Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
25.58%
38.37%
18.60%
8.14%
3.49%
2.33%
3.49%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Couple of technical things I forgot to add ...

3-D -- skip it. It should have been magnificent for a film this beautiful. Instead all it did was darken up an already overly dark image. When I go again I will go to a 2-D showing.

The sound was amazing though ... I thought I was going to explode from the bass vibrations.
Old 10-13-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Azor Ahai
Only it wasn't. This film was simply beyond you.

The End.

--
Of course it isn't a trilogy. Ridley Scott is contemplating 7 more.
Old 10-13-17, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Maybe I am just not a sophisticated enough viewer...
You're not.

--
Old 10-13-17, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnysd
So you are essentially saying you like movies where essentially nothing happens and there is no payoff whatsoever. Well Blade Runner 2049 is that.

This movie is all style over substance. It failed because it is a bad film, that seems to only appeal to hard core film buffs, and is actively hostile to female viewers. I am all for giving directors and film creators creative freedom. but in all honesty the studio should have never have approved the script, and definitely not the budget.

You are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it may actually be.
Old 10-13-17, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Because it was something that was established. Not just Wallace but the Replicant uprising. Either that, or it's TWO of the biggest red herrings ever.

Neither were "red herrings". Just a bit of backround info, nothing more.

This. Film. Is. About. K.

--
Old 10-13-17, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Neither were "red herrings". Just a bit of backround info, nothing more.

This. Film. Is. About. K.

--

It's not background info when it's in the forefront. If it were mentioned in passing then yes, it would be background. If it is EXPLICITLY stating something and nothing comes of it then those are two sub-plots that went nowhere.

Get. Over. Yourself.
Old 10-13-17, 10:53 PM
Banned

To me, it was sloppy and didn't feel earned, because the bigger battle/war is still to come.

What the fuck film did you think you were even watching as you were supposedly, actually watching this one?

--
Old 10-13-17, 11:00 PM
Banned

It's not background info when it's in the forefront. If it were mentioned in passing then yes, it would be background. If it is EXPLICITLY stating something and nothing comes of it then those are two sub-plots that went nowhere..

The film has been out, let's go into specifics.

What "subplots" were you actually referring to here, specifically, actually?
Old 10-13-17, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The film has been out, let's go into specifics.
OK, you start. What specifics do you have?
Old 10-14-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

It's not background info when it's in the forefront. If it were mentioned in passing then yes, it would be background. If it is EXPLICITLY stating something and nothing comes of it then those are two sub-plots that went nowhere.
In my opinion, you have a very broad definition of "sub-plot". I would not call one scene in the third act of the movie that mentions a coming replicant revolution a "sub-plot". It's just another element of the main plot that adds some weight to K's subsequent actions. If it was established earlier in the film and revisited in various ways throughout, then I'd call it a sub-plot.

To that end, I think it is more valid to complain about Wallace's fate not being resolved. That said, I personally liked that the ambiguity bucked convention. It worked for me, but I can see how it wouldn't work for everyone.
Old 10-14-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
In my opinion, you have a very broad definition of "sub-plot". I would not call one scene in the third act of the movie that mentions a coming replicant revolution a "sub-plot". It's just another element of the main plot that adds some weight to K's subsequent actions. If it was established earlier in the film and revisited in various ways throughout, then I'd call it a sub-plot.

To that end, I think it is more valid to complain about Wallace's fate not being resolved. That said, I personally liked that the ambiguity bucked convention. It worked for me, but I can see how it wouldn't work for everyone.

Well, I don't think it's that broad. You see that all of the Replicants are gathering about -- building their army and then they have an actual leader -- that female, I forget her name. That's pretty big, because it's like it foreshadows a fight or revolt of some kind, which never came. Hell, after K and Deckard leave, it's never referenced again. And you've already mentioned Wallace.

