Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
25.58%
38.37%
18.60%
8.14%
3.49%
2.33%
3.49%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 04:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

no, i think i know, but i don't know if it is my hearing going or too much wax or the sound in my theater which the music booms and you can feel it, and was so reminiscent of first and i thought fantastic despite the "controversy", but the dialogue is not always easy to understand lately (Wind River at same theater, maybe even same auditorium, was like that as well). so the first exchange with him and Lt. (Wright) was not so easy to understand and i think i got it from that, but wasn't positive...
Old 10-07-17, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
What are you, high?
And a little, but not while I was watching film...
Old 10-07-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Haha. Just messing with you. Of course he was a replicant. It was, like, 100%. He was part of the new generation of docile replicants. That's why he went into the testing room regularly. There was no question about it.
Old 10-07-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Deakins shot it. Zimmer scored it. Could've watched 10 hours of that shit.

So it's snowing in the last scene. Then she's making it snow in her memory. Are we supposed to call into question everything we just witnessed?
Old 10-07-17, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Haha. Just messing with you. Of course he was a replicant. It was, like, 100%. He was part of the new generation of docile replicants. That's why he went into the testing room regularly. There was no question about it.
i was just making sure given the ambiguity of Deckard's origins...
Old 10-07-17, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher
Deakins shot it. Zimmer scored it. Could've watched 10 hours of that shit.
agreed. the cinematography was just grand and that score was very good (i know people have their doubts about Zimmer, but i love his stuff) and reminiscent of first...
Old 10-07-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Re watched the first one last night.... saw 2049 this morning. (I would recommend a morning screening vs evening) Solid film.... this actually feels like the relationship between Terminator and T2 - a much bigger budget version of the first film. Similar concepts...perhaps what some might consider the same flaws - cold, somewhat detached characters, etc.

I think there's 10-15 minutes that could've been trimmed...this feels like an extended version imo. Although tbh, Blade Runner at less than two hours feels like an eternity at times...nothing drags too much in 2049. I think there is a masterpiece tantalizingly close in here...it just needed some more passes in the editing imo.

Of course the atmosphere of it all just washes over you...top notch. The music wasn't as thematic as the first...but lol, the theater walls were rattling like I've never heard! Baaahhmmm!!

I was concerned the story was going to be as straightforward and obvious as it seemed to be early on, but it wasn't, which was a real nice surprise. (very happy there was no definitive answer given about Deckard) I was very pleased with the ending....I just wish they closed on Gosling. (instead of the extended ending inside)

Due to box office, doesn't seem like we're getting a third....but I'm fine with that. Leaves questions opened just like the first one.

Last edited by Artman; 10-07-17 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-07-17, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

The movie fucking ends with a martial arts fight with the big boss's henchmen...why is this considered some deep masterpiece?
Old 10-07-17, 10:16 PM

Are you being serious?
Old 10-07-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Or Harry Knowles.
Oops! I never read Knowles.
Old 10-07-17, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this tonight in a half filled 7:00 showing, so disappointed in that. This is the best movie of 2017 hands down. Visually and audibly stunning. As others have said, it was a little long but I didn’t mind the pacing at all. Gosling was great, would have liked a little more Ford and Leto though.
Old 10-08-17, 02:06 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm not really a fan of Ryan Gosling and consider Jared Leto to be one of the most pretentious actors in Hollywood (it seems he was channeling Ben Kingsley's Fake Mandarin with his line delivery as Wallace). The art direction looked stunning, but the trailers and the three prequel shorts didn't convince me I wouldn't be in for an emotionally hollow experience. Still, the solid reviews convinced me to catch a matinee.

Well, color me surprised. While it isn't without flaws, this was the most rewarding trip to the movies I've had in a long time. Even the inconsiderate asshole who decided to bring a screaming baby into a 163 minute R-rated film wasn't enough to ruin my initial viewing. Denis Villeneuve has earned a new fan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's able to get the new Dune adaption across the finish line. If anyone can crack that nut, I figure it's this guy.
Old 10-08-17, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe I am just not a sophisticated enough viewer or just nor mainstream enough or something but this movie was a complete miss for me. I really did not like it all.

First of all, it is boring. The long long shots and slow movements, just seemed to be screaming "look at me, this is profound, this is important" But none of it was. This was a story that could have easily been told in 50 minutes but is over 3 times that.

The plot is dull, uber-derivative and cliched and just not really all that interesting. And the climax is just ludicrous crap stolen from a zillion B grade movies.

The score was terrible. It added nothing to the movie, was uber loud and unintersting, Seemed like it consisted of like 4 very loud slightly discordant distorted notes, and rumbling.Seriously, rumbling was the main component of the soundtrack.

