Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 02-23-21, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 792 Likes on 519 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

I think that Tyson also gets points for having been a seriously messed-up young man who went to prison and is healthier now. Maybe not as strong as redemption, but he escaped from a grim environment where felony was a reasonable career path. He gets forgiveness because he used to have residual street-thug behaviors but he's since gotten rid of them.

Compare that with Bill Cosby was drugging women for decades after he became a household name. He was an executive and an A-list celebrity who wasn't satisfied with groupies, but preferred non-consent. So far as we know, Tyson raped one woman.
Old 02-23-21, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Right. Those people... Frenchmen.
Hey! Just remember, that fat tub of shit is a sex symbol over there!
Old 02-23-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I don't get HBO, so I'm not going to see the "Allen vs. Farrow" docu series on HBO for some time. I hope someone here who's been following the case sees it and can report if there's anything new in it that hasn't already been documented in several magazine and newspaper articles over the last 7 or 8 years or so. An older friend of mine, a veteran TV reviewer, saw the whole series and reviewed it and it turned her against Allen for the first time as if she hadn't been following the case at all or hadn't believed any of the articles about him. I don't want to bring it up with her because I've learned not to discuss my feelings about Allen with anybody who a) is still a fan and defender of his or b) has long been a fan of his despite what they may feel now. It's just too big a minefield.

Here's an article from three years ago that offers a then-up-to-date sum-up of the case with links to all the relevant articles and op-ed pieces from both sides. It's called: "Why Woody Allen hasn't been toppled by the #MeToo reckoning--yet."

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/1/1...legation-metoo
Old 02-23-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 239 Posts

Re: Depardieu's... so someone who's admitted to participating in a few rapes during his childhood turned out to be an rapist as an adult. Go figure.
Old 02-24-21, 03:45 AM

Received 199 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I don't get HBO, so I'm not going to see the "Allen vs. Farrow" docu series on HBO for some time. I hope someone here who's been following the case sees it and can report if there's anything new in it that hasn't already been documented in several magazine and newspaper articles over the last 7 or 8 years or so. An older friend of mine, a veteran TV reviewer, saw the whole series and reviewed it and it turned her against Allen for the first time as if she hadn't been following the case at all or hadn't believed any of the articles about him. I don't want to bring it up with her because I've learned not to discuss my feelings about Allen with anybody who a) is still a fan and defender of his or b) has long been a fan of his despite what they may feel now. It's just too big a minefield.

Here's an article from three years ago that offers a then-up-to-date sum-up of the case with links to all the relevant articles and op-ed pieces from both sides. It's called: "Why Woody Allen hasn't been toppled by the #MeToo reckoning--yet."

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/1/1...legation-metoo
While I wouldn't say Michael Jackson or Woody Allen are innocent, in my opinion both documentaries had the basis they are guilty and told that narrative, while manipulating the audience. It's the same thing with Making a Murder, only the other way around. None of the documentaries prove or disprove anything, but the direction is clear and pretty effective. I'm pretty sure you could turn the audience into the opposite direction, with the same facts, but a different narrative. I don't say that a filmmaker has to have a neutral position, but be honest about it.
Old 02-24-21, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 142 Posts

Gerard loves to get naked in his films...I recently watched Welcome to New York and my eyes were raped.
Old 02-24-21, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,049 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Re: Depardieu's... so someone who's admitted to participating in a few rapes during his childhood turned out to be an rapist as an adult. Go figure.
Wait, what now?
Old 02-24-21, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Received 489 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
We Dudes can talk about Cat Calling with a certain amount of lightness and joking. But if you read some of stories about it from women, it's embarrassing to hear what Men say and do to them on the streets on a daily basis. I've seen women talk about how the pandemic has been a blessing because they can work from home and no longer endure cat calling to and from work. I've seen women talk about how they moved from their neighborhoods due to the excessive cat calling and having men get aggressive when the cat calling was rejected.

It's something that's made me really think about what women go through on a daily basis. I realize that as a man I take for granted that I don't have to deal with this and that women do and it can be traumatizing.
I've been catcalled twice that I can recall. It's profoundly uncomfortable. I've had a few comments thrown my way and even groped (thankfully just on my arm). I can only imagine that being a regular occurrence.

Last edited by IBJoel; 02-24-21 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 821 Likes on 553 Posts

OK, you guys humblebragging about being catcalled are making me feel ugly.

