Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
25.58%
38.37%
18.60%
8.14%
3.49%
2.33%
3.49%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Me and a friend were dumbstruck at the end of the movie- we didn't say a word for like 5mins.

That was fucking awesome!!!
Old 10-06-17, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
--It was very slow paced and the action was few and far between.

No fucking shit. It seems, right off the bat, that you went into this beast the wrong way. A considerable segment watching this film would have been severely disappointed if it WASN'T slow-paced.

--
Old 10-06-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Blade Runner 2049 - R - Sci-fi film noir moves 30 years into the future in this stunning follow-up to the 80’s cult classic

To prepare for seeing Blade Runner 2049, I kind-of revisited the “original” sci-fi epic last week. I say “kind-of” because I rewatched Blade Runner: The Final Cut, which is different from the original theatrical version, the Director’s Cut, and pretty much any other version in-between. The Final Cut ditched Deckard’s (Harrison Ford) voice-over narration and some scenes, and added additional imagery that cast doubt as to whether or not Deckard was actually human. In general, I think it made the overall story of the hard-boiled replicant hunter more interesting. I remember seeing the original several times in 1982 in a theater in Monterey, er, Coruscant, as a young sailor, er, Jedi, whose interest in film was really beginning to take root.

So now it’s 2017, and wow, how do I talk about this outstanding continuation of Blade Runner without giving away too much? I can say that director Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicaro) builds and improves the original story. Like the first movie, we open with an explanation of replicants (bioengineered humans), and learn that certain models were given open-ended life spans by their creators, the Tyrell Corporation. Many rebelled then disappeared, and Blade Runners are still being employed to hunt down and “retire” or kill them. In the meantime, Tyrell has collapsed, and a new company, Wallace, sets out to create a newer, more compliant replicant.

As the story opens, we follow K (Ryan Gosling), a replicant programmed as a Blade Runner, on the trail of one of the original Tyrell replicants. As K closes this case, he uncovers some unexpected evidence that points to a major secret that could turn what everyone thought they knew about replicants on its head. The head of Wallace (Jared Leto), however, has always suspected the secret and wants to incorporate it into his own version of replicants. Additionally, K’s own memories may hold the key to the secret. At the urging of his boss, played by Robin Wright, he continues to dig, and the ties to the first Blade Runner movie become more evident and important.

Eventually, K and his “girlfriend” Joi (the delightful Ana de Armas) are not only on the trail of ex-Blade Runner Deckard, but it turns out that Wallace is also pursuing Deckard and K. Now, I have just skipped over a WHOLE LOT of the movie, details, twists and turns, because they must be experienced with as little foreknowledge as possible. There are familiar characters that unexpected pop-up, actors I had no idea were in the film, and just so many delicious ideas and possibilities that are introduced and explored - true fans of the first movie MUST see this one.

The music score sent chills down my spine because of how closely they replicated the original Vangelis soundtrack, and the visual effects so closely matched those of the 1982 classic, that it is hard to believe the films were produced 35 years apart. All of the actors were terrific in their roles, and the films ends in such a way that a third film could organically build on the groundwork of this one.

Blade Runner 2049 is just about as close to an instant classic as a sequel can get. I am giving it 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers, and wow, just in writing this, I can’t wait to see it again.

NOTES FOR PARENTS: Blade Runner 2049 is rated R for violence, and some language and nudity. Several characters die at various times from gunshots, explosions, and stab wounds, but the violence is not nearly as bloody as most R-rated films. There are punches and kicks delivered during some fight scenes. The “F” bomb is used very infrequently, as is other milder profanity. A “new-born” replicant female’s rear and breasts are shown. Holographic ads shows a female’s rear and breasts. Side nudity of one female character is shown in shadow and very fleetingly. Several giant nude sculptures are seen about a third of the way through the film.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDITS SCENES: There are not extra scenes once the credits roll.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 10-06-17 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Damn...I have only seen the voice over version of Blade Runner in a film class at U.C. Santa Cruz (so I saw the film for the first time between 1999 - 2001, have not seen it since), but it sounds like I need to get my ass to the AMC Newpark Mall or Cinemark Pacific Commons tomorrow or Sunday. I also remembered I have one of those Fandango cash cards I bought at Safeway for a discount several months back so the film will be free even if I choose the expensive big ass screen option...yay.
Old 10-06-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Addressing the cliche climax claim... I thought the climax was great. It's simple and personal. It also had very tight, real, claustrophobic staging. All very much like the chase around Sebastian's building in the original, without being the same.