More than all that it really had nothing to say. The main them was essentially exposition 30 minutes into the movie.

I did like Joi and her arc, it was the only interesting thing in the entire movie.

And Ford's role may have been the least interesting role he has ever had. I mean he has a ludicrous and completely extraneous battle in front of Vegas holograms that I guess ended on what was supposed to be a funny note, and then he gets tied into a shuttle and sits there for 10 minutes playing with his handcuffs, And then they end with a forced Han Solo smirk.

Jared Leto was awful and boring.

I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere but to me, a guy, it seemed amazingly misogynistic. The only woman actually treated with respect in this movie is a hologram, and it just seemed to view women as objects, bitches and kind of disposable.

The whole movie would have been better with Rachel in hiding and Deckard dead.

I don't hate the movie, I am just sort of indifferent to it. It is boring, cliched, overlong and has nothing to say. A mere shadow of the original.

2.5 stars for some decent cinematography and the Joi subplot. Production value was high, visuals were redundant and not all that interesting for the most art.
Old 10-08-17, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
And Ford's role may have been the least interesting role he has ever had.
No issue at all with your pov...as for myself...I thought this was the best he's been in decades. I was very impressed with how long his reactions were held on screen...and while not perhaps Oscar worthy...it certainly solidified to me his acting talent.

I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere but to me, a guy, it seemed amazingly misogynistic. The only woman actually treated with respect in this movie is a hologram, and it just seemed to view women as objects, bitches and kind of disposable.
It is what it is....I can certainly see and understand your viewpoint. I don't necessarily agree with it... but isn't that the great thing about movies!?
Old 10-08-17, 03:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

With all the high praise, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that this movie put me to sleep. It was kinda nice actually because the movie has a dream like quality with the droning sounds and slow movements. Thankfully I woke up by the time we arrive at Las Vegas and was blown away by the incredible visuals and set pieces. The audio really sucked me into a complete escapism experience.

I just wish the pacing wasn't so slow. I felt like everyone moved in slow motion and got so sick of seeing that wooden horse over and over and over again. My feelings pretty much mirror how I feel about the original Blade Runner. I love the world of Blade Runner, but the actual plots don't have enough meat on the bone for me. If someone went into this movie not knowing anything about Blade Runner, they would feel completely lied to by the trailer. The trailer makes it look like an action packed sci-fi thriller starring Harrison Ford.
Old 10-08-17, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

That's the main theme of Sara Stewart's 2-star New York Post review, linked in an earlier post. Here it is again:

http://nypost.com/2017/10/04/youll-l...youre-a-woman/
Old 10-08-17, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Jesus Christ..... looks like few of you were expecting the Michael Bay Cut or the Justin Lin Cut of this film.

Maybe you'll get that once it hits bluray.
Old 10-08-17, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yeah BR1 was slow. BR2 is slow. Surprised?

Saw it yesterday and was blown away. It was slow, but never felt like a long film, if that makes sense. I hate seeing headlines this morning that its already being called a bomb.
Old 10-08-17, 08:47 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Are you being serious?
I'm quite serious. I don't understand the high praise this movie is getting. It poses no new questions that the original to put to us in a much more succinct manner. I don't understand why people thought the original is so "slow" when this one is fucking glacial. (You could have cut a half hour out of this easily.) And to top it all off, it ends with a martial arts fight between good guy and bad guy. Spielberg's "A.l." is a deeper film than this. Heck, despite its flaws it's a BETTER film than this. If this movie wasn't associated with Blade Runner it would be forgotten and relegated to Netflix.

Last edited by PatD; 10-08-17 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-08-17, 09:09 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's the main theme of Sara Stewart's 2-star New York Post review, linked in an earlier post. Here it is again:

http://nypost.com/2017/10/04/youll-l...youre-a-woman/
Ahh, hadn't read that. Obviously agree with her.
Old 10-08-17, 09:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
The movie fucking ends with a martial arts fight with the big boss's henchmen...why is this considered some deep masterpiece?
I seem to recall a rather significant scene after the fight that is perhaps more important.
Old 10-08-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just got back from it and I fucking loved it but can't help to feel that this is the middle part of a possible (not likely now) trilogy. Why? Well, where the fuck did Jared Leto go at the end? He let's Deckard know that he will know punishment and we never see him again. Second, what happened to the assumed "rise of the replicants" scene? That never came. They make their plans known and...nothing.

Outside of those two quibbles -- the movie was great. Man, it was fucking loud, too. Also this is probably one Zimmer's best scores -- funny how folks hated on him. Take that!
Old 10-08-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Since this has spoilers and stuff I will post it here. DVD Josh, keep it friendly, I know you don't like Mendelson, but chill....