Old 02-24-21, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Received 489 Likes on 310 Posts

No bragging intended. I found it rather upsetting. I merely commented it to lessen the stigma a little and especially to support women who come forward. Unless people think I'm "misinterpreting interactions for attention".
Old 02-24-21, 12:41 PM

Received 2,657 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Old 02-24-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

I usually get the opposite of catcalling. People usually shout hey Quasimodo at me and when I go in public places, the crowd parts like the Red Sea.
Old 02-24-21, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True story...I once was walking in the West Village and 2 guys were rating guys passing by, one guy said I was a 3 and the other said "not even" and gave me a 2.

That is the closest I ever got to a catcall.
Old 02-24-21, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,049 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
True story...I once was walking in the West Village and 2 guys were rating guys passing by, one guy said I was a 3 and the other said "not even" and gave me a 2.

Do you know what the upper limit of the rating was? 4? 5? 100?
Old 02-24-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

1-10 is the standard scale.
Old 02-24-21, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 292 Likes on 208 Posts

First time I saw something like catcalling was almost 30 years ago, as a senior in high school, I was in the back of a car (smaller car, so you couldn't really see me from outside of the car), and two girls in the front. Just for the 30 minutes or so of driving, they got cat-called from almost every car (which only had a man or men in it - no women) that drove by or was next to us at a light.
I'm like, "does this shit happen often?", and they just laughed.
Old 02-24-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 903 Posts

You're jealous because we were mistaken for women?

Old 02-24-21, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 470 Posts

I don't buy it, Jay. When I was a kid, one of the times we were in NYC as a family, I believe we were walking through Greenwich Village. The sidewalk was busy. Suddenly one of my parents pointed out that a couple of passing guys were giving me leering looks. It was briefly unsettling. I was a very attractive, athletic boy, and probably gave off un-streetwise, happy-go-lucky vibes that pedos like.
Old 02-24-21, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Do you know what the upper limit of the rating was? 4? 5? 100?
Judging by the way I look...100
Old 02-24-21, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I don't buy it, Jay.
Thanks, but it is the truth. It is something I will never forget because it is the only time anyone took notice of me on the streets of NYC.
Old 02-24-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 470 Posts

Thanks, but it is the truth. It is something I will never forget because it is the only time anyone took notice of me on the streets of NYC.
Well, I'm sorry you have such low self-esteem. It's one of many character traits we share. You should post a photo of yourself, if you feel comfortable. Everyone expecting a ghastly, slobbering, cellar-dwelling monster will be shocked.
Old 02-25-21, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Well, I'm sorry you have such low self-esteem. It's one of many character traits we share. You should post a photo of yourself, if you feel comfortable. Everyone expecting a ghastly, slobbering, cellar-dwelling monster will be shocked.
thanks for the kind words

Spoiler:
At least I made the cover of a magazine

Old 02-25-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Ever since my friend reviewed the Allen vs. Farrow series, I've been trying to find interesting takes on the subject on-line. Nothing really up-to-date yet. But I found this impassioned defense of Allen, published two years ago by a devoted fan of his, that brings up something that I'd never really encountered in detail before: a discussion of his current family situation with Soon-yi and their two adopted daughters. What I found eerie was how closely the older daughter resembles Soon-yi and how the younger one has some resemblance to Dylan as seen in pictures included in the piece. Coincidence or not? I'm not saying this means anything and I'm not sure how all this bears on the original accusation other than that on the surface, Woody and Soon-yi seem to have had a happy marriage for 20-odd years and loving daughters, with the older one defending him publicly. If there's any reason to dispute this I haven't seen it. Despite the accusations and the Connecticut custody case, the New York court allowed the couple to adopt two daughters. I'm guessing the documentary doesn't explore this although it might have been worth touching on. Again, I'm not defending Woody or making a case either way, just adding something to the discussion.

As for the authors' assertion that those attacking Allen are anti-Semites, I don't think that helps his case any.

https://levine2001.medium.com/the-wo...s-1e41d7c0511a

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-25-21 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 03:26 PM

There is a thread for it in the TV Forum:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/65...2-21-21-a.html
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (02-25-21)
Old 02-26-21, 01:02 PM

Inside Joss Whedon’s ‘Cutting’ and ‘Toxic’ World of ‘Buffy’ and ‘Angel’ (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2021/tv/features...ce-1234915549/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.