Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 10-11-17, 09:21 AM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

Uh oh Ben...

Hilarie Burton Remembers When Ben Affleck Groped Her: ‘I Had to Laugh So I Wouldn’t Cry’
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/hil...rl-1201886025/
Old 10-11-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

Originally Posted by kd5
If I'm not mistaken, this was always portrayed as being common behaviour of movie/TV/music executives, I'd be surprised if this isn't just the tip of the iceberg and the prelude of things to come. And when all is said and done, where does that leave the state of the industry? With new leadership at the very least. Let's just hope the industry survives because without it new movies (and we) will suffer.
I asked that question a few posts from the top.

I wonder how deep this goes. The aggressive, sexual-assault nature of things, that is. There's nothing abnormal about professionals casually hooking up. If he wasn't so aggressive and gross about it all, he could have consensually had any woman he wanted. Looks aren't everything - especially when you have money to provide and power to make things happen.

So that's to say that I doubt all mingling movie executives are guilty in the way that Harvey is. There's nothing illegal about consensually sleeping around.
Old 10-11-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Tarantino has been suspiciously silent. Haven't all of his movies been released by Miramax/TWC?
I really wouldn't be surprised if Tarantino not only knew about Weinstein, but also used some of his power/fame to put women in similar situations. He just seems really creepy and "rapey". He's probably clean, but like I said - it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 10-11-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I think the really sad thing here is not the women that rejected his advances as awful as that is but the fact he would not continue the behavior unless a lot of the women felt compelled to give in but will not come forward because of how it would make them appear. What a pathetic scumbag
Old 10-11-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Ya'll know Tarantino was out there sucking toes like

Old 10-11-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Tarantino has been suspiciously silent. Haven't all of his movies been released by Miramax/TWC?
No fucking way Tarantino didn't know. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled some of the same shit.
Old 10-11-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the Harry Knowles thing got the ball rolling. I think you'll see a bunch more reports against anyone who was handsy, pervy since a lot of that is an open secret but gets swept under the rug.
Old 10-11-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
I think the Harry Knowles thing got the ball rolling. I think you'll see a bunch more reports against anyone who was handsy, pervy since a lot of that is an open secret but gets swept under the rug.
I hope Bryan Singer is next. There are some scary stories about him.
Old 10-11-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

what people said of Singer?
Old 10-11-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

I hope Bryan Singer is next. There are some scary stories about him.
Someone blew the whistle on Singer just before DOFP, but I think it was settled. There's a crap ton of rumors, stories, etc out on the web about a lot of celebrities in regards to this subject matter. Who knows what's really true or not.

I do wonder if this was some type of calculated move to remove Weinstein from his company or he just finally pissed off the wrong fucking people. Just seems odd that in a matter days the story hits and then snowballs afterwards. This shit has been going on for years and was pretty much kept in Hollywood's G-14 classified file.

..but hell.... crap like this goes on in various industries (not just film).

Sexual favors for career advancement.... that's been in the workplace forever.
Old 10-11-17, 10:25 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Oh man...
Old 10-11-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
Oh man...
I don't think they were men.
Old 10-11-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
Here's the locked thread...

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...legations.html
Old 10-11-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I really wouldn't be surprised if Tarantino not only knew about Weinstein, but also used some of his power/fame to put women in similar situations. He just seems really creepy and "rapey". He's probably clean, but like I said - it wouldn't surprise me.
I think it's a job problem for Tatantino. He's not exactly the studio system's favorite person and Weinstein let him work.

Did anyone else read Heather Graham's statement yet? She basically said Weinstein called her in, told her his wife was out of town, and that he had some roles she would 'potentially' be good for. She passed completely.
Old 10-11-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The interesting thing is how it was Ronan Farrow who broke this story, being the son of Woody Allen (and obviously the biological son of Frank Sinatra), two men who typify the old school men of power thing that got away with all sorts of gross shit back in the day.
Old 10-11-17, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

Tarantino has been suspiciously silent.
Taratino doesn't use social media. Tho I imagine a lot of the press is trying to contact him for a statement.
Old 10-11-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Uh oh Ben...

Hilarie Burton Remembers When Ben Affleck Groped Her: ‘I Had to Laugh So I Wouldn’t Cry’
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/hil...rl-1201886025/
Eh, he was definitely a douche, but that's a whole different league than the Weinstein stuff.

I'm curious about who has the cajones to grab a handful of Crews.
Old 10-11-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Taratino doesn't use social media. Tho I imagine a lot of the press is trying to contact him for a statement.
Neither does Meryl Streep, and she was first out of the block with a statement. The Guardian has contacted him for a response and so far, nothing.
Old 10-11-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I guess Tarantino takes as long with drafting statements as he does making movies.
Old 10-11-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does it matter? they gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation at the Oscars for the Piano. Movie Stars are confused
Old 10-11-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
what does it matter? they gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation at the Oscars for the Piano. Movie Stars are confused
Maybe he gets a pass because of the Tate/Manson thing.
Old 10-11-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Maybe he gets a pass because of the Tate/Manson thing.
Not to mention Polanski's accuser had forgiven him (not that it excuses him, it's just not as bad as Weistein's shit).
Old 10-11-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
This line of thinking is a reversal but is also sexist and degrading.

It serves to cast suspicion on actresses (like a G Paltrow) who had many successes with Mirimax, that they owe their career to "slutty" behavior
Originally Posted by brayzie
Yeah. Why say that shit for? If you're not going to name names, why bring it up? Respect their privacy, because all this is doing is getting the public thinking about it more and, like you said, casting suspicion on ALL the actresses that worked with Weinstein.
Bullshit. I'll give both of you a pass that CONTEXT may be confusing since you didn't hear the whole convo the hosts were having about how fucked up Weinstein is based on their working in the business for years.

The comment in no way cast doubt on any particular actresses, and where the fuck did you get it was about G Paltrow? She didn't name names and that was how it should have been handled.

YOU both took the comment and ran with it. You added names where there were none.
Old 10-11-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
And Meryl Streep was the first to stand
Old 10-11-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So I guess Tarantino takes as long with drafting statements as he does making movies.
Then I guess we can expect his statement to mostly contain homages to other people's statements.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.