Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 02-01-21, 07:27 AM

Received 4,543 Likes on 3,082 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

He “Horrifically Abused Me for Years”: Evan Rachel Wood and Other Women Make Allegations of Abuse Against Marilyn Manson

In the past, actor and activist Evan Rachel Wood has spoken about the alleged abuse she was subjected to by an unnamed ex. In an Instagram post early Monday morning, she put a name to the allegations.

“The name of my abuser is Brian Warner, also known to the world as Marilyn Manson,” Wood wrote. “He started grooming me when I was a teenager and horrifically abused me for years. I was brainwashed and manipulated into submission. I am done living in fear of retaliation, slander, or blackmail. I am here to expose this dangerous man and call out the many industries that have enabled him, before he ruins any more lives. I stand with the many victims who will no longer be silent.”

In a show of solidarity, at least four other women posted their own allegations against Manson, detailing harrowing experiences that they claim included sexual assault, psychological abuse, and/or various forms of coercion, violence, and intimidation. Manson has denied similar allegations in the past. His representatives were not immediately available for a comment, but his team has “categorically denied” similar accusations in the past. V.F. will update this breaking news as the story develops.

Wood, now 33 and a star of HBO’s Westworld, has said that she met shock-rocker Manson when she was 18 and he was 36. In 2018, Wood testified before a House Judiciary Subcommittee as part of an effort to get the Sexual Assault Survivors Bill of Rights passed in all 50 states. “My experience with domestic violence was this: Toxic mental, physical and sexual abuse which started slow but escalated over time, including threats against my life, severe gaslighting and brainwashing, waking up to the man that claimed to love me raping what he believed to be my unconscious body,” she told the subcommittee, though she did not name a perpetrator at the time.

The following year, she testified before California legislators on behalf of the Phoenix Act, legislation that altered the statute of limitations for crimes involving domestic violence.

In 2009, in an article in Spin, Manson was quoted as saying of Wood, “I have fantasies every day about smashing her skull in with a sledgehammer.” Last year, when that comment was brought up by a music journalist, a representative for Manson noted that the comment was “obviously a theatrical rock star interview promoting a new record, and not a factual account.” Wood and Manson were engaged in 2010 before breaking up.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, in May of 2018, months after the #MeToo movement began sweeping through the entertainment industry, a police report was filed against Manson citing unspecified sex crimes that allegedly took place in 2011. In August of 2018, the Los Angeles District’s Attorney office announced that it was declining to pursue that case because of a lack of corroborating evidence. At that time, Manson’s attorney, Howard E. King, told The Hollywood Reporter that the “allegations made to the police were and are categorically denied by Mr. Warner and are either completely delusional or part of a calculated attempt to generate publicity…. . … Any claim of sexual impropriety or imprisonment at that, or any other, time is false.”

ASHLEY WALTERS

“I continue to suffer from PTSD, and struggle with depression. I stayed in touch with quite a few people who went through their own traumas, under his control. As we all struggled, as survivors do, to get on with our lives, I’d keep hearing stories disturbingly similar to our own experiences. It became clear the abuse he’s caused; he continues to inflict on so many and I cannot stand by and let this happen to others. Brian Warner needs to be held accountable.”

SARAH MCNEILLY

“I have been afraid to bring any spotlight upon myself as to avoid winding up in his crosshairs again. As a result of the way he treated me, I suffer from mental health issues and PTSD that have affected my personal and professional relationships, self-worth and personal goals. I believe he gets off on ruining people’'s lives. I stand in support of all that have and all will come forward. I want to see Brian held accountable for his evil.”

ASHLEY LINDSAY MORGAN

“I have night terrors, PTSD, anxiety, and mostly crippling OCD. I try to wash constantly to get him out or off of me. ... I am coming forward so he will finally stop.”

GABRIELLA

“It has taken me five years to speak out and say that I was in an abusive relationship. I have been diagnosed with PTSD and still suffer from nightmares. I blocked out a lot of the memories, but the feelings remain and manifest in various ways. The reason I’m finally sharing this traumatic experience is for my healing and because I’m done being silent. I don’t believe it’s fair for someone to not be held accountable for their horrific actions. I’m not a victim. I’m a survivor.”

In addition to his career as a musician, Manson has also worked regularly as an actor. He’s appeared in a number of films as well as television programs like American Gods, Salem, Sons of Anarchy, and The New Pope. He is also set to appear in the 2021 season of AMC’s horror anthology Creepshow. V.F. has reached out to AMC for comment regarding Manson’s participation in Creepshow.

In a 2019 interview, Wood said, “I used to think being strong was not being affected. And now, to me, being strong is letting it affect you but being able to move past it, and seeing the pain, walking through it, letting it flow through you, and then letting it leave. You can break and still be strong.”
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...marilyn-manson

Not surprised. I remember an episode of Dinner For Five that he was on where he talked about some disturbing shit he had done where it sounded like he was making a snuff film.
Old 02-01-21, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Probably one of least surprising of the bunch...
The following 2 users liked this post by TheMovieman:
Deftones (02-01-21), mikehunt (02-01-21)
Old 02-01-21, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Probably one of least surprising of the bunch...
Exactly...

