Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 10-10-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,487 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

So if this is decades of abuse, what caused it to come out and be such a big deal now? I mean I'm glad this is out there, but this and Cosby just seems like odd timing considering how long both were going on before there was significant public outcry, plus how much of this is still going on but the people are still making enough money for the studios and are protected?

In both this and Cosby's case, they (or the rumors) were well known enough to have comedy bits about them. And then we have the James Woods/Amber Tamblyn stuff as well.

Last edited by fujishig; 10-10-17 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

Originally Posted by fujishig
So if this is decades of abuse, what caused it to come out and be such a big deal now? I mean I'm glad this is out there, but this and Cosby just seems like odd timing considering how long both were going on before there was significant public outcry, plus how much of this is still going on but the people are still making enough money for the studios to be protected?
Women feel safer to speak out about sexual abuse now that Trump is president.
Old 10-10-17, 10:49 AM

Received 4,553 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
What films did Asia Argento do for Miramax? Bourdain's already spoken out against Weinstein and those that knew... I'd imagine he's gonna flip his shit now.
Asia Argento, an actress born in Rome, played the role of a glamorous thief named Beatrice in the crime drama “B. Monkey,” which was released in the U.S. in 1999. The distributor was Miramax. In a series of long and often emotional interviews, Argento told me that Weinstein assaulted her while they worked together.
Old 10-10-17, 10:59 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

So if this is decades of abuse, what caused it to come out and be such a big deal now?
From the New Yorker article:
For more than twenty years, Weinstein has also been trailed by rumors of sexual harassment and assault. This has been an open secret to many in Hollywood and beyond, but previous attempts by many publications, including The New Yorker, to investigate and publish the story over the years fell short of the demands of journalistic evidence. Too few people were willing to speak, much less allow a reporter to use their names, and Weinstein and his associates used nondisclosure agreements, monetary payoffs, and legal threats to suppress these myriad stories.
Old 10-10-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, makes some sense, though the conspiracy theorist in me still suspects either someone high up finally stopped protecting him (I realize he's really high up as well).

One of the most shocking parts of the story to me was how Judd, to just get out of the room, jokingly(?) said he could touch her only after she got an Oscar in one of his movies. Geez.
Old 10-10-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the New Yorker piece Rosanna Arquette said that she turned Harvey's advances down in the early 90's & he used that to damage her career. & mentions that she got a part in Pulp Fiction because Tarantino insisted
Old 10-10-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did anyone else see the email this guy sent around to the Hollywood studio heads, begging for them to support him so he would just get "rehab"!

Supposedly one of the studio heads replied back and told him to go 'F' himself.
Old 10-10-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Found it:

My board is thinking of firing me. All I’m asking is let me take a leave of absence and get into heavy therapy and counseling whether it be in a facility or somewhere else. Allow me to resurrect myself with a second chance. A lot of the allegations are false, as you know, but given therapy and counseling as other people have done, I think I’d be able to get there. If you can, I need you to send a letter to my private Gmail. The letter would only go to the board and no one else. What the board is trying to do is not only wrong but might be illegal and would destroy the company. If you could write this letter backing me getting me the help and time away I need and also stating your opposition to the board firing me, It would help me a lot. I am desperate for your help. Just give me the time to get therapy. Do not let me get fired. If the industry supports me, that is all I need. With all due respect, I need the letter today.
Old 10-10-17, 12:09 PM

The recording of him is pathetic.
Old 10-10-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Allegedly, Matt Damon and Russell Crowe actively tried to cover up a damaging article about Harvey years ago. Damon in particular has been working my last nerve for the last couple of years with things he has said and done, so if true, it's revolting.
Old 10-10-17, 12:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Priorities...
Old 10-10-17, 12:44 PM

Floodgates are now wide open:

Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and Others Say Weinstein Harassed Them
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/u...weinstein.html
Old 10-10-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

new NYT story including stories from Gwyneth & Angelina
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/u...weinstein.html

It seems like Harvey's go to line was the Massage
Old 10-10-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

“We’re at a point in time when women need to send a clear message that this is over,” Ms. Paltrow said. “This way of treating women ends now.”
I mean, I get it, he could have ruined them in Hollywood for the rest of their lives, but to say they're taking a stand so it ends now strikes me as odd considering they're just piling on and didn't come forward (to my knowledge) themselves before this. Nor are they lighting a fire under other luminaries in the industry who either also participate in similar practices or defend those who do. I mean is it really just one or two bad seeds here, really?

