Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017, D: Vaughn) - Rumors, news, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 08:59 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

A sequel to the surprise blockbuster “Kingsman: The Secret Service” is in the works at Fox.

There was no announcement by the studio or a timetable, but there will be a followup to the R-rated comic book adaptation directed by Matthew Vaughn and starring Colin Firth, individuals with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

It makes sense. The London-set “Kingsman: The Secret Service” crossed the $400 million mark at the global box office this weekend. It generated most of that — about $275 million — from abroad.

It became clear Fox had a hit on its hands when it opened to $41 million against “Fifty Shades of Grey” over the Presidents Day holiday weekend in the U.S.

Samuel Jackson, Michael Caine and Taron Egerton co-starred in “Kingsman,” which had an $80 million production budget. Vaughn also co-wrote with Jane Goldman and produced the film, which was based on the comic book “The Secret Service” created by Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons.

The London-based Vaughn, who directed 2011’s “X-Men: First Class” for Fox and “Kick-Ass,” has a busy schedule.

He’s in line to direct “Flash Gordon,’ a Fox reboot of the 1930s comic book series that led to a series of Buster Crabbe serials and a 1980 movie. Vaughn is also working on a film for Fox about Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards, who became the U.K.’s first Olympic ski jumper in 1988. And Vaughn is developing another adaptation of a comic book for Fox, “The Golden Age,” about superheroes in a retirement home.

He and Valerie Van Galder are producing “Ghostgirl,” based on the best-selling young adult novel series by Tonya Hurley, about a high school senior who feels invisible and suddenly really is, when she dies.
http://www.thewrap.com/kingsman-the-...fox-exclusive/
Old 06-11-15, 03:42 PM

Re: Kingsman: The Secret Service 2 - Rumors, news, etc.

Matthew Vaughn’s ‘Kingsman: The Secret Service’ was a smash-hit at the box office earlier this year and fans of the film will be pleased to hear that a sequel is very much on the cards.

Yahoo Movies was invited to Vaughn’s house (yes, that happened) to talk to him about the release of ‘Kingsman’ on Digital HD, Blu-Ray and DVD, where he confirmed he was working on a follow up to the hit.

“Well, the good news is that I’m writing it next door at the moment. If I think I can get the script good enough, then we are making it,” he said.

“We are doing our damndest to make that happen.”

Vaughn also hinted that there might be a new addition to the Kingsman team, alluding to an American agent appearing in the (proposed) sequel.

The British director rarely returns to a franchise for a sequel, so fans might be wondering whether he’ll return for ‘Kingsman 2’.

Well, good news! He told us that “I’m in love with these characters and I want to work with them again so I’ll probably be breaking the rule of [me] tending not to make sequels.”
https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/matthew-...271683336.html
Old 06-11-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Well, there's one big casting question anyone who's seen the movie wants to know, and it's not been addressed here....

Old 09-30-15, 10:24 AM

Looks like the sequel is going to happen... for now anyway...
Taron Egerton is learning that being a rising star can be complicated. The 25-year-old English actor broke big this year with Kingsman: The Secret Service, director Matthew Vaughn's surprise action hit that grossed $412.1 million worldwide. 20th Century Fox, which has a sequel option on Egerton, now wants another installment and is planning a shoot starting in April despite not yet having a script.

However, after Kingsman made him an in-demand actor, Egerton nabbed the plum lead in Robin Hood: Origins, Lionsgate's take on the medieval archer being produced by Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way. That movie is looking to begin shooting in February, and its scope and length would create a conflict with Kingsman 2. At this stage, Fox isn't budging. Its option on Egerton puts it in first position, meaning Kingsman 2 could trump Hood. However, Lionsgate is further ahead in preproduction and is making offers to actors to play Hood's Merry Men.

