Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
25.58%
38.37%
18.60%
8.14%
3.49%
2.33%
3.49%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

My dad and I finally went to see it this afternoon. I thought it was amazing. He really enjoyed it, too.

Glad we didn’t see it in imax, as it was loud as hell in the regular theater we saw it in.
Old 10-30-17, 01:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Azor Ahai
Probably my only real gripe with the film is that this reveal happens so fast, it's almost blink-and-you'll miss it. Just didn't have the major impact that I felt it should've had. We get more time spent on that cool but pointless little bit of Frank Sinatra crooning "Summer Wind".

--
I thought they were close to hitting you over the head with the twist, funny how we all see it differently.
Old 10-30-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Every movie these days is taking down an entire corporation, or spy organization, or stopping a monster from destroying a city. BR 2049 was quite thankfully not one of those movies. I was so glad when K didn’t go after Wallace and take him down, because that would be so fucking cliche. In life often all you get are small victories, just like in the original film.
Old 10-31-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Apparently there was a four hour cut (with intermission).

https://www.provideocoalition.com/AOTC-Bladerunner-2049

Doesn't seem like they want to release it, but I'd gladly buy another version as a companion piece to the theatrical cut.
Old 10-31-17, 01:17 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That was a great interview. Thanks.
Old 01-18-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

So I watched this last night.

I fell asleep for about 35-40 minutes in the middle of the movie. Woke back up and finished it. I was still able to follow what was going on like I never missed anything.

Not sure that that means...
Spoiler:
it is too fucking long and padded that's what it means

It was Ok. When the price drops to $10 I'll give it another shot and hold all opinions until I see the "whole" thing.
Old 01-21-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Damn...I have only seen the voice over version of Blade Runner in a film class at U.C. Santa Cruz (so I saw the film for the first time between 1999 - 2001, have not seen it since), but it sounds like I need to get my ass to the AMC Newpark Mall or Cinemark Pacific Commons tomorrow or Sunday. I also remembered I have one of those Fandango cash cards I bought at Safeway for a discount several months back so the film will be free even if I choose the expensive big ass screen option...yay.
How funny... I'm pretty sure a film class at UC Santa Cruz was also the first time I saw the original Blade Runner as part of a Cult Films class.

Watched this last night. Loved it. A little long, but watching at home meant I could pause for a little break about 2 hours in. Visually stunning, felt true to the original without devolving in to just a simple big budget action fest, and I found the replicant birth incredibly interesting to follow. Gosling was good throughout, and I'm happy to see what they did with Deckard. Only character I didn't care for was Leto.

The actress that played Joi might be a new crush
Old 01-21-18, 01:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thrilled with the movie Blade Runner 2049. I'm looking for some kind of similar movie . Maybe.. Anybody here have a recommendation for a movie like this one did?
I found some recommendations on the sites https://bestsimilar.com/movies/38404-blade-runner-2049 and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1, but I'm curious to know the opinion of those who watched something similar to the movie Blade Runner 2049
Old 01-21-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
How funny... I'm pretty sure a film class at UC Santa Cruz was also the first time I saw the original Blade Runner as part of a Cult Films class.

Watched this last night. Loved it. A little long, but watching at home meant I could pause for a little break about 2 hours in. Visually stunning, felt true to the original without devolving in to just a simple big budget action fest, and I found the replicant birth incredibly interesting to follow. Gosling was good throughout, and I'm happy to see what they did with Deckard. Only character I didn't care for was Leto.

The actress that played Joi might be a new crush
Watch Knock Knock for more Ana de Armas goodness.

Pretty sure I first saw Blade Runner in film class around that time as well. I think it's one of those rare films which plays better on subsequent viewings.

Also agree on Leto. Worst aspect of the film although I guess he's just going for "weirdo" and he certainly makes an impression but, yeah .. he's the weak link.
Old 01-23-18, 01:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Third viewing, this movie is phenomenal. I even like Leto's performance now. It's unique and strange, but it works for me for some reason. He's what insanely rich folks like Jeff Bezos would be in the future.
Old 01-23-18, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
Watch Knock Knock for more Ana de Armas goodness.

Pretty sure I first saw Blade Runner in film class around that time as well. I think it's one of those rare films which plays better on subsequent viewings.

Also agree on Leto. Worst aspect of the film although I guess he's just going for "weirdo" and he certainly makes an impression but, yeah .. he's the weak link.
Knock Knock is unwatchable even for the women in it.
Old 01-27-18, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
So you know how Stranger Things felt like a 2 hour Spielberg movie stretched out over 8 episodes? Blade Runner's long run time, to me, felt like an 8 episode mini-series re-written into a feature length movie. Like, if they had the budget, it could be expanded out into 8 hour long episodes, but it would start to drag, but at it's current runtime, it's just the right length.

And Ford had just the right amount of screentime. By the time I started wondering when he'd show up, he did a few minutes later.
Wow, I thought it felt like a 23 minute short stretched to 3 hours of numbing banality. Nothing happens. I dont think I like a single thing about this movie. It is easily my most disliked and worst movie of 2017 for me. I would rather watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind again and I hate that movie with a fiery passion. Yes, I do realize that someone here probably has both of these in their personal Top 10 of all time.
Old 01-27-18, 07:10 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Wow, I thought it felt like a 23 minute short stretched to 3 hours of numbing banality. Nothing happens. I dont think I like a single thing about this movie. It is easily my most disliked and worst movie of 2017 for me. I would rather watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind again and I hate that movie with a fiery passion. Yes, I do realize that someone here probably has both of these in their personal Top 10 of all time.
I don’t want to get too off topic but I’d be curious about the hate for Etenal Sunshine.
Old 01-27-18, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

You gotta love that deeply insightful comment from the greatest hits of serious film criticism: "nothing happens."