It's Marilyn Manson. What the fuck did you think was going to happen?

Once again.... another case of a woman attracted to an asshole (in this case.. King of the Assholes) and then in complete shock when they are treated like shit.
Old 02-01-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Has Rose Megowan commented?
Old 02-01-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
Has Rose Megowan commented?
I'm waiting for a press conference and call to action by Alyssa Milano.
Old 02-01-21, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 997 Likes on 618 Posts

Wait... you're telling me Marilyn Manson is some kind of deviant?!
Old 02-01-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Go on! Isn't this the dude who had ribs removed so he could suck himself off? Seems the retiring type.
Old 02-01-21, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,182 Likes on 2,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Go on! Isn't this the dude who had ribs removed so he could suck himself off? Seems the retiring type.
You donít say. For research purposes, how much does a surgery like that cost and is it covered by my insurance?
Old 02-01-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

So he make absolutely shitty "music" and is a total piece of shit to boot. He's the total package.
Old 02-01-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Exactly...

It's Marilyn Manson. What the fuck did you think was going to happen?

Once again.... another case of a woman attracted to an asshole (in this case.. King of the Assholes) and then in complete shock when they are treated like shit.
You're right, 18 year old kids can't be manipulated into making poor life choices by a person with experience at employing predatory behaviour. It's her fault really. She was just asking to be raped and abused.
Old 02-01-21, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

She probably has a history of wearing provocative clothes too.
Old 02-02-21, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
You're right, 18 year old kids can't be manipulated into making poor life choices by a person with experience at employing predatory behaviour. It's her fault really. She was just asking to be raped and abused.
She wasn't a kid, she was an adult at age 18. No one said it was her fault. No one said she was asking for anything abusive...

But there comes a time when one makes poor choices and must be held responsible for their actions made of their own free will. Marilyn Manson (jesus, the name alone should scare anyone) is obviously the type of bad boy plenty of women like, latch onto, and then later regret. They don't deserve to be abused, of course. But depending on the situation, women's motives and actions aren't immune from scrutiny.
The following users liked this post:
candyrocket786 (02-02-21)
Old 02-10-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Charisma Carpenter came out today on social media and says that Joss Whedon is indeed a piece of shit and was absusive on his sets. She stands with Ray Fisher's claims.

The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm wondering if anyone else from the Buffyverse will come forward.

For some reason, I feel like Michelle Trachtenberg has a story to tell.
Old 02-10-21, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

SMG followed up. She's kind of disassociating herself now from Whedon.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/sarah-m...fy-1234691481/
Old 02-10-21, 03:24 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Old 02-10-21, 03:26 PM

Received 4,543 Likes on 3,082 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I'm wondering if anyone else from the Buffyverse will come forward.

For some reason, I feel like Michelle Trachtenberg has a story to tell.

Old 02-10-21, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Oh shit.....
Old 02-10-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Whedon better start thinking of a new line of work, because he's never working again.

Unless he can live on the residuals of his past work the rest of his life.

Old 02-10-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 898 Posts

Whatís with how she wrote that tweet? Weird how she typed it out.
Old 02-10-21, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Forgive me for asking: why is the Joss Whedon thing in the Sexual Harassment/Assault in Hollywood thread. To my knowledge, he hasn't been accused of sexual harassment or assault.
Old 02-10-21, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,633 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Forgive me for asking: why is the Joss Whedon thing in the Sexual Harassment/Assault in Hollywood thread. To my knowledge, he hasn't been accused of sexual harassment or assault.
Did you miss all of these posts accusing him of inappropriate and toxic behavior from female cast members?
Old 02-10-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Did you miss all of these posts accusing him of inappropriate and toxic behavior from female cast members?
I thought the same thing as PatD, though. Is the sexual harrassment part just because of his treatment of the opposite sex or does it have to include inappropriate sexual advances? I always thought the latter. I mean apparently the guy is an equal opportunity jerk, at least to minorities.
Old 02-10-21, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
What did he specifically do? When other celebrities who've been accused of sexual misconduct were accused, their accusers generally went into specifics. Was there actual sue-able sexual harassment? Did he do anything that could have led to a civil or criminal case? I genuinely want to know. All I've heard is he's an asshole who created a toxic work environment.

EDITED: I was wrong about the outcome in regards to John Landis and Vic Morrow. John Landis was found Not Guilty of manslaughter.

Last edited by PatD; 02-10-21 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
What did he specifically did he do? Was there actual sue-able sexual harassment? Did he do anything that could have led to a civil or criminal case? I genuinely want to know.

Also for the record: John Landis actually KILLED some of his actors and he's still allowed to work in Hollywood with his reputation relatively intact.
Again no idea what is true and what's not, but if he called a closed door meeting with his pregnant castmember and asked her "if she was going to keep it" then attacked her the way she describes, that seems ripe for a lawsuit at least in this day and age. And that's the key, I think, things are a lot different now, at least in the public's view.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.