Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
We may disagree, but I am absolutely firm in my stance that he had the right --and in fact, the obligation-- to find out if she was going to be visibly pregnant when the show was in production.
I work in a business where a woman getting pregnant affects things in a major way. The last fucking thing I would EVER say as a boss is "are you going to keep it?" even though it has a huge impact on the day to day. I say "congratulations" and "let's figure out a plan together".

I cannot believe that shit is being defended in here.
The following 11 users liked this post by Draven:
andicus (02-17-21), Deftones (02-17-21), DJariya (02-17-21), Fist of Doom Jr (02-17-21), Giantrobo (02-17-21), Hazel Motes (02-17-21), IBJoel (02-24-21), Jaymole (02-18-21), majorjoe23 (02-17-21), spainlinx0 (02-19-21), whotony (02-17-21) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-17-21, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I haven't heard of any of these people, but they're apparently big in Greece. Not that anyone's fingered Sophocles or Euripides yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/16/w...use-metoo.html

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-17-21 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-17-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I haven't heard of any of these people, but they're apparently big in Greece. Not that anyone's fingered Sophocle or Euripides yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/16/w...use-metoo.html
Dang, Ash, way to sneak in the dirty stuff.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (02-17-21)
Old 02-17-21, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I work in a business where a woman getting pregnant affects things in a major way. The last fucking thing I would EVER say as a boss is "are you going to keep it?" even though it has a huge impact on the day to day. I say "congratulations" and "let's figure out a plan together".

Thank you. And side note, pregnancy can affect male employees as well because these days lots of men take Maternity Leave WITH their partners. I did it and I've had several guys do this who work for me. While some old dudes would say it's "soft"....these days are not like the old days where the man just steps aside and lets the woman handle ALL the pregnancy and baby havin' experiences then shows up a day or two after the baby is born and acts like he did all the work.

That said, I wouldn't even joke with a male employee about whether or not his partner is keeping their baby let alone a woman. And if my boss had said something like that to me, yeah, I'd be in the HR office filing a complaint.
IBJoel (02-24-21)
Old 02-17-21, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Old 02-17-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Maybe Whedon had a habit of casually dropping profanity into his conversation. Maybe he liked to make off-color comments and jokes. Maybe he was always saying "That's what she said." Maybe he rubbed her shoulders and sniffed her hair.

When someone says that an adult man was forbidden from being alone with a teenage girl, one thing has to come to mind, but no one is willing to make that accusation.

But by making NO accusation of a specific transgression, the public is free to imagine the worst.

Think about Al Franken. If all you knew was that a very sexy woman was accusing him of sexual harassment, what would you think happened?
Was him standing over her for a joke photo at the top of the list? Nope. But that was one his big transgressions. And he tried to make an excuse to kiss her during a sketch rehearsal.

Pathetic

Amber Benson was the one who tweeted support for Carpenter and said Buffy was a toxic environment.

Dushku, like others, expressed support for Carpenter speaking her truth and support for victims speaking out in general. Dishku has not criticized Whedon or made a statement from which any accusations against Whedon can be inferred.
Pathetic

Maybe he's not apologizing because he thinks being an asshole is how you get things done, and if any of the snowflakes on his set don't like it, they can fuck off.
Pathetic.
IBJoel (02-24-21)
Old 02-17-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

In my company we are a team of three, one woman, two guys. Our colleague announced her pregnancy a few weeks back. He taking maternity leave means more work for us our team leader has to change a lot things around because she is crucial to his biggest project, so it's pretty inconvenient for us. No one asked if she is keeping the baby, we all were happy for her, even though we were surprised because her age suggested she and her husband wouldn't have another child.

We just asked, if she was sure the baby was hers. Now she redused her hours, because the doctor said, she shouldn't work more than three hours a day, which means our workload is getting bigger even before she is leaving and guess what, we aren't pissed at all.
Giantrobo (02-18-21)
Old 02-17-21, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Except that whedon wasn't some close friend that had known her for years. He was the boss, asking an employee at work if she was going to keep it.

