Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Harry Dean Stanton at 91

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Harry Dean Stanton at 91

Old 09-16-17, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: RIP Harry Dean Stanton at 91

I love stumbling on him in old TV shows, such as a 1962 episode of "Gunsmoke" where he's one of three outlaw brothers, the others being George Kennedy and Michael Parks! (Parks died earlier this year.)

One of his best roles was as a washed-up junkie pop singer in L.A. who had once been part of a hit-making duo with Kris Kristofferson in CISCO PIKE (1971). I don't see that mentioned in any of the obits. One of Kristofferson's best parts, too. And one of the best films about the end of the '60s. The two of them later turned up in PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID (1973) and, 24 years later, the Steven Seagal Appalachian action movie, FIRE DOWN BELOW.

His film career really took off at the start of the '70s. I saw him in a lot of films back then. In addition to CISCO and PAT GARRETT, there was KELLY'S HEROES, DILLINGER, THE GODFATHER II, Monte Hellman's COCKFIGHTER, RANCHO DELUXE, FAREWELL MY LOVELY, 92 IN THE SHADE, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, STRAIGHT TIME and, of course, ALIEN. I saw RANCHO DELUXE and 92 IN THE SHADE on a double bill at a neighborhood theater in the Bronx. A bit heady for that crowd. I still haven't seen TWO LANE BLACKTOP.

Here's a shot of him from an episode of THE UNTOUCHABLES:

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-19-17 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
He was lucky to live to 91. Way up there.
From what I read this is a guy who lived a pretty hard life of smoking and drinking right up until the end.

Living proof that eating organic vegetables and jogging five miles a day can't replace luck and good genes!

Another couple of performances I liked were Christine and the deleted scenes in Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke.
Old 09-16-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

RIP Johnnie Farragut
Old 09-19-17, 01:23 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts