Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help ID'ing a movie I saw a few years ago

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-29-17, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between 2009 and very late 2011, leading up to just 2012, I saw a film that's been stuck in my head since then.

I don't recall if it was a French, British or American movie. I don't recall the setting in the movie, but I want to say it was village like. Think like British villages and not necessarily old style villages from the boonies. The movie's main characters were a husband and wife, and their two children. A boy and and an older teen daughter. From what I remember, the husband and wife grow tired of each other and try to live separately for a while or swap bodies. Or the wife grows tired of the husband and lives away for some time. I don't recall the specifics. Or she left because he wasn't putting out when it came to sex.

In the movie, the dad ends up playing video games for weeks and smoking pot or using magic mushrooms or something. He becomes engrossed in the gaming that he's oblivious to what's happening around him. In the movie, the wife is enjoying her time being single or whatever. In the movie, the daughter takes advantage of her father's precarious mental state. The strongest memory I have of the film is that the son would often look out of his window at night and early morning to see his sister go in and out of their yard through a wooden gate.

The movie was probably made sometime between 2005 and 2011. It was not Keeping Mum. It was also not Crazy Stupid Love or Stuck In Love. I've watched these back to back over the last week and they're nothing like what I remember.
Old 09-29-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts
Re: Need help ID'ing a movie I saw a few years ago

Wow, you are a demanding "member". Um, welcome to the forum, we're here to serve you.
Old 09-29-17, 10:31 AM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Sorry, I don't know the movie you mean.

I also don't know why when I tap on .Alex. to see his profile, it brings up the profile of banned member thing-fish24. That's weird.
Old 09-29-17, 10:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Members with special characters in their usernames get their links messed up for some reason. It's been an ongoing bug with the forum software.

(I don't know the movie either, sorry)
Old 09-29-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

.Alex. posts once every Haley's Comet about trying to find a movie. Look at his 4 other posts --- quite a contribution.
Old 09-29-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

You can manually enter his username to find his profile:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/members/.alex..html

He apparently pops up only to ask about movies he's forgotten the titles of:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?searchid=5383971
Old 09-29-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
He apparently pops up only to ask about movies he's forgotten the titles of:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?searchid=5383971
Has anyone ever identified any of the movies he asks about?
Old 09-29-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Has anyone ever identified any of the movies he asks about?
The first movie he asked about was "Noises Off".
Old 09-29-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Guys. He’s right here in the room. He can here you.
Old 09-29-17, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts

It's right here Ray. It's looking at me.

Old 09-30-17, 02:17 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Good Burger.
Old 09-30-17, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
It's right here Ray. It's looking at me.

"I think he can hear you Ray."

Seriously though, the description is too vague and contradictory. I tried looking up on IMDB movies that have "video games" in the plot descrption, but nothing matched:
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?plo...1&ref_=adv_prv

Here's a search of "body swap" movies:
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?key...ature,tv_movie
Old 09-30-17, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, based upon the spot-of description in the first two paragraphs, I was eagerly starting to type in "Crazy Stupid Love". So disappointed when it was ruled out at the end.
Old 09-30-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's Jack & Jill
Old 10-01-17, 02:44 AM

I don't use the net much and rarely post on forum type of sites. Sorry. I ended up remembering this site because it was the only one that could point me towards Noises Off several years ago. I've tried a few other sites and spent two weeks trawling through wikipedia to find something.

One thing I remembered this week but not sure of was that the studio/or whatever it's called credit scene at the beginning of the movie involved some kind of green island or something grassy/green. I don't know of any American studio that has an intro like that, which is what led me to believe it was either French or British. Unfortunately, it's not Happy Madison Production's intro.

I'm mostly focusing on romance, romantic comedies and comedies. The family film niche is pretty small so it was easy to get through those.

I use wiki to find out about new films and then watch the trailers, so I know I found it through wiki in the first place. I could be wrong about the production date, too.

The only clue I do have is when I was watching it I was eating a pretty unique cake I made a forum post on a fitness site. The timeline sets it in November 2011.

I want to say in the movie the dad buys his daughter a dress or starts some kind of relationship with his daughter's friend who throws herself at him. My memory is pretty fuzzy.

"I think he can hear you Ray."

Seriously though, the description is too vague and contradictory. I tried looking up on IMDB movies that have "video games" in the plot descrption, but nothing matched:

Here's a search of "body swap" movies:
Thanks. I'll have a look through those. Curious to know, how did you do that? Do you need to be a pro member on imdb?

I want to say there might be a swap scene between the daughter and mother due to a car accident. But when I searched that, I came up with a film made in the late 2000s starring David Duchovny, but I've seen that movie and it's nothing like what I recall.

Worst case scenario, I'll just watch a bunch of rom coms from the 2000s.

Originally Posted by Jack's Smirking
Well, based upon the spot-of description in the first two paragraphs, I was eagerly starting to type in "Crazy Stupid Love". So disappointed when it was ruled out at the end.
I did at first, too, because the young son in that movie is obsessed with that babysitter.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'm pretty sure it's Jack & Jill
I wish. Sandler's movies are pretty memorable if not painful to watch.

edit: I figured out the imdb keyword thing. I ran a query on "parents" and set it down to 1999-2012, and then I'm going to go through the genres. Unfortunately it looks like I can't refine the search into country or language, so there's a lot of foreign films coming up. Though given my lack of details, this might be good. Hopefully I can find it.

