Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 07-27-18, 11:56 AM
  #2626  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,099
Received 1,911 Likes on 1,479 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

RIP, Julie Chen's career.
Old 07-27-18, 12:09 PM
  #2627  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,444
Received 897 Likes on 662 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Or, what she said happened... happened... and because we are approaching the Anti-MeToo stage of the pendulum swing we are now seeing victims who come out pilloried and accused of "attention seeking".
AMC hired a law firm with experience in these cases and they found no evidence to back up her story. Wouldn't they have talked to her lawyer who had that evidence they mentioned? Or are you saying the firm did a half-ass job and didn't actually look into it?
Old 07-27-18, 12:14 PM
  #2628  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,944
Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Or, what she said happened... happened... and because we are approaching the Anti-MeToo stage of the pendulum swing we are now seeing victims who come out pilloried and accused of "attention seeking".
While the pendulum swings back and forth in the court of public opinion, the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle. When the situation involves an ongoing relationship that ultimately ended, the line between participants in the relationship being hurtful vs. being genuinely abusive can sometimes be very gray and subject to perceptions complicated by other factors for all involved. I won't claim to be in a position to judge Dykstra's truthfulness or motivation, nor to judge Hardwick's guilt or innocence of the accusations. I will say it seems AMC handled this about as well as they could. Suspending Hardwick in order to investigate the claims and give the accuser a chance to provide AMC with what they would need to determine their future professional relationship with the accused is an appropriate response in light of the allegations that were made public. They did their due diligence and Hardwick's position is intact - that doesn't mean all of what Dykstra claimed is false, nor that all of it is true either.
Old 07-27-18, 12:20 PM
  #2629  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,228
Received 1,785 Likes on 1,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
AMC hired a law firm with experience in these cases and they found no evidence to back up her story. Wouldn't they have talked to her lawyer who had that evidence they mentioned? Or are you saying the firm did a half-ass job and didn't actually look into it?
I'm saying the system worked. Hardwick is back on TV. So stop shitting on this woman.
Old 07-27-18, 12:22 PM
  #2630  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,444
Received 897 Likes on 662 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm saying the system worked. Hardwick is back on TV. So stop shitting on this woman.
If she falsely accused someone of sexual and mental abuse for personal gain, she deserves shitting on.
Old 07-27-18, 12:23 PM
  #2631  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,228
Received 1,785 Likes on 1,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by kefrank
While the pendulum swings back and forth in the court of public opinion, the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle. When the situation involves an ongoing relationship that ultimately ended, the line between participants in the relationship being hurtful vs. being genuinely abusive can sometimes be very gray and subject to perceptions complicated by other factors for all involved. I won't claim to be in a position to judge Dykstra's truthfulness or motivation, nor to judge Hardwick's guilt or innocence of the accusations. I will say it seems AMC handled this about as well as they could. Suspending Hardwick in order to investigate the claims and give the accuser a chance to provide AMC with what they would need to determine their future professional relationship with the accused is an appropriate response in light of the allegations that were made public. They did their due diligence and Hardwick's position is intact - that doesn't mean all of what Dykstra claimed is false, nor that all of it is true either.
Exactly. They may not have found as someone said, "actionable offenses". But that doesn't mean that the couple didn't treat each other in abusive ways.
Old 07-27-18, 12:23 PM
  #2632  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,228
Received 1,785 Likes on 1,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
If she falsely accused someone of sexual and mental abuse for personal gain, she deserves shitting on.
If Hardwick was abusive to her, same goes for him..
Old 07-27-18, 12:25 PM
  #2633  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,308
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,022 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
If she falsely accused someone of sexual and mental abuse for personal gain, she deserves shitting on.
That's, of course, assuming you know why she did it.
Old 07-27-18, 12:26 PM
  #2634  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,444
Received 897 Likes on 662 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
If Hardwick was abusive to her, same goes for him..
So you're cool with anyone crying abuse/rape even if it's not true as long as it's sorted out in the end? No thanks. She said they have a lawyer. Doesn't seem to have a lawyer. She said they have evidence with the lawyer. Clearly that was a lie or it would be out now.