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Bomb: 10 Reasons It Was Doomed

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#34da30ac24fb

I know it may be in poor taste to declare a big and ambitious film to be effectively DOA after three days of domestic release, but as last night’s Saturday Night Live musical guest once sang, the writing’s on the wall. Blade Runner 2049 opened with just $31.525 million this weekend, including $5m in IMAX, with little reason to hope for huge legs beyond the slightly frontloaded (2.48x weekend multiplier) debut. Yes, the film may have legs due to a lack of big movies between now and Thor, and yes it may do a little better overseas. But (barring an overseas miracle) it's essentially time to die for Blade Runner 2049.

Truth be told, it’s not a surprise, as I was always skeptical of the idea that a long, R-rated, adult-skewing sci-fi drama sequel to a 35-year old cult flop would magically produce a global blockbuster result. And in the end, it failed this weekend precisely for all the reasons that we assumed it would. So, without further ado, here are the ten reasons why Blade Runner 2049 turned out to be such a commercial disappointment. In all likelihood, they will all be quickly forgotten in time, like tears in rain.

10. There is a ton of R-rated, adult-skewing competition.

There was a time when being a big-scale, R-rated sci-fi film would automatically make Blade Runner 2049 into an event. Heck, I’m still convinced that was part of Prometheus’s initial appeal, existing as a somewhat original, R-rated, big-budget sci-fi movie in a PG-13 time. But today Blade Runner 2049 is merely one big R-rated movie alongside It, mother!, American Assassin, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, American Made, The Foreigner and The Snowman. Heck, in this marketplace, maybe Blade Runner 2049 should have tried to stand out by snagging an NC-17 or a G. After all, not even My Little Pony could manage a G rating.

9. It stole the thunder.

While Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. is distributing Blade Runner 2049 in North America, they are merely taking a distribution fee. The budget was split between Alcon Entertainment and Sony, the latter of whom is distributing the movie overseas. So WB will come out fine, especially as word around the campfire is that Alcon is responsible for the marketing, both commercially and artistically. Nevertheless, while Blade Runner 2049 wanted to be the event movie of the season, WB and New Line’s $35 million scary clown movie completely stole its thunder. Yes, It has been out for a while, but those adults who only see one or two movies in theaters a month already used up their date night on the Stephen King adaptation.

8. The Mystery Box marketing backfired.

Alcon was outright draconian in terms of allowing any plot or character details to be included both in the marketing or in the eventual reviews. Some critics got a detailed list of elements they were forbidden from outright referencing in their critiques, so even the mostly rave reviews were unable to tell audiences what the movie was about. The Blade Runner 2049 campaign was merely the fact that it was a Blade Runner sequel, it looked gorgeous and starred Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford. I’m all for spoiler-free marketing, but that usually only works if you have something that audiences are inherently interested in seeing. There was little offered for those not already onboard with the mere idea of a Blade Runner sequel.

7. There was little conventional female appeal.

To be fair, the actual film contains a handful of notable female characters, even if most of them fall into certain tropes (virtual prostitute, actual prostitute, etc.). It desperately needs more Robin Wright and Sylvia Hoeks. Hoeks (essentially the film’s Darth Vader/Oddjob) is pretty great, but A) the film is mostly about Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford and B) the marketing emphasized both the whole “dudes being dudes doing dude things” narrative and certain male gaze imagery. Gosling interacting with a gigantic (nude) holographic hottie was a key marketing image, as was a giant statue in the desert of two attractive women making out with each other were key marketing images. Heading into the weekend, the marketing and overall perception of the film was that it was very much a bro sci-fi movie for male fans of the original.

6. Reviews emphasized that it wasn’t an action-filled crowdpleaser.

As I’ve noted before, positive reviews can sometimes backfire depending on how they describe the film. The rave reviews for How to Train Your Dragon 2 which referenced or hinted-at heartbreaking plot turns and emotional rollercoasters didn’t work on parents who didn’t want to see their kids cry in the theater. Blade Runner 2049 had mostly rave reviews, but those rave reviews emphasized the length, the mood and the lack of conventional action. Again, some of this was a byproduct of not being able to discuss plot details, but the overall impression was that Blade Runner 2049 was a gorgeous looking tone poem where not much happens, which isn’t unlike the first film. So for general moviegoers, Kingsman 2 may have seemed the safer bet.

5. It was too long.

Yes, I know, no good movie is too long and no bad movie is too short. But for those adults on the fence about Blade Runner 2049, especially those with kids who would have to be left at home, the prospect of a 2.75-hour movie, with related babysitter, ticket price and food-related expenses, well, that wasn’t quite as enticing as the 90-minute Gravity or even the 135-minute It. Like a lot of adult movies in the last two years, Blade Runner 2049 was a victim of improved at-home viewing options. Sure, folks may have been curious, but it was all too easy to wait 90 days and watch the film on VOD or Blu-Ray from the comfort of home.

