Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 10-10-17, 07:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

Easy way out. I hope not.
Old 10-10-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 144 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

The happiest person on the planet right now has to be Harry Knowles.
Old 10-10-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Good. She is way too good looking to fuck around on.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Harvey offs himself at this point. Found dead in his bath robe.
Yeah this one of the most dramatic falls from grace I've ever seen.
Old 10-10-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Rose McGowan (Ben Affleck's co-star in Miramax's movie Phantoms) has replied to his statement with a terse and simple "Ben Affleck fuck off". He's lying if he says he never knew.
He definitely knew, and McGowan's basically called him out on it.

I'm sure a lot more Hollywood stars with actual power and influence knew, and chose not to do anything.

Hopefully this breaks open all the other abuses that's happened... especially the Hollywood pedophile ring that seems even more likely now.
Old 10-10-17, 08:16 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

I'm sure a lot more Hollywood stars with actual power and influence knew, and chose not to do anything.
One of the reasons I know how much of a blowhard, asshole, pig Harvey is comes from seeing Affleck doing impressions of him.

Besides the ridiculously accurate Entourage ribbing.
Old 10-10-17, 08:30 PM

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 10-10-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
So if this is decades of abuse, what caused it to come out and be such a big deal now?
Yeah, it's kind of weird how this is happening now.

I would guess that, probably 99% of the population has no idea who Harvey Weinstein is. Unless you're a movie nerd, most people have probably never heard his name, as he's a behind-the-scenes power player.

Can't say this surprises me. Being a movie nerd, I've always gotten tne impression that he's kind of an asshole, and was a creep to women.

As far as who knew, I'd say that the stuff coming out isn't news to 90% of Hollywood. I'm sure that people in the industry gossip like a bunch of old ladies, and everyone has heard most of this for years. But they're going to keep the wagons circled because Weinstein is (was) powerful enough to make and destroy careers.
Old 10-10-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

So it had to be people really high up either ticked off by him or sick of his shenanigans.

I knew Lindsey Lohan was a little nuts, but now she's defending Weinstein and asking his wife to reconsider:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/li...op-1202586659/
Old 10-10-17, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, it's kind of weird how this is happening now.

I would guess that, probably 99% of the population has no idea who Harvey Weinstein is. Unless you're a movie nerd, most people have probably never heard his name, as he's a behind-the-scenes power player.
the only reason i'd disagree is that his name does pop up at every award show in the actors thanking the producers who helped get it made, or the ribbing the hosts do because his movies always win awards (or used to)
Old 10-10-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
These people live in a different world than we do. With money and power they are used to people kissing their ass all the time. Eventually they are corrupted by all that power. Women don't have to put up with it, but they shouldn't be surprised by it either.
This is probably very typical of a lot of ambitious, driven, powerful men. People like Harvey Weinstein didn't achieve their power and prominence by being nice, respectful guys.

The mindset that makes them very successful in business can be the very same mindset that makes them manipulative, deceptive, amoral and otherwise unpleasant people to be around.

Ultimately this guy made a lot of careers and a lot of money for many people. This is a big reason why we're only hearing about this publicly now.

I don't think this behavior is even exclusively a male thing either. Look at the bullying and emotional abuse successful women like Anna Wintour (VOGUE editor) reportedly dish-out to the people around her.
Old 10-11-17, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Rose McGowan (Ben Affleck's co-star in Miramax's movie Phantoms) has replied to his statement with a terse and simple "Ben Affleck fuck off". He's lying if he says he never knew.
Yup.

Basically, when McGowan told Affleck that Weinstein raped her, his response to her was "GODDAMNIT! I TOLD HIM TO STOP DOING THAT”

This includes McGowan’s response to an official statement issued by Affleck’s Facebook page, in which the Good Will Hunting actor said he was “saddened and angry that a man who I worked with used his position of power to intimidate, sexually harass and manipulate many women over decades.” Calling the “additional allegations” against Weinstein “completely unacceptable,” Affleck said we “need to do better at protecting our sisters, friends, co-workers and daughters… support those who come forward, condemn this type of behavior when we see it and help ensure there are more women in positions of power.”