I view her no differently than the woman behind the Duke Lacrosse case.
Old 07-27-18, 12:27 PM
  #2635  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,444
Received 897 Likes on 662 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Draven
That's, of course, assuming you know why she did it.
Does the why matter if she made up claims of sexual abuse?
Old 07-27-18, 12:36 PM
  #2636  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44,972
Likes: 0
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,082 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Ed Westwick Avoids Rape Charges Due To “Insufficient Evidence”; L.A. D.A. Botches Release With Incorrect DOB & More
https://deadline.com/2018/07/ed-west...rk-1202435080/
Old 07-27-18, 12:39 PM
  #2637  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,228
Received 1,785 Likes on 1,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
Does the why matter if she made up claims of sexual abuse?
Does the why matter of why she wants this to go away? You say it's because she was lying about all of it. I'm saying... it is possible...she may not have been lying. But after the shit she got from everyone she decided she didn't want to deal with it. Legit victims do that sometimes. Doesn't mean what they said happened didn't happen. That is another aspect of the MeToo movement. Powerful people with the ability to make victims go away..

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-27-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 12:40 PM
  #2638  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,188
Received 1,186 Likes on 913 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by dex14
Ed Westwick Avoids Rape Charges Due To “Insufficient Evidence”; L.A. D.A. Botches Release With Incorrect DOB & More
https://deadline.com/2018/07/ed-west...rk-1202435080/

Here's hoping we get a second season of White Gold - the first season was one of the funniest and best shows on Netflix last year.
Old 07-27-18, 12:44 PM
  #2639  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,444
Received 897 Likes on 662 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Does the why matter of why she wants this to go away? You say it's because she was lying about all of it. I'm saying... it is possible...she may not have been lying. But after the shit she got hell from everyone she decided she didn't want to deal with it. Legit victims do that sometimes. Doesn't mean what they said happened didn't happen. That is another aspect of the MeToo movement. Powerful people with the ability to make victims go away..
Agree to disagree then. I'm confident the law firm hired by AMC did their due diligence and found nothing. Do you think AMC would risk putting him back on air if they also weren't confident? Don't forget, she claimed to have evidence of the abuse. Where'd it go? And why did she come out and say leave me alone only after AMC released their report that no evidence was found? Coincidence with the timing?

I get what you're saying but did any of Harvey's or Cosby's accusers decide they just wanted it to go away? No, they kept pushing until they were behind bars. You don't make something like this public without an agenda. If the claims are true, that agenda would be putting an abuser behind bars.
Old 07-27-18, 12:51 PM
  #2640  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,308
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,022 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
Does the why matter if she made up claims of sexual abuse?
There's no indication that she did. Just that AMC didn't feel whatever happened (as best they could determine) warranted a firing. Which is totally in their right too.

I get what you're saying but did any of Harvey's or Cosby's accusers decide they just wanted it to go away? No, they kept pushing until they were behind bars. You don't make something like this public without an agenda. If the claims are true, that agenda would be putting an abuser behind bars.
Maybe. Maybe not. You don't know why she posted what she did.
Old 07-27-18, 12:54 PM
  #2641  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,444
Received 897 Likes on 662 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Draven
There's no indication that she did. Just that AMC didn't feel whatever happened (as best they could determine) warranted a firing. Which is totally in their right too.
When she claims to have a lawyer and evidence and that turns out to be completely false, you have to put every other aspect of the story under scrutiny. If this were all true, why makes things more difficult by lying about having evidence and a hired lawyer?

Has any other person who's been accused of abuse like this ever been removed from their position then let back on? Honest question; I can't think of any. IMO for AMC to reverse and put him back on air, they must be confident nothing happened. Studios would always air on the side of caution and it's not like he's hard to replace on a late night talk show by any means. Maybe he threatened to sue over wrongful termination.
Old 07-27-18, 01:45 PM
  #2642  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,228
Received 1,785 Likes on 1,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
Agree to disagree then. I'm confident the law firm hired by AMC did their due diligence and found nothing. Do you think AMC would risk putting him back on air if they also weren't confident? Don't forget, she claimed to have evidence of the abuse. Where'd it go? And why did she come out and say leave me alone only after AMC released their report that no evidence was found? Coincidence with the timing?

I get what you're saying but did any of Harvey's or Cosby's accusers decide they just wanted it to go away? No, they kept pushing until they were behind bars. You don't make something like this public without an agenda. If the claims are true, that agenda would be putting an abuser behind bars.
I guess I just don't get how you're absolutely 100% sure she is lying.

All I'm saying is that there is a possibility she is telling the truth, that there is a possibility that both she and Hardwick were abusive to each other, and that there is a possibility AMC found something but didn't think it was enough to keep him off their airwaves.