I've still never seen a film where "nothing happens." And I own the By Brakhage Criterion set.
Old 01-27-18, 08:50 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
You gotta love that deeply insightful comment from the greatest hits of serious film criticism: "nothing happens."

I've still never seen a film where "nothing happens." And I own the By Brakhage Criterion set.
If nothing happpend in BR2049, then nothing happened of consequence in the original.
Old 01-27-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Wow, I thought it felt like a 23 minute short stretched to 3 hours of numbing banality.
I understand your POV.
The movie isn't fast-moving and did feel like it could be edited down considerably.
Old 01-27-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I watched this the other day. I was good, but I'm unsure about how good. I think it would have to repeat watch it at least once more. I do agree it was a tad long. Visually, it was probably one of the most stunning movies I've ever seen. It did capture some of the feeling of the original BR, but it was too bright in most of the movie. The original BR felt more dark and dirty, while this had many scenes that just seemed to clean. Overall, it was an enjoyable movie that I'll probably purchase down the line on UHD just because it looked so damn good.
Old 02-02-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I just saw this.

Pretty good film.
The visuals, score, and acting were excellent. I really liked the way they designed the tech in this film. It looked like something that would really work. It was a mixture of old and new, but I guess, primarily, that was just to seem like a continuation of what we saw in the first film.

I really didn't care for seeing elderly Gaff. He seemed so odd and enigmatic in the original that it was jarring to just see him in a retirement home, talking normal.

I didn't care for seeing old Deckard either. I know the producers had to put him there for commercial purposes, but I thought he brought the film down. It got worse when they introduced Rachel 2.0. The CGI was amazing, but it felt cliched and just an attempt to showoff by the director. The replicants are pretty much shown to be just like humans, yet the new Rachel came off more like a fembot from Austin Powers. Even the way she gets killed was lame. It's supposed to demonstrate how Wallace and even society in general views these beings, and yet there's no impact because of the way the scene is done.

They actually got me with the twist ending though. Very similar to TDKR (the little boy was actually a girl) and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, "You're not special." K wasn't the real son of Deckard and Rachel, AND he/we realized that Joi was never in love with him. K's memories were fake, and so was his real life to an extent.

The K/Joe and Joi thing reminded me of a couple things. First, of Lyla from Spider-man 2099, who's a holographic projection in Miguel O'Hara's apartment who falls in love with him.

The second is the Korean film Natural City. In that film the human main character, a cop, prefers the company of a female cyborg to that of a real woman.
There's even a scene in Natural City when a prostitute visits with the cop in his apartment and she mocks the cyborg, just like how Mariette acted towards Joi.

The whole replicant uprising subplot felt like it came out of left field. Maybe if there had been SOME hint of that, however minuscule, earlier in the film, it wouldn't have felt so out of place. It seemed like a plot element from another movie.
I also didn't like "the child"/miracle baby/chosen one/savior-trope.

In hindsight, the world felt a little too small with the coincidences, very Star Wars prequel-like. I mean, Rachel's kid just so happens to end up working for Wallace making Replicant memories, and just so happens to have some connection to K, and is also the key puzzle to freeing the Replicant slaves/mass producing millions more replicant slaves.

It sucks that this film didn't do well because, despite my criticisms, it was awesome.
Old 02-03-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
If nothing happpend in BR2049, then nothing happened of consequence in the original.
I would agree with that. Blade Runner is the most overrated movie ever.
Old 02-04-18, 03:21 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Very insightful, you won me over....
Old 02-04-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Very insightful, you won me over....
Old 02-04-18, 11:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I would agree with that. Blade Runner is the most overrated movie ever.
that's not correct.
Old 02-04-18, 12:41 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere, but it seemed that 2049 didn't really add much to the overall story/world of Blade Runner. The best parts of 2049 were just being part of what the future may be or the technology. The actual story was fairly mundane and a damn near rehash of the original. Replicant in search of replicants, has some existential thoughts, finds Ford's character, questions existence. Ford's character has a child afterall. End movie.

It's not bad, it's not great, but I don't see why anyone would or could prefer this over the original. I felt similar to when Disney made their first Star Wars movie. It was good, but felt like a rehash of New Hope.
Old 02-05-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
The best parts of 2049 were just being part of what the future may be or the technology.
That was why I kept watching the original. I thought it was really flawed, but the view of the future was great, a place I would like to visit.

It's not bad, it's not great, but I don't see why anyone would or could prefer this over the original. I felt similar to when Disney made their first Star Wars movie. It was good, but felt like a rehash of New Hope.
I agree with you on that. Like I said, the original (Theatrical and Director's Cut) were flawed but I felt it was a great twist on film noir, by using SF elements. This just reversed the main character's surprise twist. The rest of the story, in my opinion, goes against the ending of the original.

Rachel is just an administrative assistant who finds out she's not human, and in dealing with that shock, leaves home and doesn't show up to work. Now the law requires that she be killed. Deckard is just a cop, "little people", who hides Rachel to keep her alive. Now he's wanted too, and probably will receive the same sentence as her. Very in line with the film noir genre.

2049 upends that by having Rachel be this special replicant, and that her and Deckard's child is the key to freeing the replicants from their bondage. It even insinuates that Deckard and Rachel were designed to be attracted to one another in order to have a replicant child. Strays very far from film noir and into fantasy-action/comic book superhero territory. So that's adding something new to Bladerunner, it's not a very new or interesting concept to me.
Old 02-05-18, 09:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Not reading the spoilers because I haven't seen it yet, but I have noticed the trend continues here. First we have the anxious excited anticipation, then the overwhelming raves, now the fashionable haters and the armchair critics picking it to pieces. It never fails...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.