Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
25.58%
38.37%
18.60%
8.14%
3.49%
2.33%
3.49%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-17, 10:16 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Blade Runner 2049" (Starring: Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling, Jared Leto, Dave Bautista, Robin Wright)

Release Date:
10/06/17

Rating:
R (for violence, some sexuality, nudity and language.)

Running Time:
163m. (2h. 43m.)

Budget:
$185 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what's left of society into chaos. K's discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years. Written by Warner Bros. Pictures

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.7 (2,127 votes as of 10/05/17)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:107 Rotten:7 (94% as of 10/05/17)

Metacritic:
82 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 10/05/17)

Trailer:

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-05-17 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-05-17, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Release day bump.
Old 10-05-17, 07:57 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E6eRA8PnuW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-05-17, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

I can't tell what face/rating that is. Entranced pre-laxative?

Currently at 94% on Rottentomatoes with 113 reviews (106 positive, 7 negative) and an 8.4/10.0 average.
Old 10-05-17, 09:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dug it. A visual wonder. I had no trouble with the pacing. Plenty to contemplate. Not as good as the original at this time, need to give it time to settle in though. I'll drive down to Atlanta to see it in Dolby next week.

Spoiler:
Who would've thought I would feel bad for something the size of an old memory stick.
Old 10-05-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A fabulous movie from beginning to end. Wow!
Old 10-05-17, 10:14 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Saw it tonight at a Dolby Cinema. If you think you’re going to be dozing off (took a nap before going out tonight), don’t worry, the seats rumbling from the soundtrack should keep you awake. I personally loved the effect, but it’s not for everyone.

Really liked it as well. Did it have to be as long as it was? Probably not, but I enjoyed the lingering shots so much I didn’t care. As a follow-up to the original, I don’t think it quite makes the cut on some aspects, but in others it seemed to be different enough while keeping with the mood of the original quite well. Thought the plot unfolded pretty decently, but left plenty of questions for all the answers we’re given. Standout character for me was Joi, pretty much loved every second Ana de Armas was on screen. Not sure how I felt about Ford’s performance, but it didn’t feel goofy like some of his reprisals have come off in the last few years.

The film score wasn’t blaring, but the rumbling effect is no joke. I really felt like I was on a rocket ship quite a number of times.
Old 10-05-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Motherfucking Masterpiece.

Goddamn.....I could have sat there for another 3 hours.

Will see it again.

Villeneuve should direct the live action Akira.
Old 10-05-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 513 Likes on 322 Posts

5/5 and probably in my top 10 of all time now. Sorry whatever got bumped.

The Final Cut is my favorite film of all time and this was a worthy followup. Leto was tolerable and the score wasn't the train wreck I have come to expect from Zimmer. It actually reminded me of it you took the Dark Knight Rises soundtrack and put Vangelis Blade Runner on top of it. Going to go back tomorrow.
Old 10-05-17, 10:50 PM
Banned

I have just come back from seeing this and you know what? I don't even know what to say or think right now. This movie turned my brain into scrambled eggs.

The best thing I can say about it right now, this very moment, is that it is a stunning and WORTHY companion-piece to the first film. It is its own thing, but the two gel incredibly.

Not without flaws but immediately my Best Film of 2017.

It is going to be fun talking about this one.

--
Old 10-05-17, 10:56 PM
Banned

That "reappearance".

God. Damn.

--
Old 10-06-17, 12:00 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I can't tell what face/rating that is. Entranced pre-laxative?

Saw it tonight. I thought it was excellent. I thought it was wrapping up when K meets Deckard, but was so glad to be wrong about that.
Old 10-06-17, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My teenage sons have not seen the first film. Do they need to watch it before watching this one?
Old 10-06-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
My teenage sons have not seen the first film. Do they need to watch it before watching this one?
Don't think its required. I will say being a fan of the first film will make certain scenes somewhat emotional... especially that one appearance.
Old 10-06-17, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Watched the double feature. Great to see Blade Runner on the big screen.

It delivers. Go see it. The two live action shorts were alright. But don't view them as a reference for 2049. The anime short and the full film are equally amazing.

Beautiful, thoughtful, lean entertainment. As with Villeneuve's other movies - there isn't a wasted scene. It's not always playing it hard for emotion, and that can bore some people. But every scene matters. And every scene pulls you in.

I've seen the "are robots human" theme in anime plenty of times. This might be the peak presentation of that theme.

Blade Runner has its technical achievements and place in history. But 2049 is top-tier modern mainstream filmmaking. I *think* people are going to love it, and it's going to be a ton at the box office. But I'm not always in touch with what's going to be big.
Old 10-06-17, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah. Just make sure they read the few sentences of exposition at the beginning. And know that Rachel and Decker evaded authorities and ran away at the end of Blade Runner.
Old 10-06-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty sure I'm going to be in love with this movie for awhile.
Old 10-06-17, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Damn, I've already read too much. I wasn't planning on seeing this but the comments here are encouraging.
Old 10-06-17, 02:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really liked it. I need to see it again before I can give a final evaluation though, as there’s a lot to take in.

