DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Harry Knowles accused of sexual assault; AICN staffers leave (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/641516-harry-knowles-accused-sexual-assault%3B-aicn-staffers-leave.html)

Dan 09-26-17 11:10 AM

Re: Harry Knowles accused of sexual assault; AICN staffers leave

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 (Post 13165450)
Edited to add: I noticed Dan's post after mine went up and no...sending someone texts/emails about your "vienna sausage" does not count as sexual assault, harassment yes (and a lame form at that, but it still counts), but it is not physically assaulting a person.

I didn't say it was assault. But it's indicative of Knowles' behavior both online and offline. Plus, a prominent member of the film critic community sending that kind of message to anyone, let alone someone who is/was also in the community, is pretty fucked up. It's not forum members making jokes about banging hot actresses (Also gross, but whatever, this isn't about that), it's a message from one human to another; unwanted and unprovoked. Like I said... I just don't get what causes someone who isn't a 15 year old edgelord to do that kind of thing, but to brush it off as no big deal... I dunno man...

devilshalo 09-26-17 11:17 AM

From being fanboy to becoming a media influencer, why am I not surprised at this now? And I wonder how his wife feels? Never did understand how he got married to begin with. And lots of his "reviews" are laced with sexual innuendo.

milo bloom 09-26-17 11:23 AM

All the comment sections on AICN have been disabled on the articles. I'm sure those charming and delightful folks were being their usual selves.

The site used to be interesting to read, and some of the articles were fun, but better sites came along and it got left behind.

I hate these types of charges have to sit for so long, we need a society where, firstly: these types of things can be reported and investigated at once, and then secondly: these types of things stop happening.

Nesbit 09-26-17 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 13165458)
What does the accuser have to gain here if it’s not the truth?

Celebrity. This is her chance to make a big name for herself.

Giantrobo 09-26-17 11:46 AM

I <3 you guys but you movie folks are full of shit. :lol: If he was a Beloved Critic/Entertainment reporter you'd be calling the girl a whore and excusing any accusations of rape by him.

Dan 09-26-17 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nesbit (Post 13165494)

I assume you're joking but it makes me wonder... Do people still really believe this bullshit?

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13165502)
I <3 you guys but you movie folks are full of shit. :lol: If he was a Beloved Critic/Entertainment reporter you'd be calling the girl a whore and excusing any accusations of rape by him.

You might find that the type of folks that usually defend the guys accused of these actions haven't given their two cents yet. :)

MBoyd 09-26-17 11:52 AM

His wife may not care. There are a lot stories floating around on Twitter and Facebook. Tales of threesome requests at the Highball. Stories of him using a diaper in screenings so he didn’t have to get up. The diapers were later found on the bathroom floor.

It’s an ugly situation. I am not completely in love with the Drafthouse. In fact I have been critical of a lot of things over the years regarding food, theater design and the too cool for school attitude a lot of servers have. I continue to go back just for the phone policy. Although, it feels like I am probably just as disturbed by servers running food and drinks around.

If you want to scroll through all the comments from locals you can see Tim League’s Facebook and his former Mondo employee Tim Doyle’s Facebook.

Supermallet 09-26-17 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nesbit (Post 13165494)

You’ve got to be fucking kidding me. What woman wants to be known as a sexual assault victim? And going after Harry Knowles of all people 18 years after the incident?

Don’t forget she told the owners of the Alamo Drafthouse about it when it happened. If she was really seeking celebrity, why not go public back then, when Knowles was actually hot shit?

What a delusional comment.

Mabuse 09-26-17 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd (Post 13165508)
His wife may not care. There are a lot stories floating around on Twitter and Facebook. Tales of threesome requests at the Highball. Stories of him using a diaper in screenings so he didn’t have to get up. The diapers were later found on the bathroom floor.

It’s an ugly situation. I am not completely in love with the Drafthouse. In fact I have been critical of a lot of things over the years regarding food, theater design and the too cool for school attitude a lot of servers have. I continue to go back just for the phone policy. Although, it feels like I am probably just as disturbed by servers running food and drinks around.

If you want to scroll through all the comments from locals you can see Tim League’s Facebook and his former Mondo employee Tim Doyle’s Facebook.

I want to take a minute because this isn't brought up often enough. All these premium theaters with their $25 tickets and their fancy waiters, THE FUCKING WAITERS ARE THE BIGGEST DISTRACTION TO EVER ENTER A MOVIE AUDITORIUM!

I'm paying extra and some fuck with a tray is working the aisles?

islandclaws 09-26-17 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13165502)

Whoa, whoa, whoa... first things first: where are pics of her so we can decide if she is guilty or innocent?

Nesbit 09-26-17 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 13165519)
You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.

Yup

Inhumans99 09-26-17 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13165472)
I didn't say it was assault. But it's indicative of Knowles' behavior both online and offline. Plus, a prominent member of the film critic community sending that kind of message to anyone, let alone someone who is/was also in the community, is pretty fucked up. It's not forum members making jokes about banging hot actresses (Also gross, but whatever, this isn't about that), it's a message from one human to another; unwanted and unprovoked. Like I said... I just don't get what causes someone who isn't a 15 year old edgelord to do that kind of thing, but to brush it off as no big deal... I dunno man...

Okay, it was dangerous for me to put up my post...but if this is closer to a Jared Fogle situation where the slug is clearly guilty than nail his hide to the wall. I just feel that the court of public opinion is not where this should play out. It is effed up if you think I am trying to trash the accuser, but whatever I have thick skin if that is what folks think I am doing.