And as I've said -- I enjoyed the film a lot, with exception to these two bits.
Old 10-14-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

That's still the plot of a lesser movie. Nothing wrong with leaving things unseen. I would have been sooo disappointed if this turned into Alex Proyas' "I, Robot" at the end. The way it unfolded and the story stayed personal, with the ambiguous ending, was perfect.

It's kind of like criticizing Blade Runner for not showing a getaway chase after they enter the elevator at the end.

I personally love that feeling when a plot gestates and holds those feelings and events under the surface. It forces your mind to fill in the blanks. Much like reading a book and creating your own vision of the story. Michael Mann is the king of that. It can be seen here. It can be seen in the first Matrix movie. Christopher Nolan has a good feel for it too.
Old 10-14-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
That's still the plot of a lesser movie. Nothing wrong with leaving things unseen. I would have been sooo disappointed if this turned into Alex Proyas' "I, Robot" at the end. The way it unfolded and the story stayed personal, with the ambiguous ending, was perfect.

It's kind of like criticizing Blade Runner for not showing a getaway chase after they enter the elevator at the end.

I personally love that feeling when a plot gestates and holds those feelings and events under the surface. It forces your mind to fill in the blanks. Much like reading a book and creating your own vision of the story. Michael Mann is the king of that. It can be seen here. It can be seen in the first Matrix movie. Christopher Nolan has a good feel for it too.

Even showing a Replicant standing army getting ready to fight Wallace's army would have been neat -- two birds with one stone. And I'm not even alluding to there being an actual big blow out. A few lines here and there and that could have been closed instead of leaving it wide open. Yes, I understand that your mind forces you to fill in the blanks, but it also makes my mind assume there will be, at the very least, a third film to fill in the blanks and tell us what happened after 2049.
Old 10-14-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

...a third film to fill in the blanks and tell us what happened after 2049.
That sounds good, in theory. Then I remember what happened with The Matrix sequels, the newest Die Hard movies, etc.

It's not common that you get a big win with a sequel like Fury Road, Die Hard 3, Blade Runner 2049, Blade 2. I think it's better to keep imagining how good the sequels may have been, instead of forcing them into existence.

Part of Blade Runner's gravitas was that there was so much happening that we never saw. You hear about Off-World. But do we really want to see Off-World? I think the answer is no.

Anyways ... everyone remember to watch the anime short if they didn't already. It's amazing.
Old 10-14-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
That sounds good, in theory. Then I remember what happened with The Matrix sequels, the newest Die Hard movies, etc.

It's not common that you get a big win with a sequel like Fury Road, Die Hard 3, Blade Runner 2049, Blade 2. I think it's better to keep imagining how good the sequels may have been, instead of forcing them into existence.

Part of Blade Runner's gravitas was that there was so much happening that we never saw. You hear about Off-World. But do we really want to see Off-World? I think the answer is no.

Anyways ... everyone remember to watch the anime short if they didn't already. It's amazing.

I'd be down with an "Animatrix" version of Blade Runner -- that would be great and it could definitely fill in the blanks in an animated/anime anthology. Maybe the Blu-ray will have more short films?
Old 10-14-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan
If your argument that exploitation and objectification is bad is so subtle that it's lost on a majority of viewers, who instead get their thrills from your overt exploitation and objectification, then you've failed.
I've been meaning to come back to this. My impression from reading you in the politics forum is that you're generally level-headed and data driven, so I was surprised to see this statement from you. What data is there to support the notion that this is lost on the majority of viewers? If you take a sample of most of the reviewers, I just don't see the majority of them saying the film is misogynist while missing the film's criticism of that misogyny.

