot more if they were able to tell jokes they know are offensive. Abraham doesnít seem to be protesting the action. There has never been an instance (that iím aware of) where someone has been held accountable for a joke said in a writers room.
Old 04-22-23, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

If you are familiar with Curb Your Enthusiasm, you are likely familiar with the completely profane and offensive joke that Marty Funkhouser tells in the Seinfeld Reunion episode.

The story is that Marty Funkhouser was not supposed to appear in the episode, and Bob Einstein was just hanging around the set, where he told that joke to the assembled crew. Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David thought the joke, and Einstein's delivery of it, was so hilarious that they added Marty telling the joke on the show.

It has been my experience in life that the most creative individuals are not much for censoring themselves. Creative people like to express themselves freely; that's how they create. TV writers' rooms are in/famous for being hotbeds of offensive and profane exchanges because ideas are generated by people that feel free to say whatever pops into their minds.

Are people posting in a Movie Talk forum really unaware that "theater folk" are mostly bawdy and provocative by nature?
That's the sense I've always gotten from most of the arts/entertainment industry. Creative people, whether they're actors, musicians, writers, or visual artists, do tend to be bawdy, provocative, freewheeling, and without a filter. The kind of people to tell dirty jokes and drop their pants. And if you're going to work in that field, you're either one of them, or you just have to accept it. And I'm not talking about things like the casting couch, or sexual assault/battery, but I think that if you're going to work around people like musicians and actors, you'll probably need a thick skin for things like dirty jokes, crude language, and someone occasionally mooning someone.

I'm reminded of the kerfluffle around John Barrowman whippin' it out on the set of Doctor Who and Torchwood. He's an outgoing, jockish gay man. He's probably going to do a helicopter dick every now and then.

Or I'll watch something like The Boys, and don't have idea how they could possibly run a politically correct and "safe-spacey" writers' room. That show has a character who attacks people with a giant prehensile penis, ferchrissakes.
Old 04-22-23, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nesbit
As if there arenít people in every other profession who would enjoy work a lot more if they were able to tell jokes they know are offensive. Abraham doesnít seem to be protesting the action. There has never been an instance (that iím aware of) where someone has been held accountable for a joke said in a writers room.
That's because the Friends' writers room lawsuit set the precedent in California that language that would be considered offensive in other workplaces is protected as free speech in creative environments, as long as the language is not directed as a comment on any individual in that workplace.
Old 04-23-23, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell let go for probably having an undisclosed affair with a subordinate:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/23/media...sal/index.html
“Today is my last day as CEO of NBCUniversal. I had an inappropriate relationship with a woman in the company, which I deeply regret,” Shell said in a statement
Old 04-24-23, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk God

He was in a sexual relationship with a CNBC reporter for many years and he is married. Apparently they had already broken up. This article has the details.

Old 04-24-23, 08:35 AM
Political Exile

Received 485 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
He was in a sexual relationship with a CNBC reporter for many years and he is married. Apparently they had already broken up. This article has the details.
She was also featured in an interesting article about her interview with Putin.

Old 04-24-23, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Would bang.
Old 04-24-23, 10:39 AM

Received 139 Likes on 104 Posts

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q
That man desperately needs to go to a black barbershop for help with his hairline.
Old 04-24-23, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for shits and giggles, let's flip the script. She was in a consensual sexual relationship with a married man for many years, while her career flourished.
Old 04-24-23, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/je...73e828aa12daf1

Well, looks like the reason he was forced to quit was Ms. Gamble turned on him and filed a sexual harassment and sexual discrimination complaint against him.

Old 04-24-23, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Just for shits and giggles, let's flip the script. She was in a consensual sexual relationship with a married man for many years, while her career flourished.
With a married man who was her superior. There are power dynamics there that can turn ugly as the relationship sours. So it makes sense why she filed the lawsuit (presumably) after they broke up and that led to this investigation.

I wonder if others can sue for being held back because of this relationship as well.
Old 04-24-23, 02:10 PM
Political Exile

Received 485 Likes on 320 Posts

His wife and the mother of his three children. It seems like he has a type

Old 04-24-23, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yep, luckily it's something that could work with this character.
Yes and no.
Spoiler:
Quantumania features perhaps hundreds of Kang variants during the post credits sequence. I get that not all Kang variants, such as Iron Thief/Lad/Whatever, look the same but you'd still have to write off all those variants and scrap the teased plotline for season 2 of Loki.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.