But feel free to keep twisting that pretzel.
They did know each other for years. I have no idea how informal their relationship was and neither do you. But that's not the point, see below.

Originally Posted by Runaway
OK, he only indicated an abortion would help his showrunning, that's completly diffrent and not at all inapporiate and this indication wasn't the mockery, Carpenter mocked her in addition to the indication.
It's pretty telling you only comented on the one accusation I rephrased and ignored all the others.

Just say, you don't want to believe any of the accusations, which is fine by me, there is no prove, but spare us the notion that there are no accusations which discribe horrible behavior.
Surely the timing pissed him of, most bosses will be pissed of if they had to work around a pregancy, but if you are a feminist or just not a prick, you keep your shit together and vent at home. What you don't do is ask or hind or give the notion you're pissed of. You just say congratulations.

I'm not defending it.

Even if everything Carpenter says happened as she described, it is a unique situation between her and Whedon. He was reacting to her pregnancy and how it would affect the show. It was personal between the two of them.

So what's Benson's problem? And no one has explained the Tractenberg rule.

There was a post earlier in the thread where someone wondered why none of the Avengers have had anything to say about Whedon. Maybe it's for the same reason Gellar and Hannigan and Boreanaz and Dushku, etc, have not been talking about how horrible he is . . . because he wasn't horrible to them.

Whedon has made a lot of shit and worked with a lot of people, and TWO of those people come out with serious accusations about him, and what has been the reaction? He needs to disappear.

That's my problem with all this and why I have kept going in this thread. I am very concerned about the glee with which people are eager to see people (I will use the word) cancelled.

I was following this story and the reactions to it in various places, and so, so many of the reactions were along the lines of, "To hell with him. I hope he never works again."

Like I said, I'm not defending Whedon. No one can because he isn't on trial. Ray Fisher and Charisma Carpenter made their accusations, and the court of public opinion (like most people here) instantly decided to declare him guilty and sentence his career to execution. That's very troubling to me.

Old 02-17-21, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It comes down to if you believe what Carpenter and Fisher have said vs. what you think you know about Joss Whedon
IBJoel (02-24-21)
Old 02-17-21, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

It comes down to if you believe what Carpenter and Fisher have said vs. what you think you know about Joss Whedon
What does everybody who believes Carpenter and Fisher think they know about them?

Old 02-18-21, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

The thing that I don't get about this new cancel culture is the retroactive nature of it. I've heard it in this thread as well. "Now that I know Whedon is a creep, I cannot find enjoyment in his previous work any longer."

What's the statute of limitations on this outrage directed at the work? Hitchcock is a good example. Kubrick is maybe an even better one. He was described as cruel by many actors he worked with. His treatment of Shelley Duvall on The Shining is legendary, and yet, the movie is still widely beloved and considered a classic. It often just feels like being fashionable.

And I'm not trying to defend Whedon. I just look at his actions separate from the final work. I always remember a friend of mine telling me - years before the me too thing - that if movies were judged by the amount of fun people had while making it, Cannonball Run 2 would be considered the greatest movie of all time. The truth is that often the best art came out of not so great conditions. At what point are we allowed to like a movie or TV show based on its own merit rather than off camera drama?

In my company we are a team of three, one woman, two guys. Our colleague announced her pregnancy a few weeks back. He taking maternity leave means more work for us our team leader has to change a lot things around because she is crucial to his biggest project, so it's pretty inconvenient for us. No one asked if she is keeping the baby, we all were happy for her, even though we were surprised because her age suggested she and her husband wouldn't have another child.

We just asked, if she was sure the baby was hers. Now she redused her hours, because the doctor said, she shouldn't work more than three hours a day, which means our workload is getting bigger even before she is leaving and guess what, we aren't pissed at all.
Did anyone else think this sounded a lot like he actually is pissed about it? Because that's how it came across to me. 😂
Old 02-18-21, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
The thing that I don't get about this new cancel culture is the retroactive nature of it. I've heard it in this thread as well. "Now that I know Whedon is a creep, I cannot find enjoyment in his previous work any longer."