I also am curious what makes you say it is so subtle? Is it that the majority of the violence against women in the film is committed by a female character (Luv)? The film is not very subtle about making it clear Luv is just Wallace's slave. She's practically an incarnation of Wallace himself. Likewise, the movie practically beats us over the head with what Joi represents. There are multiple huge flashing advertisements for her that say, "Everything You Want To Hear" and the Wallace logo is literally shown in her place when she clicks off every time. The pivotal moment in the movie for K in the third act is when he recognizes what Joi really is and rejects it - taking action to try to liberate the character in the movie (notably a female) who represents real hope. I'd accept that the movie treats all of this with a level of complexity, but it just doesn't seem very subtle to me.
Old 10-14-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I might have gone to see this if they'd cast my favorite replicant:

Old 10-14-17, 10:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even showing a Replicant standing army getting ready to fight Wallace's army would have been neat -- two birds with one stone. And I'm not even alluding to there being an actual big blow out. A few lines here and there and that could have been closed instead of leaving it wide open. Yes, I understand that your mind forces you to fill in the blanks, but it also makes my mind assume there will be, at the very least, a third film to fill in the blanks and tell us what happened after 2049.
I’m not trying to be dismissive here but it seems like you’re more used to movies that spell things out more. This sort of elliptical storytelling isn’t common in Hollywood these days.

I will say I do find it weird that you had issues with this but loved Prometheus, which left way more unanswered but in the most ham fisted, unsatisfying way.
Old 10-14-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I don't think it's that broad. You see that all of the Replicants are gathering about -- building their army and then they have an actual leader -- that female, I forget her name. That's pretty big, because it's like it foreshadows a fight or revolt of some kind, which never came.
I think we just fundamentally disagree on what that scene shows and what it means to the story. You see it as kicking off a major point of conflict to be resolved, despite it being introduced very late in the movie. I see it as adding an important sense of gravitas to the story that is already happening - K's journey of discovery in which he finds purpose in trying to save the girl who offers hope to his kind. In my opinion, it shows exactly and only what's necessary in the context of the established story for this film. And I like the fact that it adds a richness to the universe of the film that could be explored in other mediums (short films, graphic novels, etc).
Old 10-14-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I’m not trying to be dismissive here but it seems like you’re more used to movies that spell things out more. This sort of elliptical storytelling isn’t common in Hollywood these days.

I will say I do find it weird that you had issues with this but loved Prometheus, which left way more unanswered but in the most ham fisted, unsatisfying way.

Prometheus was set up for a sequel, so it only told what it needed to in that first film.

Blade Runner 2049 wanted to be its own film (standalone) and didn't quite succeed.
Old 10-14-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I saw this yesterday at a 4:00 matinee. It was a lot to take in and I'll definitely need to see it again. Thematically and visually it was great. I do believe it could have benefited from a script revision or two, and possibly some careful but minimal additional editing. Not the masterpiece laurels some have bestowed upon it, but an excellent, cerebral sci-fi, and a worthy sequel to my all-time favorite film.

Edit: It was nice of the theater to schedule a private screening for me.
Old 10-14-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Wasn't the point of Joi that she wasn't just a hooker bot but something far more?
I disagree. We're shown several advertisements for Joi bots. The ads tell us in thirty foot tall letters: She'll be what you want her to be. She'll say what you want her to say.

This one said, I love you. I need you. I want to have sex with you. I'll be like a real girlfriend. There exists one special child, and you are The One!

But she doesn't love him. She's a mass-produced bot. She's merely a more sophisticated version of the Facebook feed which populates with stories that are most likely to interest you.
Old 10-14-17, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I finished reading the thread. Great analysis by Suprmallet and kefrank.

I have one other thing to add. By my count of the major characters, there are only three humans. There's the police lieutenant, Wallace, and the orphanage manager. Everyone else is either slaves or escaped slaves. It makes me wonder just how many humans are left on Earth.
Old 10-14-17, 06:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I finished reading the thread. Great analysis by Suprmallet and kefrank.

I have one other thing to add. By my count of the major characters, there are only three humans. There's the police lieutenant, Wallace, and the orphanage manager. Everyone else is either slaves or escaped slaves. It makes me wonder just how many humans are left on Earth.
I take it you think Deckard is a Replicant then?
Old 10-14-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I take it you think Deckard is a Replicant then?
In this version, yes. That's why Wallace wanted to see what made his gonads tick. He was the male half of the replicant couple that made a baby.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.