Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Damn... I would be down for a costume designer to dress me so I could appear to be " more fuckable"

Where do I sign up?
Old 09-25-22, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Requisite comment that even a burlap sack would work in her case.
Old 09-25-22, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm sorry, forcing yourself on top of someone or grabbing a body part is not the same as what Theron is complaining about. I assume she was over the age of 18, if she was uncomfortable or upset she could have quit. I also don't get the complaints about the so called "casting couch", if you are an adult don't do it.
Old 09-25-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I'm trying to imagine who thinks Charlize Theron isn't fuckable enough...

Maybe in Monster, but still...

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-25-22 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-25-22, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
So, part of what she is saying seems to be that actors should be able to choose their costuming. Isn't having to wear a specific costume just part of acting?
Actors make all kinds of choices about their characters. Why shouldn’t costuming be one of them?

If Michael Bay wants his actresses in tight shorts so he can focus on their asses when introduced, should they be able to ask for something less gratuitous?
Old 09-25-22, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I also don't get the complaints about the so called "casting couch", if you are an adult don't do it.
You're probably used to fucking old fat wrinkly dudes. NBD right?
Old 09-25-22, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Actors are models who act. If the director said fuckable he is a douche. But in most movies everything is about making the actors model. Like go watch an average movie and then go into public and see how unrepresented real people are in film.
Old 09-25-22, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
If the director said fuckable he is a douche.
Those are Theron's words, not the director's.
Old 09-25-22, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

I guess I'm missing something. Doesn't the director of every stage and cinema production get to tell the actors how to dress?

As for letting the actor choose their own costumes, I remember that Angelina Jolie refused to take off a vial of her husbands blood although it was all wrong for her character. Having an amazing screen presence doesn't make a person an expert on the overall look of the picture.
Old 09-25-22, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I guess I'm missing something. Doesn't the director of every stage and cinema production get to tell the actors how to dress?
I guess that depends. If the point is finding the right wardrobe for the character then I don’t see the problem with it. If it’s simply to bring a hot actress into the dressing room for repeated fittings just to make her more “fuckable.” Then it seems inappropriate. Theron also didn’t say it outright but she seemed to hint that the (male) director was nearby for those fittings and got to give the thumbs up or down on each outfit, which, I’m sure was super uncomfortable for her.
Old 09-26-22, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
So nothing about this is a surprise to anyone, right? What I can't not wonder about is why she does not say who it was.
Perhaps she doesn't want to push someone in front of the bus, for something that was unpleasant, but doesn't amount to harassment.
Sometimes complaints like this one, sound a bit hypocritical to me. Sex sells and lots of actors and - yes especially - actresses are sexualized, but her looks where her door opener to Hollywood. It's not like a casting agent was blown away by her debth and seriousness as a model. In 2 Days in the Valley she was supposed to the hot femme fatale, who could manipulate men. It's thanks to her acting skills she showed early on, that her career can't be reduced to looking good, but it was her way in. Reindeer Games is probably the last movie, in which her looks were a essential part for getting the part and that was still early on in her career, more than 20 years ago.

Chris Hemsworth is a movie star because he's good looking and can act, Liam Hemsworth is more famous than Luke Hemsworth because he's better looking, although he can't act for shit, while Luke is a solid actor, but doesn't look like a heartthrob. Looks are an important aspect of a visual medium.
Old 09-26-22, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
Perhaps she doesn't want to push someone in front of the bus, for something that was unpleasant, but doesn't amount to harassment.
Sometimes complaints like this one, sound a bit hypocritical to me.
That's why I think her complaints push more towards meaningless than meaningful, unless she identifies the movie/director. Making her look more fuckable could have been completely appropriate, depending on the role she was playing.
If she is calling out the Hollywood practice of casting actresses with their sex appeal in mind, then she seems like the wrong messenger, since she totally got her start due to her looks.
Old 09-26-22, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

She got her name in the news I guess...
Old 09-26-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Actors make all kinds of choices about their characters. Why shouldn’t costuming be one of them?