Usually a hot actor's reps (in this case, CAA) can navigate scheduling spats, but in this unusual instance it will be up to the studios. (A similar tug-of-war erupted between Fox and Lionsgate over Jennifer Lawrence's obligations to X-Men and The Hunger Games, respectively.) Insiders believe things will be worked out, which would be good news for Egerton, who soon could be the star of two studio franchises.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...book_201509230
Old 10-01-15, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The first movie was really entertaining with a couple of mis-steps (that end gag just felt completely flat for me. Crude for the sake of a quick laugh and whilst it felt right for the type of character he is, it just felt wrong to end the movie on that "bum" note).

A sequel could be great and the return of the character Decker is alluding to is a must if you ask me.
Old 10-12-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

October 12, 2015 4:37pm PT by Borys Kit
Robin Hood Reboot Pushed for 'Kingsman 2' Shoot (Exclusive)
Actor Taron Egerton had been caught between the dueling schedules of Liongate’s 'Robin Hood' reboot and 'Kingsman 2.'

Taron Egerton’s 2016 has gotten clearer.

The rising star, who broke through with the Matthew Vaughn-directed comic book adaptation Kingsman: The Secret Service, had been caught between the dueling schedules of Liongate’s Robin Hood reboot and Kingsman 2.

The latter had been distributed by Fox but was produced and financed by Vaughn and his MARV Films banner. MARV, which had first dibs on the actor, had planted its flag for an April shoot while Lionsgate was aiming for a February start.

The situation didn’t look rosy last week, when Vaughn exercised his option on the actor, meaning that Kingsman 2 was going ahead no matter what, throwing Robin Hood: Origins temporarily into a loop. Would it wait for Egerton or recast?

But now that the dust has settled, THR has learned that Hood will shoot, with Egerton, after Kingsman wraps, likely at the end of summer 2016.

The moves have opened up Egerton’s winter slot but it may not lie vacant for long. Sources tell THR that the actor is attached to star in Crooks County, an indie crime drama package that is hitting the town. The project tells the true tale of a whistleblower involved in an undercover FBI operation in 1980s Cook County, Illinois, that resulted in the largest number of convictions of government officials in American history. Aron Gaudet and Gita Pullapilly wrote the script.
Old 10-21-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Kingsman: The Secret Service: 20th Century Fox Sets June 16, 2017, Release Date for Movie's Sequel
The sequel to "Kingsman: The Secret Service" will also feature lead actor Taron Egerton, 20th Century Fox announced Wednesday. The original movie was based on the comic book "The Secret Service."
Old 02-17-16, 01:21 PM

Re: Kingsman: The Secret Service 2 (2017) - Rumors, news, etc.

Julianne Moore is in talks to play the villain in The Kingsman 2, the sequel to the Fox surprise hit that starred Colin Firth and Taron Egerton.

Matthew Vaughn is back in the director’s chair for the continuing adventures of a wayward tough (Egerton) from the wrong side of London who is taken in by a suave and sophisticated agent (Firth) and, a la Pygmalion, is turned into the best and brightest of operatives.

Egerton is back with the action said to move from London to the States.

Firth is not due to come back at this stage (his character died in the first movie and there was initial talk of finding ways to return the actor to the roll call, whether via flashback or even a twin brother, but those ideas were discarded, according to sources).

Details for Moore’s character were not revealed but it is understood that she will be the piece’s bad guy, if a deal makes. The Oscar-winning actress is juggling several projects, including Todd Haynes’ adaptation of kids book Wonderstruck, and scheduling conflicts could be one obstacle.

The movie is heading toward a May start for what will be a summer shoot.

Moore, who won an Oscar last year for Still Alice, last appeared The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 as the scheming President Coin.

She is repped by CAA.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20160217
Old 02-17-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Not sure I'm down for US setting.

