Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you still enjoy watching trailers before a movie?

Old 09-22-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you still enjoy watching trailers before a movie?

Watching Kingsman today I was thinking about this after I left. It seems like the trailers are becoming more of a pain than anything else now. We got 20 minutes of trailers before the movie and by the time I got out it was almost three hours later.

In this day and age with them being readily available on the internet it just seems like they are more of a pain than anything now.
Old 09-22-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Do you still enjoy watching trailers before a movie?

LOOOOVE Watching trailers before a film. To me that is a huge part of the movie going experience. I HATE missing trailers and just sitting down as the film starts.

I watch trailers on Hulu, Youtube, My phone. Love them. Shit, I'm old enough to remember when cartoons before movies were kinda normal so having a treat before the main film is normal to me. If they ever got rid of trailers I'd want something like film shorts, interactive audience games, or cartoons. NOT god damn long form ads.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-22-17 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-22-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Love seeing trailers on the big screen. But, sometimes, they can have too many.
Old 09-22-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes
Old 09-22-17, 03:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
LOOOOVE Watching trailers before a film. To me that a huge part of the movie going experience. I HATE missing trailers and just sitting down as the film starts.

I watch trailers on Hulu, Youtube, My phone. Love them. Shit, I'm old enough to remember when cartoons before movies were kinda normal so having a treat before the main film is normal to me. If they ever got rid of trailers I'd want something like film shorts, interactive audience games, or cartoons. NOT god damn long form ads.
Pretty much this.

Back in the day (70s) we still had theaters doing shorts, cartoons, and trailers before films. That "first half" of the evening was half the fun. I miss that, and wouldn't go to a theater if it was just the feature.
Old 09-22-17, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

LOOOOVE Watching trailers before a film. To me that a huge part of the movie going experience. I HATE missing trailers and just sitting down as the film starts.

Old 09-22-17, 04:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I like seeing trailers, for sure, even if it's just a reminder of all the garbage coming out.

I hate seeing cell phone ads, car ads, bank ads, and that kind of shit. That's pretty regular up in Canada... not as much across the border.
Old 09-22-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not so much into the trailers. There are way too many of them, and they look and are edited the same. Plus, they are so ubiquitous on the internet, they are no longer unique to the movie-going experience.
Old 09-22-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind them when there's not a bunch of them. Sometimes it feels like there's way too many now days though.
Old 09-22-17, 05:12 PM

I hate them. I see on average 2 (or more) movies per week at the theater. It gets old quick. Id rather not have to watch them at all.
Old 09-22-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only go to the theater once a month or so, which means I see a new batch of trailers every time. I like them.
Old 09-22-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOOOOVE Watching trailers before a film. To me that is a huge part of the movie going experience. I HATE missing trailers and just sitting down as the film starts.

Yep.
Old 09-22-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Trailers in theaters haven't been the same since they started keeping the lights up partway during them. Ironically a lot of recent trailers have had lots of cuts or fades to black, which are pretty much spoiled when the house lights are up.

I've found at home I like watching trailers AFTER a movie more than before- trailers on discs that play before the movie are kind of annoying but afterwards I'm happy to go through as many as possible. When watching a movie on Vudu, after it ends I usually look through the cast and crew and watch trailers for other movies they've been in and mark the ones that look worth watching. And the lights in my living room ALWAYS stay down!
Old 09-22-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

3 or 4 trailers? Yeah absolutely. The barrage of 10 needs to stop.
Old 09-22-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
3 or 4 trailers? Yeah absolutely. The barrage of 10 needs to stop.
Yeah. It seems like there used to be like five, maybe six tops. Now it feels like more and on top of it the theater usually adds commercials for Coke or whatever too before the trailers start. Then there's also usually one courtesy trailer for the the theater chain thanking you for coming or whatever. It feels like it goes on forever. I can pretty much be half an hour late and not miss anything.
Old 09-22-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Not anymore. Used to be 3 or 4. Now there are like 10. Ads 20+ minutes to a movie. Fuck that
Old 09-22-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Watching Kingsman today I was thinking about this after I left. It seems like the trailers are becoming more of a pain than anything else now. We got 20 minutes of trailers before the movie and by the time I got out it was almost three hours later.

