Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.19%
39.29%
19.05%
5.95%
3.57%
2.38%
3.57%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 02-05-18, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
First we have the anxious excited anticipation, then the overwhelming raves, now the fashionable haters and the armchair critics picking it to pieces. It never fails...
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
It sucks that this film didn't do well because, despite my criticisms, it was awesome.
I did go a little overboard with the vitriol.
Old 02-06-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Not reading the spoilers because I haven't seen it yet, but I have noticed the trend continues here. First we have the anxious excited anticipation, then the overwhelming raves, now the fashionable haters and the armchair critics picking it to pieces. It never fails...
Not everyone rushes out to the theater to see movies. When it hits video of course you are going to have varying opinions on it. Those willing to spend movie money are the bigger fans so you usually always have high praise in the beginning. Then later when the rest of us catch up you get other ones.
Old 02-06-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never saw the first one - decided to watch that one first of course and while I couldn't believe how amazing the visuals were for 1982 (very impressive) - it just felt like there wasn't much a movie there. I watch the final cut by the way, I hear that's the best one. Rutger Hauer was excellent. Seems like they spent too much money on the effects and there just wasn't enough left to craft a better film.

Then I watched 2049 and absolutely loved it - thought it was an exceptional film and it did what the first one couldn't but it made me like the first a bit more as well.
Old 02-10-18, 04:26 PM
Banned

I really didn't care for seeing elderly Gaff. He seemed so odd and enigmatic in the original that it was jarring to just see him in a retirement home, talking normal.

There was no reason for Gaff to not talk normal and use his "street talk" with K here. The only reason he talked that way in the early parts of the original anyway is simply because of his animosity for Deckard. He did it just to annoy him.
Old 02-10-18, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Never saw the first one - decided to watch that one first of course and while I couldn't believe how amazing the visuals were for 1982 (very impressive) - it just felt like there wasn't much a movie there.

Watch it again.
Old 02-16-18, 09:26 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally saw this movie last night, I loved it. Watched the original the night before (had some trouble with the disc but finally saw the whole thing), then the 3 prologues, then BR2049. Some of the dialogue was difficult for me to hear (concert syndrome), but all in all I thought it was (to use a word used here previously) phenomenal. My wife had a hard time understanding what exactly was going on, said it was OK in the end, but I loved it. 4˝ stars from me.
Old 03-24-18, 07:38 PM

I'm a huge fan of the original '82 Blade Runner. I missed it in the theater when it was first released (too young), but have seen it multiple times since the early '90's. I also saw the 2007 cut theatrically, and it was one of my greatest theatrical movie experiences (though I preferred the '82 cut, with the HF voice-over).

So, I wasn't sure what I would think of BR 2049, but decided to give it a chance. I just saw it last week on Blu...and felt it was an amazing sci-fi film. It both paid homage to the original & at the same time has a completely unique story. I liked how it was a sequel to the original, but at the same time wasn't a re-make (like some sequels are).

Visually, this film was also amazing & sublime...and, like the original, does an incredible job in fully creating an obviously futuristic & grim world - with some familiarity to our current one.

Making the Ryan Gosling character in 2049 a replicant himself - who is hunting down & destroying other replicants - is quite compelling.

Going along with this, the theme of what it means to be human was the underlying element in both BR films. I.e., can humans create something that has just as much - or more - human emotion/humanity/empathy than humans themselves?! This has been examined in other sci-fi films/TV series over the years (2001 ASO, the Terminator movies, AI: Artificial Intelligence, The re-imagined Battlestar Galactica TV series, etc.) but is explored very differently in these BR movies.

The idea that replicants can breed & have children - just like humans - was an interesting idea as well. And, that being the case what truly separates the robots from the humans?! Nothing (or almost nothing) as far as I can tell.

Also, I thought it was clever to try to sync up (as much as possible) the original to the 2049 sequel in "real time". I.e., the original BR took place in 2019, and 2049 is 30 years later. In "real time", the original came out in '82, and 2049 was released in 2017 - so, 35 years later - which isn't that far off (i.e., it's not like it's ten years off).

What's still unclear to me at the end of the film is whether Deckard (Ford) and Gaff (Edward James Olmos) were replicants. Gaff was in a nursing home & had aged appropriately - as had Deckard. However, we did see older replicants in BR 2049 - i.e. the Dave Bautista character in the beginning of the film.

In the original '82 BR film it was slightly implied that both Gaff & Deckard were, given that their eyes shone a certain way in some scenes - like the eyes of the replicants.

I especially thought Deckard was a replicant in the '82 film after the scene when Rachel (Sean Young) asked him if he had ever taken the Voight-Kampt?! test himself, and he didn't answer.
Old 03-26-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Saw this a few weeks ago. And I loved it.
Old 03-26-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I'm a huge fan of the original '82 Blade Runner. I missed it in the theater when it was first released (too young), but have seen it multiple times since the early '90's. I also saw the 2007 cut theatrically, and it was one of my greatest theatrical movie experiences (though I preferred the '82 cut, with the HF voice-over).