If Michael Bay wants his actresses in tight shorts so he can focus on their asses when introduced, should they be able to ask for something less gratuitous?
Yeah, that's not really how movies work. If a director is smart, he'll take input on that stuff, but ultimately it is the directors vision that is going to be put up on the screen, barring any outside interference.
Old 09-26-22, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yeah, that's not really how movies work. If a director is smart, he'll take input on that stuff, but ultimately it is the directors vision that is going to be put up on the screen, barring any outside interference.
I've heard plenty of stories about movie sets where directors are collaborative with their actors. That sounds better than saying that a costume needs to be tighter or more revealing because the actress isn't fuckable enough. But maybe that's just me.
Old 09-26-22, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Is this supposed to be shocking news? Of course directors are going to want their starlets to look fuckable on screen.
Old 09-26-22, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Is this supposed to be shocking news? Of course directors are going to want their starlets to look fuckable on screen.
I'm not shocked at all. But if stories like this lead to fewer comments about how "fuckable" people are on movie sets, I think that's a good thing.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (09-28-22)
Old 09-26-22, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe the point, from (47 year old) Theron's perspective, is that it should not be a matter of course that actresses are expected (or demanded) to elevate their fuckability when they appear on screen.

Or that perceived fuckability should be such a huge factor in casting decisions.

Old 09-26-22, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I believe the point, from (47 year old) Theron's perspective, is that it should not be a matter of course that actresses are expected (or demanded) to elevate their fuckability when they appear on screen.

Or that perceived fuckability should be such a huge factor in casting decisions.
Well I'm sure there are smaller studios who are more concerned about making art than money where she can try out for roles. But when you look at how much money big studios movies need to make to just break even these days, of course they are going to want to do everything they humanly can to get butts in the seats.
Old 09-26-22, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'm sure there are smaller studios who are more concerned about making art than money where she can try out for roles. But when you look at how much money big studios movies need to make to just break even these days, of course they are going to want to do everything they humanly can to get butts in the seats.
I'm not 100% certain, but I am pretty sure that Theron doesn't audition anymore. I expect she is at the "offers only" stage of her career.

But to your larger point, there are definitely movies where an actress's sexiness is a draw for viewership, but there are movies where it would/should not matter at all, but if male directors have the mindset that fuckability always needs to be a factor, then that is systemic sexism within the industry. Which leads me back to my first question: What movie is she talking about?
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
IBJoel (09-26-22), Kurt D (09-27-22)
Old 09-26-22, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I worked in the TV business where the attractiveness of both male and female talent was a factor for their jobs. In my 15+ year career, I never heard one person say whether the person was "fuckable" or not, even if they were thinking it. There are more respectful ways to communicate with people.
John Pannozzi (09-28-22)
Old 09-26-22, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I worked in the TV business where the attractiveness of both male and female talent was a factor for their jobs. In my 15+ year career, I never heard one person say whether the person was "fuckable" or not, even if they were thinking it. There are more respectful ways to communicate with people.
No one is going to openly use that word in a 21st century workplace, but it is the mindset, and I would not be surprised that it is/was used by "the boys" behind closed doors . . . y'know, just locker room talk.
Old 09-27-22, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No one is going to openly use that word in a 21st century workplace, but it is the mindset, and I would not be surprised that it is/was used by "the boys" behind closed doors . . . y'know, just locker room talk.
I think the “locker room” is harder to find these days. I never found myself in a situation where anyone would be comfortable saying something like that out loud because that’s a fantastic way to get fired in any industry except apparently Hollywood.
Old 09-27-22, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I think the “locker room” is harder to find these days. I never found myself in a situation where anyone would be comfortable saying something like that out loud because that’s a fantastic way to get fired in any industry except apparently Hollywood.
I've made the opposite experience where the female colleagues are taking part in locker room talk. I wouldn't talk "locker roomy" around co-workers I don't know well, but in our team it's totally normal to joke around about everything.
Old 09-27-22, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I've made the opposite experience where the female colleagues are taking part in locker room talk. I wouldn't talk "locker roomy" around co-workers I don't know well, but in our team it's totally normal to joke around about everything.
Every HR division in a major company (except apparently in Hollywood) would warn against any kind of locker room talk like this though, because even if people are nodding their heads there's still a power dynamic there where you might feel like you can't speak up about how you don't like how inappropriate the conversation or joking is without getting some kind of consequence.
Draven (09-28-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.