Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 07-26-18, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

We only need to look at Kathy Griffin's reaction to this and the way she feels like AMC did wrong by bringing Hardwick back. I imagine thousands of people feel the same way towards Chris and his image and acceptance and work offers will certainly not be as flourishing as before these accusations.
Old 07-26-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 927 Posts

He's got his main gigs again. I think he'll keep The Wall. I'm assuming his wife is very supportive. So, mentally, he should be fine. He might have to look at himself closely and, maybe, treat people better professionally.
Old 07-26-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 266 Likes on 195 Posts

Hardwick also has "The Awesome Show" with Mark Burnett coming up on NBC.

Will they have to vet the Talking Dead audience to make sure there are no possible Hardwick protesters in the audience? I think they do the show live, right?
Old 07-26-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I have a hard time believing you can't put yourself in his shoes and understand the mental aspect to this. Being accused of something you didn't do which goes public can have a massive effect on someone. And even if he did nothing (which seems to be the case) that doesn't mean that everyone he sees on the street will believe it.
Naw, I get it. trust me i do. I worked with a man accused of touching his toddler daughter based on what some school nurse thought she saw on the girl's body. He was cleared. But he had to be out of his home while they investigated and even after he was cleared and returned home, it was hard not to wonder if he did. So yeah i do get it.
Old 07-26-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a hard time believing you can't put yourself in his shoes and understand the mental aspect to this. Being accused of something you didn't do which goes public can have a massive effect on someone. And even if he did nothing (which seems to be the case) that doesn't mean that everyone he sees on the street will believe it.
I could be wrong but to me it seems some on here as well as many others on social media who refuse to believe Chris isn't guilty of something so he gets what he deserves and have no sympathy for people who are accused without any proof and are seemingly cleared after extensive investigations from neutral 3rd parties.

I have no clue if he did do something beyond what he is alleged to have done but absent any sort of corroborating evidence we should be siding with the accused regardless of gender, sex, social status, or position of power. Thinking otherwise is what leads the police and the government being able to get away with abuses of power..."well he/she/they must have been guilty of something!"

As of this moment there is nothing to indicate there is any truth to any allegations against Chris. IF that changes then he should suffer any consequences accordingly. IF more comes out and proves he is guilty of something then fuck him.

Just my $0.02. YMMV
Old 07-26-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Naw, I get it. trust me i do. I worked with a man accused of touching his toddler daughter based on what some school nurse thought she saw on the girl's body. He was cleared. But he had to be out of his home while they investigated and even after he was cleared and returned home, it was hard not to wonder if he did. So yeah i do get it.
My wife and I were accused of beating our daughter by a daycare worker when she was little. She like me is red haired and very fair with very sensitive skin. So basically any irritation or bump will cause a big bruise or rash. She must have fallen at some point and due to the heat had a bruise on her inner leg as well as heat rash bumps on her inner thighs. Both of us to this day get them every time it is really hot or we go swimming especially in the ocean, to the point where it is painful to walk due to the raised bumps.

Anyway they saw this bruise and rash and accused us in front of everyone when we went to pick her up one day. We actually had to go to a doctor to prove there was no abuse and that it was simply a normal bruise and heat rash. But every time we went back there, people would stare at us and glare like we did something.

We ended up having to leave that daycare despite the convenience due to proximity to our home and the much increased cost to go to a different place. it fucking sucked and I still have anger more than 16 years later at the way they handled it and treated us as abusers and pieces of shit. As an abuse survivor which I have detailed on this site many times, I would NEVER do anything to hurt my children in any way and just the accusation makes my blood boil. Now my situation was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things and had no lasting effect on my family but imagine if those assholes had posted on social media about my daughter and called a press conference accusing my wife and I. Our lives would be ruined to this day even after we proved our innocence because people almost never even follow up enough to know if there is any truth to it nor believe it when it is proven false. Once accused always guilty in many people's eyes.

Last edited by Unclejosh; 07-26-18 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-26-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts

That’s a problem with media in this country. Everyone is quick to jump on these reports, news shows and websites are quick to run the story as “Breaking News” but they’re never principled enough to run a follow up report when someone’s name is cleared. By that time they’ve already moved on to the next explosive story. Honestly, how often do you see follow-up stories on the local news? I watch the news almost daily and I rarely see any follow-ups.

I think Richard Jewell is a prime example of this. The dude’s name was dragged through the mud for weeks on end with the media for the Atlanta Olympic Park bombing. By the time his name was cleared he was barely a blip on the radar to the media. He went to his death bed being considered a domestic terrorist by half the country.

Unfortunately, there are no laws in place to ensure the media correct their stories or apologize when they’re wrong. And that’s the professional media. With social media becoming as prominent as it has become all bets are off for this kind of thing.
Old 07-26-18, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would bet if you randomly asked people who was responsible for the Atlanta bombing a lot would still say Richard Jewell.
Old 07-26-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 361 Likes on 264 Posts

The thing that never made sense about Hardwick is there was never a second accuser and several exes had come forward in his defense. If anything as much as he was raked over the coals for this I'm glad to see that AMC took the matter seriously, made steps to properly investigate and then made corrections to put his career back on track when things seemed to be unfounded.

