Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Also it often times take a very specific type of person to gain those levels of power and many of them have sociopathic and narcissistic tendencies which can lead to abusing the power and those types either don't care how their actions affect others or can delude themselves into thinking their behavior is justified or even believe they are doing nothing wrong.

It is likely such power used on them at some point in their past as well in many cases.
Old 09-13-18, 01:09 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Pure, plain, and simply wrong. Being in a position of power and pressuring someone to have sex is not a bad date.
Except he wasn’t in a position of power because it had nothing to do with the work environment. And the article was literally called: “I went on a date with Aziz Ansari...”

If it were a PA on the show he created that he was constantly crossing the line with it would be a little different.
Old 09-13-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Kind of related to the Moonves situation, but I watched a video yesterday (called the Weekly Hero) and Robert Meyer Burnett is one of the co-hosts. If you don't know who he is, he's worked on, produced and edited many of the behind the scenes documentaries on the Star Trek the next generation blu-rays. He's had many dealings with CBS. He says that no one is going to miss Moonves. He said Moonves is hated and is the one responsible for forcing out Rick Berman (Star Trek's main producer) into early retirement.
Old 09-13-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Many women go along with male advances because they are fearful of what the man will do if rejected in any way. It's consequently a great way for guys to say "she was totally into it!"
I get that, but at the same time - how is the man supposed to know if she's doing it out of fear or if she's has legitimate interest? Like I said, if this wasn't Harvey - I honestly would've thought she was genuinely interested in him by how she acts in the video. It didn't even look like an act.

Of course we know Harvey's "do or die" approach, so I'm obviously believing her over him 100%. It's weird that she didn't work for Harvey, so he couldn't fire her... she just wouldn't have his business (if I assumed the working relationship correctly).

In any case, Harvey can go fuck himself when he asks for forgiveness. It wasn't a one time thing... or even during a short period of time. It was systematic across a long number of years, to a large number of women. And when he didn't get his way, he destroyed careers and lives. This isn't a person making a mistake... this is the person's true self.
Old 09-13-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Kind of related to the Moonves situation, but I watched a video yesterday (called the Weekly Hero) and Robert Meyer Burnett is one of the co-hosts. If you don't know who he is, he's worked on, produced and edited many of the behind the scenes documentaries on the Star Trek the next generation blu-rays. He's had many dealings with CBS. He says that no one is going to miss Moonves. He said Moonves is hated and is the one responsible for forcing out Rick Berman (Star Trek's main producer) into early retirement.
Well, that's one for his plus column then. Rick Berman is another asshole who sexually harassed people under him.
Old 09-13-18, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Well, this was pretty awkward. You can see that Norm would rather be anywhere else than pandering to The View.

At least Whoopi and Joy, as fellow comedians, clearly have respect and empathy for Norm, but the other two co-hosts are clueless (the co-host to his right doesn't realize that this is how Norm usually talks, regardless of the situation).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eH7QgHs3ZrE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-13-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I don't watch the show but Twitter was a little abuzz because at the end of Big Brother, Julie said "I'm Julie Chen Moonves. Goodnight."
Old 09-13-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As soon as I heard about the Norm situation I immediately thought he was taken out of context, given how Norm thinks/speaks. The political correctness today is pathetic IMO.
Old 09-14-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Not Hollywood, directly, but...

John Jarratt (Mick Taylor in the Wolf Creek movies/series) has been charged with a rape, dating back to 1976. As a result, the S2 US release has been put on hold, as well as any work on S3. He's said he's willing to take a lie detector test to answer the allegation, but it's unlikely that he'll see trial until August 2019, at the earliest.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...29-p500j9.html
Old 09-14-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
As soon as I heard about the Norm situation I immediately thought he was taken out of context, given how Norm thinks/speaks. The political correctness today is pathetic IMO.

So is the sexual harassment, rape, ruining of careers for not having sex with powerful men...but hey, that PC shit has to go!! NOW!!!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-14-18 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So is the is the sexual harassment, rape, ruining of careers for not having sex with powerful men...but hey, that PC shit has to go!! NOW!!!
Putting words in other people's mouth has to go too.
Old 09-14-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
Putting words in other people's mouth has to go too.
Hey, at least it's not a powerful man's dick to keep a job...
Old 09-14-18, 12:21 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm really concerned with this epidemic of female teachers raping their male students, but that doesn't really fit into the current narrative of "men are trash!"
Old 09-14-18, 01:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Except he wasn’t in a position of power because it had nothing to do with the work environment. And the article was literally called: “I went on a date with Aziz Ansari...”