I can say I appreciate that they kept the story contained, I feel like any other movie would have had Deckard and K teaming up and taking down Wallace. Where they went with it was so much better than that.

I saw the double feature and man the original film is such an incredible achievement. The writing, directing, acting, design, score all enhance each other. Truly a masterpiece.
Old 10-06-17, 04:12 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

So far the consensus has been better than I thought, in a good way. I definitely want to see it again sooner than later, and that’s a rarity for me these days, as I can usually just see it once. I felt like I wasn’t sure about some plot details.

Questions I was left with (maybe I missed some key lines, and maybe a lot was intentional)...
Spoiler:
Was Wallace even human? Why was there a “male copy” to begin with?, and is it possible that the “copy” was a twin (K maybe?)? Or was that just a red herring? Why/how was Wallace’s “henchwoman” Luv tracking Joi, or care so much she went “offline”? Just a hunch on her part? And why was Luv crying so much during what appeared to be pretty cold blooded matters like murder? She seemed conflicted, but at other times not at all. So was Stelline a replicant/human hybrid? And what was the replicant resistant’s goal with with tracking K and stopping Wallace? Wouldn’t replicants eventually die off without more of them being born? How was K able to break the rules/orders if he was programmed not to? Was K “special” or was Joi just telling K what he wanted to hear, was she was programmed to? Was Tyrell really hoping Deckard to reproduce with Rachel, or was Wallace just fucking with Deckard? Why did Wallace never suspect Stelline of being the child?

I read the Wikipedia plot summary since I was fuzzy on some stuff, but the plot details revealed there seemed just as confused as I feel like I was/am.

Last edited by Brack; 10-06-17 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-06-17, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I adjusted my work schedule to catch a mid-afternoon matinee today. I'll have my review up tomorrow sometime.
Old 10-06-17, 08:18 AM
Banned

Yes.

--
Old 10-06-17, 04:44 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what movie you all saw but this movie had a lot of flaws. Perhaps my hopes were too high going in? Here are some random issues I had with it:
Spoiler:

--It was very slow paced and the action was few and far between. I get that K is trying to solve the mystery of the child but in my mind I had decided early early on that it was HIM. The painfully slooww revelation that unfolds is painful to sit through because there was no surprise or twist until the VERY end, at which point I didn't care anymore. I really liked K and had no emotional attachment to the memory engineer.

--K's cyber-girlfriend was annoying. It was a cheap hollow assimilation of a real relationship. It was a sex-toy programmed to chat up the one who bought it. It was as if microsoft sold a companion chat bot that would talk to lonely guys online. One step above Amazon Alexa. Nothing more real than a chat bot that keeps you strung along for whatever reason. She was cute but shallow. I kept thinking of the fake girlfriend from that old Arnold movie 'the 6th day'.

--Plot was lame: Bad guy wants replicants to give birth so he can make an army? Create more replicants cheaply? I thought the WHOLE advantage of a replicant is that you can make them quickly (skip the annoying useless child stage--seriously what are kids good for as slave labor?) and create mass factories that pump out replicants all day long. Having sex/pregnant/give birth seems like a really limiting thing. Rachael died in childbirth anyway. Seems like a waste of time to pursue it.

--The end CLICHE! UGH the boss battle between K and Luv at the end was like every boss battle we've seen:
  • step 1-shoot each other for awhile.
  • Step 2- ok bad guy is hurt so I can be distracted and do something else now.
  • Step 3- Oh no, boss now is engaging in hand to hand combat! Now we can fight again and draw it out. Seriously guys, so many movies follow that fight formula. K is supposedly good at killing replicants, why wouldnt he put more bullets into her to make sure shes dead?

--Ok replicants can drown? They need air? Being a replicant, I don't know, cant they turn off and reboot later? They seem to be invincible when they want to be (burst through walls) and fragile when plot needs it (drown, choke... etc)

--What was with the bees?

--PLOT HOLES: Luv can sneak INTO LAPD headquarters and kill forensic guy and steal bones, without a disguise. THEN she comes BACK WITH SAME OUTFIT ON and kills the chief again with NO security, no cameras, no guards or 1000s of police around? And can spend time browsing her computer.

--Also same with Deckards daughter--- no security in her office at all. Deckard just walks in.

--The Cinematography and effects were good.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 10-06-17 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

I attempted to watch this late last night 10:45pm at the TCL Chinese Theatre here in Los Angeles. Very old theater and not the most comfortable seats. Probably not the best idea for a nearly 3 hour movie, especially after having dinner and working in the day. I was fine for the first 90 minutes or so, but then I started getting really tired and nodded off a few times. I think I may have missed 50% of the last 73 minutes. There was probably about 40 or so in the theatre that late and I saw a few people squirming in their seats and nodding off.

I definitely need to see this again. I will say that visually it's awesome and the score was pretty awesome too.
Old 10-06-17, 06:01 PM

I loved it

but

Should the movie have benefited from an intermission?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.