Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 08-03-18, 10:41 AM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

So many cucks!
Old 08-03-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 439 Likes on 319 Posts

Wow, I haven't seen an Eddie Money post in a long time.
Old 08-03-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not a new accusation, just a video parodying the auditioning process for women in Hollywood with some big name actors and actresses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEdJ4PIGad4
Nice.
Old 08-03-18, 12:34 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I had to crawl out of my cave to comment on the cuckery
Old 08-03-18, 12:44 PM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Been busy:

<iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3WVvD_6w1YY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-03-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I honestly thinks it’s possible she’s being truthful and really didn’t want to hurt his career. I think she might’ve been naive enough to think by not mentioning his name that it wouldn’t affect his career. And I may be wrong but, wasn’t it her boyfriend that talked about evidence and lawyers? He might be the one that pushed her to do this.
Sure... which is why she just coincidentally timed it to come out as his new show was about to premiere.

This is Hollywood - EVERYTHING is calculated.
Old 08-09-18, 01:42 PM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

<iframe width="749" height="421" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YmnR96GFdfo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-09-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts

He seems genuinely apologetic. Or he is a really good actor.
Old 08-09-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,304 Likes on 2,118 Posts

That was a great interview from Affleck. It’s refreshing to see someone acknowledge that they fucked up and elaborate on their mistakes and how they’re working on making themselves better people instead of hearing “I’m sorry, I have a problem” and then checking themselves into rehab for two weeks.
Old 08-10-18, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Or he is a really good actor.

We're talking bout Casey Affleck here...
Old 08-10-18, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Not about Hollywood specifically, but I just watched the episode from a few weeks back of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and the main part was about harassment in the workplace, how we've been on this cycle before, and had a great but almost heartbreaking interview with Anita Hill and basically everything that happened with the Clarence Thomas hearings and how the nation vowed to do something about harassment... and yet here we are again.

Old 08-10-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

Old 08-10-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So even though the "accuser" tried to update her story to change the wording (which everyone caught and called out) and has since "moved forward" and isn't thinking about it anymore, this person still believes Chris is some monster and that she needs to leave?

Good luck finding a new job. Sounds to me like an effort to get her name 15min of twitter fame.
Old 08-10-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,057 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan

We're talking bout Casey Affleck here...
I thought the apology sounded sincere and remorseful.

FWIW

Old 08-10-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
I thought the apology sounded sincere and remorseful.

FWIW
He won that award for playing literally himself...a drunk prick from New England. I don't consider someone a good actor if they have zero range and can only play characters which have the same personalities as themselves.

Put him in a movie where he needs to have a French accent and works as a literature professor.
Old 08-10-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not about Hollywood specifically, but I just watched the episode from a few weeks back of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and the main part was about harassment in the workplace, how we've been on this cycle before, and had a great but almost heartbreaking interview with Anita Hill and basically everything that happened with the Clarence Thomas hearings and how the nation vowed to do something about harassment... and yet here we are again.
Gee, it's almost like harassment is an issue with individuals and we can stop its prevalence no more than we can successfully prevent suicide.
Old 08-10-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Gee, it's almost like harassment is an issue with individuals and we can stop its prevalence no more than we can successfully prevent suicide.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make or if you're being sarcastic or what. Are you saying we can do nothing about how we treat harassment as a society to further prevent it, it's just some rogue individuals who will do it no matter what?
Old 08-10-18, 03:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,210 Likes on 857 Posts

This is the worst take of the day. Congrats!
Old 08-10-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make or if you're being sarcastic or what. Are you saying we can do nothing about how we treat harassment as a society to further prevent it, it's just some rogue individuals who will do it no matter what?
No, I'm not saying that at all. We should definitely encourage people to speak up, and policies outlining harassment should be widely disseminated, but at the end of the day a person willing to sexually harass someone else likely isn't listening to any of that.

There will always be rogue individuals.
Old 08-10-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,077 Posts

No, I'm not saying that at all. We should definitely encourage people to speak up, and policies outlining harassment should be widely disseminated, but at the end of the day a person willing to sexually harass someone else likely isn't listening to any of that.

There will always be rogue individuals.
I think making the punishment harsher both legally and professionally will defer at least some would-be harassers, don’t you?

I mean we already have men saying “you can take even TALK to women anymore” and you just know those men actually mean that they can’t say shitty and harassing things to women anymore.
Old 08-10-18, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do, although the witch hunt and knee-jerk punishments to some instances is concerning. Employers are taking a scorched-earth approach in many cases.

I don't necessarily agree on the second point, though. I've seen examples of men saying completely innocuous things to women and they're immediately triggered and it becomes an issue on set, mostly with the younger generation. It's like many of these women have been conditioned to find something inappropriate in casual conversation, especially with the current climate in the industry.

Also, many of the women in Hollywood are just as bad or worse. Actresses can fuck for a role MUCH easier than men can and this whole #metoo movement has scared the guys so badly the girls can't even get the action they want/need.
Old 08-11-18, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

It seems not everyone working on Talking Dead was happy about Hardwick returning.

When Chris Hardwick returns to “Talking Dead” on Sunday, the AMC talk show will be down one executive producer and several other staffers who left as a result of the network’s decision to allow him back on the “Walking Dead” wrap-up show.

The female executive producer and a “handful” of the approximately 25 people who work on the talk show show left after Hardwick was reinstated last month, according to multiple individuals with knowledge of the situation. He was allowed to return after an investigation by AMC into accusations of sexual and emotional abuse.
According to one of the individuals, Hardwick gathered “Talking Dead” staffers in what was described as a “very emotional” meeting on Wednesday to apologize for the recent turmoil, and his demeanor was described as “apologetic and contrite.” The individual said Hardwick also invited crew members to one-on-one meetings to address any further concerns.
https://www.thewrap.com/talking-dead...-walking-dead/
Old 08-11-18, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I think making the punishment harsher both legally and professionally will defer at least some would-be harassers, don’t you?
But islandclaws was in response to fujishig:

how we've been on this cycle before, and had a great but almost heartbreaking interview with Anita Hill and basically everything that happened with the Clarence Thomas hearings and how the nation vowed to do something about harassment... and yet here we are again.
The laws are already strong for crimes such as rape. And yet Harvey Weinstein wasn't charged until 2018, after the New York Times and New Yorker did a report on it.
Prior to that, it was apparently an open secret in Hollywood that Harvey Weinstein was sexually harassing women or worse. Those who knew about it but weren't victims, didn't speak up until after Weinstein was exposed and kicked out of his own company. Some of them even continued to work directly with him.
Filipino-Italian model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez was sexually assaulted by Weinstein, and went to the police to press charges, and even wore a wire that captured Weinstein admitting he assaulted her and...nothing came of it.

So you have possible corruption in law enforcement, and then you have Hollywood players who look the other way because they profit from these predators. Those two things should be scrutinized as well.
Old 08-11-18, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't get it. I highly doubt that AMC, NBC and Nerdist will bring back Hardwick if they weren't 100% sure that Chris is innocent. Why are people still siding with Chloe?
Old 08-11-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Reading through some of the twitter comments, there's a lot of people quick to still bash Hardwick and voice their displeasure for the Nerdist (and anyone else still doing business with him).

Given all the conversation earlier about how the "system" or whatever works with Hardwick returning to work, this is kind of an example of how public perception can still be damaged because a lot of people in these situations hear the initial reports and tend to believe the accusers but hear very little of the followup defenses, additional supporters, or believe the apologies.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-11-18 at 10:05 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.