Originally Posted by Draven
There's no indication that she did. Just that AMC didn't feel whatever happened (as best they could determine) warranted a firing. Which is totally in their right too.

Maybe. Maybe not. You don't know why she posted what she did.
This
Old 07-27-18, 02:05 PM
  #2643  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,308
Received 1,633 Likes on 1,022 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
When she claims to have a lawyer and evidence and that turns out to be completely false, you have to put every other aspect of the story under scrutiny. If this were all true, why makes things more difficult by lying about having evidence and a hired lawyer?
Are you saying you don't understand that sometimes people are accused of things but the evidence doesn't warrant action? Do you think that always automatically means nothing happened?

Has any other person who's been accused of abuse like this ever been removed from their position then let back on? Honest question; I can't think of any. IMO for AMC to reverse and put him back on air, they must be confident nothing happened. Studios would always air on the side of caution and it's not like he's hard to replace on a late night talk show by any means. Maybe he threatened to sue over wrongful termination.
Maybe this, maybe that. It's all speculation at this point. I'm not going with "she's a lying attention-seeker". Just like I'm not going with "he's a lying monster".
Old 07-27-18, 04:17 PM
  #2644  
DVD Talk Legend
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,821
Received 1,025 Likes on 724 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Regarding the evidence she claimed to have, it's possible that she mentioned that as a deterrent to being sued for defamation. I.e. she wanted to air this, and also make it known that she has evidence of it to avoid being sued. Did she state the purpose of the evidence, other than to say she had it?

I haven't read enough, nor do I know enough, about either of them to hazard a guess. Just speculating that it's possible she has the evidence but is now being truthful that she's had her say and is done with it.
Old 07-27-18, 06:28 PM
  #2645  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
actionjackson29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Posts: 1,257
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

I honestly thinks it’s possible she’s being truthful and really didn’t want to hurt his career. I think she might’ve been naive enough to think by not mentioning his name that it wouldn’t affect his career. And I may be wrong but, wasn’t it her boyfriend that talked about evidence and lawyers? He might be the one that pushed her to do this.
Old 07-28-18, 12:46 AM
  #2646  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Greg MacGuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Formerly known as "Jeffy Pop"/Denver
Posts: 3,038
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
Has any other person who's been accused of abuse like this ever been removed from their position then let back on? Honest question; I can't think of any. IMO for AMC to reverse and put him back on air, they must be confident nothing happened. Studios would always air on the side of caution and it's not like he's hard to replace on a late night talk show by any means. Maybe he threatened to sue over wrongful termination.
Or maybe he married into the Hearst family, who have a long, long history of throwing money at problems and burying scandals.
Old 07-28-18, 02:20 AM
  #2647  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,904
Received 951 Likes on 659 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm saying the system worked. Hardwick is back on TV. So stop shitting on this woman.
Noone actually involved in the situation is shitting on her. The women that have come to Hardwick's defense have stated very clearly that they were basing what they said on their own personal experience. Not to take anything away from her claims specifically but to paint a different picture of what they experienced with him.

Originally Posted by Noonan
Agree to disagree then. I'm confident the law firm hired by AMC did their due diligence and found nothing. Do you think AMC would risk putting him back on air if they also weren't confident? Don't forget, she claimed to have evidence of the abuse. Where'd it go? And why did she come out and say leave me alone only after AMC released their report that no evidence was found? Coincidence with the timing?

I get what you're saying but did any of Harvey's or Cosby's accusers decide they just wanted it to go away? No, they kept pushing until they were behind bars. You don't make something like this public without an agenda. If the claims are true, that agenda would be putting an abuser behind bars.
I agree. If there was evidence then she would have pushed even harder against him and brought the evidence to light. There HAS to be a distinction between a bad breakup (if that's what this is) and an actual sexual predator.
Old 08-01-18, 05:32 PM
  #2648  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 10,572
Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

So no charges were filed against Scott Baio now he says Nicole Eggert is harrassing his family and has filed a Police Report against her. https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...ignout#image=2
Old 08-01-18, 06:29 PM
  #2649  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,868
Received 2,712 Likes on 1,870 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Charles not charged.
Old 08-03-18, 09:34 AM
  #2650  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,099
Received 1,911 Likes on 1,479 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Not a new accusation, just a video parodying the auditioning process for women in Hollywood with some big name actors and actresses:


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.