Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

View Poll Results: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
7 10.61%
7 10.61%
37 56.06%
8 12.12%
4 6.06%
2 3.03%
0 0%
0 0%
1 1.52%
0 0%
0 0%
What are you high? 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-08-17, 03:24 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,581
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Looking ahead to casting for the sequel, I don't really know who would work. Skarsgard will obviously reprise his role. I am kind of hoping that since they worked together on "Mama" that Muschetti might be able to land Jessica Chastain for the older Beverly.
Yeah, I was thinking about this too. It's going to be hard to get a cast together for a sequel that were as good as the cast in this film. The kids in this had great chemistry and while recasting is essential to the plot it's too bad the sequel won't feature the same cast. Also I feel like a sequel won't be as interesting seeing as it's going to be in more modern times as opposed to the 80s setting which I felt made this more fun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 03:52 PM   #27
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 4,082
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

As with most King stories, the ending was the weakest part ... I had thought they might keep some of the original ending once they introduced Bill’s “he thrusts his fists” chant and then had Beverly lost to the deadlights. Having her being awoken by Ben and then Pennywise’s demise was a bit too hokey for me.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this movie. I loved the book but am not a huge horror movie fan so I was a bit nervous seeeing this. I’m not sure if familiarity with the story helped or just that I’m more affected by haunting movies than monster movies but this one did not bother me in the slightest. I thought it was a fairly compact script considering how much had to be cut. Henry Bowers and crew felt kind of wedged in, especially without a) the need to drive them into the sewers unprepared or b) making the point that he could hurt them no matter what they believed.


On a personal note, I was sorry for the dramatic change to Mike’s backstory. I really liked his dad as a character to balance the other abusive or absent parents. It was also very obvious the pains the script took to have bullies taunt Mike omitting racial slurs ... because bullies in the 1980s had pc sensibilities.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 03:52 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 30,560
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
sometimes people forget or don't want to. wish more would...
Even if you don't want to post a comment only takes a second to vote.
__________________
"Pear Pimples for Hairy Fishnuts!"

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 04:30 PM   #29
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Rialto, CA
Posts: 5,197
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I don't scare as easily as I used to, but holy shit, this movie made my fucking skin crawl. I really want to see it again.
__________________
The question is not how far, the question is do you posses the constitution...the depth of faith to go as far as is needed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 06:38 PM   #30
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,536
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Saw it today and loved it. Not sure what one poster is on about wirh bad CGI, but i thought it was excellent throughout. The kids were great in this, cinematography excellent, score was fantastic. And Pennywise was superb. Creepy as hell and some interesting things i have never seen before.

I am glad that they didnt add in Freddy or Jason or any other known characters as it would be too much of a talking point and take away from the characters and Pennywise. I gave it 5 stars and cannot wait for Chapter 2.

Oh, and i thought the kid who played Bev was the spitting image of Amy Adams and would see her being cast in thr next movie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 07:52 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 14,917
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Saw it last night at the Alamo Drafthouse. I liked it but it didn't floor me.

I loved the opening scene, as well as the non-Horror moments with The Loser's Club. Bill Skarsgård was fantastic as Pennywise, really taking advantage of the re-imagined look of that character. As far as The Loser's Club, Sophia Lillis (Beverly) & Jack Dylan Grazer (Eddie) were my favorite characters in the group and loved every single time those two were on-screen.

It's unpopular opinion (even among the members of the Horror Site I write for), but I felt Finn Wolfhard (Richie) was distracting. I appreciated that the jokes he made were very appropriate for the time period and his age but they came way too often, felt forced and usually would take me out of a scene that the others worked so hard to build. At least with Eddie's character, his jokes were usually on the move, in a way that I could laugh along with what he was physically doing and/or interacting with. Richie's jokes just felt like they physically stopped every scene they capped.

As with others, I thought the CG was rough but many of the set pieces were strong, like the Neibolt House or the sewers. In the end, I honestly enjoyed the non-Horror elements quite a bit more than all the times the film was trying to scare me.
__________________
DVDTalk "B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-In Challenge"
2015 2011 2010

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009

Last edited by asianxcore; 09-09-17 at 02:19 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 08:04 PM   #32
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 6,378
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Did this movie have the
Spoiler:
gang bang

scene from the book?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 08:48 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 14,917
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Did this movie have the
Spoiler:
gang bang

scene from the book?
Nope
__________________
DVDTalk "B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-In Challenge"
2015 2011 2010