4. Blade Runner 2049 was not remotely kid-friendly.

If you’re playing the generational nostalgia card, it helps if the adults who now have kids and jobs have the option of taking their kids with them to the theater. That’s the difference between Tron: Legacy (a PG-rated, Walt Disney-produced sci-fi actioner released during the Christmas season) and Blade Runner 2049. The film had zero youth appeal. Even if adult fans of the film were intrigued by the prospect of a sequel, were they intrigued enough to A) ditch the family or B) spring for a sitter and related expenses? No, not every movie has to be geared toward kids, but if you’re attempting to snag fans who were young when the original debuted but are now old, it helps if we geezers can take our kids to the theater as well.

3. Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford aren’t openers.

Harrison Ford is worth his weight in gold for Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies. But outside of those flagship franchises, he hasn’t had a big opener since What Lies Beneath way back in 2000. And hell, a $31 million debut for Blade Runner 2049 isn’t even his biggest non-Star Wars/Indy debut, as Air Force One snagged $37m back in 1997 ($71m adjusted) and Cowboys and Aliens opened with $36m in 2011. Ryan Gosling may be the Internet’s boyfriend, but he can’t open an envelope, which makes him like most would-be big (white male) movie stars of today. Heck, Gosling’s biggest hit outside of La La Land is the $86m-grossing Crazy Stupid Love (an ensemble film). They may get attention online, but they don’t put butts in the theater seats.

2. Blade Runner means nothing to general audiences.

This turned out to be a case where online fandom was not remotely representative of general audience interest. We’ve been down this road before, with Scott Pilgrim versus the World or John Carter. General audiences aren’t anywhere near as obsessed about Blade Runner as we film nerds, and plenty of general moviegoers (young and old) have little-to-know interest or connection to the original film. So making a very expensive sequel that damn-well requires you to have seen the original isn’t exactly a good bet. The Internet freaked out over Zoolander, No. 2, but general moviegoers flocked to Deadpool instead. Yes, social media-friendly nostalgia works when folks can stay home and watch more Gilmore Girls or X-Files, but when feeding said nostalgia involves leaving the house, especially without the kids, it’s a trickier game.

1. Don’t make a Blade Runner sequel that’s so expensive that it must perform like a Star Wars sequel.

If we ignore everything else about how Blade Runner 2049 performed this weekend, we should note that it was totally insane that Alcon and Sony spent $155 million (after rebates) on a sequel to a cult classic that made less than $30m back in 1982. In a vacuum, a $31m domestic debut for a 2.75-hour, R-rated sci-fi tone poem isn’t half bad. If Blade Runner 2049, with its rave reviews and Oscar buzz, had cost maybe $80m I would be singing a very different tune. But at $155m (or more), this project was doomed from the start, another victim of conventional wisdom about what a hit movie theoretically looks like.

Maybe China and Japan will help it save some face, but Blade Runner 2049 shouldn’t have needed overseas grosses to save it. Besides, more often than not, films that bomb in North America bomb overseas too. And sure, the arty, acclaimed film may have legs, but A) even a Dunkirk/Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation-ish 3.5x multiplier gets it under $115 million and B) Warner Bros. has other (superheroic) priorities at the moment. They’ll be fine, as this is more of a moral blow than a financial one for them. On the plus side, It has topped $300m domestic and $600m worldwide. Still, I feel bad enough for them that I might let my wife ghost-write the Geostorm review.
Old 10-08-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Bladerunner was never going to make big box office because it's essentially a cult fanbase. That's not a bad thing because the movie doesn't have to sell out to the masses like so many blockbusters do but the flip side is it won't make big coin either. There wasn't much buzz in my work about this movie other then 2 of my co-workers who loved the original.
Old 10-08-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, where the fuck did Jared Leto go at the end? He let's Deckard know that he will know punishment and we never see him again. Second, what happened to the assumed "rise of the replicants" scene? That never came. They make their plans known and...nothing.
That's the plot of a lesser film.

Wallace sent Deckard on his way to be tortured Off-World. K rescued him from that. What happens after Deckard lives is up to the viewer to think about.

What you describe happens after the film ends. Deckard's daughter is a born replicant and it's going to be exposed after the events in the film. She's aware of what's happening, after she sees K's memory that she illegally created (from her own childhood).

Replicants might have a revolution, and they start exterminating humans. Wallace will likely be jailed or killed. I'm happy when things are left to happen off-screen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.