Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Critically Acclaimed movies which Bombed badly at the Box Office ?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Critically Acclaimed movies which Bombed badly at the Box Office ?

Old 09-17-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Critically Acclaimed movies which Bombed badly at the Box Office ?

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Maybe it's the different messages? The message of ET is that the universe is a wonderful place, but adults have forgotten it. The message of Pokemon is that dogfight tournaments are okay if they're animated.

If the quality of the aliens who've actually landed here and interacted with humans (including our government) is any indication, the universe is actually a pretty horrible place.

Old 09-17-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe The Before Trilogy is the lowest grossing movie trilogy (theatrically released in English) of all time and is critically acclaimed.

Before Sunrise - 100% RT, $5.5M domestic
Before Sunset - 95% RT, $5.8M domestic
Before Midnight - 98% RT, $8.1M domestic

I don't know if they "bombed", per se, as I don't imagine their budgets were that high.

Last edited by Defiant1; 09-18-17 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-17-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 292 Likes on 217 Posts

Don't most of the majority of critically acclaimed movies do poorly at the box office. The Oscars were designed to get people to watch crap they wouldn't have otherwise just because some industry insiders voted on it for "best picture" or some other nonsense.
Old 09-17-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Don't most of the majority of critically acclaimed movies do poorly at the box office. The Oscars were designed to get people to watch crap they wouldn't have otherwise just because some industry insiders voted on it for "best picture" or some other nonsense.
That used to be the old model. A lot of movies that won Best Picture in the day would only get limited runs in New York and L.A. before or around Christmas time. The amount of nominations a movie received would determine just how large a release they would give the movie and it would happen sometime in mid February (this was when the Oscars were in late March). I kind of think this model would be a good one to return to today, but like you I no longer put much stock in the Oscars. Of course I still think critics are the best way to gauge whether or not a movie is any good, as I would hate to see stuff like Transformers movies get deemed the year's best movies just because a lot of people bought tickets .
Old 09-18-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
That's the more recent model. 90 years ago, the Oscars were designed to promote the movie industry and its efforts and give the industry a chance to pat itself on the back. Hollywood was fairly young back then and the studios were only beginning to develop their identities and house styles. The early Oscar ceremonies were held in a hotel banquet room and I believe guests were served dinner during the ceremony. The ceremonies weren't even broadcast on radio in their entirety until 1944.

Once upon a time, Best Picture winners were generally both critically acclaimed and big hits. Think GRAND HOTEL, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1935), THE GREAT ZIEGFELD, GONE WITH THE WIND, CASABLANCA, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, etc. The one odd choice from those years that I can think of is the 1933 winner, CAVALCADE, an exception that proved the rule. The first small, indie-style feature to win Best Picture was MARTY in 1955. It was released in July. Yet the following year, the Best Picture was a piece of all-star Hollywood fluff, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, beating out THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, GIANT, FRIENDLY PERSUASION and THE KING AND I, all large-scale productions. Another small b&w production, 12 ANGRY MEN, was nominated in 1957 but lost to THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI. The next atypical winner would be MIDNIGHT COWBOY in 1969, reflecting the pull of the counterculture on an industry that was still producing expensive white elephants like HELLO DOLLY.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-18-17 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-18-17, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts

Old 09-18-17, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That used to be the old model. A lot of movies that won Best Picture in the day would only get limited runs in New York and L.A. before or around Christmas time. The amount of nominations a movie received would determine just how large a release they would give the movie and it would happen sometime in mid February (this was when the Oscars were in late March). I kind of think this model would be a good one to return to today, but like you I no longer put much stock in the Oscars. Of course I still think critics are the best way to gauge whether or not a movie is any good, as I would hate to see stuff like Transformers movies get deemed the year's best movies just because a lot of people bought tickets .
I don't think their is a bias against box office hits. LOTR,The Kings Speech and Titanic swept up. I think it speaks to the top 20 hits or so every year are almost all comic book films,animated kids films and films that are part of a franchise. People more and more only go to see "event" and special effects over charecter and story based material. Films like like Goodfellas,Million Dollar Baby,Terms Of Endearment etc would have a hard time getting financed nowadays.
Old 09-18-17, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In recent years, a lot of the Oscar bait movies have done pretty well at the box office. For the most part, these movies have modest budgets, so they end up doing pretty well.

Argo back in 2012 was the last Best Picture winner to make 9-digit domestic box office.
Old 09-18-17, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure you can count Dazed and Confused as "bombing." As far as I know the movie never really got a true national release and just kinda made its way around a few theaters and cities at a time. It wasn't designed to be a major box office hit, it pretty much did about as well as it was going to.

Especially with the way it was marketed. The marketing team clearly had no idea what to do with it what with emphasizing the only "name" actress Milla Jovovich on the poster despite the fact that she is barely in it and I don't think she has more than ten lines of dialogue.