Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chuck Low dies at 89 (Goodfellas)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Chuck Low Dies: ‘Goodfellas’ Actor Was 89

Low, a New York City native, became friends with De Niro during the 1970s when he worked as a real estate developer in NYC’s Tribeca neighborhood and De Niro was one of his tenants. Their friendship resulted in Low’s first screen appearance in The King of Comedy, playing a man in a Chinese restaurant who mocks De Niro’s character.

He went on to play other roles including Shlomo Teittleman in The Sopranos. His other credits included The Mission, Once Upon A Time in America and others, but he is best remembered for his role as Morrie in Martin Scorsese’s Goodfellas. Low shared several scenes with De Niro, including one where he’s choked by De Niro’s character with a phone cord. You can watch the clip below.

Before he segued to acting, Low spent 30 years as a U.S. Army Reserve and eight years in the National Guard.

Man I was just watching the scene where he was asking the fellas "they got danish there?" then he got wacked with an ice pick in the back of the head.

RIP
Old 10-03-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: Chuck Low dies at 89 (Goodfellas)

He also had a small part in King of Comedy as the guy in the restaurant making fun of Rupert behind his back.
Old 10-04-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

RIP. He was one of my many fave parts of Goodfellas in his small role. Frank Vincent now Chuck Low...it's like Death is pullin' a "Jimmy Conway" after the Lufthansa heist.

Side note: always wondered how did Karen knew to reach them there.
Old 10-05-17, 08:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

In Goodfellas isn't he the guy who shows up to the bar with his wife in a big white fur? And Deniro says, "Take at all back!"
Old 10-05-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
In Goodfellas isn't he the guy who shows up to the bar with his wife in a big white fur? And Deniro says, "Take at all back!"
Nah that's Frankie Carbone played by Frank Sivero

The one pestering Jimmy in the vid clip is Chuck Low aka Morrie
Old 10-06-17, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

When we see that hairpiece commercial in GOODFELLAS, featuring Maurie (Chuck Low), I remembered seeing that commercial, which ran on local NYC commercial stations in either the late '70s or early '80s (or both) and I could have sworn it was real and that the actor from that commercial was indeed the same actor playing Maurie. But I've never been able to confirm this.