As righteous as Affleck’s comments appear, however, McGowan said he wasn’t being entirely honest. According to her tweet, the actor allegedly exclaimed, “GODDAMNIT! I TOLD HIM TO STOP DOING THAT” when she told him what had happened at a press conference they both attended. “[Y]ou said that to my face. The press conf I was made to go to after assault,” she concluded. “You lie.”
Why are most dudes in positions of power such giant pieces of shit?
Old 10-11-17, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

Hopefully this breaks open all the other abuses that's happened... especially the Hollywood pedophile ring that seems even more likely now.

Maybe we'll finally find out who passed around the Coreys.
Old 10-11-17, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 395 Likes on 264 Posts

This shit is bananas. I feel terrible for the actresses who didn't say no. Who either with eyes wide open said yes or who went along with it because they were terrified. They must be sitting at home scared to death right now that their names might come out. If it comes out that an actress slept with Harvey and it advanced their career, I dunno, people are cruel, that could be a career ender.

Also, can you imagine if this takes down Matt Damon and Ben Affleck? Who knows what else is going to come out. Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith have been radio silent.

This shit is going to get worse before it gets better. I feel like Harvey Weinstein isn't the only person thats gonna fall.
Old 10-11-17, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Terry Crews details alleged sexual assault by ‘high level’ Hollywood exec

“This whole thing with Harvey Weinstein is giving me PTSD. Why? Because this kind of thing happened to ME…” Crews tweeted Tuesday. “My wife n I were at a Hollywood function last year n a high level Hollywood executive came over 2 me and groped my privates.”

Crews continued, “Jumping back I said What are you doing?! My wife saw everything n we looked at him like he was crazy. He just grinned like a jerk.”

The “Expendables” star said he didn’t “kick his ass” because he thought of how the media would spin the story.

Full Story here
Damn Hollywood is a prostitution ring!
Old 10-11-17, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
This shit is bananas. I feel terrible for the actresses who didn't say no. Who either with eyes wide open said yes or who went along with it because they were terrified. They must be sitting at home scared to death right now that their names might come out. If it comes out that an actress slept with Harvey and it advanced their career, I dunno, people are cruel, that could be a career ender.

Also, can you imagine if this takes down Matt Damon and Ben Affleck? Who knows what else is going to come out. Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith have been radio silent.

This shit is going to get worse before it gets better. I feel like Harvey Weinstein isn't the only person thats gonna fall.
Smith has not been silent.
Old 10-11-17, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes

Smith has not been radio silent. http://deadline.com/2017/10/harvey-w...ut-1202184977/
Old 10-11-17, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tarantino has been suspiciously silent. Haven't all of his movies been released by Miramax/TWC?

Matt Damon & Ben Affleck are A-list assholes for protecting Casey Affleck from his sexual assaults, so anything they say is bullshit.

Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow have also confirmed he sexually harassed them too. He is done.
Old 10-11-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That attitude is part of the problem.
Exactly. Obviously McGowan was on to something.
Old 10-11-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Knowing what we do now that scene is horrifying
Old 10-11-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts

Turned on the radio this AM and they were playing a recording of (who I'm assuming is) an actress detailing his creepiness. Anyone know who that might have been? I couldn't place the voice but until now I have only read reports; first time I've heard someone speak up.
Old 10-11-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Turned on the radio this AM and they were playing a recording of (who I'm assuming is) an actress detailing his creepiness. Anyone know who that might have been? I couldn't place the voice but until now I have only read reports; first time I've heard someone speak up.
Unless someone else heard that how could any of us know? There have been 20 or so woman to come forward
Old 10-11-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts

I know but have they all gave public talks with detail of what he did? I guess if there have been multiples of those, then there would be no way to know.
Old 10-11-17, 09:05 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 249 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, this was always portrayed as being common behaviour of movie/TV/music executives, I'd be surprised if this isn't just the tip of the iceberg and the prelude of things to come. And when all is said and done, where does that leave the state of the industry? With new leadership at the very least. Let's just hope the industry survives because without it new movies (and we) will suffer.
Old 10-11-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

One of the reasons I know how much of a blowhard, asshole, pig Harvey is comes from seeing Affleck doing impressions of him.

Besides the ridiculously accurate Entourage ribbing.
Affleck is also the one that tried to stop a report that showed his ancestors were slave owners when he was doing that show were celebrities find their roots
Old 10-11-17, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan
I know but have they all gave public talks with detail of what he did? I guess if there have been multiples of those, then there would be no way to know.
I posted a video a few pages back of the press conference I think you are referring to.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.