Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Gastone Moschin

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Gastone Moschin

Old 09-16-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
RIP Gastone Moschin

Gastone Moschin, an Italian character actor remembered by American audiences as Don Fanucci, a dapper crime boss gunned down by Vito Corleone in Francis Ford Coppola’s “The Godfather Part II,” died on Sept. 4 in Terni, in central Italy. He was 88.

His daughter, Emanuela Moschin, said the cause was kidney failure.

Mr. Moschin’s long career in Italian cinema began in the mid-1950s. He appeared in dozens of films by Italian directors, among them Bernardo Bertolucci (“The Conformist,” 1970) and Mario Monicelli (“My Friends,” 1975, and its sequels).

His turn as Don Fanucci, a gangster in 1920s New York, was an indelible part of a beloved film, released in 1974, that won six Academy Awards. (His first name was spelled “Gaston” in the credits, as it often was in English publications.)

In the film, Fanucci extracts tribute from seemingly everyone in Little Italy in Manhattan, including a young Vito Corleone, played by Robert De Niro. Corleone grudgingly pays Fanucci, then stalks him as Fanucci makes his way through the annual San Gennaro street festival.
Continue reading the main story

Corleone ambushes Fanucci outside his apartment, shooting him through a towel as fireworks mask the sound of gunshots. He then coldly snatches his money back. The murder is the first major power play in Corleone’s rise to the top of a Mafia syndicate.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/m...r-part-ii.html
Old 09-17-17, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: RIP Gastone Moschin

Damn all the mafia characters are dying

RIP
Old 09-17-17, 07:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

RIP Gastone.

Just watched Milano Calibre 9 about a week ago. Pretty good actor, although I just couldn't buy that Barbara Bouchet would go for a guy who looks like that.
Old 09-18-17, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

When GODFATHER II was shooting on E. 6th Street in Manhattan, tricked up to look like early 20th century NYC for the De Niro-as-Corleone scenes, I went down with a friend to watch. I got into conversation with an Italian extra (playing a mobster) who was really excited that Gastone Moschin was there. To the Italians on set, Moschin was the biggest star in the production. I believe I got a picture of Moschin as he passed in his white suit, coat and hat and it came out a little blurry. (The camera was a cheap instamatic. I may have that picture somewhere.) The extra I was talking to invited me into the shooting area to take a pic of him and some other Italian extras, incurring the intervention of a security guard who the extra then confronted--in character! I was caught in the middle. The guard eventually let me take one picture before I stepped back out of the set.

We saw Coppola and when De Niro passed us on the street, my friend called out to him, "I still say Johnny Boy's the best!," a reference to De Niro's MEAN STREETS character from the year before. De Niro grinned shyly and looked down.