Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Baby Driver (Wright, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Baby Driver (Wright, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
7.41%
25.93%
33.33%
18.52%
3.70%
3.70%
3.70%
1.85%
1.85%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 11:03 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Baby Driver" (Starring: Ansel Elgort, Jon Bernthal, Jon Hamm, Eiza Gonzαlez, Micah Howard, Lily James, Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx)

Release Date:
6/28/17

Rating:
R (for violence, action, and for some suggestive content and partial nudity.)

Running Time:
113m. (1h. 53m.)

Budget:
$40 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
After being coerced into working for a crime boss, a young getaway driver finds himself taking part in a heist doomed to fail.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.6 (3,041 votes as of 6/24/17)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:35 Rotten:00 (100% as of 6/24/17)

Metacritic:
84 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 6/24/17)

Trailer:

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-03-17 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-24-17, 07:41 PM

Re: Baby Driver (Wright, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/72170/baby-driver/
Old 06-27-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, sitting at 99% on RT with 71 fresh and only 1 rotten
Old 06-27-17, 11:09 PM

Hope to see this Saturday...
Old 06-28-17, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back. Loved it, but Wright definitely didn't land the ending.
Old 06-28-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

So looking forward to seeing this, totally in my wheelhouse. Will go Friday evening with the wife and my teenage daughter who loves 60s and 70s rock music and Tarantino movies. Think she'll dig it too.
Old 06-28-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I really enjoyed it. Hamm was really good. Soundtrack was great. I didn't have a problem with the ending at all.
Old 06-29-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Was he slow?

My favorite Wright film thus far.
Old 06-29-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I've seen this film twice now and I feel the same about it. It's very good but a little short of great. Count me in with the folks that weren't into the ending.

I had first seen the film about 3 weeks ago and it was fun to watch the film again, catching things I didn't quite notice the first time around.

In one of the early scenes, when Baby is dancing and lip-syncing through the city, some of the lyrics are written or painted on walls or trees that he walks by as the specific lyrics hit on the song. Thought that was really great. I might have missed this due to where I sat during my first viewing.
Old 06-29-17, 11:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Saw this tonight and quite enjoyed it. Music was great. Everyone was good, I just didn't care for the story or lack there of, and the ending with one of the characters seemed a bit out of character, but whatever. I can see myself buying it on home video. Suprised this had a Dolby Cinema release; the Atmos soundtrack was superb though.
Old 07-01-17, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Saw it, loved it. Incredible filmmaking, action was fantastic, actors were obviously having a blast.

Also no problems with the ending - perfect way to wrap it up.
Old 07-01-17, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I liked it a lot. It was well shot and the music was great.
I did have a problem with the ending :
Spoiler:
If you drive the Getaway car of a crime where a murder was committed, you are guilty of murder -- not Accessory to Murder, MURDER. If you drove away with folks who killed one cop, you are never seeing the light of day again, and yet Baby gets out in 5 because he gave an old lady her purse back and was a nice caregiver to an old man? There is suspension of disbelief and then there is whatever the hell that was. Shoulda just let them drive away instead.

I'm trying to not let it sour the whole experience which was, for the most part a heck of a fun ride. But it's a little hard to get over for me.
Old 07-01-17, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I liked this movie. It was fun, but it really felt like a movie that's been done a million times. It didn't feel very fresh. Wright really loves Quentin Tarantino. Also, I didn't really buy Foxx, Hamm and that chick as the gangsters they were supposed to be. The car chases were awesome though. Anyways it was good, but nowhere near great. 7/10. As far as stylish crime movies go I'd recommend Free Fire from earlier this year over this.
Old 07-01-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Suprised this had a Dolby Cinema release; the Atmos soundtrack was superb though.
What's so surprising with an action movie getting released in Dolby Cinema?
Old 07-01-17, 07:38 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lara Means
What's so surprising with an action movie getting released in Dolby Cinema?
Perhaps it shouldn't have been, but it was a perfect storm with Transformers underperforming the week prior. Had it not, I wouldn't have gotten Baby Driver at my localish Dolby Cinema. And Baby Driver is nothing like most Dolby Cinema films that have been released this year; they're mostly comic book movies and what not.
Old 07-01-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I liked it a lot. It was well shot and the music was great.
I did have a problem with the ending :
Spoiler:
If you drive the Getaway car of a crime where a murder was committed, you are guilty of murder -- not Accessory to Murder, MURDER. If you drove away with folks who killed one cop, you are never seeing the light of day again, and yet Baby gets out in 5 because he gave an old lady her purse back and was a nice caregiver to an old man? There is suspension of disbelief and then there is whatever the hell that was. Shoulda just let them drive away instead.

I'm trying to not let it sour the whole experience which was, for the most part a heck of a fun ride. But it's a little hard to get over for me.
Spoiler:

He got 25 years but was eligible for parole in 5. That doesn't seem all that odd, especially since not only did he do the things you mentioned, but he killed the bad guys too. Plus he never set foot in any of the heist sites. And there was the element of being forced to work for Doc.

If Buddy had survived and got that sentence. I'd agree with you. But this way he did his time and didn't have to worry about running the rest of his life.
Old 07-01-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just back from seeing it, not writing a full-blown review yet, but the movie had me grinning ear to ear for most of it. Loved just about all of it, I adored the way pretty much everything was set to the soundtrack of the kid's life, down to the way the gun fire was synced with the music playing at the time. Baby's very sweet relationship with Debora, and the way he cared for his foster dad really gave this movie a lot of heart. Even the soft spot Doc had for Baby as touching. Jamie Foxx's Bats character was my least favorite part of the movie.

