Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still enjoy watching trailers before a movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you still enjoy watching trailers before a movie?

Old 09-26-17, 09:15 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Do you still enjoy watching trailers before a movie?

I used to like trailers, but I don’t think they’re as well made as they used to be even 10 to 15 years ago. It’s a miracle I’ll see one I like, even for a movie I know I’ll see upon release. The theaters lately add commercials, then the movie trailers, and it’s BAM, 30 minutes later and I’ve almost forgetten I’m there to see X movie.
Old 09-27-17, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It’s funny, I think the problem with most trailers now is they give too much away. I feel like I’ve seen the whole film by the time the trailer ends. I prefer more enigmatic trailers that leave you wondering what that movie might be.
Trailers in the Golden Age used to give away key plot points. You'd see major characters getting killed and you'd see who killed them. I don't see anything like that in modern trailers. The term "spoiler" wasn't even coined until late in the 20th century. Nobody thought that way once upon a time. As for myself, I like to know what a movie's about before I see it. I like to know what's in the movie before I decide whether I want to see it or not. More info helps me make that decision. Less info just leaves me baffled.
Old 09-27-17, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts

Golden Age trailers sound awful.
Old 07-25-18, 07:24 AM

Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
It went from 15 minutes, to 18 minutes now it's 20 plus minutes. I like them for the first 15 or so minutes then it just gets to be too much. I still say trailers should be shown before the posted start time then you can make the choice on how early you want to arrive.
And now for me, it’s climbing close to 25 minutes at AMCs. It is becoming unbearable. It shouldn’t be more than 10 mins max. With reserved seating it can help, sure. But I don’t want to be coming into a movie time late. Reserved seating also has problems on packed nights because some people still don’t get the concept and fight about seats.

With every trailer being on the internet, there is no need for excessive trailers before the movie anymore. Not to mention trailers run way too long and show way too much.
Old 07-25-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I went to see Incredibles 2 a few weeks ago, the first non-IMAX movie I've seen in the theaters in 2-3 years. I was shocked that the 3:30pm movie didn't start until 3:55 - 25 minutes of advertising crap (and yes, that's what trailers are for me - just extended ads). It just convinced me to not go again for several years, if ever.

(The only thing that prompted me to go in the first place was a 100-degree heat wave, combined with a power outage. Just trying to find myself some AC...)
Old 07-25-18, 08:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Swearing off theaters because of extra content that you don’t have to watch, or even be in the theater for? Ok......

I just ignore the ads if I want, and play on my phone.
Old 07-25-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't care about trailers in theaters now since it's so easy to find them in high quality online right away. I don't mind a couple, especially if they're relevant to the movie you're watching (like trailers for other comic movies in front of an MCU movie), but I do wish they cut down on the number plus the random ads like the Coke "short film" things that are always terrible.
Old 07-25-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 203 Posts

I love trailers but since starting moviepass I’ve been purposefully showing up 10 minutes or so after showtime to avoid seeing repeat trailers unless it’s a busy night and seating may be an issue. If it’s a smaller or dramatic film I’ll usually show up on time as they can have a set of trailers I haven’t seen before.
Old 07-25-18, 08:45 PM

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Nope. Not anymore. I'd rather have that 20-25 minutes for other things. Like that I don't always have to be exactly on time but wish it was more clear when to actually show up.
Old 07-25-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,719 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Isn't that how the theaters get a lot of their income to survive? The trailers (like any ad) are paid advertising from the studios.
Old 07-25-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Only if it's 3-4 like they do at my local ArcLight.
Old 07-25-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Isn't that how the theaters get a lot of their income to survive? The trailers (like any ad) are paid advertising from the studios.
This older article from 2010 mentions that the studio for the film you're watching typically gets to pick two of the trailers, which is usually consistent across all screenings of that film:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...s_to_show.html

The article says that for trailers, the theaters don't typically get paid, although now that they're tagging on more, they might be.
Old 07-25-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,283 Likes on 2,110 Posts

I still love trailers.

