Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.19%
39.29%
19.05%
5.95%
3.57%
2.38%
3.57%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
0
0%
What are you high?
0
0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 10-14-17, 09:57 PM
  #201  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,033
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I disagree. We're shown several advertisements for Joi bots. The ads tell us in thirty foot tall letters: She'll be what you want her to be. She'll say what you want her to say.

This one said, I love you. I need you. I want to have sex with you. I'll be like a real girlfriend. There exists one special child, and you are The One!

But she doesn't love him. She's a mass-produced bot. She's merely a more sophisticated version of the Facebook feed which populates with stories that are most likely to interest you.
I still think this Joi was something different. Its been a week now, but what I remember she wanted to experience physical relations with K and took steps to make that happen without Ks direction. I mean it could be an extrapolation made by her programming but I think she was an AI that was sentient with its own wants and desires.
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man is offline  
Old 10-14-17, 11:14 PM
  #202  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,199
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I take it you think Deckard is a Replicant then?


He better be. He did not survive in Vegas all those years in that fucking radiation at some hotel casino if he wasn't. Unless there's more stuff that is not explicitly stated that would not make him one.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 10-15-17, 07:40 AM
  #203  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,033
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Didnt Ks scan coming into Vegas advise the radiation level was nominal? Besides if Deckard is a replicant it kills one of the defining themes of Blade Runner....dehumanized man rediscovers his humanity.
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man is offline  
Old 10-15-17, 08:11 AM
  #204  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,273
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I treat the new movie as a different story. Did the old movie version of Roy Batty's death scene kill the novel's theme that replicants are different than humans because the replicants are incapable of forming an emotional connection? In the book, replicants are gradually revealed to be monstrous. In the first movie, Roy Batty is a Christ figure when he dies.

If this is a re-imagining instead of a sequel, Deckard can be ambiguous in one movie and specified in another.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 10-15-17, 11:17 AM
  #205  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,033
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Yeah but youre talking about a film adaption of a novel vs a sequel to said film adaption. I dont follow your argument there.
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man is offline  
Old 10-15-17, 02:34 PM
  #206  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,915
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'd give this a 3.5 out of 5. The pacing was fine, there were some really great aspects, but I felt the story ended with a whimper and just found the last 15 minutes to be kind of trite.

Regardless, it was entertaining and better than I ever would have imagined for a Blade Runner sequel.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 06:26 AM
  #207  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 5,958
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
He better be. He did not survive in Vegas all those years in that fucking radiation at some hotel casino if he wasn't.
So replicants are impervious to radiation, but not gunshots, beatings, and drowning? If more human than human is to be believed, the radiation would get him too.
BuckNaked2k is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 08:20 AM
  #208  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 21,369
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
In the book, replicants are gradually revealed to be monstrous.
Well I know I said I didn't want a sequel. But that sounds like another movie right there. Villeneuve (or Shinichiro Watanabe) is one of the only directors I could expect to pull it off. Blade Runner needs to be cerebral, with simmering exposition and a lot of things happening under the surface. Others would try to turn it into an action-adventure film with on-the-nose exposition.
Troy Stiffler is online now  
Old 10-16-17, 11:45 AM
  #209  
2017 TOTY Winner
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
I still think this Joi was something different. Its been a week now, but what I remember she wanted to experience physical relations with K and took steps to make that happen without Ks direction. I mean it could be an extrapolation made by her programming but I think she was an AI that was sentient with its own wants and desires.
I think Nick is right. People who believe that Joi was something different is really only basing this belief in hopeful fantasy--the movie does not support her being 'special' in addition to her programming.

- K bought her a licensed upgrade, the emmanator. She was behaving as programmed when using the device that let her out of the house.

- When Joi set up the sex party, she was working as designed-- she said 'hold still while I sync'. This seems like a reasonable function for a companion hologram. People say 'hey she called and set up a prostitute, this shows she cares'. Honestly it sounds like a paid referral bonus: Hey my computer knows I need new plumbing and called a really good plumber to come over and give me a quote!

- It's misogynist male fantasy: "Gee the sexy companion girl that I bought to please me, is REALLY into me and after she got to know me she TOTALLY would like nothing more than to please me with her own free will." Actually in retrospect, I don't think K ever 'set her free'. He broke her tracking antenna, but freedom would mean releasing her to the cloud? She was always in his pocket and always supported him unquestioningly.

Wallace company (striving to make money) had made millions of 'Joi clones'. I think it would be disaster if the company didn't make sure she could not in any way achieve independence. Think of all the guys she would dump! lol
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 11:55 AM
  #210  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,577
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
I still think this Joi was something different. Its been a week now, but what I remember she wanted to experience physical relations with K and took steps to make that happen without Ks direction. I mean it could be an extrapolation made by her programming but I think she was an AI that was sentient with its own wants and desires.
The movie makes a pretty clear point that she is not different - she just feels different to K, until he recognizes she was just a product in the third act when the interactive Joi advertisement calls him "Joe".
kefrank is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:04 PM
  #211  
2017 TOTY Winner
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
In this version, yes. That's why Wallace wanted to see what made his gonads tick. He was the male half of the replicant couple that made a baby.
This also seemed like another plot hole. Wallace had Deckard in custody-- Do we not assume he plugged his member into a milker to get at his 'seed' (or simply remove his gonads)...?