They didn't try to mimic the original's 'tears in the rain' monologue.

Spoiler:
And I was a little surprised that we didn't get a clenching fist from Joe at the very end (was almost sure that was going to be there).
Old 10-06-17, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe it's my own enjoyment of ... adult entertainment. But I found Joe's relationship with Joi very moving.

I don't know what that Villeneuve fella did to make it so good. But that's what I'm talking about ... where every scene is worthwhile. The Joi/Joe/Mariette scene didn't have to be so good. But it was. Whatever it is he does, it's not so passive like your average movie. Every scene has something to focus on. And it builds and has meaning. And if they couldn't "get there" when making a scene, it was scrapped. It's a very lean 2hr 40min movie.
Old 10-06-17, 10:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

was Leto only a cameo? i thought he was main baddy...
Old 10-06-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You should go see it.

He is Terrell's replacement. Probably 20 minutes of screen time.
Old 10-06-17, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edstein
My teenage sons have not seen the first film. Do they need to watch it before watching this one?
I’d say, unequivocally, yes. I hadn’t seen the movie for a few years and wished I would’ve rewatched more recently. They’ll get way more out of it if they see the original first.
Old 10-07-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We watched BLR1 tonight. Going to see BLR2049 soon.

Last edited by edstein; 10-07-17 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-07-17, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

2-star review of BLADE RUNNER 2049 in the New York Post:

http://nypost.com/2017/10/04/youll-l...youre-a-woman/
Old 10-07-17, 06:16 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

^ Sara appears to be in the minority with her 2-star review.
Old 10-07-17, 06:22 AM

It was beautiful, but probably the most punishing nerdgasm to date. Cinematic coke dick... It lasted way to long and by the time it climaxed I couldn't decipher if I was bored or furious. I loved it, but I can't accept the egregious dead space that left me feeling like I was being hate fucked by the dreamy weirdo I've been crushing on for too long. I dunno. Maybe I'm just salty because I worked all day & fangirled out too hard on the way to the theater. Three decades waiting for the return of my dystopian wet dream, only to be dry humped into catatonia. At least Harrison Ford gave me motivation to masturbate myself to sleep without crying. Good man. As far as artistry, overall performance value, story line, and dialogue... It was brilliant. Did it need to consume nearly three hours though? The answer is no... There is no acceptable argument... Period, point blank, the end. For anyone to feel justified or, worse yet, elated, by pissing away such a grotesque time slot only proves that their hyper-glorification is rooted in not only grand delusion/ morbid fandom, but also a pitiful display of laziness and wasted life. If the content had been compressed a bit it would have been infinitely more powerful and effective. I haven't a single negative thing to say about any of the actors, they fucking NAILED every word, expression, and movement. I am mildly offended that their efforts were diluted by chronic voids. Bladerunner was the first (and greatest) love in my life... My first encounter with tragic romance... My daydream love affair perfectly embodied. Blade Runner2049... Passed out drunk with it's beautiful dick in my mouth.
Old 10-07-17, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Sp00kyCakes
It was beautiful, but probably the most punishing nerdgasm to date. Cinematic coke dick... It lasted way to long and by the time it climaxed I couldn't decipher if I was bored or furious. I loved it, but I can't accept the egregious dead space that left me feeling like I was being hate fucked by the dreamy weirdo I've been crushing on for too long. I dunno. Maybe I'm just salty because I worked all day & fangirled out too hard on the way to the theater. Three decades waiting for the return of my dystopian wet dream, only to be dry humped into catatonia. At least Harrison Ford gave me motivation to masturbate myself to sleep without crying. Good man. As far as artistry, overall performance value, story line, and dialogue... It was brilliant. Did it need to consume nearly three hours though? The answer is no... There is no acceptable argument... Period, point blank, the end. For anyone to feel justified or, worse yet, elated, by pissing away such a grotesque time slot only proves that their hyper-glorification is rooted in not only grand delusion/ morbid fandom, but also a pitiful display of laziness and wasted life. If the content had been compressed a bit it would have been infinitely more powerful and effective. I haven't a single negative thing to say about any of the actors, they fucking NAILED every word, expression, and movement. I am mildly offended that their efforts were diluted by chronic voids. Bladerunner was the first (and greatest) love in my life... My first encounter with tragic romance... My daydream love affair perfectly embodied. Blade Runner2049... Passed out drunk with it's beautiful dick in my mouth.
Greatest first post ever!

