Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.59%
10.96%
56.16%
10.96%
6.85%
2.74%
0%
1.37%
1.37%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 09-08-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looking ahead to casting for the sequel, I don't really know who would work. Skarsgard will obviously reprise his role. I am kind of hoping that since they worked together on "Mama" that Muschetti might be able to land Jessica Chastain for the older Beverly.
Yeah, I was thinking about this too. It's going to be hard to get a cast together for a sequel that were as good as the cast in this film. The kids in this had great chemistry and while recasting is essential to the plot it's too bad the sequel won't feature the same cast. Also I feel like a sequel won't be as interesting seeing as it's going to be in more modern times as opposed to the 80s setting which I felt made this more fun.
Old 09-08-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As with most King stories, the ending was the weakest part ... I had thought they might keep some of the original ending once they introduced Bill’s “he thrusts his fists” chant and then had Beverly lost to the deadlights. Having her being awoken by Ben and then Pennywise’s demise was a bit too hokey for me.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this movie. I loved the book but am not a huge horror movie fan so I was a bit nervous seeeing this. I’m not sure if familiarity with the story helped or just that I’m more affected by haunting movies than monster movies but this one did not bother me in the slightest. I thought it was a fairly compact script considering how much had to be cut. Henry Bowers and crew felt kind of wedged in, especially without a) the need to drive them into the sewers unprepared or b) making the point that he could hurt them no matter what they believed.

On a personal note, I was sorry for the dramatic change to Mike’s backstory. I really liked his dad as a character to balance the other abusive or absent parents. It was also very obvious the pains the script took to have bullies taunt Mike omitting racial slurs ... because bullies in the 1980s had pc sensibilities.
Old 09-08-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
sometimes people forget or don't want to. wish more would...
Even if you don't want to post a comment only takes a second to vote.
Old 09-08-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't scare as easily as I used to, but holy shit, this movie made my fucking skin crawl. I really want to see it again.
Old 09-08-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Saw it today and loved it. Not sure what one poster is on about wirh bad CGI, but i thought it was excellent throughout. The kids were great in this, cinematography excellent, score was fantastic. And Pennywise was superb. Creepy as hell and some interesting things i have never seen before.

I am glad that they didnt add in Freddy or Jason or any other known characters as it would be too much of a talking point and take away from the characters and Pennywise. I gave it 5 stars and cannot wait for Chapter 2.

Oh, and i thought the kid who played Bev was the spitting image of Amy Adams and would see her being cast in thr next movie.
Old 09-08-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Saw it last night at the Alamo Drafthouse. I liked it but it didn't floor me.

I loved the opening scene, as well as the non-Horror moments with The Loser's Club. Bill Skarsgĺrd was fantastic as Pennywise, really taking advantage of the re-imagined look of that character. As far as The Loser's Club, Sophia Lillis (Beverly) & Jack Dylan Grazer (Eddie) were my favorite characters in the group and loved every single time those two were on-screen.

It's unpopular opinion (even among the members of the Horror Site I write for), but I felt Finn Wolfhard (Richie) was distracting. I appreciated that the jokes he made were very appropriate for the time period and his age but they came way too often, felt forced and usually would take me out of a scene that the others worked so hard to build. At least with Eddie's character, his jokes were usually on the move, in a way that I could laugh along with what he was physically doing and/or interacting with. Richie's jokes just felt like they physically stopped every scene they capped.

As with others, I thought the CG was rough but many of the set pieces were strong, like the Neibolt House or the sewers. In the end, I honestly enjoyed the non-Horror elements quite a bit more than all the times the film was trying to scare me.