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 09:33 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,581
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
It's unpopular opinion (even among the members of the Horror Site I write for), but I felt Finn Wolfhard (Richie) was distracting. I appreciated that the jokes he made were very appropriate for the time period and his age but they came way too often, felt forced and usually would take me out of a scene that the others worked so hard to build. At least with Eddie's character, his jokes were usually on the move, in a way that I could laugh along with what he was physically doing and/or interacting with but also laugh at the same time. Richie's jokes just felt like they physically stopped every scene they capped.
I agree actually. He was funny at first but I felt like his character was played out after a while with his quippy comments and jokes. I'm not the biggest fan of Stranger Things either which so many seem to adore.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 09:58 PM   #35
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,371
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

As with his past film 'Mama' Andy Muschietti's attention to the sound design is in top form for 'It' - the Dolby Atmos mix at times is assaultive and equally creative in where eerie sound cues occur on or off screen and when a scene goes full on throttle mode - it's meant to nearly deafen you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 11:05 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,269
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob007 View Post
As with most King stories, the ending was the weakest part ... I had thought they might keep some of the original ending once they introduced Bill’s “he thrusts his fists” chant and then had Beverly lost to the deadlights. Having her being awoken by Ben and then Pennywise’s demise was a bit too hokey for me.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this movie. I loved the book but am not a huge horror movie fan so I was a bit nervous seeeing this. I’m not sure if familiarity with the story helped or just that I’m more affected by haunting movies than monster movies but this one did not bother me in the slightest. I thought it was a fairly compact script considering how much had to be cut. Henry Bowers and crew felt kind of wedged in, especially without a) the need to drive them into the sewers unprepared or b) making the point that he could hurt them no matter what they believed.


On a personal note, I was sorry for the dramatic change to Mike’s backstory. I really liked his dad as a character to balance the other abusive or absent parents. It was also very obvious the pains the script took to have bullies taunt Mike omitting racial slurs ... because bullies in the 1980s had pc sensibilities.
So they removed all the racist and anti Semitic tension? That's pretty essential to the point of the story.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 11:46 PM   #37
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Crocker Jarmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,373
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob007 View Post
It was also very obvious the pains the script took to have bullies taunt Mike omitting racial slurs ... because bullies in the 1980s had pc sensibilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
So they removed all the racist and anti Semitic tension? That's pretty essential to the point of the story.
I was 11 years old in 1989, and I can assure you bullies taunted black and foreign kids with all kinds of slurs.
__________________
Red Coat Black Coat
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 12:00 AM   #38
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 2,848
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Just got back from watching this and I really enjoyed it (voted 4 stars). I'm not big on the modern horror genre because they all seem so bland and derivative of each other (not to mention, not scary). I found this, while still not scary to me, was unsettling. Really vivid imagery with each of their fears. I had my doubts about the new Pennywise (having grown up with Tim Curry's version), but Skarsgard was pretty great with his take on the mad clown. The chemistry between the kids was great as well, I only wish they got to flesh out all of them.
__________________
Ruler of all that I survey...and that ain't much!
WiiU ID: ButrzRulz
Xbox ID: ButrzRulz
PSN ID: ButrzRulz
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 12:10 AM   #39
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 54,640
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I loved it. It was creepy but not all that scary. It definitely belongs in the upper echelon of King adaptations that are close to their source(Shawshank, Misery, Green Mile, The Mist).

I loved the way Pennywise moved with that stutter shake toward the camera. I also loved the drooling as if he were hungry for his victim.

The score was amazing. The cast was great. I thought Stanley was the weakest. Of course he had the least amount to do. Just an occasional complaint about not wanting any part in this. Ben seemed to get the shaft as well. The triangle with him, Bill and Bev was kinda rushed. The scene of them swimming was fantastic and brings me to my only real complaint... I'm with Stanley, they were supposed to have fun. They didn't show them just being kids and growing that friendship enough, especially Mike. They saved him from getting his ass kicked and then it's off to the finale. Maybe they held some back for the sequel.

Some minor differences from the book
The good:
not seeing Beverly get molested by her dad
no gangbang/train at the end
shifting the placebo talk with Eddie to the kid. The parmacist giving that talk to Eddie was kinda weird in the book

The bad:
omitting the racism and anti-gay overtones. Setting the movie in the 80's at the height of the AIDS scare, the anti-gay stuff would have been a natural fit. Also the Bowers scenes seemed forced/weird without the racism.

