Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-05-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein

Story is a bit long to post, but worth a read. Two victims were Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/u...legations.html

Could take a leave of absence to “deal with this issue head on"

And some more from Deadline:

The big question now is whether the board of directors at TWC will agree that a rehabilitation is the best course of action and if it is possible for one of Hollywood’s most storied film executives can continue in this capacity. The company has a library, and bustling movie and television divisions, and around 190 employees working for it. This more than the welfare of a bad boy executive and producer. The future of of a storied company, and all those employees is at stake here.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/harvey-w...rs-1202182675/

Popular Reply

02-17-21, 10:04 AM
Draven
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
We may disagree, but I am absolutely firm in my stance that he had the right --and in fact, the obligation-- to find out if she was going to be visibly pregnant when the show was in production.
I work in a business where a woman getting pregnant affects things in a major way. The last fucking thing I would EVER say as a boss is "are you going to keep it?" even though it has a huge impact on the day to day. I say "congratulations" and "let's figure out a plan together".

I cannot believe that shit is being defended in here.
Old 10-05-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

I wonder ... does EVERYONE in Hollywood teeter on these accusations?
Old 10-05-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,409 Likes on 905 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

Movie producers sure have come down in the world. Harry Cohn had a bedroom door in his office. Poor Harvey Weinstein had to have his casting couch in some hotel.
Old 10-05-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harvey Weinstein to Sue N.Y. Times, Says His Attorney

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...torney-1046170
Old 10-05-17, 04:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I never read Peter Biskinds book about Miramax titled Down and Dirty Pictures, but it has a reputation as being scathing. Did it uncover any of these accusations?
Old 10-05-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

“I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it. Though I’m trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go.”

-Harvey Weinstein

I remember Rose McGowan saying she was raped and immediately people thought it was Weinstein based on the details she mentioned. Now it comes out that he made all these settlements, Ashley Judd's comment, and his own statement.
Old 10-05-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Seems that way.

You figure these people have all this power, money, and on top of that, they probably live hedonistic lifestyles due to their money and celebrity so they keep pushing the envelope of what they can do. They also seem to live in a bubble, removed from what the average person deals with and maybe that plays apart in this.

I don't know much about Weinstein aside from him being a producer/studio executive, and that he's said to have a bullying attitude.
Old 10-05-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

This official statement doesn't help...

Old 10-05-17, 04:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What’s sad is I’m not surprised, not because of anything specific to Weinstein but just because this shit has become so common. It was probably common before but they were just better at hiding it and women didn’t feel they could speak out.
Old 10-05-17, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Josh Wheaton's ex-wife Kai Cole certainly
let loose over his
Old 10-05-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EinCB
This official statement doesn't help...

I can imagine if this dude came up in the 60 and 70s, and made flirty comments (nothing explicit or gross) in the 80s/90s to female colleagues and not realizing it wasn't appropriate. That'd still be bad, but I can understand citing the era and attitudes you grew up with.

But what he's accused of is way beyond that. And they're all by women who were working for him, so he's gotta be aware that he has leverage in those situations. After the first settlement, wouldn't he have realized he's doing something wrong?

And it seems like he mentioned going after the NRA to gain sympathy or do damage control.
Old 10-05-17, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

If movie producers aren't allowed to require women to sleep with them or give them naked massages, how are they still supposed to produce movies?

I thought LA was built on people having sex with producers to get ahead. That's not allowed now? What, are people going to have to get their jobs based on their acting talent? That seems weird.
Old 10-05-17, 07:34 PM
Banned

The last paragraph seems very Trump-like. He goes on and on about himself.
Old 10-05-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
If movie producers aren't allowed to require women to sleep with them or give them naked massages, how are they still supposed to produce movies?

I thought LA was built on people having sex with producers to get ahead. That's not allowed now? What, are people going to have to get their jobs based on their acting talent? That seems weird.
Well now it’s just a matter of time before we get a “Whatever happened to Olivia Munn?” thread.
Old 10-05-17, 08:22 PM
Banned

The banner ad at the bottom of this thread is "Kids Casting Calls". That Harvey is one clever fuck.
Old 10-05-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Well now it’s just a matter of time before we get a “Whatever happened to Olivia Munn?” thread.
Might be a while. She had 4 movies in 2016, this year she had the new Lego movie and next year she has The Predator, the next XMen movie and Oceans 12.
Old 10-06-17, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
And it seems like he mentioned going after the NRA to gain sympathy or do damage control.
I know this is not the political forum but with his ties and history as "a major - and high profile - Democratic donor" this may prove to be an interesting dance.
Old 10-06-17, 12:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The banner ad at the bottom of this thread is "Kids Casting Calls".
Dude, like 90% of the banner ads on this site are based on your own search/browsing history. Telling us this just makes you look creepy.
Old 10-06-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

That's like Hollywood's worst kept secret.

Also, it's sort of chronicled in this book:

Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film

https://www.amazon.com/Down-Dirty-Pi...dirty+pictures

Get the audiobook -- the Weinstein characterization is hilarious and sounds just like him.
Old 10-06-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The banner ad at the bottom of this thread is "Kids Casting Calls". That Harvey is one clever fuck.
I have an ad for Air New Zealand
Old 10-06-17, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan
Dude, like 90% of the banner ads on this site are based on your own search/browsing history. Telling us this just makes you look creepy.
I'd never seen it prior to this thread.
Old 10-06-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts

He allegedly asked Ashley Judd if she would like to watch him take a shower. Who wants to see that???
Old 10-06-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Report: The Weinstein Company Is Suspending Harvey Weinstein

The Weinstein Company is preparing to suspend Harvey Weinstein in the wake of decades of sexual-harassment allegations against the mogul coming to light Thursday, Variety reports. An official announcement is expected to come Friday evening.
http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/weins...weinstein.html
Old 10-06-17, 04:02 PM
Banned

Now the ad is for LA Area sitters. It definitely thinks I live in LA and have kids.
Old 10-06-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Off-Topic but still sort of related, 'Honest Trailers' Creator Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Abuse

Andy Signore, the creator of popular YouTube series Honest Trailers, is being accused of sexual abuse.

Two accusers, one who says she was a former intern for Signore, posted publicly on social media Friday that Signore used his position to prey on women.

Emma Bower wrote in a Twitter post that she chose to speak up now, in the wake of an investigation from The New York Times accusing producer and studio executive Harvey Weinstein of sexual abuse with actresses and employees. Weinstein issued an apology after the story broke and said he was taking a leave of absence.

Bower said when she worked as an intern for Signore, he made inappropriate comments about masturbating to photos of her, and then asked her to come over so he could do that in person. She said he tried to play it off as a joke.

Another woman, April Dawn, was a fan of the Screen Junkies show who met Signore at Chicago Comic Con in 2015. Screen Junkies flew her out to Los Angeles to appear on its Movie Fights YouTube series a few months later.

Dawn wrote that Signore tried to sexually assault her on multiple occasions. She claimed that she and two other women went to the company's HR department, but her complaints of alleged attempted sexual assault were not taken seriously. The Hollywood Reporter spoke to a friend of Dawn's, who was aware of the HR meeting at the time and details of her accusations.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-abuse-1046574

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.