Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Red Sparrow (2018, D: Francis Lawrence) S: Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Red Sparrow (2018, D: Francis Lawrence) S: Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Red Sparrow (2018, D: Francis Lawrence) S: Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton

Originally Posted by MarkitZero

Sweetie, just stick to what you do semi-well pretending to be other people and making all your money to hide out in your mansion with your maid and fancy cars etc. Let the big kids handle the politics.
"Sweetie" huh? You probably feel bad about Harvey.
Old 02-20-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I can’t tell if this is going to be awesome or a complete pile of shit.
I agree. I have zero expectations for this and I would be watching it at home anyway.
Old 02-20-18, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
"Sweetie" huh? You probably feel bad about Harvey.
Ha! Nope
Old 02-20-18, 05:38 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eWtSEFGJDcI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-20-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Seems like this movie would have been better under the direction of someone like Paul Verhoeven. Doubt the reviews would be any better, but at least they could play up the trash cinema factor. I notice that both this movie and "Mother" are getting accolades for Lawrence's performance. I hope she and her agents don't think that hard R movies are the next logical step for her career. Doing something risque for its own sake is not a good thing.
Old 02-21-18, 09:40 PM
Banned

Most of the reviews are mixed. I'll wait for the iTunes release. Or longer.
Old 02-22-18, 07:38 AM
Banned

I think this one is gonna tank hard. And poor Jennifer needs a hit. Ya kinda knew it was on shaky ground when it gets released during the deadzone dumping ground month of March. It will be lucky to get close to maybe $10 mil, if that.
Old 02-22-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

FWIW, the first Hunger Games movie was released in March.
Old 02-22-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I was always going to see this movie on video and the early reviews have really cemented that decision.
Old 02-22-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkitZero
And poor Jennifer needs a hit.
Sarcastic? Because I think she's been doing fine.
Old 02-22-18, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Sarcastic? Because I think she's been doing fine.
If this tanks that will be 3 in a row. I mean Passengers didn't do awful, but they expected more for the $20mil paycheck they gave her.
Old 02-22-18, 11:53 AM
Banned

How many folks outside of this forum do you pro Red Sparrow fans know personally (home, work) that are excited to go see this, or have shown any desire to see it, or even know it exists?
Old 02-22-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
If this tanks that will be 3 in a row. I mean Passengers didn't do awful, but they expected more for the $20mil paycheck they gave her.
Eh, like you said Passengers was ok and mother! isn't exactly blockbuster material. My point was just that she's not exactly starving for a hit nor is it like her career is hurting.

Can't find budget info for Red Sparrow, but I don't think it's expected to be a monster hit either. Are there really "pro Red Sparrow" fans? I don't think anyone is acting like it's going to be big or amazing. Between the "sweetie" and "poor Jennifer" remarks, MarkitZero sounds like he's got a bone pick
Old 02-22-18, 12:09 PM

nor is it like her career is hurting.
Not yet it there isn't. But her giving up the X-Men franchise...taking a year off... and not having any real individual power at the BO isn't a great combo for the future. And this is coming from a fan. But she has enough money where can she just do what she wants and not give a fuck, which is nice.
Old 02-22-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

She's only taking off until one of the projects she has lined up is ready to go.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/19/jenn...-acting-break/
Old 02-22-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
Not yet it there isn't. But her giving up the X-Men franchise...taking a year off... and not having any real individual power at the BO isn't a great combo for the future. And this is coming from a fan. But she has enough money where can she just do what she wants and not give a fuck, which is nice.
I guess I don't see her being anywhere near that point; at least unless her openness and brashness starts really rubbing people the wrong way Maybe she peaked already as an Oscar winner and action franchise star, after X-Men and Hunger Games, but the performance of mother! or Red Sparrow aren't going to prevent her from finding work anytime soon in my opinion.
Old 02-22-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

This is the kind of movie that makes me glad I have MoviePass
Old 02-27-18, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mwbmis
She's only taking off until one of the projects she has lined up is ready to go.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/19/jenn...-acting-break/
I had to chuckle reading her comments (in Vanity Fair) saying she doesn't think it's good for celebs to talk about politics because it ruins their careers and causes all kinds of problem (and her fam doesn't like her talking politics) yet she is pretty much jumping into the political pool with both feet.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...-politics.html
Old 02-27-18, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Who fucking cares? American politics are a disaster right now, celebs can or can't say whatever they want like everyone else seems to.

This is holding steady in the low 60s, which isn't bad, but it does seem like Verhoeven would have been the more appropriate director, though he already covered similar ground with Black Book. Didn't realize he's 79.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-27-18 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-27-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Scott Mendelson reviewed it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#1bee0a6f4ce2
Review: Jennifer Lawrence's Refreshingly Adult 'Red Sparrow' Offers Lots Of Sex And Violence

The Box Office:

Red Sparrow is our latest entry in 2018’s most interesting game of “Do movie stars matter?” This time out, it’s Jennifer Lawrence as a Russian spy in a long, R-rated sex thriller/action drama that has little to offer to general audiences beyond the notion of Lawrence essentially acting out a Black Widow origin story. For the record, we’ve all made that comparison, but it’s not a criticism.