If it were a PA on the show he created that he was constantly crossing the line with it would be a little different.
Power extends beyond the work environment. He’s a celebrity, she isn’t. I’m not saying it was equal to other types of sexual harassment discussed here, but it wasn’t simply “a bad date”.
Old 09-14-18, 01:33 PM

Power extends beyond the work environment. He’s a celebrity, she isn’t. I’m not saying it was equal to other types of sexual harassment discussed here, but it wasn’t simply “a bad date”.
What power did he have over her? He attempted to hook up with her. There was no harassment. Being a celebrity doesn't have anything to do with it.

The NYTimes article (written by a woman) that followed sums it up better than I can:

"To judge from social media reaction, they also see a flagrant abuse of power in this sexual encounter. Yes, Mr. Ansari is a wealthy celebrity with a Netflix show. But he had no actual power over the woman — professionally or otherwise. And lumping him in with the same movement that brought down men who ran movie studios and forced themselves on actresses, or the factory-floor supervisors who demanded sex from female workers, trivializes what #MeToo first stood for.

I’m sorry this woman had this experience. I too have had lousy romantic encounters, as has every adult woman I know. I have regretted these encounters, and not said anything at all. I have regretted them and said so, as she did. And I know I am lucky that these unpleasant moments were far from being anything approaching assault or rape, or even the worst night of my life."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/o...arassment.html

And that's only one of the many people who spoke out against that article.

Last edited by dex14; 09-14-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

As a celebrity, how exactly did Aziz Ansari have power of this particular woman?
Old 09-14-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How does anyone, yes, even a woman...deny the power of Celebrity in our society? How does one deny the worship we all have and will heap on them just because they are funny, do Geek Films, play sports, etc?
Old 09-14-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think many need to figure out what constitutes a MeToo. These Women aren't just fighting for women raped and/or job blocked on a "Harvey W level". It's a whole culture of Male Entitlement that puts women in these situations.

Official MeToo:
A, B, and C,

The other Version of MeToo that seems to be popular with some here:
Just A. Anything else is "just boys being boys" and she should just chalk it up to life experience...
Old 09-14-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Not Hollywood, directly, but...

John Jarratt (Mick Taylor in the Wolf Creek movies/series) has been charged with a rape, dating back to 1976. As a result, the S2 US release has been put on hold, as well as any work on S3. He's said he's willing to take a lie detector test to answer the allegation, but it's unlikely that he'll see trial until August 2019, at the earliest.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...29-p500j9.html
This ones a bit of a bummer. Big fan of the guy and the series.
I wonder what evidence they have after 40+ years
Old 09-14-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is the sexual harassment, rape, ruining of careers for not having sex with powerful men...but hey, that PC shit has to go!! NOW!!!
Give me a break. Violin playing for the bleeding hearts that compare jokes to rape ....
Old 09-14-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

How does anyone, yes, even a woman...deny the power of Celebrity in our society? How does one deny the worship we all have and will heap on them just because they are funny, do Geek Films, play sports, etc?
Speak for yourself. Not everyone heaps praise on any celebrity from Johnny-football-hero to the guy who played Ernest. Some of us have healthy relationships with the media we consume, and don't confuse our adoration with a movie or videogame with somehow meaning the creators are Gods.

It's why some people can enjoy Chinatown despite Roman Polanski being a pathetic, disgusting, criminal. I don't love him. I love the movie.

Any "power" Master of None had over this woman, is power she gave to him.
Old 09-14-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ran into two celebs down in Miami a few weeks ago. Kanye and Kim K. You know what I did? I walked in the other direction and ignored them.
Old 09-14-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I think many need to figure out what constitutes a MeToo. These Women aren't just fighting for women raped and/or job blocked on a "Harvey W level". It's a whole culture of Male Entitlement that puts women in these situations.

Official MeToo:
A, B, and C,

The other Version of MeToo that seems to be popular with some here:
Just A. Anything else is "just boys being boys" and she should just chalk it up to life experience...
So does the metoo movement mean that women are now supposed to ask men out on dates the majority of the time? We don’t want all these damn powerful, entitled men forcing women to say yes to a date.

I mean, where are we going to draw the line here?
Old 09-14-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So does the metoo movement mean that women are now supposed to ask men out on dates the majority of the time? We don’t want all these damn powerful, entitled men forcing women to say yes to a date.

I mean, where are we going to draw the line here?
That’s the definitely the kind of conversation we should be having. Perhaps some women could weigh in on what they want?
Old 09-14-18, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
As a celebrity, how exactly did Aziz Ansari have power of this particular woman?
And my question would be, how exactly is Aziz Ansari a celebrity? But then I haven't heard of half the people caught up in these scandals until I came to this thread. Like that podcast host married to the Hearst heiress. How is a podcast host a "celebrity"? Now Hearst was a celebrity and had genuine power over people. But that's another story from another era. He would have chewed up Harvey Weinstein and Les Moonves for breakfast and spit them out after lunch. He certainly helped derail Orson Welles' Hollywood career.

Now where were we? Oh yeah, Julie Chen's future dating plans...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.