Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Critically Acclaimed movies which Bombed badly at the Box Office ?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-15-17, 09:08 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What are some movies which were critically acclaimed, everyone (well relatively) who saw the movie loved it, but just overall not many people saw it and it bombed badly at the box office ?
Old 09-15-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Critically Acclaimed movies which Bombed badly at the Box Office ?

First movie i thought of was The Shawshank Redemption. Everyone loves it, got nominated for tonnes of Oscars (and losing out on them all i think) and it bombed hard at the box office.
Old 09-15-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

There are lots of examples. The first thing that came to my mind was Citizen Kane. It's box office failure is pretty easy to explain, with the Hearst publishing empire doing everything it could to destroy the movie. Plus, it was so ahead of its time that it's easy to see it not playing well to the mass audience.

John Carpenters The Thing famously bombed on release because it had the misfortune is competing with ET and Blade Runner. Though at release the critical praise wasn't anywhere near as universal as it is now.

Most cult movie classics are the definition of what you're looking for.

Last edited by brainee; 09-15-17 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Munich
Brazil
Children Of Men
Ed Wood
The Insider
Old 09-15-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

The Ed Norton Collection:
American History X
Fight Club
The People v. Larry Flint

Office Space
Dredd
Shawshank Redemption
Donnie Darko
Slither
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
The Thing ('82)

Citizen Kane

Last edited by RichC2; 09-15-17 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-15-17, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
John Carpenters The Thing famously bombed on release because it had the misfortune is competing with ET and Blade Runner.
Add Blade Runner with The Thing. Both had the problem of being downbeat and up against a family friendly kids movie that summer.
Old 09-15-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Hugo is 94% on RT, and it lost a bundle.
Old 09-15-17, 10:20 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I didnt know Shawshank redemption bombed, that's a shame
Old 09-15-17, 10:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 900 Likes on 761 Posts

i just remember them re-releasing during Oscar time and me and a friend went to see and needlesstosay, it's one of my favorite movies of all time. i can't think it had to have a high budget. i'm pretty sure it made it's production budget back and more...

yeah, just checked IMDb and it made it's $25 million budget back just here in states. home video, etc. much more...
Old 09-15-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Add Blade Runner with The Thing. Both had the problem of being downbeat and up against a family friendly kids movie that summer.
No doubt Bladerunner didn't do as well as the filmmakers hoped (Star Wars level box office), but I think it's an exaggeration to say it "bombed". It opened at #2 at the box office second only to the mighty ET and remained in the top ten for several weeks. A lot of people did go see it during its initial run.
Old 09-15-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a short list.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/59990...x-office-flops
Old 09-15-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The thing got slammed by critics and ET took up the buzz right before it's release. What a shame!
Old 09-15-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The thing got slammed by critics and ET took up the buzz right before it's release. What a shame!
It's funny for E.T. and all of its success at the time, it's a movie that, after 35 years, doesn't really have much of a fervent fan following.

Any old E.T. memorabilia such as lunchboxes, dolls, bubble-gum cards have no value on eBay. There are no high-profile E.T. conventions that I'm aware of.

And yet look at movies like Blade Runner and The Thing which came and went without much thought in 1982 that have enormous fan bases.
Old 09-15-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Metropolis.
Old 09-15-17, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
John Carpenters The Thing famously bombed on release because it had the misfortune is competing with ET and Blade Runner.

The Thing was by no means critically-acclaimed upon release. In fact it was nominated for a few Razzies that year. Blade Runner also had middling reviews.

--
Old 09-16-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Azor Ahai
The Thing was by no means critically-acclaimed upon release. In fact it was nominated for a few Razzies that year. Blade Runner also had middling reviews.

--
This is all true. When BLADE RUNNER was first released the mainstream and science fiction community (such as it was) gave it mixed reviews, with most of them calling it boring and dull. Quite frankly, I think it is now more overrated than it was underrated when it was first released, but that's a whole other argument.

I remember that THE THING got some savage reviews in my local papers and it's box office failure was no surprise to me at the time.
Old 09-16-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Fight Club is interesting in that its DVD release seems to have turned it into a classic. The movie opened to poor professional reviews (before the days of Rotten Tomatoes and its ilk) and did poorly at the box office for what was a Brad Pitt-led blockbuster.

Fight Club did phenomenal on DVD and home video, and it became one of the earliest examples of IMDB's user ratings changing the entire perception about a film. It's one of the first films the Internet "saved" from obscurity.
Old 09-16-17, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
It's funny for E.T. and all of its success at the time, it's a movie that, after 35 years, doesn't really have much of a fervent fan following.

Any old E.T. memorabilia such as lunchboxes, dolls, bubble-gum cards have no value on eBay. There are no high-profile E.T. conventions that I'm aware of.

And yet look at movies like Blade Runner and The Thing which came and went without much thought in 1982 that have enormous fan bases.
You've never been to Phone Home-Con?!

Old 09-17-17, 02:54 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I laughed a good minute on that image.
Old 09-17-17, 10:26 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner

That may be, but it's an extremely well made film that really holds up.
Old 09-17-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

For what it's worth, I saw E.T. in a theater when it came out, THE THING in a 42nd Street theater the following year (1983), and BLADE RUNNER on a reissue in 1984. I remember liking all three. I may have liked E.T., initially at least, the best of the three. I've seen THE THING a few times since then and BLADE RUNNER again when the Director's Cut played theatrically in 1992. I still have seen E.T. only once. I've never felt like revisiting it. Maybe it's the curmudgeon in me who's reluctant to spend any time with those Goddamned annoying kids again or that equally annoying alien.

Yet I watch new episodes of Pokémon every Saturday morning. Maybe I can only tolerate a limited amount of annoying kids and their freaky pets in my life?
Old 09-17-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

2007's Zodiac came out with 89% fresh and struggled for an audience. I think this would have been a bigger commercial success had it come out in October of that year rather than March. One of David Fincher's better movies.
Old 09-17-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
2007's Zodiac came out with 89% fresh and struggled for an audience. I think this would have been a bigger commercial success had it come out in October of that year rather than March. One of David Fincher's better movies.
IMO it's his best film.
Old 09-17-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
For what it's worth, I saw E.T. in a theater when it came out, THE THING in a 42nd Street theater the following year (1983), and BLADE RUNNER on a reissue in 1984. I remember liking all three. I may have liked E.T., initially at least, the best of the three. I've seen THE THING a few times since then and BLADE RUNNER again when the Director's Cut played theatrically in 1992. I still have seen E.T. only once. I've never felt like revisiting it. Maybe it's the curmudgeon in me who's reluctant to spend any time with those Goddamned annoying kids again or that equally annoying alien.

Yet I watch new episodes of Pokémon every Saturday morning. Maybe I can only tolerate a limited amount of annoying kids and their freaky pets in my life?
Maybe it's the different messages? The message of ET is that the universe is a wonderful place, but adults have forgotten it. The message of Pokemon is that dogfight tournaments are okay if they're animated.
Old 09-17-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I still have seen E.T. only once. I've never felt like revisiting it. Maybe it's the curmudgeon in me who's reluctant to spend any time with those Goddamned annoying kids again or that equally annoying alien.
Same here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.