I figure with wiki, it could have been edited out and never relisted. Which isn't a stretch given the politics on wiki. Hopefully I can update this thread when I do find it. Anyways, thanks. I do appreciate any suggestions if you think of another movie other than what's been listed.

And I'll try to pop in from time to time to participate in other threads and try to freeload less.

Last edited by .Alex.; 10-01-17 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-01-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by .Alex.
One thing I remembered this week but not sure of was that the studio/or whatever it's called credit scene at the beginning of the movie involved some kind of green island or something grassy/green.
The Ladd Company has a green tree logo:

Not many movies though:
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0042559/?ref_=fn_al_co_2

Also, a company called Wrekin Hill Entertainment:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0317821/?ref_=fn_al_co_1

This thread has a lot of movie company logos:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268127

I used IMDB's advanced title search to try and narrow it down. It can also narrow it by country or language. It's free, but it's somewhat hidden on IMDB's site. Here's a link:
http://www.imdb.com/search/
Old 10-01-17, 12:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I want to say in the movie the dad buys his daughter a dress or starts some kind of relationship with his daughter's friend who throws herself at him. My memory is pretty fuzzy.
American Beauty maybe? It's not a perfect match but it shares some plot points with what you're describing.
Old 10-01-17, 09:51 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
American Beauty maybe? It's not a perfect match but it shares some plot points with what you're describing.
That's what I thought too.
Old 10-01-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Honestly, that description sounds exactly like an episode of American Dad where Stan and Francine start taking pills to stay up all night, Stan focuses all his energy on playing video games and Francine takes up marine biology only to leave Stan for a new life. Eh, there’s also the son and daughter in there too.

This must be it. You’re welcome.
Old 10-04-17, 02:18 AM

Didn't get a chance to go through much. I've got a cold and being in front of a computer makes my eyes sting. My memory is super fuzzy but I think I saw/rented it around the time Guarda came out with Don Cheedle and the Irish actor who had a prominent role in the movie.

Was there any movie where a mom and daughter switch lives after a car accident minus the David Duchovny movie that came out? I've been looking through various body swap lists but not finding anything quite like what I think occurred.

One detail that's hazy is that in the movie, the wife wanted to have sx but the husband wouldnt put out. Though I might be mixing it up with another movie.

Worst case, I'll go through every British actor's IMDB who is 30-55 and narrow it down from there.

Originally Posted by Groucho
No, but I can see why you would suggest it. I've seen it a few times, and it's heavy compared to the comedy movie I saw.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Honestly, that description sounds exactly like an episode of American Dad where Stan and Francine start taking pills to stay up all night, Stan focuses all his energy on playing video games and Francine takes up marine biology only to leave Stan for a new life. Eh, there’s also the son and daughter in there too.

This must be it. You’re welcome.
That would require me to have seen American dad while it aired. Never watched the show, Futurama or Family Guy.
Old 10-04-17, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My memory is super fuzzy but I think I saw/rented it around the time Guarda came out with Don Cheedle and the Irish actor who had a prominent role in the movie...
This sounds like The Guard, starring Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle, which went by the title O Guarda in Portuguese. That movie came out in 2011:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540133/...=tt_dt_dt#akas

That increases the date range significantly.
Old 10-05-17, 08:12 PM

This sounds like The Guard, starring Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle, which went by the title O Guarda in Portuguese. That movie came out in 2011:

That increases the date range significantly.
I don't quite follow, Jay. I did say I watched the movie in 2011, I never said it came out in 2005 or 2011. Unless I'm misreading your post.

As I said, my memory is hazy for that period. I watch a lot of movies, so it comes with the territory. The post I made in relation to that food item I ate was in November of 2011, however, I'm not sure if I watched it then or I had a memory of eating it earlier in the year. Therein lies the problem.

Right now I've come up with:

Rom-Com
Comedy
Romance
Romantic-Drama
Family Comedy
Family-Rom-Com

For French, German, English, Irish, Scottish movies.

Going through the IMDB list per your suggestion is proving to be better than Wikipedia. It does take some trickery to get a decent keywork in here and there.

I really wish there was a language selection in that search function you linked me to. It would break it down even more, making the task simpler.

The movie descriptions I've given are pretty vague, but that's what happens when six years pass by. I'm also going through TasteDive based on movies I know I saw around that period. TasteDive (formerly tastekid) was a service I used from 2007 to 2012 before relying on other recommendation engines. It wasn't as fancy then as it is today.

Fortunately, there's a lot of 'questionable' web interfaces out there to quickly go through a movie and see if it was the one. Alongside good, legitimate interfaces.

Thanks for the effort, I appreciate it!
Old 10-06-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really wish there was a language selection in that search function you linked me to. It would break it down even more, making the task simpler. !
The advanced title search has a language selection:
http://www.imdb.com/search/title
Old 10-16-17, 07:57 PM

The advanced title search has a language selection:

Thanks. I thought I posted an updated but wasn't sure. When I tried it out, it still brought up US movies. Either the language is used in those movies or it's listed because it's available in that language, dubbed.

I haven't really looked the last couple of weeks. I'm dealing with a cold and a bruised rib.
Old 10-16-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure its Roots

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.