Spoiler:
I loved the happy ending for Baby and Debora, as well. Parole was plausible, the postal worker testified on his behalf, as well. His actions likely saved her life.
Old 07-01-17, 02:17 PM

Baby Driver...excellent, just excellent. ranks distant 2nd of Wright films to Shaun of the Dead, of course. the action, the romance, the tension, the choreography of the driving and stunts. just very well done. everyone played their parts perfectly and some unexpected things happen. just plain fun!

Old 07-01-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Absolutely loved the first half, felt like the second half went a little too conventional. Still really liked it.

It's the ultimate ode to driving around with the stereo blasting.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-01-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-01-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Baby Driver (R) - In the midst of vehicular mayhem and great music is a terrific movie with a lot of heart

You may not recognize director Edgar Wright’s name, but you know at least a few of his movies. He’s the brains behind Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World’s End, and he brought the graphic novel Scott Pilgrim vs The World to the big screen. His movies all have a sense of fun and style, and his latest, Baby Driver, is no exception.

Baby Driver is a smart, snappy, occasionally funny, sometimes sweet action crime thriller that centers on the titular Baby (Ansel Elgort), a young man driving the getaway vehicles for a series of bank heists in order to pay off a debt to Doc (Kevin Spacey), a Fagin-like criminal mastermind who plots out each heist in meticulous detail. Baby doesn’t talk much, and constantly listens to music, either through ear buds or the radio, and the music is literally the soundtrack for his life. When we hear Baby’s backstory, we are immediately sympathetic to his situation and begin rooting for him as he tries to get out from under Doc’s thumb.

In the meantime, Baby falls hard for pretty waitress Debora (Lily James) and she for him. They are kindred souls, with their love for music, and the desire to hit the open road to live life on their own terms. Their relationship, and Baby’s caring relationship with the elderly deaf black man Joseph (C.J. Jones), form the heart of this movie, and it is easy to see Baby’s innate goodness, despite the world he works in.

It’s a world filled with dangerous, trigger-happy thugs like Bats (Jamie Foxx in an especially unlikable role), and husband/wife couple Buddy (Jon Hamm) and Darling (Eiza Gonzalez). The violence in the film ratchets up as this particular crew prepares for a heist on a post office. Baby is faced with an impossible situation, and his concern for keeping Debora and Joseph safe outweigh everything else.

Baby Driver is a movie designed to get your toes to tapping even as you are sitting on the edge of your seat during the incredible car stunts and shoot-outs. When music is playing, everything on screen is in sync with the soundtrack, from gunshots, right down to drops of rain, windshield wipers, and that beep cars make when the doors are left open. The opening scene set to John Spencer Blues Explosion’s “Bellbottoms”, a shoot-out synced to “Tequila”, and an especially exciting action sequence choreographed to Queen’s “Brighton Rock” are stand-outs.

I really, really liked Baby Driver a lot. It had everything I was looking for in this type of film, and I was thoroughly entertained. I give Baby Driver 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers, and will definitely be seeing it again.

NOTES FOR PARENTS: Baby Driver is rated R for language and violence. The F bomb is used a few times, along with other swearing. There is NO sexual content outside of some kissing. Almost all of the violence is gun-related, mainly during shoot-outs between the heist crew and the police, and during an arms sale that goes south. After a heist, an armored-car guard is shown on the ground bleeding from a head shot. A body is shown briefly in a trunk. A body is run over twice. There are a few car crashes shown but no one is seriously hurt from these crashes until the last act of the movie.

There are NO after-credits scene.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 07-01-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this today with the folks in tow. Surprisingly, all three of us liked it. I wasn't surprised that I did, but my parents can be fickle some times. Guess it was the music. Loved the work of all actors except Foxx. He overdid the asshole bit to extremes. Hamm was great as the bad guy who refused to die. What's more, he actually had legit motivation for his actions. Only issue, like others, was the ending. I am wondering if maybe we are meant to think it was a fantasy inside of Baby's head.
Old 07-01-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it was all in his head. Mostly because of the car.
Old 07-01-17, 07:47 PM

i'm less cynical, i think it all worked out in the end. Wright is known for that (giving some hope)...
Old 07-02-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Edgar Wright makes his own films. Baby Driver fits alongside all of his others.

His movies aren't slick and polished. There isn't a consistent pace. The plot progresses in unexpected ways. I don't know how else to deconstruct his style. He always finds something unique. I get the feeling that, if he couldn't give us something new, he wouldn't give us anything at all.
Old 07-02-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Edgar Wright makes his own films. Baby Driver fits alongside all of his others.

His movies aren't slick and polished. There isn't a consistent pace. The plot progresses in unexpected ways. I don't know how else to deconstruct his style. He always finds something unique. I get the feeling that, if he couldn't give us something new, he wouldn't give us anything at all.
Both this and Scott Pilgrim were very slick and polished imo. Pilgrim had his most consistent pace.

You could sense his fingerprints in Ant-man, but the direction was disappointingly flat for an otherwise enjoyable superhero romp. But like you said, if Marvel wasn't going to let him do it his way, he wasn't going to do it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.