So, I wasn't sure what I would think of BR 2049, but decided to give it a chance. I just saw it last week on Blu...and felt it was an amazing sci-fi film. It both paid homage to the original & at the same time has a completely unique story. I liked how it was a sequel to the original, but at the same time wasn't a re-make (like some sequels are).

Visually, this film was also amazing & sublime...and, like the original, does an incredible job in fully creating an obviously futuristic & grim world - with some familiarity to our current one.

Making the Ryan Gosling character in 2049 a replicant himself - who is hunting down & destroying other replicants - is quite compelling.

Going along with this, the theme of what it means to be human was the underlying element in both BR films. I.e., can humans create something that has just as much - or more - human emotion/humanity/empathy than humans themselves?! This has been examined in other sci-fi films/TV series over the years (2001 ASO, the Terminator movies, AI: Artificial Intelligence, The re-imagined Battlestar Galactica TV series, etc.) but is explored very differently in these BR movies.

The idea that replicants can breed & have children - just like humans - was an interesting idea as well. And, that being the case what truly separates the robots from the humans?! Nothing (or almost nothing) as far as I can tell.

Also, I thought it was clever to try to sync up (as much as possible) the original to the 2049 sequel in "real time". I.e., the original BR took place in 2019, and 2049 is 30 years later. In "real time", the original came out in '82, and 2049 was released in 2017 - so, 35 years later - which isn't that far off (i.e., it's not like it's ten years off).

What's still unclear to me at the end of the film is whether Deckard (Ford) and Gaff (Edward James Olmos) were replicants. Gaff was in a nursing home & had aged appropriately - as had Deckard. However, we did see older replicants in BR 2049 - i.e. the Dave Bautista character in the beginning of the film.

In the original '82 BR film it was slightly implied that both Gaff & Deckard were, given that their eyes shone a certain way in some scenes - like the eyes of the replicants.

I especially thought Deckard was a replicant in the '82 film after the scene when Rachel (Sean Young) asked him if he had ever taken the Voight-Kampt?! test himself, and he didn't answer.

Nice thoughts on both films although I had never considered the possibility of Gaff being a Replicant. The funny thing on Ford's eyes glowing is that he insists to this day that it was a mistake, that he stood in the wrong place and thus his eyes were set aglow, but the effect was intended only for Sean Young's character in the scene. But Ridley Scott uses it as proof that he always intended Deckard to be a Replicant (granted, there are other examples he uses as well, ones that clearly were not accidental but intentional).
Old 03-26-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Azor Ahai View Post
Watch it again.
You prove my point. Not much can be said about it because not much happens. Yes the whole "replicants are much more than mankind's creation" angle is nice but there just wasn't enough substance in the original.
Old 03-26-18, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
Nice thoughts on both films although I had never considered the possibility of Gaff being a Replicant. The funny thing on Ford's eyes glowing is that he insists to this day that it was a mistake, that he stood in the wrong place and thus his eyes were set aglow, but the effect was intended only for Sean Young's character in the scene. But Ridley Scott uses it as proof that he always intended Deckard to be a Replicant (granted, there are other examples he uses as well, ones that clearly were not accidental but intentional).
I actually prefer to believe that neither Gaff or Deckard (Ford) are replicants in either the original BR or BR: 2049. However, the eye(s) glowing in the original always threw me off.

Re: Deckard specifically, the idea of a human/non-replicant (Deckard) falling in love with a replicant (Rachel) in the '82 BR - and having the love be returned - is a lot more interesting to me thematically than two replicants "falling in love" and having a child. I.e., if a replicant is so human-like that a human can fall in love with one - knowing that it's a replicant - and especially knowing that it will "expire" - then the replicant has a real capacity for love/emotion. And, hell, this is something that many actual humans aren't even capable of.

In essence, the poignancy/emotional aspect of Deckard & Rachel's relationship (as seen in the '82 film) loses some of it's relevance if both are replicants - at least to me. I.e., to me it's more interesting if Deckard is human & knows she's a replicant - and still falls in love with her. So, I prefer to believe that he's not a replicant - unless/until proven otherwise.

Last edited by TheDude; 03-26-18 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with you that it makes a stronger story for Deckard to not be a Replicant (and Ford agrees). Also makes the ending stronger, with the Roy Batty character shown as being "more human than human." Doesn't work as well thematically, to me, as "more human than another replicant."

As far as the eyes, the story is there was a light that was pointed at their eyes to create the glow effect and Ford inadvertently stepped into it on that take, the take Scott decided to use.
Old 03-26-18, 09:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

You prove my point. Not much can be said about it because not much happens. Yes the whole "replicants are much more than mankind's creation" angle is nice but there just wasn't enough substance in the original.
Really? Not enough substance? That and current aren’t exactly action packed blow up fests. You kind of really have to bring your brain and think about stuff. It’s deep and emotional and surreal and beautiful and engaging. I don’t think any facade to say otherwise...
Old 03-26-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I actually prefer to think that neither Gaff or Deckard (Ford) are replicants in either the original BR or BR: 2049. However, the eye(s) glowing in the original always threw me off.

The effects excuse seems weak re: justifying why Deckard's eyes "glowed" in the '82 film.