Lastly, people wanted Freddy Kruger and Jason Vorhees in this? ...the hell?
__________________

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 01:58 AM   #40
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,550
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I seem to echo the majority of the comments. More laughs than scares for me, however. And I thought (The first half of) Conjuring 2 & Annabelle:Creation had better jump scares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Lastly, people wanted Freddy Kruger and Jason Vorhees in this? ...the hell?
Well, Freddy does make a cameo actually (At the movie theater) that does always make me wonder that if both this and the miniseries were properties of Universal, would we have gotten to see The Mummy,Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster as we did in the book?
__________________
F-nado
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 01:58 AM   #41
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Rialto, CA
Posts: 5,197
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Did this movie have the
Spoiler:
gang bang

scene from the book?
Ew...
__________________
The question is not how far, the question is do you posses the constitution...the depth of faith to go as far as is needed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 05:47 AM   #42
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 27,122
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Did this movie have the
Spoiler:
gang bang

scene from the book?
__________________
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 09:19 AM   #43
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Defiant1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,112
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Saw it last night and thought it was great. The Neibolt haunted house set was built just minutes from where I lived as a kid. I biked that street all the time!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 10:45 AM   #44
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,554
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about this too. It's going to be hard to get a cast together for a sequel that were as good as the cast in this film. The kids in this had great chemistry and while recasting is essential to the plot it's too bad the sequel won't feature the same cast. Also I feel like a sequel won't be as interesting seeing as it's going to be in more modern times as opposed to the 80s setting which I felt made this more fun.
Exactly. What's more is that in the book getting the gang back together involved a bunch of phone calls and locating everyone. (In all honesty, the first 100 pages or so gives the reader some insight into the characters that helps a bit with understanding them as kids in the movie.) I fully expect everyone to reconnect via social media in the sequel and we'll probably have Pennywise magically appear as a "friend."
Kind of torn on casting. If Chastain was indeed older Beverly from the get go, then she could work as she's a bottom A-lister people recognize but is able to disappear into her roles well enough to not be distracting. Chiwetel Ejiofar might work as Mike and not be a distraction. If they get Ryan Reynolds as Richie that would be a complete distraction. Casting unknown child actors was the major strength for this chapter as we actually got to see the characters.
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 11:17 AM   #45
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,256
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Exactly. What's more is that in the book getting the gang back together involved a bunch of phone calls and locating everyone. (In all honesty, the first 100 pages or so gives the reader some insight into the characters that helps a bit with understanding them as kids in the movie.) I fully expect everyone to reconnect via social media in the sequel and we'll probably have Pennywise magically appear as a "friend."
Kind of torn on casting. If Chastain was indeed older Beverly from the get go, then she could work as she's a bottom A-lister people recognize but is able to disappear into her roles well enough to not be distracting. Chiwetel Ejiofar might work as Mike and not be a distraction. If they get Ryan Reynolds as Richie that would be a complete distraction. Casting unknown child actors was the major strength for this chapter as we actually got to see the characters.
I imagine it'd be more setup like Utopia, where the members of the forum meet up to see the conspiracy laden comic book. But you know, killer clown and they already know each other.

That or a Comic Con situation. Hah.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 01:35 PM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Rialto, CA
Posts: 5,197
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post


__________________
The question is not how far, the question is do you posses the constitution...the depth of faith to go as far as is needed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 02:56 PM   #47
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 6,883
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I'm lying in bed, a little under the weather, and tapped into this thread. I adjusted my body and must've tapped your photo because when I settled in and looked at my phone again, all I saw was a white screen. Then, this guy popping in. I thought for a second IB had a sense of humor about the pop-up ads, or something!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 04:04 PM   #48
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 32,465
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

It...good movie. very creepy. kept thinking Stranger Things with violence and mayhem. liked it, didn't love it. seemed like the same scene was repeated over and over. look in there, see something creepy, rinse, repeat. the end a little anti-climatic. battle could have raged on, but oh well. still, very effective and would like to see what happens next.

so the kids floating down after Pennywise demise, were they all still alive?

__________________
"be kind rewind" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 04:22 PM   #49
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Rialto, CA
Posts: 5,197
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
It...good movie. very creepy. kept thinking Stranger Things with violence and mayhem. liked it, didn't love it. seemed like the same scene was repeated over and over. look in there, see something creepy, rinse, repeat. the end a little anti-climatic. battle could have raged on, but oh well. still, very effective and would like to see what happens next.

so the kids floating down after Pennywise demise, were they all still alive?

No they are dead, most of them have been eaten and even when his spell is broken, would not survive their wounds.
__________________
The question is not how far, the question is do you posses the constitution...the depth of faith to go as far as is needed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 05:19 PM   #50
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 32,465
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

gotcha. didn't think so. thanks.
__________________
"be kind rewind" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0