Why would he need his compliance in the Rachael scene?

Or is the next movie where he does have his 'seed' collected, used it to make a child replicant that they have to go save? (yawn )
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:34 PM
  #212  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,915
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
- It's misogynist male fantasy: "Gee the sexy companion girl that I bought to please me, is REALLY into me and after she got to know me she TOTALLY would like nothing more than to please me with her own free will." Actually in retrospect, I don't think K ever 'set her free'. He broke her tracking antenna, but freedom would mean releasing her to the cloud? She was always in his pocket and always supported him unquestioningly.
It's fantasy. It all seemed fully programmed, K didn't break through anything, Joi was just acting the way she was programmed to. I found most of his interactions with her to be rather depressing (and the movie seemed a lot like a mix of Her and Children of Men), but it is AI relating to AI in those scenes -- while K got past his limitations, it was never suggested that Joi did.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-16-17 at 12:39 PM.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:43 PM
  #213  
2017 TOTY Winner
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

It was creepy and misogynist if the girl was really an ai trapped by her programming and confusing the issue of consent by writing the character to be in love with him in the end.

Kind of in the vein of last years movie Passengers with Jlaw and Chris Pratt...
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:46 PM
  #214  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,906
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
while K got past his limitations, it was never suggested that Joi did.
I think it was suggested that she did. I think we see Joi through K's eyes we want her to be more than what they're telling us she is. We (or I) find out at the same time that K finds out that he's (we've) been played.
Timber is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:47 PM
  #215  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,915
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
It was creepy and misogynist if the girl was really an ai trapped by her programming and confusing the issue of consent by writing the character to be in love with him in the end.

Kind of in the vein of last years movie Passengers with Jlaw and Chris Pratt...
I read it differently, there are all sorts of different levels of AI, in her case it's dynamic dialog but otherwise follows a "narrative". Not a fully developed being like the Replicants, and she isn't making her own decisions at any point. It's product, like an elaborate mostly linear decision tree. It's real to him until it's not.

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I think it was suggested that she did. I think we see Joi through K's eyes we want her to be more than what they're telling us she is. We (or I) find out at the same time that K finds out that he's (we've) been played.
I agree, it's all a pitch to "improve the experience" through upgrades. I just mean that she was doing what she was scripted to do.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-16-17 at 12:54 PM.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:56 PM
  #216  
2017 TOTY Winner
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I read it differently, there are all sorts of different levels of AI, in her case it's dynamic dialog but otherwise follows a "narrative". Not a fully developed being like the Replicants, and she isn't making her own decisions at any point. It's product, like an elaborate mostly linear decision tree. It's real to him until it's not.
Sorry, I should say it is creepy and misogynist IF you believe she was a special becoming-aware type of ai

I agree with your take though, she was just a product behaving normally.
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 01:10 PM
  #217  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,915
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Oh, yeah, in that case I'd agree.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 01:47 PM
  #218  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,273
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
I think Nick is right. People who believe that Joi was something different is really only basing this belief in hopeful fantasy--the movie does not support her being 'special' in addition to her programming.

- K bought her a licensed upgrade, the emmanator. She was behaving as programmed when using the device that let her out of the house.

- When Joi set up the sex party, she was working as designed-- she said 'hold still while I sync'. This seems like a reasonable function for a companion hologram. People say 'hey she called and set up a prostitute, this shows she cares'. Honestly it sounds like a paid referral bonus: Hey my computer knows I need new plumbing and called a really good plumber to come over and give me a quote!

- It's misogynist male fantasy: "Gee the sexy companion girl that I bought to please me, is REALLY into me and after she got to know me she TOTALLY would like nothing more than to please me with her own free will." Actually in retrospect, I don't think K ever 'set her free'. He broke her tracking antenna, but freedom would mean releasing her to the cloud? She was always in his pocket and always supported him unquestioningly.

Wallace company (striving to make money) had made millions of 'Joi clones'. I think it would be disaster if the company didn't make sure she could not in any way achieve independence. Think of all the guys she would dump! lol
And now that I think about it, the streetwalker seemed to know the drill. Either Joi explained it carefully as part of the negotiation, or the streetwalker had done it before.

I don't buy the "sparkle in the eyes" argument either. K got his big bladerunner 'retirement' bonus and spent at least part of it on an mobility upgrade for Joi. If she's simply preprogrammed, of course she acted all happy and excited when he bought an expensive Wallace brand device. If I were a designer for Wallace Corp, I'd have her do the same thing.

"Oh, Save Ferris, this is such a wonderful gift! Thank you so much!" Don't all women in the sex trade today act that way? I've never been with a prostitute, or been in the champagne room, or had an expensive mistress, but I gather it happens a lot.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 08:17 PM
  #219  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,033
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Wait so Im a creepy misogynist because I think that like the replicants the AI girlfriend is going beyond her created bounds in regards to her autonomy? Wat?