Welcome to DVD Talk, Sp00kyCakes.
Old 10-07-17, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Flattery will get you everywhere, my dear. I'm moderately to fatally embarrassed, having just now bothered to re read the word vomit that spewed from my bitter brain meat, by the abundance of inexcusable typos in my post. Alas, it would be nearly impossible to uphold a standard of grammatical perfection at dark 'o' clock in the morning, while throwing shade at strangers for absolutely no logical reason. Vanitas vanitatum, omnia vanitas.
Old 10-07-17, 07:36 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Is Snake back?
Old 10-07-17, 08:24 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I miss Snake. Too bad he’s banned.
Old 10-07-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Cool, so we’re getting out of work AICNers now.
Old 10-07-17, 08:53 AM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Or Harry Knowles.
Old 10-07-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

How much screentime does Ford get?
Old 10-07-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught the double feature on Thursday.

1) Any true fan of cinema owes it to themselves to see the first Blade Runner on the big screen. It's good, but the amount of detail a big screen viewing makes clear is amazing.

2) I admire the hell out of WB for letting Villeneuve seemingly have complete creative control (I think Scott's involvement was minimal) and releasing a $185 million movie like Blade Runner 2049. An R rated one to boot.

I really liked this new one. Not as good as the first one, but it's on up there with it, and that's saying a lot. I definitely need a second viewing as this was a bit much to take in and I need to process it a bit more, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Not many movies do that anymore.
Old 10-07-17, 10:02 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
How much screentime does Ford get?
Hard to remember exactly.

Spoiler:
Maybe thirty minutes?

Correct me if I’m wrong folks.
Old 10-07-17, 10:15 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I saw it last night. I don't see why the critics are having collective orgasms over it. It's not bad, but it's hardly visionary. But, all the praise lavished on it should be transferred to the original. The '82 Blade Runner had imagination, poetry, inspired dialogue, pacing, hauntingly memorable music and a point (at nearly half of the run time). Not to mention, I don't feel like we really got to know the characters in 2049 that well, while in the original, characters could be well sketched in the space of a scene (the Joanna Cassidy's 'Zhora' is a good example).
Spoiler:
All the while the climax is practically out of James Bond.
I think critics have been given so much mediocre material in terms of genre films, that the littlest piece of something has them going off like Pavlov's dogs. I'll stick with the original. (Hell, A.I. Artificial Intelligence has deeper scenes than Blade Runner 2049.)

Last edited by PatD; 10-07-17 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-07-17, 02:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Blade Runner 2049...magnificent, just magnificent. wonderful film.

Villeneuve took an existing world (created by Scott) an immersed us fully and expanded on it entirely. it was just a great cinematic experience all the way through. i was literally entranced.

and you really need to see the first to appreciate this. this isn't a standalone and i don't see why people think it is. that is perhaps why it won't do blockbuster or near to it, because the other is over 30 years old now. you really need to experience and enjoy the first to fully appreciate this one. you can't go in blind or you will be completely dumbfounded imo.

how would people know about Gaff or Rachael or even Deckard for that matter?

this just built on the last and the ending, again, so bittersweet.

just 1 question...
Spoiler:
was K/Joe a replicant and if so, what kind?

Old 10-07-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
just 1 question...
Spoiler:
was K/Joe a replicant and if so, what kind?
What are you, high?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.