I can't help but think of Cosby and that he dealt with women who popped up to say he raped them many years ago...but proof was dug up to show it was not just a group of women who decided to randomly pick the last year or so to ruin Cosby's life. It was investigated and unfortunately he was indeed a creep that hid it well until a group of women decided to finally take back their agency.

Unwanted sexual texts to a woman, agreed that is disgusting and nasty behavior towards women, but what does it say about those in the industry if they believe that Harry is actually guilty of what he is accused of and that perhaps they could have put a stop to his behavior. I do not buy that they never had a chance to help Harry course correct back in the day, and from what I have just read on this thread it seems like the folks at the Alamo Drafthouse could have intervened to put a stop to his behavior, which rightfully tarnishes the rep of a beloved theater house (chain?).

E Unit 09-26-17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13165552)
I want to take a minute because this isn't brought up often enough. All these premium theaters with their $25 tickets and their fancy waiters, THE FUCKING WAITERS ARE THE BIGGEST DISTRACTION TO EVER ENTER A MOVIE AUDITORIUM!

It’s $8 a ticket to the Drafthouses in Austin, and that’s kind of why they’re big, they serve food and beer, but I get your point. Good thing there are those cheaper theaters that just show movies.

Dan 09-26-17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 (Post 13165612)
Okay, it was dangerous for me to put up my post...but if this is closer to a Jared Fogle situation where the slug is clearly guilty than nail his hide to the wall. I just feel that the court of public opinion is not where this should play out. It is effed up if you think I am trying to trash the accuser, but whatever I have thick skin if that is what folks think I am doing.

Not dangerous to say what you said, and I don't think you're trying to trash the accuser. My apologies if my response came off that way. I think it's fair to be somewhat suspicious about this stuff, in general.
But with Alamo cutting ties to him, the Austin Film Critics Association cutting ties, rumors about this stuff for years (yes, from other critics that aren't fond of him), it seems to me that we can trust that these things have happened. The thing with sexual harassment or assault is that it's damn near impossible to prove unless someone else witnessed it, and the guys who perpetrate it know this and use it to their advantage, and they know (and bet on) the women not being "perfect" victims.

I can't help but think of Cosby and that he dealt with women who popped up to say he raped them many years ago...but proof was dug up to show it was not just a group of woman who decided to randomly pick the last year or so to ruin Cosby's life. It was investigated and unfortunately he was indeed a creep that hid it well until a group of women decided to finally take back their agency.
Agreed.

Unwanted sexual texts to a woman, agreed that is disgusting and nasty behavior towards women, but what does it say about those in the industry if they believe that Harry actually is guilty of what he is accused of and they perhaps could have put a stop to his behavior. I do not buy that they never had a chance to help Harry course correct back in the day, and from what I have just read on this thread it seems like the folks at the Alamo Drafthouse could have intervened to put a stop to his behavior, which rightfully tarnishes the rep of a beloved theater house (chain?).
100% agree. This is really what I take issue with. Not that this shit happened (it happens everywhere, not just the film industry, and that doesn't excuse the behavior at all), but that the victims confided in someone who COULD make a difference, but those people either didn't know how to handle it, or didn't want to handle it.

It's really disappointing and frustrating because (generally, despite my complaints about their "Geek Culture for a profit" vibe) I kinda like the Drafthouse. I prefer it to every other theatre chain, hands down. But fuck... they need to get this shit figured out. At least the companies that run Comic Con and other comic expos seem to have their shit together with a zero tolerance policy on harassment. Then again, maybe they're just as bad underneath the floorboards as these guys, and it just hasn't been exposed yet.

TomOpus 09-26-17 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13165552)

Ever been in an Alamo Drafthouse?

Michael T Hudson 09-26-17 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd (Post 13165508)

I agree about the attitude. I was at the Lamar location last December. I walked up to the bar to get help with buying tickets myself on the screen. I was supposed to know to slide the card the opposite of the screen showed. Even asking the guy for help seemed like a bother. I like the seats and food better at moviehouse and eatery and much less of the attitude.

Michael T Hudson 09-26-17 03:16 PM

Last movie I saw was at Lakeline and total for two tickets was 24.36 when I ordered tickets online. So pricing is not out of wack.

Why So Blu? 09-26-17 03:19 PM

Did he really wear a diaper and piss and shit it so he wouldn't have to go the bathroom?

devilshalo 09-26-17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13165781)
Did he really wear a diaper and piss and shit it so he wouldn't have to go the bathroom?

Probably for those Butt-Numb-A-Thons where they played movies in a 24hr time frame.

MBoyd 09-26-17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13165781)

Hearsay obviously, but it was in one of the comments I think on Tim Doyle’s page. :shrug: The comments... I just can’t stop reading them. It’s voyeruristic. I know.

Supermallet 09-26-17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd (Post 13165796)
Hearsay obviously, but it was in one of the comments I think on Tim Doyle’s page. :shrug: The comments... I just can’t stop reading them. It’s voyeruristic. I know.

What page is this?

VHS? 09-26-17 04:09 PM

That Blade 2 review....he says Guillermo Del Toro and he are brothers. Reading that review, sounds more like he meant he and Victor Salva. What a creepy review. But looking at the guy, and I've seen him in person, he oozes creepy. Probably smell like piss as well.

MBoyd 09-26-17 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 13165811)
What page is this?

You can look up Timothy Paul Doyle on Facebook. He is a former employee who has been commenting on this stuff for a couple weeks now. He does screen prints here in Austin.

Supermallet 09-26-17 04:38 PM

Ah, I don’t use Facebook. Oh well!

Brack 09-26-17 09:02 PM

Never liked Knowles. His fawning over getting behind the scenes and then later reviewing The Faculty was enough for me to avoid the site all together. Not surprised by the allegations, and certainly not about the diaper wearing.