In this day and age with them being readily available on the internet it just seems like they are more of a pain than anything now.
This is one of the myriad of reasons I won't go to the local AMC theaters in Springfield. I don't mind 20 minutes of trailers, but start them 20 minutes before showtime. The last two times I have gone to the local theaters it was 20 minutes of movie trailers PLUS 5 additional minutes (before) of non-movie commercials.

Back when I worked in theaters we timed the pre-show so that showtime actually meant showtime. People who were new to our theaters often showed up late and were ticked.
Starting any amount of pre-show (trailers, commercials, etc.) at showtime is absolutely ridiculous.

The other issue with trailers is just how they are cut these days. Generally they give away way too much or blatantly misrepresent the film.

I guess my answer is I used to enjoy them.
Old 09-22-17, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, but since I go to ArcLight Cinemas they only show 3 and on the rare occasion 4. When I got o Regal they show almost 10.
Old 09-22-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup! I personally love the ones they show before Cult Film Screenings at the Alamo Drafthouse.
Old 09-22-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I feel that some theatres definitely overload on trailers, every time I go to see a revival screening at the local classic movie house and there's no trailer, it feels like an incomplete experience.

And at the end of the day, one strong trailer can easily make me forget the other nine weak ones.
Old 09-22-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trailers used to make me want to see the movie. That's what they were designed for. But over the last 20 years are so, they turned into something very different: montages of noisy, frenetic bits of action with an endless series of fades accompanied by those ear-splitting "whoosh" sounds all to create something that tells you nothing helpful about the movie. And when you cram 6 or 7 or more of these before a movie, they completely destroy whatever mood I had from anticipating the movie I came there to see and my nerves are frazzled when the movie starts.

And when I go see Japanese animated features in Manhattan, films not necessarily made for children, they always run trailers for the latest Hollywood computer-animated films for children, e.g. CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS and the like.

And when you see an indie film in Manhattan you have to put up with trailers featuring Greta Gerwig as some kind of manic pixie dream girl or yuppies on vacation in a mountain lodge or foreign films about arranged marriages in tribal societies, middle-aged French women trying to find themselves, whimsical Italian chefs, anguished children of ex-Nazis, or coming-of-age tales set in Third World hellholes. And they all have the same chalk-screeching-on-a-blackboard music! I want to run screaming out of the theater.

The one time in recent memory where a trailer prompted me to see a movie was when the Angelika in Manhattan showed a trailer for the Japanese film, OUR LITTLE SISTER, last year before a showing of the documentary, DE PALMA. They played that movie a month later and I went to see it. Loved it. But this happens so rarely.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-22-17 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-22-17, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember when I'd video tape the Coming Attractions show on some cable channel and it was just 5 or 6 trailers of upcoming blockbusters.
Old 09-22-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Yup! I personally love the ones they show before Cult Film Screenings at the Alamo Drafthouse.
My favorite feature on Plex is the ability to auto run a trailer or two before you start a movie, either for new movies or other movies in the same folder. It gets the nostalgia up even though I've seen everything I have (obviously enough)
Old 09-22-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They show way too many before the films now. At least 20 minutes worth. I must be developing ADD because after the 4th or 5th one, I'm just bored and want the film to start.

Internet has ruined a lot of excitement to see the trailers. It seems most films I'd be interested in, I've already seen the trailer on Youtube. Sometimes I like seeing ones like a Star Wars trailer on the big screen more then a monitor so that's good. Also, some trailers for films a year away are new to me so that's good.
Old 09-22-17, 09:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Yes, but as others have said too long. My theaters are 20 minutes almost exactly. I can see them on YouTube but much better on big screen. But could be shortened...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.