It’s a primal concept and if this movie is good it shouldn’t matter if it’s loosely like a different fictional character. After all, it’s not what the movie is about but how it’s about it. And sans a beloved IP, this one (based on Jason Matthews’ novel) is depending entirely on its top-billed star to make the sale.

Post-release online controversies notwithstanding, Lawrence and Chris Pratt powered Passengers to $300 million worldwide in late 2016, and Lawrence anchored Joy to $101m worldwide almost entirely by herself. mother! was never going to be a huge hit, but that’s the kind of artistically challenging “one for me” that you want to see from our would-be movie stars. Of course, this movie is much more of a grim European spy drama than a “Lawrence does 007” action spectacular.

The Review:

Red Sparrow is a grim piece of work. It is less an action thriller than a borderline erotic horror show, a cold-blooded and often vicious espionage drama that sustains itself through twists, turns and periodic bouts of uncommon onscreen cruelty. It’s absolutely a movie for adults, featuring the kind of frank sexual content and graphic violence that is barely possible in our PG-13, four-quadrant global blockbuster era. It’s an adult movie for grownups from a time when there was a readily available audience for such a thing. It’s also both way too long and mostly engrossing from start-to-finish.

I’ve talked a lot about 20th Century Fox setting themselves apart by releasing big or big-ish movies for adults. Well, this deeply cynical Jennifer Lawrence vehicle certainly qualifies. It’s not necessarily a “fun” flick, and no one is going to mistake it for a so-called female empowerment movie. But there is a real sense of danger and menace to the proceedings, and a real effort to craft a big-scale espionage drama sans any demands for franchise affinity or long-term brand. Warts and all, it’s just focused on being a good movie and a movie star showcase.

Lawrence’s descent into her own personal hell begins as her promising ballet career is cut short via a gruesome injury. With no way to support herself or her ill mother, Dominika Egorova is quickly recruited by her uncle, a powerful man (played with understated menace by Matthias Schoenaerts) who helps run the SVR, to partake in what is intended to be a one-time assignment. But things go very, very badly, and the former dancer is given the choice of a quiet death or enrollment in the “Sparrow School,” which trains young Russians in spy-craft with an emphasis on seduction.

Dominika may not make the best impression on her teacher (a delicious Charlotte Rampling), but her disobedience and lack of tact impress a few people on the food chain. So off she goes to Moscow to suss out a mole via an apparent seduction of a demoted CIA agent (Joel Edgerton). The movie then becomes a puzzle box, where the audience is kept on its toes in terms of whose side Dominika is on and if the CIA dude is getting to her. Jokes about Lawrence having to learn how to seduce dudes notwithstanding, the plot works.

Red Sparrow avoids certain tropes of this genre, as (for example) the relationship between the Russian spy and the CIA operative is not some great love story but merely two attractive people who eventually get sexually involved with each other. Sure, the film flirts with the whole “young Russian girl used as an unwilling pawn of the state is rescued by a do-gooder American spy” thing, but the movie doesn’t play that track at full volume. The picture remains relatively clinical about their alleged relationship, and that lack of condescension keeps us on our toes.

Director Francis Lawrence crafts an unapologetically “big” movie, offering lush production values, multiple locations, a sense of scale and a grown-up sensibility that was once taken for granted in mid-level studio pictures. Of course, the film’s “epic-ness” extends to its 140-minute running time, which is way too long for the story being told. And the film’s third act is padded out by more false endings than Return of the King and Point Break combined, even if the in-the-moment sequence mostly keep our attention. Red Sparrow is perhaps a bit too much of a good thing.

A tighter film may not have had the time for Mary Louise Parker’s delightful glorified cameo as a crooked (and heavily intoxicated) Congressional aide. I would have happily seen an entire film told from her point-of-view. It’s a great character turn from a veteran actress who has been underused since Weeds left the air. The rest of the cast (including Jeremy Irons) all relish the opportunity to dig into this kind of material outside of pay cable. The whole package is anchored by an uncommonly amoral movie star turn by one of the most famous actresses in the world.

Red Sparrow is a big, sprawling and unapologetically nasty spy drama, one more rooted in character, sex and violence than action beats. Lawrence is superb as a young woman both trying to take control of her own destiny and trying to determine what that would look like. I was continuously impressed by how unforgiving the film was toward all of its heroes and villains (this makes Salt look like Agent Cody Banks), as the movie’s brutality and frank sexuality, from a major studio and featuring a major female movie star, seems borderline courageous in our think piece era.

It’s too long, but it’s mostly pretty good and always watchable. Red Sparrow isn’t your friend and bless it for that.
I'll still see it but when it's on BD.
Old 02-27-18, 10:29 AM
Banned

When I heard JL's accent for this I had to laugh. Reminds me of Natasha froom Bullwinkle

Old 02-27-18, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

MarkitZero, you do seem to be obsessed over J Law, did she kick your puppy, refuse to attend your casting couch session, claim she will pass your script over to the right people but it has been months and crickets, what...genuinely curious why you seem to care so much about her? Is she an ex?
Old 02-27-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Between the "sweetie" and "poor Jennifer" remarks, MarkitZero sounds like he's got a bone pick
Sounds like Dragon Tattoo reinvented himself.
Old 02-28-18, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Nice piece in The New York Times about J-Law's ballet training for this film:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/a...ype=collection
Old 02-28-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Jennifer was/is on Howard Stern this morning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.