Would be good to deal with building up the depleted Service and the struggles with still trying to master the job.
Old 02-17-16, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't really care for a sequel but whatever. I'll roll w/ it if it looks good.
Old 02-17-16, 02:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm just hoping the sequel will have the same energy as the first. But Vaughn is directing again, so I imagine it will be. I was surprised by Kingsman, and really enjoyed it. I could see this as a franchise, provided they kept up with the quality. And it would be nice to have Firth back, but who knows after what happened in the first one.
Old 02-17-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I seem to be one of the few who found the first to be averagely enjoyable and nothing more. Didn't care for Egerton at all, Jackson was terrible and only Firth kept it interesting. But I'm also not a big fan of Vaughn's style, which is a bit like Snyder-lite to my eyes.

Also, for everyone clamoring that Firth simply MUST return... why? And how? Accept it. Bringing him back would be a weak move, robbing the first film of a powerful moment.
Old 02-17-16, 03:12 PM
Banned by request

Not saying Firth MUST return, but you said it yourself, he kept it interesting. That's my main reason why I'd like to see him back. And they stretched the reality enough, it wouldn't seem unrealistic to see him back in one form or another.
Old 02-17-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd rather they not shoehorn Firth in unless the story really calls for it. Anyway, down for more. Loved the first movie.
Old 02-17-16, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

As long as Mark Strong is back I'm in.
Old 02-19-16, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Seems like there could be a whole movie around what happens after you kill all the global leaders and elite.
Old 02-19-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
As long as Mark Strong is back I'm in.
Given his frequent participation in Vaughn movies, it's hard to imagine that he wouldn't be.

While he was one of the best things in the first movie; it's hard to come up with a good way to bring Firth back.

Really Eggsy, Merlin, and Roxy are the only characters alive that would need to come back. I think they've gotten all of the laughs they could get out of Princess Tilde.
Old 02-19-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firth was never shown dead. Jackson had an aversion to blood but managed to shoot him in the head. Weather he shot him through the head or grazed his head is not really known. I am not saying it is the best explanation but I think they could get away with a grazing shot with lots of blood (which all head wounds produce).

If they really want him back, they have a way to bring him back. Unlike the guy at the start of the movie whom we saw get cut literally in half.
Old 02-19-16, 10:42 AM
Banned by request

But he could be back too. We don't know he died from getting cut in half.
Old 02-19-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Firth was never shown dead. Jackson had an aversion to blood but managed to shoot him in the head. Weather he shot him through the head or grazed his head is not really known. I am not saying it is the best explanation but I think they could get away with a grazing shot with lots of blood (which all head wounds produce).

If they really want him back, they have a way to bring him back. Unlike the guy at the start of the movie whom we saw get cut literally in half.
I absolutely HATE shit like this. It's the laziest way for writers to get out a jam when they want to bring back a character.
Old 02-19-16, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
The first movie was really entertaining with a couple of mis-steps (that end gag just felt completely flat for me. Crude for the sake of a quick laugh and whilst it felt right for the type of character he is, it just felt wrong to end the movie on that "bum" note).

A sequel could be great and the return of the character Decker is alluding to is a must if you ask me.
My boss brought his son to his first R rated action movie then found himself embarrassed at the ending trying to explain why a girl would want to offer that instead of something else
Old 02-19-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I absolutely HATE shit like this. It's the laziest way for writers to get out a jam when they want to bring back a character.
Exactly, if it is so important to have Colin Firth back I'd rather he play a new character.
Old 02-20-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

^This.

The character had to be killed anyway. Even with the mind-control excuse, he could not be redeemed after that.
Old 02-20-16, 08:21 PM
Banned by request

Now I'm hoping he'll show up the first 5 minutes of the movie just to piss everyone off here. And even better, they don't say a damn thing about him being shot in the last film, just him smiling at the camera.

Just keep in mind, several movies have had people shot in the head and lived. Robocop, X-Men, Regarding Henry, Uma in Kill Bill...Maybe he'll be back clad in Robo-armor.

Last edited by E Unit; 02-20-16 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-20-16, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Didn't care for Egerton at all
I thought he was terrific. And felt like it was a star making performance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.