Part of me wishes we lived in a world where you could only see trailers at the theater - no online trailers, no trailer for a trailer nonsense, etc. There used to be something special, pre-internet, about sitting in a dark theater and wondering just what movie the trailer you were currently watching was for; and something special about realizing the movie was something you were REALLY looking forward to that you had no idea was even being made.
Old 07-25-18, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm going to have to say no, it's not like they are not widely available online anyways. When it feels like they go on for 15-20 minutes before the movie its become a problem. There should only be 3-4 trailers shown before a movie at max.
Old 07-25-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

One reason I like Alamo Drafthouse. A fun pre-movie show and then no more than 4 trailers.
Old 07-25-18, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I still love trailers.

Part of me wishes we lived in a world where you could only see trailers at the theater - no online trailers, no trailer for a trailer nonsense, etc. There used to be something special, pre-internet, about sitting in a dark theater and wondering just what movie the trailer you were currently watching was for; and something special about realizing the movie was something you were REALLY looking forward to that you had no idea was even being made.
Well, we're probably not ever going back to that. Trailers are publicity, and putting them on Youtube is essentially free publicity that a lot more people can view. Anyway, it's not like trailers weren't available on TV prior to the internet. At the least, you'd get the shorter TV ads closer to release. But there were also occasionally full trailers, especially on entertainment shows like ET.

I remember Comedy Central running the full red-band trailer for Fargo as a commercial prior to that film's release (why that trailer was red-banded is still a mystery to me):

The E! channel had a show called Coming Attractions that just ran trailers early in that channel's life. I remember repeatedly watching the Strange Days teaser on that show:

Even before then, trailers were tagged onto the beginning of VHS tapes.

I remember when Apple's Quicktime site was the best place to view trailers online. Of course, you had to actually download the file. I'd download the high quality version, which could take 5-10x longer than to watch it. I still have the original QT MOV file of the Phantom Menace trailer from 1999.

Youtube made it even easier to watch trailers on demand, embed them in discussion threads here, comment on them, etc. The "5 second ad skip preview before the actual trailer" format that's starting to be used on Youtube is a bit annoying, but I do think there's advantages to everyone being able to view a new trailer as it drops and comment on it, instead of only having comments from people who saw it in a theater that weekend.
Old 07-25-18, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

^I was just about to post that Strange Days trailer.
I'd be less hostile towards trailers if they could change the clichés that all trailers have these days (Opening deep bass boom,Blackouts, slowed-down Pop/R&B cover song) Bring back the teasers of the lead actor just talking to the crowd. Hell, even Howard The Duck had one of those--Courtesy of Lea Thompson.
Old 07-26-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
One reason I like Alamo Drafthouse. A fun pre-movie show and then no more than 4 trailers.
I never really payed attention to how many trailers they run but your right its only a few and the preshow is always fun.
Old 07-26-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's easy to not notice when it seems normal. But when you have an endless parade of trailers, it's very annoying. I wish there was a vocal organization to call a boycott of concessions at AMC until they start reducing trailers instead of showing more and more.
Old 07-26-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^I was just about to post that Strange Days trailer.
I'd be less hostile towards trailers if they could change the clichés that all trailers have these days (Opening deep bass boom,Blackouts, slowed-down Pop/R&B cover song) Bring back the teasers of the lead actor just talking to the crowd. Hell, even Howard The Duck had one of those--Courtesy of Lea Thompson.
I think that Strange Days teaser is one of the best teasers ever, and actually better than the movie it teases.

I feel like trailers tend to have trends, with most trailers made around the same time having a similar style, and it takes a mold-breaking trailer, or just one really popular, to introduce a new trend that other trailers follow. For example, I think Inception's trailer was the once that started the "deep bass boom" trend.

But I think that the majority of trailers have always been sort of weak and samey-samey. I remember growing up that most trailers had a narrator, typically one of 4 "movie voice" guys. Nowadays they tend to just overlay some of the expository dialogue from the film in the appropriate spot. We tend to only remember the stand-outs.

As for teasers where actors in character, or even not, speak directly to the audience we often a result of them simply having not shot enough footage to make a more traditional trailer.

A recent article I read about making movie trailers reveals that nowadays they sometimes even frontload the trailer shots in the production so they can be run through post/FX in time to make it into the trailer.
https://www.theringer.com/movies/201...pixar-how-made
Given how trailers have exploded in popularity due to streaming and YouTube, Waterson also notes how studios have rejiggered their shooting schedules to front-load them with “trailer moments.” “For the first two weeks of Avengers, we purposefully shot a crazy amount of stuff because they were already thinking about Comic-Con the next year,” Waterson says. “They’re like, ‘It’s nine months for visual effects. We gotta get this in the can!’”
Still, some of the "speak directly to the audience" trailers still exist, but usually as online-only "viral videos." Deadpool 1 & 2 had a lot of these types of videos.