Last edited by fujishig; 10-10-17 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, I get it, he could have ruined them in Hollywood for the rest of their lives, but to say they're taking a stand so it ends now strikes me as odd considering they're just piling on and didn't come forward (to my knowledge) themselves before this.
I know Judd & McGowan mentioned these stories in the past but didn't mention Harvey by name
Old 10-10-17, 01:06 PM

I mean, I get it, he could have ruined them in Hollywood for the rest of their lives, but to say they're taking a stand so it ends now strikes me as odd considering they're just piling on and didn't come forward (to my knowledge) themselves before this. Nor are they lighting a fire under other luminaries in the industry who either also participate in similar practices or defend those who do.
In 2000, Argento released “Scarlet Diva,” a movie that she wrote and directed. In the film, a heavyset producer corners the character of Anna, who is played by Argento, in a hotel room, asks her for a massage, and tries to assault her. After the movie came out, women began approaching Argento, saying that they recognized Weinstein’s behavior in the portrayal. “People would ask me about him because of the scene in the movie,” she said. Some recounted similar details to her: meetings and professional events moved to hotel rooms, bathrobes and massage requests, and, in one other case, forced oral sex.

Weinstein, according to Argento, saw the film after it was released in the U.S., and apparently recognized himself. “Ha, ha, very funny,” Argento remembered him saying to her. But he also said that he was “sorry for whatever happened.” The movie’s most significant departure from the real-life incident, Argento told me, was how the hotel-room scene ended. “In the movie I wrote,” she said, “I ran away.”
Old 10-10-17, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Allegedly, Matt Damon and Russell Crowe actively tried to cover up a damaging article about Harvey years ago. Damon in particular has been working my last nerve for the last couple of years with things he has said and done, so if true, it's revolting.
http://deadline.com/2017/10/matt-dam...ew-1202185574/
Old 10-10-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you read Sharon Waxman's article, it says only this about Crowe and Damon:

After intense pressure from Weinstein, which included having Matt Damon and Russell Crowe call me directly to vouch for Lombardo and unknown discussions well above my head at the Times, the story was gutted.
https://www.thewrap.com/media-enable...ew-york-times/

which is what Damon reiterated, he had a 30 second call with her just to vouch for Fabrizio Lombardo, who was the head of Miramax Italy and, it was alleged, whose role was to supply Weinstein with women. They didn't talk about the allegations (Damon claims he had no knowledge of what the article was about), Damon allegedly just vouched for Fabrizio that he had actual experience and that they worked together. Not sure about Crowe but on the surface it doesn't seem like they were covering for him.

Last edited by fujishig; 10-10-17 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 02:16 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Schrader comes off very dickish, sounding like films are more important than women who were victimized. But it is worth pointing out that, long before this sex harassment stuff, Harvey has been the enemy of foreign cinema. He shelved Through the Olive Trees. He recut The Double Life of Veronique. He recut The Legend of 1900. He recut so many films. I've despised him for decades.
Old 10-10-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Schrader sounds like some of you dvdtalk posters.

"Art over Women/Abuse/Rape/Molestation!"
Old 10-10-17, 02:31 PM

<iframe src="//cdnapisec.kaltura.com/p/591531/sp/59153100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/6740162/partner_id/591531?iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura_player_1413478522&entry_id=0_aagrnt4z" width="664" height="421" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozAllowFullScreen frameborder="0" style="width: 700; height: 394px;"></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 10-11-17 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Now everyone has an excuse to hate this man. First it was it was fans of Asian Cinema fans as he cut a lot of Jackie Chan & Jet Li movies to shreds (Harvey Scissorhands) & those that hated how he seemingly bought Best Pictures for Shakespeare in Love & the Artist
Originally Posted by Dan
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Schrader sounds like some of you dvdtalk posters.

"Art over Women/Abuse/Rape/Molestation!"
Old 10-10-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Ben Affleck
3 hrs ·

I am saddened and angry that a man who I worked with used his position of power to intimidate, sexually harass and manipulate many women over decades. The additional allegations of assault that I read this morning made me sick. This is completely unacceptable, and I find myself asking what I can do to make sure this doesn’t happen to others. We need to do better at protecting our sisters, friends, co-workers and daughters. We must support those who come forward, condemn this type of behavior when we see it and help ensure there are more women in positions of power.
Old 10-10-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Man, I'm reading this stuff and it's blowing my mind. What a fucking creep and how sad/shocking/depressing that he could do this for so.many.years and still be the most important man in Hollywood. He really did think he was Jack Warner 2.0 and nobody would care.

And Harvey, if you really wanted to jerk off to Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd, why didn't you just rent Norma Jean & Marilyn like the rest of us did?
Old 10-10-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I wonder if they’ll rename the company. It would seem silly to fire a guy to distance yourself from him, but keep his name on everything you do.
They'll probably go back to the name "Miramax" which I think was named after the first-names of Bob and Harvey's parents.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.