Last edited by asianxcore; 09-09-17 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-08-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Did this movie have the
Spoiler:
gang bang

scene from the book?
Old 09-08-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Did this movie have the
Spoiler:
gang bang

scene from the book?
Nope
Old 09-08-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It's unpopular opinion (even among the members of the Horror Site I write for), but I felt Finn Wolfhard (Richie) was distracting. I appreciated that the jokes he made were very appropriate for the time period and his age but they came way too often, felt forced and usually would take me out of a scene that the others worked so hard to build. At least with Eddie's character, his jokes were usually on the move, in a way that I could laugh along with what he was physically doing and/or interacting with but also laugh at the same time. Richie's jokes just felt like they physically stopped every scene they capped.
I agree actually. He was funny at first but I felt like his character was played out after a while with his quippy comments and jokes. I'm not the biggest fan of Stranger Things either which so many seem to adore.
Old 09-08-17, 08:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As with his past film 'Mama' Andy Muschietti's attention to the sound design is in top form for 'It' - the Dolby Atmos mix at times is assaultive and equally creative in where eerie sound cues occur on or off screen and when a scene goes full on throttle mode - it's meant to nearly deafen you.
Old 09-08-17, 10:05 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbob007
As with most King stories, the ending was the weakest part ... I had thought they might keep some of the original ending once they introduced Bill’s “he thrusts his fists” chant and then had Beverly lost to the deadlights. Having her being awoken by Ben and then Pennywise’s demise was a bit too hokey for me.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this movie. I loved the book but am not a huge horror movie fan so I was a bit nervous seeeing this. I’m not sure if familiarity with the story helped or just that I’m more affected by haunting movies than monster movies but this one did not bother me in the slightest. I thought it was a fairly compact script considering how much had to be cut. Henry Bowers and crew felt kind of wedged in, especially without a) the need to drive them into the sewers unprepared or b) making the point that he could hurt them no matter what they believed.

On a personal note, I was sorry for the dramatic change to Mike’s backstory. I really liked his dad as a character to balance the other abusive or absent parents. It was also very obvious the pains the script took to have bullies taunt Mike omitting racial slurs ... because bullies in the 1980s had pc sensibilities.
So they removed all the racist and anti Semitic tension? That's pretty essential to the point of the story.
Old 09-08-17, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbob007
It was also very obvious the pains the script took to have bullies taunt Mike omitting racial slurs ... because bullies in the 1980s had pc sensibilities.
Originally Posted by Mabuse
So they removed all the racist and anti Semitic tension? That's pretty essential to the point of the story.
I was 11 years old in 1989, and I can assure you bullies taunted black and foreign kids with all kinds of slurs.
Old 09-08-17, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Just got back from watching this and I really enjoyed it (voted 4 stars). I'm not big on the modern horror genre because they all seem so bland and derivative of each other (not to mention, not scary). I found this, while still not scary to me, was unsettling. Really vivid imagery with each of their fears. I had my doubts about the new Pennywise (having grown up with Tim Curry's version), but Skarsgard was pretty great with his take on the mad clown. The chemistry between the kids was great as well, I only wish they got to flesh out all of them.
Old 09-08-17, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I loved it. It was creepy but not all that scary. It definitely belongs in the upper echelon of King adaptations that are close to their source(Shawshank, Misery, Green Mile, The Mist).

I loved the way Pennywise moved with that stutter shake toward the camera. I also loved the drooling as if he were hungry for his victim.

The score was amazing. The cast was great. I thought Stanley was the weakest. Of course he had the least amount to do. Just an occasional complaint about not wanting any part in this. Ben seemed to get the shaft as well. The triangle with him, Bill and Bev was kinda rushed. The scene of them swimming was fantastic and brings me to my only real complaint... I'm with Stanley, they were supposed to have fun. They didn't show them just being kids and growing that friendship enough, especially Mike. They saved him from getting his ass kicked and then it's off to the finale. Maybe they held some back for the sequel.

Some minor differences from the book
The good:
not seeing Beverly get molested by her dad
no gangbang/train at the end
shifting the placebo talk with Eddie to the kid. The parmacist giving that talk to Eddie was kinda weird in the book

The bad:
omitting the racism and anti-gay overtones. Setting the movie in the 80's at the height of the AIDS scare, the anti-gay stuff would have been a natural fit. Also the Bowers scenes seemed forced/weird without the racism.