There's a separate thread that lists trailers that have footage that was shot/made exclusively for the trailer:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...-trailers.html
Old 07-26-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's easy to not notice when it seems normal. But when you have an endless parade of trailers, it's very annoying. I wish there was a vocal organization to call a boycott of concessions at AMC until they start reducing trailers instead of showing more and more.
There's a fancy new AMC about 2 miles from my apartment. I love the reclining seats but the prices are crazy along with the amount of commercials. Forget about purchasing popcorn/soda....horribly overpriced. I still love all the trailers,though.
Old 07-26-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of my favorite parts of San Diego Comic-Con was "Trailer Park." All the new trailers shown during movie panels would be shown back to back. It was usually on Sunday. One time Quinton Tarantino surprised us to show the trailer he cut for Kill Bill. We were, at that time, the only ones outside of Austin to see it.
Old 07-26-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

At least in the days of film, theaters normally didn't get paid to show trailers. It was customary to have one trailer from the studio printed on reel 1 prior to the start of the movie, so that the trailer was essentially treated as part of the movie and guaranteed to be shown with it. Theaters that had their own "Feature Presentation" snipes and such still spliced those in between though. By the 90s a few other trailers from the same studio were shipped in the film cans with movies, and later trailers from other studios were included also.

My personal rule was to have only TWO trailers, not counting the attached one, on every movie. Usually I'd just pick from the ones included with the prints, but later on the theater home offices would send out weekly lists of all the trailers they wanted played with every movie. I was the only one who kept trailers updated also- when movies played for a while the trailers would stay the same, but I removed and changed the ones for movies that had already come out- I felt it was stupid to show a trailer saying "Coming Soon" when the movie was already out.

There was ONE instance I remember of a studio paying to have a trailer run- Sony paid Regal Cinemas to show the trailer for "The Animal" with Rob Schneider on another studio's movie- I think it might've been The Mummy Returns but I honestly don't remember now. I was told to have that be the first trailer that played to differentiate it from the rest of the trailers that weren't being paid for.
Old 07-26-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,283 Likes on 2,110 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
And now for me, it’s climbing close to 25 minutes at AMCs. It is becoming unbearable. It shouldn’t be more than 10 mins max.
It seems impossible to me that some studio or large theater chain has never taken the time to do some sort of market research to determine that sweet spot for trailers. Is 4 trailers just right but at 5 you start to lose the audience? Do movie buffs feel they got shorted if they only show 3 trailers?

These are actually questions I’d like to know the answers to.

I get that it all comes down to money for these companies but if they start alienating their customers it’s not good for business either.
Old 07-27-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 286 Likes on 237 Posts

Ash already noted that in the past no one cared about trailers spoiling the hell out of the film they (the studio) were trying to get you to watch when it comes out, and heck, I learned years back when watching the trailers for The Killer and Hard Boiled (in this case after I had seen the films on DVD, Laserdisc, or VHS) that it is a thing that lots of Asian film trailers are (were) notorious for basically showing you the entire film in about 2 1/2 minutes.

The funny thing is that even though I had just seen Hard Boiled my view of the trailer after the film which highlights the cool warehouse fight and other scenes did not have me groaning that the trailer would have spoiled the film for me....it still got me pumped up and almost had me immediately re-watching the film I had just seen. A good trailer like the one for The Matrix can spoil or show some of the cooler bits in the film and still have me crazy eager to buy a ticket.

I would be crushed if theaters stopped showing trailers, so if putting up with 20 minutes of patrons please shut the hell up and turn of your damn cellphone during the presentation ads, a cutesy ad for Coke and popcorn, and 4-6 trailers that may be as long as 3-5 minutes (usually no more than 3 minutes) is the price for trailers not going away it is one I am more than willing to pay.

Oh and Ash, if the 4-6 trailers are all for Greta Gerwig manic pixie films I am still willing to pay that price.

Give me movie trailers or give me death!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.