Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

Yea, Tarantino knew... he's not fooling anyone.

And based on Léa Seydoux's comment, it sounds like Tarantino was the director who harassed her as well.
Old 10-13-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein (New York Times

we heard of all the women that actually escaped or said no to his many advances, but imagine how many actually gave in to him
Old 10-13-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
As for those wondering why the victims didn't come out earlier, come back to us after you've been sexually harassed or raped and let us know how easy it was to report it.
Is that a threat?
Old 10-13-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

This whole thing is souring me on movies, and kinda making me not want to watch any for a while.
Even Hitchcock stuff, what with Tippi Hedren's experiences.
Old 10-13-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
we heard of all the women that actually escaped or said no to his many advances, but imagine how many actually gave in to him
And I'm sure there are some who had absolutely no issues "giving in" to Weinstein to get a big career boost - and that goes for actors and actresses in their dealings with all sorts of Hollywood execs, directors, etc. as well.
Old 10-13-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Emma Thompson: Harvey Weinstein Is Not a Sex Addict, "He's a Predator"

Long article, but this stood out:

Thompson also admitted that she was persuaded by director Mike Nichols to sign a petition in support of Roman Polanski against his extradition, until she was called on it by women who brought his rape accusations to her attention. "I had been wrong. I had been bamboozled not only by Mike's influence over me but also by my respect for his art," she said. Her fear is that people will only remember the names of these men, including Weinstein's, and not say, "What we need to do is change this."

Adding her name to the growing voices, she said, "Hollywood can and must change."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...edator-1048505
Old 10-13-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Is that a threat?
It's a reality for far too many people. My friend was raped by a former colleague and it's a horrifying and long-lasting attack that I wouldn't wish on anyone. The mental effects are devastating, and I applaud anyone who has the strength to come out and report their crime, whether it be the next day or 20 years later.
Old 10-13-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So of course Oliver Stone is defending Weinstein and also gets a claim of sexual harassment against him!
Don't like hearing that yet another person was assaulted but I still hope we keep getting these demons outed.
Burn Hollywood, burn!
Maybe we can salvage something from the ashes.
Old 10-13-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I read that Oliver backed out of his Guantanamo film series amidst the allegations. He posted on FB last night that he pulled the project, because it was set up at The Weinstein Company.
Old 10-13-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I wonder that as well. How many are out there that are now a listers, at least partially due to Harvey's influence? I wouldnt be surprised if we saw several more of the more powerful hollywood types accused before too long.
Old 10-13-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I read that Oliver backed out of his Guantanamo film series amidst the allegations. He posted on FB last night that he pulled the project, because it was set up at The Weinstein Company.
He's trying to save face - pretty much everything from Weinstein Co is dead, regardless of someone pulling out or not.
Old 10-13-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

maybe if they changed names they can get projects again...
Old 10-13-17, 03:36 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Any suggestions for who should/would/could buy out TWC?

Imagine if Universal bought out TWC's IPs, and then sometime later were able to buy out Miramax. Then they would own all of Kevin Smith's Askewniverse films, LOL.

Maybe Lionsgate would be interested?
Old 10-13-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Maybe Amazon Studios? Could they pull it off?
Old 10-14-17, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a bit out of the loop, the Rose McGowan Twitter thing, I have read here and on Reddit that she was suspended because she posted a personal phone number, but the media and she is saying because she was speaking out. Which is true? Just trying to get the correct info. Thanks
Old 10-14-17, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGuy
I am a bit out of the loop, the Rose McGowan Twitter thing, I have read here and on Reddit that she was suspended because she posted a personal phone number, but the media and she is saying because she was speaking out. Which is true? Just trying to get the correct info. Thanks
She was suspended for saying she likes the DCU.
Old 10-14-17, 06:49 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

EXCLUSIVE ANGIE EVERHART
HARVEY WEINSTEIN MASTURBATED IN FRONT OF ME... AND EVERYONE KNEW
http://m.tmz.com/#!article/2017/10/1...turbate-yacht/
Old 10-14-17, 07:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGuy
It's because she posted a screencap or something with someone's phone number. That's a fact.

BUT, there are hundreds of people that do this every day, unfortunately. There was one in particular (the name escapes me, but I think it was another 'verified' user) who did it, and got retweeted hundreds of times, and reported, yet never got suspended (and, if I'm not mistaken, didn't even have to delete the tweet... at least until this Rose McGowan thing came up)

So people are saying Twitter is applying their "don't post other peoples personal information like phone numbers" rule very selectively.
Old 10-14-17, 07:42 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
It's because she posted a screencap or something with someone's phone number. That's a fact.

BUT, there are hundreds of people that do this every day, unfortunately. There was one in particular (the name escapes me, but I think it was another 'verified' user) who did it, and got retweeted hundreds of times, and reported, yet never got suspended (and, if I'm not mistaken, didn't even have to delete the tweet... at least until this Rose McGowan thing came up)

So people are saying Twitter is applying their "don't post other peoples personal information like phone numbers" rule very selectively.
Believe our current president did it as well... with no penalty.
Old 10-14-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Even if she did post a phone number, I cannot believe someone at Twitter didn’t go “don’t fucking suspend her today!”. It’s a PR nightmare for them.
Old 10-14-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
He's trying to save face - pretty much everything from Weinstein Co is dead, regardless of someone pulling out or not.
Time for a corporate identity change. Might as well just embrace it. Victor Salva, Roman Polanski, (etc.?), can come in and scoop up those production dollars. Does Bill Cosby have anything in the works? It's greenlit!
Old 10-14-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan

Got it, thank you.
Old 10-14-17, 02:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Even if she did post a phone number, I cannot believe someone at Twitter didn’t go “don’t fucking suspend her today!”. It’s a PR nightmare for them.
She was suspended for like 6 hours or something. She shouldn't be posting phone numbers.
Old 10-14-17, 02:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

A thought I've been having is how important "goodwill" can be. Harvey has zero goodwill. He's been such dick to everyone for so long that he's got no one to stand with him. Even his wife bolted. She wouldn't even stand with him for 48 hours! That really speaks to the guy's character. He hasn't got a friend in the world.

Polanski's crime keeps coming up, and his crime is reprehensible, but to his credit there were and still are people willing to stand with the guy.
Old 10-14-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So many other men in power have done the same thing...how Clinton ever became Pres I do not know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.