Re: Deckard specifically, the idea of a human/non-replicant (Deckard) falling in love with a replicant (Rachel) in the '82 BR - and having the love be returned - is a lot more interesting to me thematically than two replicants "falling in love" and having a child. I.e., if a replicant is so human-like that a human can fall in love with one - knowing that it's a replicant - and especially knowing that it will "expire" - then the replicant has a real capacity for love/emotion. And, hell, this is something that many actual humans aren't even capable of.

In essence, the poignancy/emotional aspect of Deckard & Rachel's relationship (as seen in the '82 film) loses some of it's relevance if both are replicants - at least to me. I.e., to me it's more interesting if Deckard is human & knows she's a replicant - and still falls in love with her. So, I prefer to believe that he's not a replicant - unless/until proven otherwise.
All of this!
Old 03-26-18, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with TheDude as well.

Except, in my interpretation of the story, Rachel doesn't return Deckard's love. She's just doing going along with it so she has someone there to protect her from being "retired."
Old 03-27-18, 06:19 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This...
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Really? Not enough substance? That and current aren’t exactly action packed blow up fests. You kind of really have to bring your brain and think about stuff. It’s deep and emotional and surreal and beautiful and engaging. I don’t think any facade to say otherwise...
IMHO, both movies really do require that you think about the deeper meaning, they're definitely not movies where you shut your brain down and enjoy the spectacle. I really think that Blade Runner is one of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made, and BR2049 is pretty damned good too.
Old 03-27-18, 07:37 AM

I agree with TheDude as well.

Except, in my interpretation of the story, Rachel doesn't return Deckard's love. She's just doing going along with it so she has someone there to protect her from being "retired."
I'll buy this. The important thing here is that Deckard is in love with Rachel, a replicant (again, I still think Deckard is human). Whether not she returns his love is almost beside the point. To make an analogy, it's like women in "the real world" who date/marry guys just for their money.
Old 03-27-18, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Again, just like the other dude, you're not providing any detail as to why - You can't because it's just not that deep of a film. Yes, I get the meaning the film was going for, I do - but there just wasn't enough meat to the film to pull it off. The second half felt like an under-produced B movie.

"Not blow up fests" really dude? You're talking to me that way? You don' think I get that? I clearly gave 2049 5 stars because it is an exceptional film. May I add as well that the acting is better in 2049 also.
Old 03-27-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whilst i know that Scott has always said that Deckard is a replicant, i certainly agree with the poster that states its a more interesting story when he isn't one. I know that Rutger Hauer always says that he thinks the character is human, and i tend to go along with it. Before the new movie i always said to myself "If hes a replicant then why is he working as a Blade Runner and Gaff and Bryant treat him as a human. Also why educate him on what a Nexus 6 is? He's a Blade Runner....shouldn't he already know what it is? Thats like telling a veteran cop what a drug user looks like."
Old 03-27-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Before the new movie i always said to myself "If hes a replicant then why is he working as a Blade Runner and Gaff and Bryant treat him as a human[?]
Because working as a Blade Runner is dangerous and harrowing. Deckard's memories are based on a BR who retired from the job. Meanwhile, replicants are expendable. Better to use a replicant that thinks it's a human. And if it dies, just upload the same memories into a new model.

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Also why educate him on what a Nexus 6 is? He's a Blade Runner....shouldn't he already know what it is? Thats like telling a veteran cop what a drug user looks like."
Because he was retired, and Nexus 6 hadn't been seen on Earth before.
Old 03-27-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Because working as a Blade Runner is dangerous and harrowing. Deckard's memories are based on a BR who retired from the job. Meanwhile, replicants are expendable. Better to use a replicant that thinks it's a human. And if it dies, just upload the same memories into a new model.

Because he was retired, and Nexus 6 hadn't been seen on Earth before.
If you are in the “Deckard is a Replicant” camp, then THAT is what you wanted for a sequel — Deckard discovering he is Deckard 2.0. You could even use a proxy Blade Runner (Ryan Gosling) and have him discover he himself is a Replicant, thus connecting the dots back to Deckard. I’m not in that camp but I would have been OK with that story.

However, that’s not what we get. RG (I can’t even recall the character’s name) is a Blade Runner and knows he is a Replicant. BR2049 negates the entire Deckard as a Replicant theory.
Old 03-27-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
If you are in the “Deckard is a Replicant” camp, then THAT is what you wanted for a sequel — Deckard discovering he is Deckard 2.0...
Don't tell me what I wanted.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
BR2049 negates the entire Deckard as a Replicant theory.
Not entirely. Two replicants producing a child would still be controversial and possibly world changing, and one could argue that Wallace would want that even more, since he's intent on breeding repilicants.

Nothing in BR 2049 outright states that Deckard is/isn't a replicant, and for the purposes of the story, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-28-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is what you wanted ...

3 ...

2 ...

1 ...

Wake!

Old 03-28-18, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Deckard is/isn't a replicant is one of those intractable debates the internet is known for.
Blade Runner 2049 does nothing to sway the argument one way or another...nor should it.
Ultimately, it's up to the viewer what works or does not work for them dramatically.
Old 03-28-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.