Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 05-26-21, 08:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
One of them died.
I also thought I read that KS's legal team wanted the accusers phone to analyze it and they "lost" it. Being a key piece of evidence, the judge discussed dismissal with the prosecution and everything collapsed afterwards.
Old 06-30-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,174 Likes on 912 Posts

Cosby's case was apparently overturned by the PA Supreme Court:

Seems like a previous prosecutor agreed to a plea deal and no conviction and they used the evidence to convict him anyway. So he's still guilty as hell but not supposed to be in jail, I guess.
Old 06-30-21, 12:02 PM

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,986 Posts

W...t....f....
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 12:18 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 354 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm not surprised. I said at the time that, while I think Cosby is guilty, the prosecution should not have been brought because he gave deposition testimony in a civil case waiving his 5th Amendment rights based on an agreement he had with the then-D.A. that he would not be criminally prosecuted. I never understood how they got around that. Apparently neither does the PA Supreme Court.
Old 06-30-21, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,698 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Seems like a previous prosecutor agreed to a plea deal and no conviction and they used the evidence to convict him anyway. So he's still guilty as hell but not supposed to be in jail, I guess.
I didn’t follow this case very closely but I do recall seeing a video of Cosby essentially spilling his guts about all the shitty things he would do to drug women. I guess that was after he’d made a deal that he wouldn’t be convicted? And they used that as evidence for his trial in order to convict him? I suppose I understand why this was overturned but it sounds like some serious boneheaded decisions made by prosecutors.

I guess my question is, why did the original prosecutor agree to a plea deal that kept Cosby out of prison? It’s not like there was some bigger fish out there somewhere that they were trying to get and could only do so with Cosby flipping. It was literally, “we promise you won’t go to jail if you just tell us the truth now”.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Bandoman (06-30-21), John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 489 Likes on 332 Posts

The American justice system is a strange, strange thing.
John Pannozzi (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

I always try and guess who is in trouble now when this thread is bumped. DID not expect this. WTF indeed.

Old 06-30-21, 12:50 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 354 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I didn’t follow this case very closely but I do recall seeing a video of Cosby essentially spilling his guts about all the shitty things he would do to drug women. I guess that was after he’d made a deal that he wouldn’t be convicted? And they used that as evidence for his trial in order to convict him? I suppose I understand why this was overturned but it sounds like some serious boneheaded decisions made by prosecutors.

I guess my question is, why did the original prosecutor agree to a plea deal that kept Cosby out of prison? It’s not like there was some bigger fish out there somewhere that they were trying to get and could only do so with Cosby flipping. It was literally, “we promise you won’t go to jail if you just tell us the truth now”.
That D.A. who made the deal was Bruce Castor, one of Trump's defense counsel at his second impeachment trial who was mocked for his ineptitude.
GoldenJCJ (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Well that explains it.
Old 06-30-21, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 428 Posts

Does this mean that the world can stop pretending that one of the most successful sitcoms of all time, and some of the best comedy albums ever produced, never existed?
Old 06-30-21, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Does this mean that the world can stop pretending that one of the most successful sitcoms of all time, and some of the best comedy albums ever produced, never existed?
Why? Because he's not in jail? He pretty much confessed to all of it, you'd have to be crazy to think this exonerates him.
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
DaveyJoe (06-30-21), Rocketsfan (07-01-21), Why So Blu? (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why? Because he's not in jail? He pretty much confessed to all of it, you'd have to be crazy to think this exonerates him.
Well, I don't understand what him being in jail or not, or being guilty or not, has to do with whether the Noah talking to God routine is funny or not. I'm just crazy that way . . . funny is funny to me.
Old 06-30-21, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 345 Likes on 293 Posts

He will probably have to live life like OJ and be a pariah in society.
Old 06-30-21, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
He will probably have to live life like OJ and be a pariah in society.
He's 84 years old. Tough to have to live the many, many years ahead of him as a societal pariah.
Old 06-30-21, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

James Franco to Pay $2.2 Million Dollars to Settle Sexual Misconduct Suit I THR News