What's the statute of limitations on this outrage directed at the work? Hitchcock is a good example. Kubrick is maybe an even better one. He was described as cruel by many actors he worked with. His treatment of Shelley Duvall on The Shining is legendary, and yet, the movie is still widely beloved and considered a classic. It often just feels like being fashionable.
I was pointing out that earlier in the thread heard something to the effect of: "Sure Mike Tyson admitted to beating women and was convicted for raping another women--but if he pulled that NOW, he'd be in trouble!" (What the fuck?) James Cameron was a nightmare to his staff in The Abyss. Quentin Tarantino permanently injured Uma Thurman in the making of Kill Bill. They're not being taken to task for this. There's no real rhyme or reason who gets busted--let alone busted for what. There's a statute of limitations for someone people and not for others.

The *big* question that I haven't gotten a straight answer on is: did Whedon commit a crime or do anything actionable in a criminal or civil case-- or was he simply a hateful bastard on set? Because you're going to have to bust a LOT of people of BOTH SEXES in the working world for that.

A court of law has some level of consistency because laws are supposed to be based on agreed upon PRINCIPLES of conduct. There's due process. A defendant gets their day in court and a defense council. The Court of Public Opinion doesn't have that--but it can still dole out life-ruining penalties all the same. Society expects me to go along with the latest in vogue lynch mob for the latest celebrity fuck-up. When I ask, "what has that celebrity done? I'm not getting getting a lot of specifics." And the reply is "they don't owe you specifics!" For which my reply is: "don't expect me to take part in your mobbing up of a person if you can't provide specific charges of what they've done--let alone proof of bad behavior."

Frankly, this is just a more socially acceptable form of mob justice and I refuse to take part in it.
Old 02-18-21, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Did anyone else think this sounded a lot like he actually is pissed about it? Because that's how it came across to me. 😂
I read it again, it actually sounds pissed
I'm really not, I was just writing angry, because Whedon's behavior was excused.
Old 02-18-21, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What does everybody who believes Carpenter and Fisher think they know about them?
The investigation into Fisher’s claims found some credibility because they were not dismissed outright and just watching what happened to Carpenter’s character on “Angel” is enough to know something went wrong, not to mention the behind-the-scenes stories that were common at the time.

And both have received support from others who were there.

So that’s more credible than the defense of Whedon, which seems to be “I really like Firefly so I know Whedon’s a nice guy!”

The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
IBJoel (02-24-21), whotony (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Based on what I have read here and nowhere else it sounds like he was a mean boss to some and a dick. Big deal. Burn him I guess. Fuck all this cancel culture nonsense with zero evidence. Anyone can basically say anything on twitter and people take it as gospel and real news.

That is where I stand based on what has been presented here. I don't give a rats ass if he works again or not.

Hollywood in general is doing a great job of trying to bury themselves right now and it could not happen a nicer bunch.

Old 02-18-21, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Based on what I have read here and nowhere else it sounds like he was a mean boss to some and a dick. Big deal. Burn him I guess. Fuck all this cancel culture nonsense with zero evidence. Anyone can basically say anything on twitter and people take it as gospel and real news.
This isn't "anyone can say anything" - these are people who were there and experienced it firsthand. Not only should we believe what women say about the way men abuse them, but Carpenter's association with Buffy and Angel continues to be a good thing for her - what is her incentive to tear that down?

Hollywood in general is doing a great job of trying to bury themselves right now and it could not happen a nicer bunch.
Naw, just the "old guard" who think it's acceptable to ask a woman who tells you she is pregnant if she's keeping the baby because it might mean you have to give her more purses to hold on your show...they are losing their power. Hint: that isn't acceptable.
The following 3 users liked this post by Draven:
IBJoel (02-24-21), majorjoe23 (02-19-21), whotony (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I wouldn't say zero evidence, it seems pretty well corroborated at this point. But none of it is illegal so it's simply a matter of if you think it's a big deal or not and opinions will vary.