Lastly, people wanted Freddy Kruger and Jason Vorhees in this? ...the hell?
Old 09-09-17, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I seem to echo the majority of the comments. More laughs than scares for me, however. And I thought (The first half of) Conjuring 2 & Annabelle:Creation had better jump scares.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Lastly, people wanted Freddy Kruger and Jason Vorhees in this? ...the hell?
Well, Freddy does make a cameo actually (At the movie theater) that does always make me wonder that if both this and the miniseries were properties of Universal, would we have gotten to see The Mummy,Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster as we did in the book?
Old 09-09-17, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did this movie have the
Spoiler:
gang bang

scene from the book?
Ew...
Old 09-09-17, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Did this movie have the
Spoiler:
gang bang

scene from the book?
Old 09-09-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw it last night and thought it was great. The Neibolt haunted house set was built just minutes from where I lived as a kid. I biked that street all the time!
Old 09-09-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, I was thinking about this too. It's going to be hard to get a cast together for a sequel that were as good as the cast in this film. The kids in this had great chemistry and while recasting is essential to the plot it's too bad the sequel won't feature the same cast. Also I feel like a sequel won't be as interesting seeing as it's going to be in more modern times as opposed to the 80s setting which I felt made this more fun.
Exactly. What's more is that in the book getting the gang back together involved a bunch of phone calls and locating everyone. (In all honesty, the first 100 pages or so gives the reader some insight into the characters that helps a bit with understanding them as kids in the movie.) I fully expect everyone to reconnect via social media in the sequel and we'll probably have Pennywise magically appear as a "friend."
Kind of torn on casting. If Chastain was indeed older Beverly from the get go, then she could work as she's a bottom A-lister people recognize but is able to disappear into her roles well enough to not be distracting. Chiwetel Ejiofar might work as Mike and not be a distraction. If they get Ryan Reynolds as Richie that would be a complete distraction. Casting unknown child actors was the major strength for this chapter as we actually got to see the characters.
Old 09-09-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Exactly. What's more is that in the book getting the gang back together involved a bunch of phone calls and locating everyone. (In all honesty, the first 100 pages or so gives the reader some insight into the characters that helps a bit with understanding them as kids in the movie.) I fully expect everyone to reconnect via social media in the sequel and we'll probably have Pennywise magically appear as a "friend."
Kind of torn on casting. If Chastain was indeed older Beverly from the get go, then she could work as she's a bottom A-lister people recognize but is able to disappear into her roles well enough to not be distracting. Chiwetel Ejiofar might work as Mike and not be a distraction. If they get Ryan Reynolds as Richie that would be a complete distraction. Casting unknown child actors was the major strength for this chapter as we actually got to see the characters.
I imagine it'd be more setup like Utopia, where the members of the forum meet up to see the conspiracy laden comic book. But you know, killer clown and they already know each other.

That or a Comic Con situation. Hah.
Old 09-09-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Old 09-09-17, 01:56 PM

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm lying in bed, a little under the weather, and tapped into this thread. I adjusted my body and must've tapped your photo because when I settled in and looked at my phone again, all I saw was a white screen. Then, this guy popping in. I thought for a second IB had a sense of humor about the pop-up ads, or something!
Old 09-09-17, 03:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

It...good movie. very creepy. kept thinking Stranger Things with violence and mayhem. liked it, didn't love it. seemed like the same scene was repeated over and over. look in there, see something creepy, rinse, repeat. the end a little anti-climatic. battle could have raged on, but oh well. still, very effective and would like to see what happens next.

so the kids floating down after Pennywise demise, were they all still alive?

Old 09-09-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
It...good movie. very creepy. kept thinking Stranger Things with violence and mayhem. liked it, didn't love it. seemed like the same scene was repeated over and over. look in there, see something creepy, rinse, repeat. the end a little anti-climatic. battle could have raged on, but oh well. still, very effective and would like to see what happens next.

so the kids floating down after Pennywise demise, were they all still alive?

No they are dead, most of them have been eaten and even when his spell is broken, would not survive their wounds.
Old 09-09-17, 04:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

gotcha. didn't think so. thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.