I used to really like his after shows but now that I cant stand TWD I've stopped watching his show long before this came out. I dont like Fear enough to bother with the show either so....
Old 07-26-18, 04:26 PM

Received 1,764 Likes on 1,044 Posts

I have no idea who the actual Atlanta bomber was. I absolutely recognize the name "Richard Jewell." I don't like that combo at all.
Old 07-26-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,575 Likes on 984 Posts

The problem, of course, is how many times the inverse was true - a woman made a true accusation and wasn't believed or flat-out ignored. Unfortunately, as we go for equilibrium, the pendulum will swing too far the other way from time to time.
Old 07-26-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I have no idea who the actual Atlanta bomber was. I absolutely recognize the name "Richard Jewell." I don't like that combo at all.
I don't remember his name, but he was a domestic terrorist who had also bombed gay bars and abortion clinics. He was caught several years later.
Old 07-26-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was Eric Rudolph which I didn't even know until i looked it up.

In all honesty out of context if someone asked me prior to reading this thread who Richard Jewell was I would say he bombed the Olympics. That is despite now remembering he was cleared. That is how imprinted these first allegations and impressions are on people's minds and belief systems. Many or even most people remember their first exposure to whatever the issue is and not the truth when it comes out later it seems.
Old 07-26-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I remember Rudolph because he was on the lam for many years for the abortion-clinic bombings (and didn't he shoot a couple of abortion doctors to death?). I don't remember that he was responsible for the Atlanta bombing.
Old 07-26-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Will they have to vet the Talking Dead audience to make sure there are no possible Hardwick protesters in the audience? I think they do the show live, right?
You rarely see the audience and there isn't much interaction as there used to be. It's live for the East Coast feed and could be edited IF something should occur. Plus they restrict what you can bring into the studio.
Old 07-26-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 413 Likes on 282 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 07-26-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 907 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
So the system WORKS. As said earlier, if they find nothing Chris will be ok. Apparently they feel they found nothing.
To a degree I agree with you and am glad with how AMC is handling the aftermath. However, in this particular case they should have never taken him off the show to begin with. With the allegations as loose and lacking evidence as it was they should have launched that investigation beforehand. It shouldn't have taken very long at all to show that at the very least they couldn't prove any of the things he was accused of. He wasn't a danger to others and this all happened a long time ago. I still think it's a slippery slope to judge people based on what they did in the past. Of course it's a case by case basis but in this case I think they hit him too hard and too fast.
Old 07-26-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Like what? Because in the case of Hardwick, it shows that the allegations couldn't be proven and Anzari's case, it was basically a case of the girl regretting giving Aziz a blowjob and having a bad date. He didn't rape her or forced her to do anything she didn't want to do.
Go back and read both accounts. Both provide very clear and specific accounts of older men inflicting emotional abuse on younger women. Just because neither was accused of rape doesn't make either guy OK.
Old 07-27-18, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Go back and read both accounts. Both provide very clear and specific accounts of older men inflicting emotional abuse on younger women. Just because neither was accused of rape doesn't make either guy OK.
So "emotional abuse" is now an actionable offense? If every woman who ever inflicted emotional abuse on a man (older or otherwise) were suddenly deemed unemployable, how many women would still have their jobs?
Old 07-27-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 838 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
"Now that we know my essay was mostly false, please leave me alone."
Old 07-27-18, 08:09 AM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

I really don't understand what she was trying to accomplish by doing this in a public forum. She didn't think it would hurt his career? Come on. I'm not fan of Hardwick, but what else did she expect to happen?
Old 07-27-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 838 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I really don't understand what she was trying to accomplish by doing this in a public forum. She didn't think it would hurt his career? Come on. I'm not fan of Hardwick, but what else did she expect to happen?
I'll go back to my earlier comments. She thought she was going to get attention and sympathy from the public, who largely had no idea who she was. Now everyone does except the attention she's getting isn't what she hoped for. So now she just wants it to go away.

Everyone who has actually been a victim of sexual abuse should shame her, IMO. This was nothing more than an attention grab via MeToo. Oh, and what about all the evidence they still have with their lawyer? Where'd all that go? Hell, where's the lawyer?

Last edited by Noonan; 07-27-18 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 12:28 PM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Leslie Moonves Accused of Sexual Misconduct in Ronan Farrow Exposť
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...edium=referral
Old 07-27-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I'll go back to my earlier comments. She thought she was going to get attention and sympathy from the public, who largely had no idea who she was. Now everyone does except the attention she's getting isn't what she hoped for. So now she just wants it to go away.

Everyone who has actually been a victim of sexual abuse should shame her, IMO. This was nothing more than an attention grab via MeToo. Oh, and what about all the evidence they still have with their lawyer? Where'd all that go? Hell, where's the lawyer?
Or, what she said happened... happened... and because we are approaching the Anti-MeToo stage of the pendulum swing we are now seeing victims who come out pilloried and accused of "attention seeking".
Old 07-27-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 303 Posts

Yeah, not a secret that Moonves is kind of an asshole who's so powerful, he just does what he wants.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.