Also this is pretty good:

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man is offline  
Old 10-17-17, 07:05 AM
  #220  
2017 TOTY Winner
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Wait so Im a creepy misogynist because I think that like the replicants the AI girlfriend is going beyond her created bounds in regards to her autonomy? Wat?

Also this is pretty good:

Lol Good one

No, I meant, if she was a sentient being--had become a true AI--it would be a bit rapey that he bought her and kept her. As I saw it, she has no sense and is just a tool for lonely guys.
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 10-17-17, 01:56 PM
  #221  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,982
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Watched it last night on IMAX. I usually don't bother with it, but it was the best time since I knew it would go long.

But I walked out speechless for a couple minutes. I was with a couple of friends and they agreed. One of them had seen it already, and he said it was even better the second time.

This is a rare gem of a movie - the sequel that goes back to the franchise years (decades!) later and manages to reach almost the same heights as the original. I won't say it surpassed the original, but it is one of the few times you can truly say something is a love letter to its predecessor.

I'm certainly glad for the long run time and also the three short films, as there was just so much happening here and I was completely willing to stay in this world for hours and just soak it all in (and that says something when we're describing a hellscape like this).

I also thought for a moment there that Joi was becoming self-aware, but I also think her purpose in the story was to raise that question, if only for a moment, to make us see K choosing his own destiny instead of sticking with the pre-packaged entertainment.

And Ford was just perfect. About the time I started wondering when he would come in, a few minutes later he showed up, so that was a good bit of storytelling there (and I couldn't help but laugh when he made sure the label on the bottle of Johnny Walker Black was facing to the camera).

I was planning on buying the Bluray sight unseen as a companion to the original, but now I'll gladly buy it to own such a masterwork of cinema. As I said, I saw the IMAX version, and I'm hoping there's a Blu version of that to show off all that incredible design.


Also, didn't see anybody else point out this:

Police officer KD36-3.7 - "PKD" - Phillip K. Dick


----------------

Also, here's a write-up I did for a page I help out with:


milo bloom is offline  
Old 10-19-17, 06:27 PM
  #222  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,359
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Saw it today. Really enjoyed it. You all seemed to have a debate about the treatment of women. The original Blade Runner is itself cruel to women. Deckert hurts and humiliates Rachael, invites her to a burlesque club that's "not her kind of place", he chases a replicant woman down and shoots her in the back, in fact the only successful Blade Runner retiring that he does is women (Rachael shoots Leon). Oh and the love scene is...not a love scene.

The violence toward women is just one of a myriad other things duplicated in the sequel.

I've got questions about the ending: K says, "Everyone will think you drowned, so you can go see your daughter now." Are we really supposed to believe Deckert is safe? Wallace still wants him and the army of revolutionary replicants want him dead.

Also, I haven't gotten my head around the memory of the wooden horse. How did it get into K's head?

I want to also mention that one of the things I like most about the original, this sequel completely failed to do...film in actual Los Angeles locations!

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-19-17 at 07:19 PM.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 10-19-17, 07:30 PM
  #223  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,199
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Saw it today. Really enjoyed it. You all seemed to have a debate about the treatment of women. The original Blade Runner is itself cruel to women. Deckert hurts and humiliates Rachael, invites her to a burlesque club that's "not her kind of place", he chases a replicant woman down and shoots her in the back, in fact the only successful Blade Runner retiring that he does is women (Rachael shoots Leon). Oh and the love scene is...not a love scene.

The violence toward women is just one of a myriad other things duplicated in the sequel.

I've got questions about the ending: K says, "Everyone will think you drowned, so you can go see your daughter now." Are we really supposed to believe Deckert is safe? Wallace still wants him and the army of revolutionary replicants want him dead.

Also, I haven't gotten my head around the memory of the wooden horse. How did it get into K's head?

I want to also mention that one of the things I like most about the original, this sequel completely failed to do...film in actual Los Angeles locations!


To your first question-- who knows. The excuses I keep reading is that this was K's story, blah, blah, blah. They obviously had plans for a 3rd film, so there's no point in asking that. I've been asking since the fucking film premiered.

As far as the wooden horse -- Deckard's daughter was the best memory creator (subcontractor, whatever) and I'm sure she implanted them in K right when he was being created in the tube.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 10-19-17, 08:04 PM
  #224  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,359
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

As far as the wooden horse -- Deckard's daughter was the best memory creator (subcontractor, whatever) and I'm sure she implanted them in K right when he was being created in the tube.
Why would she do that to him at that time? Is she psychic? Is it just luck?

I think they successfully matched many aspects of the original, including building in a lot of ambiguity and story points to argue about.
Mabuse is offline  
Old 10-19-17, 09:08 PM
  #225  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,033
Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Maybe she wanted to give him something genuine rather than made up by her wholecloth? I dunno. Ill have to watch it more on home vid. Does anyone remember if she gave any indication that she knew K when he came to talk to her?

*Deckard
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.