Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 10-14-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,451 Likes on 923 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
So many other men in power have done the same thing...how Clinton ever became Pres I do not know.
Why does Clinton's name keep coming up? Why not Hastert?
Old 10-14-17, 03:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
So many other men in power have done the same thing...how Clinton ever became Pres I do not know.
I think goodwill may have something to do with it. When you've done some good maybe people are more willing to overlook the bad. But when you're Harvey and you haven't done any good...
Old 10-14-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Movie Academy Votes To Expel Harvey Weinstein: Complicity “In Our Industry Is Over”

“The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Board of Governors met today to discuss the allegations against Harvey Weinstein, and has voted well in excess of the required two-thirds majority to immediately expel him from the Academy,” AMPAS said in a statement after the meeting. (See it below).

“We do so not simply to separate ourselves from someone who does not merit the respect of his colleagues,” AMPAS writes, “but also to send a message that the era of willful ignorance and shameful complicity in sexually predatory behavior and workplace harassment in our industry is over.”
deadline.com/2017/10/ampas-harvey-weinstein-movie-academy-suspension-oscars-1202188478/
Old 10-14-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 835 Likes on 583 Posts

I suspect that Harvey's essentially being tossed out of the industry will kill him.

I'm sure money wont be an issue for him even after any lost lawsuits, but I think he absolutely loves being a huge player in the industry - and not just to allow him to sexually harass/abuse. He probably totally and completely defines himself by his position. So I can easily see him offing himself - to which I say "good riddance".
Old 10-14-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

He still has my vote if he wants to run for president.
Old 10-14-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ev...in-1202590025/

Eva Green too. Though she mentioned she got away without anything happening. Per the article the only movie she's done under Weinstein was Sin City 2
Old 10-14-17, 04:16 PM

Received 4,547 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Sarah Polley:
https://nyti.ms/2z8VtRF
Old 10-14-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
i've wondered over the years why she didn't become a bigger star after the Dawn of the Dead remake. & that would be considered a strong female role by most standards
Old 10-14-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Whose number did McGowan tweet out? I’ve searched but didn’t find a name.
Old 10-14-17, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i've wondered over the years why she didn't become a bigger star after the Dawn of the Dead remake. & that would be considered a strong female role by most standards
Her directing work is pretty stellar, IMO.
Old 10-14-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Polley is amazing!

Her description of Weinstein:
...he was just one festering pustule in a diseased industry
Old 10-14-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I suspect that Harvey's essentially being tossed out of the industry will kill him.

I'm sure money wont be an issue for him even after any lost lawsuits, but I think he absolutely loves being a huge player in the industry - and not just to allow him to sexually harass/abuse. He probably totally and completely defines himself by his position. So I can easily see him offing himself - to which I say "good riddance".
His own brother accused him of being physically and mentally abusive towards him today. I'd think the guy's only friends are going to be his high priced lawyers.
Old 10-14-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I think it's more that Sarah didn't want to pursue acting, especially in Hollywood movies. She prefers to direct and write (she recently wrote the TV adaptation of Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace). Based on her experiences, I can't blame her.
Old 10-14-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Old 10-14-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"own up to a lot" could mean either he's done creepy stuff in the past (the foot obsession wouldn't be surprising if it's his thing) or he knew about Harvey but didn't speak up
Old 10-14-17, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14
Sarah is an excellent writer, both eloquent and concise. She frames the complexity of being entangled as a victim very clearly.

For those interested, check out her letter to Terry Gilliam regarding Baron Munchausen and his response.

PS Her writing is a breath of fresh air compared to Amber Whover's profanity ridled twitter diarrhea.

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-14-17 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
PS Her writing is a breath of fresh air compared to Amber Whover's profanity ridled twitter diarrhea.
Was just going to bring that up.... a world of difference between the well written articles vs some of these gals twitter rants.
Old 10-14-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Saw The Foreigner today and some trailer was starting and the Weinstein Logo flashed. Massive boos from the audience.
Old 10-14-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Polley is amazing!

Her description of Weinstein:

The whole article is amazing, but especially that description in context, which frames the discussion we should be having about Hollywood:

Harvey Weinstein may be the central-casting version of a Hollywood predator, but he was just one festering pustule in a diseased industry. The only thing that shocked most people in the film industry about the Harvey Weinstein story was that suddenly, for some reason, people seemed to care. That knowledge alone allowed a lot of us to breathe for the first time in ages.

Here is an unsettling problem that I am left with now: Like so many, I knew about him. And not just from my comparatively tame meeting with him. For years, I heard the horrible stories that are now chilling so many people to their core. Like so many, I didn’t know what to do with all of it. I’ve grown up in this industry, surrounded by predatory behavior, and the idea of making people care about it seemed as distant an ambition as pulling the sun out of the sky.
It's true, why do people care now? It's been a running story for many years, although always on the outskirts of having enough proof to prosecute even in the area of public opinion. And yet we crucify people based on rumors all the time. But for many, it was just "how Hollywood works" so what's the difference?

Even here the main media source tried to pawn the story off, and NBC still seems curiously afraid to even parody the story.

I mentioned it before but I remember the Cosby thing getting legs because a comedian mentioned it in an act, as if it were common knowledge, and it just snowballed from there.
Old 10-14-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,148 Likes on 4,183 Posts

I was scanning through my copy of Down and Dirty Pictures. While there are tons of stories about how awful Harvey Weinstein (and Bob, for that matter) was -- being an awful ogre with fits of fury and rage; lashing out at subordinates, there doesn't seem to be any mention of his sexual predatory nature at all. Weird, as if they suppressed it for fear of getting sued or something. No way you could have extensively researched the Weinsteins and not come up with something, right?
Old 10-14-17, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Heck even the NYPD 2015 sting, where we got the audio from, was dropped because they said it wasn't sufficient to press charges, which seems unbelievable to me.
Old 10-15-17, 12:55 AM
Banned

The SNL audience doesn't get the Hitchcock joke.
Old 10-15-17, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Bob Weinstein interviewed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...htmare-1048905
Old 10-15-17, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Doesn't seem like the news can get any worse for Harv, but it does ...

English actress Lysette Anthony tells police Harvey Weinstein raped her in her London home: Hollyoaks star says disgraced movie mogul stalked her then attacked her in her hallway

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...raped-her.html

The actress described how the attack happened when Weinstein – who knew Ms Anthony socially – went to her London home one morning and she answered the door in her dressing gown.

She said: 'He pushed me inside and rammed me up against the coat rack in my tiny hall and started fumbling at my gown. He was trying to kiss me and shove inside me. It was disgusting.'

'As he ground himself against me and shoved inside me, I kept my eyes shut tight, held my breath and just let him get on with it.'

Weinstein then left. 'It was pathetic, revolting,' she told The Sunday Times. 'I remember lying in the bath, crying.'

I remember her from Krull. She was a hottie back then. Weinstein can go to hell.
Old 10-15-17, 07:07 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_QSFf69zvyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.