He sounds like a bit of a dick and a bully, at least that seems to be the big take away for me, that isn't unique to Hollywood, men or people in power so overall I'm sort of ambivalent on the situation. Should he apologize for being a dick? Sure. But the outrage against it does seem to be a bit over the top. Now if Trachtenberg has something truly inappropriate to share, that's another thing entirely.
Old 02-18-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

What's deadly is when real life behavior runs counter to the image they've been associated with.
It's still positive when someone known for playing heavies and villains is commonly known as a warm person IRL.

It's when an artist's work is commonly seen as emphatic, progressive, and humanistic - when it regularly gives voice to less powerful constituencies- and then that artist is then revealed to be a colossal, bullying dick IRL, that's deadly to their brand.

Whedon's stuff has usually championed and gave voice to the kind of demos that are generally sidelined most of the time. And he treated low-brow genre material with sensitivity and creativity, using it to explore serious, humanistic themes. He's During the time of Buffy and Firefly, he's probably the last filmmaker I would have expected to be accused of being casually cruel to staff- especially female staff and co-workers.

For as talented as he has been, these stories are a stain that is going to be almost impossible to wash out over time.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 02-18-21 at 12:27 PM.
spainlinx0 (02-19-21)
Old 02-18-21, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
For as talented as Whedon has been, this is a stain that is going to be almost impossible to wash out over time.
And it's been something that has been said about him for years now...it's just coming to a head now. His ex-wife wrote that essay about his behavior back in 2016 and there were rumors of his treatment of Carpenter from the early 2000s.
Old 02-18-21, 09:56 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Maybe Paramount can hire Whedon to head one of their studios like they did John Lasseter.
Old 02-18-21, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Now if Trachtenberg has something truly inappropriate to share, that's another thing entirely.
This. This, right here.

Old 02-18-21, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Not everyone pays heed to gossip.

Old 02-18-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
I was pointing out that earlier in the thread heard something to the effect of: "Sure Mike Tyson admitted to beating women and was convicted for raping another women--but if he pulled that NOW, he'd be in trouble!" (What the fuck?) James Cameron was a nightmare to his staff in The Abyss. Quentin Tarantino permanently injured Uma Thurman in the making of Kill Bill. They're not being taken to task for this. There's no real rhyme or reason who gets busted--let alone busted for what. There's a statute of limitations for someone people and not for others.

The *big* question that I haven't gotten a straight answer on is: did Whedon commit a crime or do anything actionable in a criminal or civil case-- or was he simply a hateful bastard on set? Because you're going to have to bust a LOT of people of BOTH SEXES in the working world for that.

A court of law has some level of consistency because laws are supposed to be based on agreed upon PRINCIPLES of conduct. There's due process. A defendant gets their day in court and a defense council. The Court of Public Opinion doesn't have that--but it can still dole out life-ruining penalties all the same. Society expects me to go along with the latest in vogue lynch mob for the latest celebrity fuck-up. When I ask, "what has that celebrity done? I'm not getting getting a lot of specifics." And the reply is "they don't owe you specifics!" For which my reply is: "don't expect me to take part in your mobbing up of a person if you can't provide specific charges of what they've done--let alone proof of bad behavior."

Frankly, this is just a more socially acceptable form of mob justice and I refuse to take part in it.
There are specific accusations of bad behavior, not criminal behavior, but you are so into your whataboutism, that you just ignore them. Joss Whedon isn't a wife beater, he isn't a rapist, he is accused of being a mean boss, just like you said. Just acknowledge the fact, he is accused of that and the accusations are probably true, since a lot of people hinted to the fact they are true and Warner removed Whedon from the show he was developing.

In my opinion Whedon hasn't to be cancelled, perhaps he should have some time to reflect on his behavior and change it in the future, but your unwillingness to even acknowledge the strong probability, that he is a mean boss, just because you like his shows and he was nice to you, when you met him. Than putting yourself on the moral high ground, for not particpiating is kind of funny.
whotony (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And you know what goes a long way with the American public? Sincere apologies and demonstration of follow-through.
Giantrobo (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 01:17 PM

And you know what goes a long way with the American public? Sincere apologies and demonstration of follow-through.
No it doesn't. Never has and never will. American culture by it's nature is deeply unforgiving.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.