https://www.avclub.com/james-franco-...l-m-1847206377

Old 07-01-21, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I don't understand what him being in jail or not, or being guilty or not, has to do with whether the Noah talking to God routine is funny or not. I'm just crazy that way . . . funny is funny to me.
That's fine, I just don't see how him being free on a technicality will change anyone's mind. If they were ignoring the Cosby show before what does this do to get them to change their mind about it? If you didn't care if he was guilty before then you also wouldn't care now.
Old 07-01-21, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's fine, I just don't see how him being free on a technicality will change anyone's mind. If they were ignoring the Cosby show before what does this do to get them to change their mind about it? If you didn't care if he was guilty before then you also wouldn't care now.
Were people ignoring The Cosby Show, or was it disappeared?
I honestly don't believe that people did care. I think the woke police made it clear that you had to say you did care.
Did the ratings for Cosby Show reruns go in the tank? Or did people rise up in protest that the show was being rerun? Or did a corporation pull the reruns because they didn't want to be attacked for showing them?
Look at Seinfeld's interview with Colbert in 2017 where they discussed Cosby, and how Jerry changed his tune after somebody got to him during the commercial break.
Old 07-01-21, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Were people ignoring The Cosby Show, or was it disappeared?
I honestly don't believe that people did care. I think the woke police made it clear that you had to say you did care.
Did the ratings for Cosby Show reruns go in the tank? Or did people rise up in protest that the show was being rerun? Or did a corporation pull the reruns because they didn't want to be attacked for showing them?
Look at Seinfeld's interview with Colbert in 2017 where they discussed Cosby, and how Jerry changed his tune after somebody got to him during the commercial break.
I can only speak for myself, as someone who loved Fat Albert, listened to tapes of Cosby's comedy as a kid and loved the Cosby show. And I loved Pudding Pops, I have no idea why they don't make that (and WWE ice cream bars) any more. Nobody told me to care, no "woke police" came to my house and threatened my kids if I didn't disown Cosby. But it's still hard for me to watch a sitcom named after and starring Cosby where he's supposed to be the consummate family man. I'm not saying everyone has to think that way but that's the way I saw it. His whole persona was based on being a good guy.
IBJoel (07-06-21)
Old 07-01-21, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,271 Likes on 2,181 Posts

It's just a little hard to laugh at a guy who is playing a loving father, husband and respected gynecologist on a TV show who in real life admits to drugging and raping multiple women.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
IBJoel (07-06-21), The Questyen (07-02-21)
Old 07-01-21, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can only speak for myself, as someone who loved Fat Albert, listened to tapes of Cosby's comedy as a kid and loved the Cosby show. And I loved Pudding Pops, I have no idea why they don't make that (and WWE ice cream bars) any more. Nobody told me to care, no "woke police" came to my house and threatened my kids if I didn't disown Cosby. But it's still hard for me to watch a sitcom named after and starring Cosby where he's supposed to be the consummate family man. I'm not saying everyone has to think that way but that's the way I saw it. His whole persona was based on being a good guy.
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It's just a little hard to laugh at a guy who is playing a loving father, husband and respected gynecologist on a TV show who in real life admits to drugging and raping multiple women.
Well, like I said, I'm not pretending he didn't do it, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of his comedy work. For some reason, I see fiction as just that. He's an actor playing a character. Who he is as a person doesn't enter the picture for me.
Old 07-01-21, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 757 Likes on 617 Posts

For me it really depends on who the person in question is and what they’re accused of. In Cosby’s case I was never much of a fan anyways.

When I was watching the Raimi Spider-Man movies recently it was a bit weird whenever James Franco came on and not thinking he’s a creeper.

I don’t actively seek out shows or films with accused actors, but if they happen to be in something I’m watching I won’t necessarily turn away either.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
John Pannozzi (07-01-21), Norm de Plume (07-29-21)
Old 07-01-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,396 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It's particularly repulsive when the series is actually titled The Cosby Show, and he presents his alter-ego as this stern but loving father who sets high expectations for his children, while the real Bill Cosby is slipping countless women Quaaludes so he can rape them.

It's like, Cliff is grilling Theo about finding a joint in his gym bag, while the night before the Coz dissolved some ludes in the wineglass of some poor aspiring actress who was trying to get a bit part on the show and sodomized her while she was out.
Old 07-01-21, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It's particularly repulsive when the series is actually titled The Cosby Show, and he presents his alter-ego as this stern but loving father who sets high expectations for his children, while the real Bill Cosby is slipping countless women Quaaludes so he can rape them.

It's like, Cliff is grilling Theo about finding a joint in his gym bag, while the night before the Coz dissolved some ludes in the wineglass of some poor aspiring actress who was trying to get a bit part on the show and sodomized her while she was out.
I'll be honest. Even if this was real life, and Cosby was being a complete hypocrite, it would still be a father setting standards and making demands on his son. Parents who make horrible mistakes and do terrible things, who do not want their children to follow in their footsteps and repeat those mistakes are usually lauded for that approach to parenting.

Seriously, the whole premise of theater, movies, and television is a willing suspension of disbelief. How does anybody watch and enjoy anything, if all they think about is the actors' personal lives?

I hope to god that when I see Black Widow, I don't sit there thinking about how Scar Jo fucks Colin Jost in real life, and isn't really as ass-kicking super-hero.
Old 07-01-21, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

I hope to god that when I see Black Widow, I don't sit there thinking about how Scar Jo fucks Colin Jost in real life, and isn't really as ass-kicking super-hero.
Scar Jo's consensual sex life is not remotely on the same level as Bill Cosby drugging and raping many women.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveyJoe:
IBJoel (07-06-21), John Pannozzi (07-01-21), The Questyen (07-02-21)
Old 07-01-21, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Scar Jo's consensual sex life is not remotely on the same level as Bill Cosby drugging and raping many women.

The point is neither impacts my ability to compartmentalize my knowledge of the actor's personal life and engage with the text and performances as fiction

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.